Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

nine-gear crow posted:

"Woke" has also lost its magic because people started asking them to define it and they all melt down in an incoherent ramble trying to answer it. So woke is out now too.

Woke is just anything conservatives don't like at this point. I saw an article calling a tennis tournament woke because they had some kind of rules that the spectators couldn't talk during play or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

nine-gear crow posted:

Because she's black and she's popular and she wants to hold other people accountable for their poo poo?

Seems likely given that it's Missouri, but:

Accipiter posted:

I mean if her or her staff did what they think may have been done, then the investigation is warranted.

If it happens a lot and she's the only one getting pulled into a show for it, then they need to go after everyone. But we don't know that's the case.

There is this, as well. If she's getting pulled over only because she's a minority, I hope she documents it start to finish so there's a big loving showdown and not just a quiet sweeping under the rug.

Mulaney Power Move posted:

Woke is just anything conservatives don't like at this point. I saw an article calling a tennis tournament woke because they had some kind of rules that the spectators couldn't talk during play or something.

Yeah, it's just the latest Little Golden Book of Everything I Don't Like™, which unfortunately is the heaviest nuance by volume of modern (and maybe even ancient) political discourse.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1752357186188271647

zone
Dec 6, 2016

:garak:

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
The border issue just flipped and it's hilarious. Democrats being the party that wants to secure the border, while Republicans dont isn't something I was expecting to see. Now they really have nothing to campaign on. At all.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Philthy posted:

The border issue just flipped and it's hilarious. Democrats being the party that wants to secure the border, while Republicans dont isn't something I was expecting to see. Now they really have nothing to campaign on. At all.
They have “TRUMP” (Me!)

beef sweat
Jan 1, 2013

Philthy posted:

ELECTION INTERFERENCE!!!!!

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Philthy posted:

Well the Republicans want to "secure" the border in that they want to be able to freely maim and murder any brown folks who are crossing said border. Dems are trying to help in non-warcrimey sort of ways from what I can tell.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Philthy posted:

Homie there was never anything that the Republicans wanted to actually do about the border, it's just a source of pork and campaign talking points.

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

Philthy posted:

Lucky for them they’re still domestic terrorists though so they still have a purpose at least

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

explosivo posted:

Well the Republicans want to "secure" the border in that they want to be able to freely maim and murder any brown folks who are crossing said border. Dems are trying to help in non-warcrimey sort of ways from what I can tell.
Half wondering if all that bill stuff was a ploy given that Biden and co probably figured that this would happen

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Philthy posted:

Fret not, they'll just invent something else. SCARY CARAVAN FROM EL SALVADOR or some such.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Philthy posted:

Hey that's not true, they'll campaign on "women and minorities still have rights!! Vote for us, we'll get em all!!"

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Waffle House posted:

Homie there was never anything that the Republicans wanted to actually do about the border, it's just a source of pork and campaign talking points.

Right, but it's terrible optics right now for anyone. It shuts a lot of dumb arguments down pretty quick. They always went to the border. Now they can't. They know full well saying they can use current laws is not a winning subject because it would have been done already if they could. Trump lost in court every time he tried to do something with an EO.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

redshirt posted:

Fret not, they'll just invent something else. SCARY CARAVAN FROM EL SALVADOR or some such.

Isn't the current boogeyman the drug fentanyl?

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Hey Weird Mike, does your god know that you’re bearing false witness against your neighbor in deference to an idol that you’re putting before the LORD? Might want to cut that out, I’ve read chunks of the Old Testament and your god really doesn’t pull punches when people do this kinda poo poo!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I said come in! posted:

Isn't the current boogeyman the drug fentanyl?

That's a real issue, so they don't really care about it.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1752364183977382208

kuarduck
Nov 15, 2012

I'm in disguise, you stupid tart!

