Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

John Wick of Dogs posted:

1) They generally don't prescribe Adderall to kids, they have different medications for younger people

2) People with clinical depression who have to take antidepressants are more likely to commit suicide? No loving poo poo, dude!

There is an issue where some suicidal people who are deeply depressed are too depressed to gather the energy and effort for a suicide attempt and just shuffle on like husks. Then they get antidepressants, the energy levels in their brain suddenly spike, but the suicidal part of the brain is slower to respond to the meds, and suddenly they have the energy to kill themselves.

This is one of the reasons why diagnosis, dosage and followup is hard and important, but it does absolutely not mean we should stop using antidepressants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/treatment-tests-and-therapies/deep-brain-stimulation

For future reference itt, programming a DBS implant takes weeks, months of effort. Musk is claiming fantastic applications here, while admitting that the "first users" will be people who are just trying to get their bodies back as a priority. They might not be good candidates for Sick WetWare™ for one reason or another.

Waffle House fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jan 30, 2024

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Bubbacub posted:

We have a Spotify account for our business, and when I clicked on the "Popular" list, the top entry was a Joe Rogan interview with Elon Musk :barf:

They paid him 100 million loving dollars to get him on Spotify, of course they want to promote him

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Are there any movies with tech zombies (not the Borg from Star Trek). Like, the thing that kicks off the zombie apocalypse is tech based?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
depending on how deep you go into overanalyzing details, Army of the Dead kinda counts

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

redshirt posted:

Are there any movies with tech zombies (not the Borg from Star Trek). Like, the thing that kicks off the zombie apocalypse is tech based?

That's not a really a thing in movies. The Expanse TV show has them.There are also a handful of examples in games and books.

Mudlark
Nov 10, 2009
ITT we completely forget about Stephen King's greatest and most seminal of works: Cell

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

redshirt posted:

Depending on your definition of what a "zombie" entails, they did it for a joke in the Futurama episode "Attack of the Killer App."

After enough people have gotten the eyePhone implant, Mom activates its full potential that forces everyone who has one to go out and buy the newer version.

Edit: And again, depending on if you classify them as "Zombies", the Cybermen in Doctor Who at least once worked like that. They got some tech company to convince people to get weird cell phone implant things and it turned them all into Cybermen...I think.

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jan 30, 2024

Mudlark
Nov 10, 2009
Also takes place in Charles Stross' Glasshouse book, to a lesser extent. Specifically, there's a war between aggressively sentient and viral memes (most of which were created as weapons to control groups of people and their information) in a culture that turns people into berserkers hell bent on removing the opposing meme group or something and basically everyone involved in the war has wiped their brains to forget about it, which... kind of zombie? Not really. Ish.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I don't know if Michael Crichton wrote a techno-zombie book but I'd bet ½€ on it.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

redshirt posted:

If genetic engineering counts, then there's a lot of those.

Mudlark
Nov 10, 2009
As for movies... I guess Event Horizon would kind of work?

Barely.

Cell also got a movie adaptation for it right around the time Trump was elected (much like everything from 2016, it was poo poo).

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

surprise!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mudlark posted:

ITT we completely forget about Stephen King's greatest and most seminal of works: Cell

A book he wrote because he was mad about kids these days and their goddamn cellular telephones. In 2006.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

redshirt posted:

Husks in Mass Effect are pretty tech zombie. I guess most of the Reaper enemies are.

There's also the novel Blindsight where at the end (Or maybe some indeterminate point in the middle of the plot) the ship's computer murders the captain and uses the interface jack in his brain to meat puppet him because it realized it couldn't issue orders to enact an emergency plan fast enough with the captain as the intermediary.

Abilifier
Apr 8, 2008

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I don't know if Michael Crichton wrote a techno-zombie book but I'd bet ½€ on it.

I haven’t read it in a very long time, but the book Terminal Man was about a person with a malfunctioning neural implant that caused him to become increasingly aggressive and violent, to the point where he starts brutally murdering people.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Mudlark posted:

Jeez that was such a stupid book. Like, I think his absolute worst book. It starts off fine enough; a noise on everyone's cell phone makes them go mad like rage zombies. Then they start shuffling around. Then they start walking in a line. Then they start floating.

The about the author section contains this last line:

Stephen King does not own a cell phone.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

nine-gear crow posted:

A book he wrote because he was mad about kids these days and their goddamn cellular telephones. In 2006.

Lol, I just reread that last year for some reason, and it really does have old man yelling at modern technology energy. It's not good, but it's surprisingly not his worst book. Just incredibly forgettable, doubly so for the movie adaptation that apparently exists.

Mudlark
Nov 10, 2009

nine-gear crow posted:

yeah it's loving trash lmao but I do remember finding the idea of techno-zombies novel back in the early aughts, when zombie everything was becoming a thing again, and here we are once more.

credburn posted:

Stephen King does not own a cell phone.

