Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I found out that the village my Polish grandmother was born in is now in Ukraine. It also no longer exists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

McGavin posted:

I found out that the village my Polish grandmother was born in is now in Ukraine. It also no longer exists.

My mother tells me that I also had Ukrainian relatives living in a village on the Ukrainian/Romanian border, right on the Prut river, but the village was destroyed by the Russians.

gently caress Stalin

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Mar 5, 2024

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

tango alpha delta posted:

thanks to this thread i've been able to do a deep dive on my Eastern European roots.

Turns out that my last name is spelt wrong and my grandfather is no longer here to explain why.

however my first, middle and last name, now that I know how to spell it correctly, are very, very Polish.

I am very proud of the assistance my relatives are providing to Ukraine.

Now I have to learn how to say gently caress Putin in Polish.

Just saw kurwa for everything and you're golden

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

stab posted:

This is amazing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_FHYdYNI48

DkHelmet
Jul 10, 2001

I pity the foal...

Turns out that my last name is spelt wrong and my grandfather is no longer here to explain why.

very, very Polish.

Sup, friend. My great grandfather fled Nicholas II, changed his last name to something fake but vaguely Polish, moved to deep rural PA, and never said a goddamn word as to why.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

DkHelmet posted:

Sup, friend. My great grandfather fled Nicholas II, changed his last name to something fake but vaguely Polish, moved to deep rural PA, and never said a goddamn word as to why.

Hello Fellow person whos Great Grandparents came from Eastern Europe in the wake of WWI.

My last name remains very Polish, my great grandfather got away with having exactly like one letter changed in it. This also means I have literally never met someone in the US with the same last name that I am not directly related to.

AtomikKrab fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jan 30, 2024

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

zajekurwabiscie

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

stab posted:

Putin kurwa mac

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Now I have to learn how to say gently caress Putin in Polish.
It's 'jebać Putina', hth.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Still lmao that in French it's 'Poutine'

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Dwesa posted:

some good news regarding the blockade of Black Sea trade - Russia is losing the battle for the Black Sea

Glad to see the proud traditions of the Russian navy are still well and alive.

gently caress it, I'm going to doxx my first name with a little puzzle for anyone who wants to put in the work:

I figured it out. Your name is Grzegorz Brzęczyszczykiewicz.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfKZclMWS1U

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Jan 30, 2024

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

The latter is on the whole unusually hostile towards Russia for a European far-right party because of irredentist grievances dating back to WWII.

You're conflating the party and the party's voters. Which, of course, is quite common, and the only reason they have any voters.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1752233943166824565#m
Another flying coffin thwacked out of the sky today.

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

HonorableTB posted:

Lol it is hard to put into words just how bad those naval losses are. Navies are the most expensive military assets to create and maintain and the lead times on new ship construction are years. A US guided missile destroyer for example takes four years or so to build. Frigates take about two years. An aircraft carrier takes 4-5+ lol. And they're stupid expensive on top of it. Navies are the primary method of force projection great powers have so losing that many ships with the damaged ones on top of that is the worst thing that's happened to Russia this whole war.

Yeah, it's hard to overstate just how much of a strategic asset navies are. I'm reading Churchill's accounts of WW1 and WW2 right now, and he goes into quite some length describing the chess game of naval assets at the outbreak of war. But he's not talking about fleets - he's talking about individual ships. Just one battlecruiser loose somewhere of the coast of South America was a major headache justifying attention at the cabinet level. Conversely, taking that ship out means the Germans suffer a loss they can't realistically replace for 3 years or more.

BrassRoots
Jan 9, 2012

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere - John Coltrane

My mother tells me that I also had Ukrainian relatives living in a village on the Ukrainian/Romanian border, right on the Prut river, but the village was destroyed by the Russians.

gently caress Stalin

gently caress it, I'm going to doxx my first name with a little puzzle for anyone who wants to put in the work:

My father and I share my real first name and my father was named after the Pole who helped you win The War Of Independence by fortifying Saratoga. He designed the defenses at West Point, fortified the defenses in North Carolina and was promoted to brigadier general by your Congress. He was close friends with Thomas Jefferson who wrote about him " "He is as pure a son of liberty as I have ever known."

My granddad had a story about russians coming to his village, rounding up all the military aged men, wrapping them together in a group with barbed wire, and then pushing them into a river.

He was also from near the current border with poland. I think his town was technically polish at the time. In nazi documents (arbeitsampt - the forceful kind) he is recorded as coming from poland but ukrainian nationality.

No surprise that when they got out of europe they decided to assimilate as fast as possible. Didnt even join the polish club and wanted nothing to do with europe.

How people can even think that ukrainians are closer to moscow than europe in terms of kinship and would pick russia over nato blows my loving mind. The family trauma would run DEEP. This is not a nato stolen country. This is people who have had enough boot on their neck.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1752289266502082937#m
The more difficult it is for you clowns to evacuate or rotate anyone is a good thing. You could always just turn around and go home or turn your guns on the officers any day now.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

zone posted:

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1752233943166824565#m
Another flying coffin thwacked out of the sky today.

it carried hundreds of Ukrainian POWs :(

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Strategic Tea posted:

Still lmao that in French it's 'Poutine'

Left unchanged "Putin" would sound like "whore" in French

bratwurst massage
Jan 27, 2018

Dwesa posted:

it carried hundreds of Ukrainian POWs :(

and food and medicine for orphans

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1752331851039989888#m
Oh no, anyway. Clear out the rest of your garbage and go back home.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

https://x.com/AndriyYermak/status/1752360836889198898?s=20

:toot:

Vaginaface
Aug 26, 2013

HEY REI HEY REI,
do vaginaface!

my first, middle and last name, now that I know how to spell it correctly, are very, very Polish.

