Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I guess that's their pivot from the Paris idea since nobody cares about Fantastic Beasts.

Is this supposed to be internally connected to the other parks in any way, or external gates only?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

I guess that's their pivot from the Paris idea since nobody cares about Fantastic Beasts.

Is this supposed to be internally connected to the other parks in any way, or external gates only?

I can't fathom it'll be internally connected some how unless they're building one hell of a transport system. It's literally a few miles away from USO. And it's not like, MK to Epcot miles. It's all very heavily occupied land miles.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Flying dragon taxi, got it.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

The only way I can see them connecting the parks is some sort of bus system down Universal blvd, maybe they'll add a bus only lane or something and have constant buses running back and forth, but that's gonna be a 20-30 minute bus ride on a light traffic day.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
How about this: they put guests in the back of a box truck that’s cleverly disguised to look like you’re in one of those magical toilets.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Jose Oquendo posted:

Universal just dropped some info on Epic Universe.

https://www.universalorlando.com/web/en/us/theme-parks/epic-universe

5 areas

Celestial Park. Has a dual launch coaster and a carousel. Ocean themed restaurant, pan-asian restaurant, Nintendo store.
Harry Potter Ministry of Magic
Super Nintendo World
How to Train Your Dragon
Dark Universe

wait

did only nerds know this

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I don't know if the actual name "Celestial Park" was known but all of that was out there.

The video is what's new.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Aphrodite posted:

I don't know if the actual name "Celestial Park" was known but all of that was out there.

The video is what's new.

it was trademarked months ago

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

god drat disney better catch up and universal better stop paying that bigot so I can go to celestial park

JK Rowling got bought out of her contract with Universal by WB a while back, so technically they do not pay her anymore. It's one of the reason they've been able to do things in Wizarding World they previously were not allowed to do (like Halloween Horror Nights stuff)

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Aphrodite posted:

The land itself is still Wizarding Paris, and you will transport via Floo Powder to the UK Ministry for the main attraction. It's a mess because they finalized plans and started construction before WB said "Hey these films are rear end and arent' doing well, let's pull the plug"

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

JK Rowling got bought out of her contract with Universal by WB a while back, so technically they do not pay her anymore. It's one of the reason they've been able to do things in Wizarding World they previously were not allowed to do (like Halloween Horror Nights stuff)

Source?

I had not heard this and cannot find any references to it online.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

god drat disney better catch up and universal better stop paying that bigot so I can go to celestial park

When all is said and done, Disney will still be one theme park, one water park, and a significant number of resort hotels ahead of Universal. On a typical day, the Magic Kingdom alone sees more guests than all of Universal Orlando. Universal is still the one playing catch up and still will be for the foreseeable future.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Zero One posted:

Source?

I had not heard this and cannot find any references to it online.

Seconding this, that would actually be a big deal and I know quite a few people that would be happy to hear it.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Given how hard they were pushing free wands with random poo poo throughout the parks in 2022 I am kind of surprised they're even bothering with a new land. It seems like they're starting to notice that the mood has shifted and her poo poo isn't "family friendly" anymore.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Nah, Legacy of Hogwarts was the highest selling game of last year. HP is still massively popular.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Arquinsiel posted:

Given how hard they were pushing free wands with random poo poo throughout the parks in 2022 I am kind of surprised they're even bothering with a new land. It seems like they're starting to notice that the mood has shifted and her poo poo isn't "family friendly" anymore.

Those are the cheaper, non-interactive wands that nobody buys so they're trying to clear out.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Wait so she’s not getting paid for her role as an executive on the Harry Potter series, or anything else HP-related? How’s that work? I really don’t want a cent of my money going to that shithead.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Bottom Liner posted:

Nah, Legacy of Hogwarts was the highest selling game of last year. HP is still massively popular.
There's been a lot of that going on where people will make criticisms of a game and a certain type of gamer bandwagons to tell you how great it is and they bought five copies. Palworld is experiencing a similar boost right now.

Aphrodite posted:

Those are the cheaper, non-interactive wands that nobody buys so they're trying to clear out.
Weren't the wands always supposed to be interactive? I remember seeing people waving them at stuff in Hogsmead back in 2012.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Arquinsiel posted:

Palworld is experiencing a similar boost right now.

Steam data alone suggests much of that is genuine players though, given it surpassed both Dota and CSGO in concurrent players with a peak of over 2m.

That's a whole other fascinating poo poo show though, and I think if the stuff about stolen/modified Pokémon assets turns out to be true it's going to be a glorious mess.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Hogwarts certainly got a chud boost, but it also just legitimately did very well.

Arquinsiel posted:

Weren't the wands always supposed to be interactive? I remember seeing people waving them at stuff in Hogsmead back in 2012.

