Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

well why not posted:

Christopher Nolan loves Talladega Nights. Who the gently caress knows what people are gonna click with.

Terrance Malick is a big fan of Zoolander.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Dark Universe is back baby*

*as an area in Universal Studios Florida.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Prowler posted:

I mean, while this definitely looks bad, it's amazing how bad that poster is, good lord, my imagination had it significantly worse.

It definitely looks better than the poster suggested it would. It looks like something I might watch when bored and stoned on a Saturday afternoon because I got nothing better to do.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Nolan is a big Michael Bay fan.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

Nolan is a big Michael Bay fan.

Nolan has excellent taste.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Wally Pfister, director of Transendence posted:

There are the movies out there that he loves and I hate. I'm not a big Michael Bay fan. Chris loves Michael Bay's movies. And so I'm always like, 'Come on, dude!' But he sees something in it, and I don't see it.

Wally Pfister was one of those "movies should be elitist" guys in the Side by Side documentary, so I can see him also being the type of person who just dismisses Bay's craft out of hand.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

im more hot and cold now with bay these days bc i find the transformers movies unwatchable and weird, and i havent really loved a movie hes done since pain and gain

but also, glad ol' wally got put through hell being forced to watch those movies.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Tran5formers is fun because when they were making it, they put together a writers' room to pitch a bunch of random Transformers movies and then just cobbled the script together from the ideas Bay liked. So you can actually see in realtime which movie he would rather be making at any particular moment.

"I'd rather be making King Arthur movie"
"'I'd rather be making a World War II Movie"
"I'd rather be making a post-apocalyptic dystopia movie"
"I'd rather be making a world-ending disaster movie"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

muscles like this! posted:

To be honest, it seems like a better idea to just have a spooky part of a theme park than trying to to a multibillion dollar movie franchise as an ad campaign for it first.

Robot Style posted:

Tran5formers is fun because when they were making it, they put together a writers' room to pitch a bunch of random Transformers movies and then just cobbled the script together from the ideas Bay liked. So you can actually see in realtime which movie he would rather be making at any particular moment.

I still say a lot about the Transformers movies makes sense considering they probably watched G1 Transformers for ideas. That show was nuts. They fought a (human) big game hunter who wanted Optimus Prime's head on his wall once, and also totally-not Cobra Commander. And pretty sure they went to space and met some Transformer-sized-human-looking aliens a few times.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Transformers 5 is awesome and has one of Anthony Hopkins best performances. His is palpably thrilled to be there and I have no loving idea why but the entire thing is nuts so it makes as much sense as anything else.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

muscles like this! posted:

Leigh Whannell, who directed the better than expected Invisible Man, is also directing a Wolf Man film.

You can probably cobble together a fake Dark Universe's worth of films since the Dark Universe itself was announced.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://x.com/kaiklops/status/1445461333432889344?s=20

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Open Source Idiom posted:

Transformers 5 is awesome and has one of Anthony Hopkins best performances. His is palpably thrilled to be there and I have no loving idea why but the entire thing is nuts so it makes as much sense as anything else.

It's like Orson Welles in the og, Transformers is the kind of franchise that you might as well go gonzo with.

Also it has the canonical death of Frasier as far as I'm concerned.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Canonically killed by Optimus Prime

https://youtu.be/7lFdw9DGBo0?si=fknzVIFGITe_ybDS

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Robot Style posted:

I made it 3 minutes into that movie before I shut it off. The insane constant aspect ratio changes were horrific. Michael Bay took cinema's coolest trick and abused it

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Robot Style posted:

There's the level of detachment and work you need to appreciate Bay's work after Pain and Gain and I just don't have it in me lol. If Bay ever marries his style with an actual meaningful script then I might be interested in him again.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

The child in me is really sad at how both Transformer and Marvel movies are terrible

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Please don’t put the MCU into the same bucket as the Transformers trash

I have only seen the first movie and I regret even doing that

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
In addition to all the other issues with Transformers, I just can't stand movies that refuse to stick with a consistent size for their giant monster or robot or whatever. I'm immediately thinking of Ghostbusters II where the 151' statue is submerged up to the crown in the East River which is only 40' deep, and then it's towering over buildings that are much taller than 151' feet. Why shrink it by two-thirds just double the size in the very next scene?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Pope Corky the IX posted:

In addition to all the other issues with Transformers, I just can't stand movies that refuse to stick with a consistent size for their giant monster or robot or whatever. I'm immediately thinking of Ghostbusters II where the 151' statue is submerged up to the crown in the East River which is only 40' deep, and then it's towering over buildings that are much taller than 151' feet. Why shrink it by two-thirds just double the size in the very next scene?