I would have pinned you for Greek

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

however my first, middle and last name, now that I know how to spell it correctly, are very, very Polish.

Don't doxx yourself, Kiwi Pledge Brasso!

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://t.me/atesh_ua/3399

quote:

ATESH discovered warehouses with Caliber missiles in Sevastopol.

Our agents conducted reconnaissance north of Sukharnaya Bay and discovered ammunition warehouses. Caliber missiles and other types of weapons are probably stored on the territory of the mentioned warehouses. Also, several units of trucks were spotted.

Location coordinates:
44.628525, 33.585635
44.625469, 33.581552

ATESH agents have scouted hundreds of objects in occupied Crimea and continue their work. We transmit the information received about the invaders to the Ukrainian Defense Forces and, as a result, these objects become targets for missile strikes.

Fight rashism on the side of ATESH! Join us!
@Crimean_coordinator
t.me/atesh_ua
/3399
Some enemy warehouses holding stocks of missiles and other weapons were discovered by ATESH recently on occupied Crimea. Some drones and missiles will probably pay them a visit shortly.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

McGavin posted:

I found out where in Lithuania that branch of the family came from.

None of them are still there thanks to Hitler but still

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Vaginaface posted:

I would have pinned you for Greek

That sure is an ambiguous phrase.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

gently caress Stalin

My father and I share my real first name and my father was named after the Pole who helped you win The War Of Independence by fortifying Saratoga. He designed the defenses at West Point, fortified the defenses in North Carolina and was promoted to brigadier general by your Congress. He was close friends with Thomas Jefferson who wrote about him " "He is as pure a son of liberty as I have ever known."

Casimir Pulaski? His birthday is a holiday in Illinois.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

zone posted:

https://t.me/atesh_ua/3399

Some enemy warehouses holding stocks of missiles and other weapons were discovered by ATESH recently on occupied Crimea. Some drones and missiles will probably pay them a visit shortly.

why would you publicize that you know where things are and want to blow them up?

zone
Dec 6, 2016

NoiseAnnoys posted:

why would you publicize that you know where things are and want to blow them up?

Because they almost never move their garbage to safety before the storage depots get hit anyway. Their logistics can't support that.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Wikipedia posted:

Atesh (Crimean Tatar: Ateş, literally "Fire", Ukrainian: Атеш) is a military partisan movement in the occupied territories of Ukraine, as well as in the territory of Russia,[1] created by Ukrainians and Crimean Tatars in September 2022 as a result of the Russian military invasion of Ukraine in 2022.[2][3]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atesh

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

zone posted:

Because they almost never move their garbage to safety before the storage depots get hit anyway. Their logistics can't support that.

why wouldn’t you just bomb it first and then post about it?

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

NoiseAnnoys posted:

I was going to say it's a ruse to flush out actual locations, but

zone posted:

So ?????? who knows.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Last night I put up a posters in the lobbies of my building complex advertising a Ukrainian classical music concert series. This morning they were gone. I'm in Vancouver. I'm pissed, the proceeds go towards the war effort and we're putting tons of effort into these concerts. It's poo poo like this causes a depression in the community. The musicians are just playing music to do what they can.

Trying to support Ukraine while Russia brainwashed shitheads tear down our little efforts make it so hard to keep going, especially as the two-year anniversary looms large.
The strata manager is going to check the video feed but still, what can you do?

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

stratdax posted:

Last night I put up a posters in the lobbies of my building complex advertising a Ukrainian classical music concert series. This morning they were gone. I'm in Vancouver. I'm pissed, the proceeds go towards the war effort and we're putting tons of effort into these concerts. It's poo poo like this causes a depression in the community. The musicians are just playing music to do what they can.

Trying to support Ukraine while Russia brainwashed shitheads tear down our little efforts make it so hard to keep going, especially as the two-year anniversary looms large.

Keep putting up more. There's not much more than that

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

stratdax posted:

Typical, the further Russian patriots get away from Russia, the more they burn with patriotic fervor

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Someone keeps putting up lovely photocopied papers on the public billboard near my bus station with a bunch of bullshit about how NATO started the war in Ukraine, NATO will force Sweden to build nuclear weapons, Ukraine indiscriminately bombs civilians, blah blah blah. I tear them down every time I see them.

It's your typical rambling, incoherent nonsense with all the hallmarks of being written by someone who should probably be put in professional care without access to the internet.

There were very similar papers at the start of covid ranting off all the dumbass covid conspiracies about microchips and autism and aborted fetuses etc and I suspect it's the same person behind them.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Lammasu posted:

Casimir Pulaski? His birthday is a holiday in Illinois.
You only know that because of Sufjan Stevens.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Scarodactyl posted:

You only know that because of Sufjan Stevens.

Or I could live in Illinois and have fond memories of getting a day off from school.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/Tendar/status/1752381363129360738
A small accident happened to the Russian internet. Must be hackermans at work again. :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The lines are clogged with Ukrainian POWs