Most of them are. There's a handful of styles available that are non-interactive, but the interactive ones are only like $5 more and those styles are available as those too so they never sell.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Arquinsiel posted:

The interactive wands weren't a thing until Diagon Alley opened (2014). It was a few years still until they started adding interactive wand effects to Hogsmeade.

Edna Mode
Sep 24, 2005

Bullshit, that's last year's Fall collection!

I've been following Bioreconstruct on Twitter who apparently lives in a helicopter above Epic Universe so it was fun to see what they're building towards. Even in the concept art it's pretty clear they're leaving lots of space for expansion.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

The interactive wands weren't a thing until Diagon Alley opened (2014). It was a few years still until they started adding interactive wand effects to Hogsmeade.
I didn't see Diagon Alley until 2022 so :shrug: No idea what I'm remembering so.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Bottom Liner posted:

Seconding this, that would actually be a big deal and I know quite a few people that would be happy to hear it.

The only articles I can see about the subject are exactly the opposite, outlining the ongoing payment structure with a contract that's renewed every 10 years.

Broadly speaking, WB and Rowling get a flat yearly rate for the rights, then a percentage cut on merch (but nothing per-ticket).

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Arquinsiel posted:

I didn't see Diagon Alley until 2022 so :shrug: No idea what I'm remembering so.

Possibly the Ollivanders show? They give a selected audience member a wand and tell them to point it at things and say a spell and an effect is triggered.

I always thought it was kind of lovely that they pick out a child and tell them “this wand selected you” but then they don’t just give it to them, not even a non-interactive one. The parents have to buy it after the show if they want to keep it.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )

Possibly the Ollivanders show? They give a selected audience member a wand and tell them to point it at things and say a spell and an effect is triggered.

I always thought it was kind of lovely that they pick out a child and tell them “this wand selected you” but then they don’t just give it to them, not even a non-interactive one. The parents have to buy it after the show if they want to keep it.

I saw this happen in Universal Studios in Japan and it was horrifying lol, such a cruel scam

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
I’m guessing each of these lands will be fairly small right? I’ll reserve judgement but it sounds like that one world has just three rides with one being a carousel.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Nah I remember stuff out on the "street", but it might just have been timed or motion-sensitive or whatever.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Disappointing Pie posted:

I’m guessing each of these lands will be fairly small right? I’ll reserve judgement but it sounds like that one world has just three rides with one being a carousel.

That’s kinda the standard these days. Immersive surroundings and shops with 2 rides is about all you get.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Bottom Liner posted:

That’s kinda the standard these days. Immersive surroundings and shops with 2 rides is about all you get.

I guess that’s kind of true for the last two Disney additions (Toy Story and Star Wars) but I still raised my eyebrows when the lady in that Universal video referred to “the ride” (singular) in the Harry Potter section.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Ahem, Toy Story Land has 3.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Aphrodite posted:

Ahem, Toy Story Land has 3.

I knew somebody would bring this up and my counterargument is that Mania already existed :colbert:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Hazo posted:

I knew somebody would bring this up and my counterargument is that Mania already existed :colbert:

Well then so did Hippogriff/Unicorn and Dueling Dragons, which means Harry Potter lands opening with 1 is standard!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

Well then so did Hippogriff/Unicorn and Dueling Dragons, which means Harry Potter lands opening with 1 is standard!

Correct!

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Aphrodite posted:

I would argue that those (Hogsmeade, Toy Story, Batuu) were additions as opposed to an entirely new park built from the ground up over 6 years, but I’ll let you have this one Aphrodite :argh:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Hazo posted:

I guess that’s kind of true for the last two Disney additions (Toy Story and Star Wars) but I still raised my eyebrows when the lady in that Universal video referred to “the ride” (singular) in the Harry Potter section.
Diagon Alley just has Gringott's and the slowest ever way to get from park to park.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
New Orleans Square opened with just one ride and a bunch of shops

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Arquinsiel posted:

Nah I remember stuff out on the "street", but it might just have been timed or motion-sensitive or whatever.

yes they have things you can do in the street. they dont work super well but its there

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler

Coasterphreak posted:

wait

did only nerds know this

Universal has a habit of leaking like, every single detail of every new addition years before they even start building, but only announcing when it’s half built.

I think celestial park is more like a hub/Main Street kind of area and not packed with rides. The video says something like 80 experiences but like, does that mean rides plus shops plus restaurants plus shows? I hope not.

Might have to spring for that hotel especially if it includes express. I do love the grand Californian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Cais posted:

The video says something like 80 experiences but like, does that mean rides plus shops plus restaurants plus shows? I hope not.

Of course it does. The entire park will likely have less than 10 actual rides when it opens. Probably less than Hollywood Studios which is what, 9 rides?