:gowron: I missed this emote getting added prior. Gonna get so much use in the days of modern Republicans

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Steadiman posted:

I don't think Texas could even launch them, I thought that was a rather important part of the process. Texas isn't gonna do poo poo

Assuming that a succession was accomplished peacefully (let's just roll with this fantasy for a minute), I would presume that part of the deal would be all federal military stuff, including the nukes, being removed from the state would be part of the process. Texas wouldn't just get to keep all the US Federal military stuff that happens to be stationed there, although of course they would get the base infrastructure that couldn't be moved. It is possible that in the case of ICBM's they would remove the warheads and destroy the missiles in the silo's or something.

But really any chatter about this is just for fun, as succession isn't something that is going to happen, it's just grandstanding by Texas politicians and groups.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

It's wild to me that they don't have a way to show their fun visual aids without requiring them to print it on a giant piece of cardstock. Must be fun to be the print shop who gets these requests on the reg.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

alligator moats are kinda cool though?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I said come in! posted:

alligator moats are kinda cool though?
Where do they get the water for the gator moats? What about feeding the gators if there aren’t enough migrants for them to eat?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Nessus posted:

Where do they get the water for the gator moats? What about feeding the gators if there aren’t enough migrants for them to eat?

Yeah these are actually good logistical questions that do need to be answered. Alligator moats are cool but might only really be practical around castles.

cptInsane0
Apr 11, 2007

...and a clown with no head

explosivo posted:

It's wild to me that they don't have a way to show their fun visual aids without requiring them to print it on a giant piece of cardstock. Must be fun to be the print shop who gets these requests on the reg.

0% chance they know how to make a PowerPoint.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Just dig a big trench between the US and Mexico and let the ocean fill it in. Bing bong so simple.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Philthy posted:

Eh, based on folks I've talked to irl, it hasn't changed much. The general reaction seems to be "of course Republicans aren't making a deal, if Trump gets elected they'll get everything they want anyway. And Biden could have done something earlier if he really cared about the issue."

Philthy posted:

Right, but it's terrible optics right now for anyone. It shuts a lot of dumb arguments down pretty quick. They always went to the border. Now they can't.

Sure they can. What's stopping them? The risk of being called a hypocrite? They don't care.

Explodingdice
Jun 28, 2023

Nessus posted:

The moat's a canal, clearly.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Waffle House posted:

:munch: I wouldn't be surprised if poo poo like this happens all the time, but Cori Bush was a convenient target for whatever reason.

Oh definitely. There's a certain amount of background grift/in competence that's always happening with elected officials. If the justice dept is investigating, though, it must have been extra egregious.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Just dig a big trench between the US and Mexico and let the ocean fill it in. Bing bong so simple.

Alligators have to be in freshwater.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

cptInsane0 posted:

0% chance they know how to make a PowerPoint.

I know, this is the sad part. They do it this way because 90% of the people in there would balk at the thought of using a computer.

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU

I said come in! posted:

Just use sharks, duh

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Nessus posted:

Snakes. We bring in a lot of water snakes.

Peter Falk
Sep 29, 2023

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

An added benefit of an east-west waterway would be the awesome surfing opportunity from the world’s longest tidal bore.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

I said come in! posted:

Details shmetails

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Philthy posted:

Right, but it's terrible optics right now for anyone. It shuts a lot of dumb arguments down pretty quick. They always went to the border. Now they can't. They know full well saying they can use current laws is not a winning subject because it would have been done already if they could. Trump lost in court every time he tried to do something with an EO.

From the look of it, we might be getting something of an exposé rather than what *I* usually fear, which is a chase of the status quo, followed by Nothing Changing.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Explodingdice posted:

The moat's a canal, clearly.

Just build a canal 50x the length of the Panama Canal, what’s the big deal? That project definitely didn’t run into any challenges or take 33 years to finish.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

explosivo posted:

The Congressional Print Shop has seen some poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

DaveWoo posted:

Sure they can. What's stopping them? The risk of being called a hypocrite? They don't care.

Media calling them out on them lying, like what just happened to weird Mike. They wont be able to dodge it without looking like schmucks.