I wonder if that's still true, the man posts a lot. Also :lol: :ironicat:

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

redshirt posted:

There was that ST:TNG episode where the Enterprise crew gets hooked on the mind control game due to Commander Riker's horniness and only Space Nerd Wesley Crusher stands in the way of the Federation flagship being taken over by an alien enemy.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

redshirt posted:

Some of Alastair Reynolds' novels deal with this but not as the main plot - again not a movie, though.

Mudlark
Nov 10, 2009
Is robocop a zombie?

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Presto posted:

There was that ST:TNG episode where the Enterprise crew gets hooked on the mind control game due to Commander Riker's horniness and only Space Nerd Wesley Crusher stands in the way of the Federation flagship being taken over by an alien enemy.

That game is officially known as “suck disk”

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mudlark posted:

Is robocop a zombie?

Revenant :eng101: When the zombie maintains part or all of their original pre-death personality and can make conscious choices of their on the term is revenant.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The Saddest Rhino posted:

That Ben shapiro rap is #1 on iTunes lmao what
So they played this on Chapo this week, and his verse on the song is mostly just him whining about the WAP song from what, 2021?

The rapper is a Canadian guy who is very concerned about people taking down American flags

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Presto posted:

It's fun! C'mon, just try it out!

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

redshirt posted:

I have this art book called "the electric state" where technology to control drones via VR helmets crossed with neurolinks was repurposed into basically VR Chat. At some point an AI took control and everyone who was wired in became its zombie army. It's pretty cool and has some great high tech post apocalypse ruins imagery.

Edit: I think someone has bought either the TV or movie rights already.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

redshirt posted:

There's a 1990 movie Virus where an alien intelligence takes over a ship and makes people into half machines half meat monsters. Basically the enemies from system shock.

It's not a good movie and i guess doesn't count if you rule out stuff like the borg!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

So they played this on Chapo this week, and his verse on the song is mostly just him whining about the WAP song from what, 2021?

The rapper is a Canadian guy who is very concerned about people taking down American flags

Still, it's good to know that the WAP incident has left an indelible wound on his psyche and he will be mad about the whole internet knowing he can't sexually pleasure his wife forever.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Presto posted:

Wesley Crusher and Ashley Judd if I remember right.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
A testament to how loving horny Star Trek is/was that the greatest single threat to the Federation was a VR game that makes you cum.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
A LOT of those dead monkees died of infections weeks after surgery. Which (and I am not a brain expert) probably means the inflection is IN the brain, where antibiotics might not pass the blood/brain barrier. There's no loving way the FDA let Musk stick that in a human unless that human was already brain dead.

So when Musk says there was a spike in neurons or some poo poo, the Neural link is probably just zapping cells with electricity and getting a reflex response. I can do that with a 9 volt battery if I'm brave enough.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Krispy Wafer posted:

There's no loving way the FDA let Musk stick that in a human unless that human was already brain dead.

You're assuming anything that's happening with this project is above board.

Dude is just killing monkeys (and maybe people) banking on no one holding him accountable.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

nine-gear crow posted:

A testament to how loving horny Star Trek is/was that the greatest single threat to the Federation was a VR game that makes you cum.
Surprising considering they have holodecks and we know that there are sex programs for them

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Krispy Wafer posted:

A LOT of those dead monkees died of infections weeks after surgery. Which (and I am not a brain expert) probably means the inflection is IN the brain, where antibiotics might not pass the blood/brain barrier. There's no loving way the FDA let Musk stick that in a human unless that human was already brain dead.

So when Musk says there was a spike in neurons or some poo poo, the Neural link is probably just zapping cells with electricity and getting a reflex response. I can do that with a 9 volt battery if I'm brave enough.

Isn't the issue with the neural link is that Elon wants a literal USB plug going through someone's skull into their brain while the majority of research implants devices into the brain and then the data is transmitted to a receiver that attaches via magnets to the outside of the skull.

Keep in mind I am a giant moron and probably doing a terrible job of trying to describe the process/could be completely wrong

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Did anything even really happen? Musk made a single tweet about it, no where else has any news on it, and he immediately went back to bitching about Diablo and minorities.

MasterSitsu
Nov 23, 2013

The Saddest Rhino posted:

That Ben shapiro rap is #1 on iTunes lmao what

There's vomit on his sweater already

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

B-Rock452 posted:

Isn't the issue with the neural link is that Elon wants a literal USB plug going through someone's skull into their brain while the majority of research implants devices into the brain and then the data is transmitted to a receiver that attaches via magnets to the outside of the skull.

Keep in mind I am a giant moron and probably doing a terrible job of trying to describe the process/could be completely wrong

Dude wants data plugs from Ghost in the Shell and CyberPunk 2077.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

nine-gear crow posted:

But Geordi and his hologram girlfriend saved the ship once, so, you know, both sides

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

nine-gear crow posted:

Still, it's good to know that the WAP incident has left an indelible wound on his psyche and he will be mad about the whole internet knowing he can't sexually pleasure his wife forever.

I think it's the fact that it didn't kill his career, only making it stronger is what made me think that he's scary. It just seems like nothing or no one can touch him.