Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

colonelwest posted:

gently caress no. I made it about 30 seconds in and they’re already beating the soft-reboot nostalgia drum; like the last one didn’t count and this is the for real nostalgia bait we promise guys!

You missed out on all the terrible CGI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Groovelord Neato posted:

You missed out on all the terrible CGI.

No joke, if Ghostbusters really wanted to mine people's nostalgia, go all out and have all of the effects be practical. Puppets, models, sets, stop motion, all of the stuff from the original. I'd actually be kind of interested with that particular gimmick.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

now those are some good comments!

I don't know, they don't sound like they're from wisconsin

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Sony, I am sorry for clowning on the ghostbusters 2016 trailers. Please forgive me. Stop punishing me and the rest of the world for my transgressions!

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I heard that Podcast has been replaced with a character named TikTok.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

khwarezm posted:

No joke, if Ghostbusters really wanted to mine people's nostalgia, go all out and have all of the effects be practical. Puppets, models, sets, stop motion, all of the stuff from the original. I'd actually be kind of interested with that particular gimmick.

I know CGI even bad CGI takes a ton of work but using it instead of practical effects just comes off as laziness on top of the laziness of all the "remember this poo poo".

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Jose Oquendo posted:

I heard that Podcast has been replaced with a character named TikTok.

he’s played by Noah Schnapp, funny enough, and he spends the whole movie quipping about how much nicer Tel Aviv is and how many progressive gay dudes live there

then at the end of the film he tells Paul Rudd that he’s going to use all of the ghost fighting techniques he learned to fight “the ghosts of hamas”, before turning to face the audience as the screen fades to credits

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

Gutcruncher posted:

Sony, I am sorry for clowning on the ghostbusters 2016 trailers. Please forgive me. Stop punishing me and the rest of the world for my transgressions!

gripweed get in here and tell us all how good madame web is going to be

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

gripweed get in here and tell us all how good madame web is going to be

It looks like it could be fun! I’m not saying it definitely will be good, but it easily could be. I don’t think that’s a controversial position.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
guy ritchie's inglouious briterds
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvwDen1Wrx8

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I thought you were being a little sarcastic but that literally is a Guy Ritchie ripoff of Inglorious Basterds.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

oh wow, i can't wait to find out what whacky hijinks these colourful characters get themselves into

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Guy Richie certainly has settled into a style of trying to recreate Snatch across all genres.

I actually enjoyed that Orson Fortune one

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

I'm baffled about why they are pretending this has any basis in historical fact.

Because Guy Ritchie is ripping some of it off like an article he read or something and now they have to attribute it or get sued?

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.
It is a historical fact that Guy Ritchie has seen every Quentin Tarantino film

jazzyjay
Sep 11, 2003

PULL OVER
TRAILER

STARTS

NOW

Oh no it doesnt

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Guy Ritchie is one of the worst directors working

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i can't believe someone named 'rich guy' made it in hollywood

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Gripweed posted:

It looks like it could be fun! I’m not saying it definitely will be good, but it easily could be. I don’t think that’s a controversial position.

it looks like dog poo poo. you will never find love

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Wasn't there like an old wooden sailing ship that the British put a modern gun on, and it posed as a merchant vessel and lured out German U-Boats during the war? Is that what this is based on? I'd assume that "on boat" is the only part that will be kept in for the real account.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

seems like its based on this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Postmaster

sinnesloeschen
Jun 4, 2011

fiiiiiiinnnne
:coolspot:

carrie coon nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo pull up

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Guy Ritchie sucks

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Shinjobi posted:

Guy Ritchie sucks

I liked Snatch and Lock Stock. But yeah he is literally a one trick pony.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

55 commandos were involved and the British didn't spring any of them out of prison or let them assemble their own ragtag team :colbert:

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

I liked Snatch and Lock Stock. But yeah he is literally a one trick pony.

I enjoy the trick for the most part.

Even that Madonna influenced movie with Statham.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

PostNouveau posted:

I'm baffled about why they are pretending this has any basis in historical fact.

Because Guy Ritchie is ripping some of it off like an article he read or something and now they have to attribute it or get sued?
it's based on a book

https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/show/22831743

looks to be the kind of book that perhaps a weird idiot would read

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Isn't this just the LRDG, Long Range Desert Group, that was assembled during the africa campaigns, and became the SAS over time?

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
speaking of ww2, masters of the air is now airing. first two episodes now available for viewing, and so far im keeping my expectations in a holding pattern. it at least shows more promise than the pacific, but no indications of reaching the heights of band of brothers, which to be fair is not easy. fairly flat characterization, distinctly modern sounding dialog, and an already observable structural pattern of drink at bar > fly planes > repeat, but could just be a bumpy takeoff, so im not bailing out yet

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

The only part of this I'm looking forward to is the RLM Boyz being depressed about it

Although it might be so depressing they just won't talk about it at all on the other hand

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
It’ll be a half in the bag where Mike and Jay come up with a much better plot just shooting the poo poo but then Mike ruins it by making a character a crackhead or something

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

kalel posted:

Venom and Venom 2 were both fun, Sony’s Spider-Manless Spiderverse has been good more often than it’s been bad. I’m sorry you have so much hate in your heart.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Isn't this just the LRDG, Long Range Desert Group, that was assembled during the africa campaigns, and became the SAS over time?

SAS was a separate unit but they did work alongside LRDG a lot.

I started watching Rogue Heroes this week since I liked the 2016 book it's based on and it's rather a bit of whiplash going between Masters of the Air and Peaky Blinders: Africa Edition.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

dreezy posted:

speaking of ww2, masters of the air is now airing. first two episodes now available for viewing, and so far im keeping my expectations in a holding pattern. it at least shows more promise than the pacific, but no indications of reaching the heights of band of brothers, which to be fair is not easy. fairly flat characterization, distinctly modern sounding dialog, and an already observable structural pattern of drink at bar > fly planes > repeat, but could just be a bumpy takeoff, so im not bailing out yet
I read the ArsTechnica review that didn't make it sound super promising https://arstechnica.com/culture/2024/01/masters-of-the-air-is-overproduced-over-cgid-over-color-graded-emmy-bait/

but I think I'll still try to give it a shot

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

kalel posted:

turn that monitor on buddy

UnleashedDad
Jan 14, 2022

hi im tony. did you know that a koala's appendix is about two meters long.

khwarezm posted:

This movie is gonna bomb so who cares. All nostalgia for this IP is gone, it's been forty years. The OG stars look like the ghouls they are busting. Everyone is over this poo poo. The only way to pull this off would be to have someone as insane about making perfect movies like Tom Cruise did with Top Gun Maverick.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
now if they had some sexy mastodon men crossing the streams, well

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Gripweed posted:

Venom and Venom 2 were both fun, Sony’s Spider-Manless Spiderverse has been good more often than it’s been bad. I’m sorry you have so much hate in your heart.
If you didn't have any fun watching Morbius then I don't know what to tell you

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Froghammer posted:

If you didn't have any fun watching Morbius then I don't know what to tell you

Venom and Venom 2 were good on their own terms. Morbius was fuckin terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Gripweed posted:

that was wrong of me, I'm sorry. you're great and I love you. but, respectfully, all capeshit is lowest common denominator regression to the mean focus tested product at best, and at worst it's propaganda for capitalism and the military industrial complex