She was obvously crouching down while crossing the east river and standing on tippy toes while walking through the forest of buildings.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Normally I don't care about this sort of stuff but there's a robot TRex in one of them and they did not give a single gently caress on whether it's TRex sized compared to the other giant robots or the humans, which is just insanely noticeable.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's like Orson Welles in the og, Transformers is the kind of franchise that you might as well go gonzo with.

Orson Welles posted:

"The Japanese have funded a full-length animated cartoon about the doings of these toys, which is all bad outer-space stuff. I play a planet. I menace somebody called Something-or-other. Then I'm destroyed. My plan to destroy Whoever-it-is is thwarted and I tear myself apart on the screen."

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

I am laughing at you getting riled up about this but not concerned with the fact the Statue of Liberty somehow became animate in the first place. (Or wondering what happened to the statue after Vigo gets destroyed.)

Maybe the positive psychoactive slime has the ability to change the size of an object too?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I'm riled up and you're laughing?

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Professor Shark posted:

The child in me is really sad at how both Transformer and Marvel movies are terrible

:same:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The timeline fuckery in the later X-Men movies messes with my brain. 10 year gaps between each movie but nobody ever gets any older.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

That's comic book time for you.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Casimir Radon posted:

The timeline fuckery in the later X-Men movies messes with my brain. 10 year gaps between each movie but nobody ever gets any older.

It's the same kind of time fuckery that allows Wolverine to deliver a page's worth of monologuing in mid-jump. It may very well be dud to a mutant called The Time Fucker.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Shageletic posted:

There's the level of detachment and work you need to appreciate Bay's work after Pain and Gain and I just don't have it in me lol. If Bay ever marries his style with an actual meaningful script then I might be interested in him again. The

I’ve yet to watch LA Ambulance, but 13 Hours and Six Underground are both real-rear end movies.

13 Hours is Bay at his most restrained and tasteful, basically doing a Pete Berg disaster picture (e.g. Patriots Day, Deepwater Horizon, Lone Survivor…).

Six Underground has a cliched premise of “what if superheroes were real, they must be really hosed in the head”, but is actually written with Watchmen nuance while staying nicely grounded - largely avoiding distracting comicbook tropes like costumes and magic and whatever. It’s about a billionaire murderer whose concept of ethics is influenced by comic books (or, more specifically, comic book movies).

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I just want a movie based on this scene:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcfDLlL_esY

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Robot Style posted:

That's comic book time for you.
Putting actual years on it certainly makes it more blatant than the normal vague comic book timelines.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
When does Ricky stanicky release?

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost
A film like Ricky Stanicky does not "Release".

It will be Extruded on March 7, 2024.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I’ve yet to watch LA Ambulance, but 13 Hours and Six Underground are both real-rear end movies.

13 Hours is Bay at his most restrained and tasteful, basically doing a Pete Berg disaster picture (e.g. Patriots Day, Deepwater Horizon, Lone Survivor…).

Six Underground has a cliched premise of “what if superheroes were real, they must be really hosed in the head”, but is actually written with Watchmen nuance while staying nicely grounded - largely avoiding distracting comicbook tropes like costumes and magic and whatever. It’s about a billionaire murderer whose concept of ethics is influenced by comic books (or, more specifically, comic book movies).

ambulance is good you'll probably be into it

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1752729350019883159?t=dwbxvGlPdYM-SVsOWTCQqA&s=19
That's... not great.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Just a guy doing dude stuff

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
HGH come down?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

I kinda felt like associating with McGregor was a sign he had already lost his mind.

Kinda feels like he's been weird since Nightcrawler. Maybe it's hard to alternate starvation and tren cycles as well as Christian Bale without losing it.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Hope Jake gets the help he reportedly needs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Call me when he descends into Armie Hammer style cannibalism