Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
Like all other subcompact crossovers: when consumerism mandates you must buy a brand new Giant Piece of poo poo wannabe-SUV-blob, but your poor financial choices mean you can't swing what used to be the cheapest compact SUV-blob.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

BuckyDoneGun posted:

I know I'm the odd one out but I don't hate the original CR-H. I have no idea what its market position is supposed to be, and it's too high, but I've seen a couple slammed on big wheels and it looks like a proper future-Tokyo hot hatch.

Not sure about this new one tho.

Is that the one that's a shittier Fit?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Guinness posted:

me: it'd be cool if they brought two-tone paintjobs back

honda: i got you fam, here's the shittiest two-tone paintjob you've ever seen

I mean some of these SUVs and CUVs have the two tone but it's not really intentional in that manner. All the poo poo with the lower 1/4 painted black to try and hide how fat the car looks otherwise.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Is that the one that's a shittier Fit?

It's a shittier Corolla

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

phosdex posted:

Duracell trim

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

dissss posted:

It's a shittier Corolla

Have driven the old one, can confirm.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

The Mazda CX-70 announcement is finally here and it's.... literally a two-row CX-90.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a46538204/2025-mazda-cx-70-revealed/

That sucks! I wanted an I6 version of the CX-50. :sigh:

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Well that’s a huge disappointment, I was hoping for an upgrade to my turbo CX-5 and that’s just way too large

I hope Mazda isn't losing the plot here, again, in typical Mazda fashion. They found a ton of success with the CX-5 and were so well positioned to take that formula and bump it up a little bit upmarket on new more premium platforms but.... sigh. They could have gone right at the Q5/X3-ish segment with a high value prop model but seems like they aren't doing it. The CX-90 gets mixed reviews in its segment/price and I bet now the CX-70 isn't going to do much better if that's all it is. I'm rooting for Mazda but I'm not sure who they are appealing to with these things. Normies don't care about a turbo I-6 and will go with the hybrid which apparently needs some improvements, and the things they are putting the I-6 in so far aren't the most inspiring vehicles for someone a little bit enthusiast minded.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jan 30, 2024

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

I'm absolutely dumbfounded at this decision. I'm right with you, and totally thought this was going to be a mid size luxury fighter, like an alternative to the X3.

I drove the Cx-90 and while nice, it's way too big for me. I was holding out hope the Cx-70 could keep me on the mazda family as my Cx-5 turbo ages out. Now mazda while trying to compete with luxury brands, might have pushed me to a luxury brand. :(

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

FBS posted:

The Mazda CX-70 announcement is finally here and it's.... literally a two-row CX-90.

Kinda weird but it is not surprising they didn’t stretch out the cx50 as that car is already on the Mazda 3 platform which has the simpler rear suspension etc so it wouldn’t make sense to try to make it even bigger.

Will be interesting how it compares price wise as it would be maybe a good deal if you don’t need a 3rd row.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

So is the CX60 coming to North America?

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

smooth jazz posted:

It never was.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

smooth jazz posted:

I think most of us were hoping that the CX-70 would be an adaptation of the CX-60 for North America

But alas

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Just saw a Crown out in the wild. It looks like a lifted Avalon.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Anyone familiar enough with '24 Atlas Cross Sport AND the '23 ID4? I just got the 23 ID4 Pro Plus S and am absolutely smitten with it, especially the interior and features.

The 24 Cross Sport caught my eye while in the showroom, but didn't take it for a test drive. Curious if anyone can comment if the experience of the interior may be similar (aside from not driving like an EV) between the two as I'm making a short list of another vehicle for the family, that must be an ICE or Hybrid. If it's similar enough, it may just be a slam dunk option for us.

I'm going to try to get to the dealership, but may prove difficult in the near term and trying to whittle this list down as much as possible before getting in person to see them.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Full Collapse posted:

Just saw a Crown out in the wild. It looks like a lifted Avalon.

I saw one last weekend. It was simultaneously better and worse than I thought it would be.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

FBS posted:

Well that tanks my next intended vehicular purchase. Guess I'll have to look for a different replacement for my Forester. Unless something changes dramatically, I think I'm done with Subaru, and I was really hoping for the CX-70 to fit the bill.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
More Wagonner S photos dropped. The interior looks identical to the regular Wagoneer.

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum
That CX-70 news is very disappointing. The CX-90 had some pretty mixed reviews especially regarding that new I6 and the very lackluster performance, I believe some reviewers found the hybrid 4 to offer better performance even. I was hoping that during the long delay between the 90 and 70 they might change some things around and come out it a CX-70 that was not only a bit smaller and lighter but also with a tweaked I6 that would actually justify its existence.

Announcing a year later that its just the CX-90 with a third row delete and a few minor cosmetic differences though? What the hell are they doing?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Elem7 posted:

That CX-70 news is very disappointing. The CX-90 had some pretty mixed reviews especially regarding that new I6 and the very lackluster performance, I believe some reviewers found the hybrid 4 to offer better performance even. I was hoping that during the long delay between the 90 and 70 they might change some things around and come out it a CX-70 that was not only a bit smaller and lighter but also with a tweaked I6 that would actually justify its existence.

Announcing a year later that its just the CX-90 with a third row delete and a few minor cosmetic differences though? What the hell are they doing?

Saving production cost money and making up the differentiation in marketing I assume. Maybe they figured NA market wants BIG CAR NOW and shrinking it 10 inches wouldn't make a big difference in buying decisions. They've been wrong before though.

People forget that mazda is a tiny company with limited $$. I'm sure the engine/transmission tuning is something they are constantly working through and I'd wait for reviews to come out before making any decisions.

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
Even though it’s a little lackluster news I’d buy the CX-70 over the 90. I’m not a big fan of the cramped third row having been spoiled by a minivan as a kid.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Elem7 posted:

That CX-70 news is very disappointing. The CX-90 had some pretty mixed reviews especially regarding that new I6 and the very lackluster performance, I believe some reviewers found the hybrid 4 to offer better performance even.

Yeah the Savagegeese review of the 90 was not good at all, you could tell the guys were hoping for something good but being completely disappointed instead. Unless Mazda fixes the issues with this new motor and platform they are gonna be in for a rough ride.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

The Meat Dimension posted:

Even though it’s a little lackluster news I’d buy the CX-70 over the 90. I’m not a big fan of the cramped third row having been spoiled by a minivan as a kid.

I'm in the same boat but I might stretch my budget to an MDX instead of either.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I think this is the universe's way of telling me to buy a BRZ

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(
The CX-70 makes zero sense to me and as someone who likes Mazda I'm frustrated that they seem to have no idea WTF they're doing. The fact that the CX-90 sorta sucks when in theory it should be great is also a bummer. I'm hoping Mazda Spirit Racing is real and not just an appearance package.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

grahm posted:

The CX-70 makes zero sense to me and as someone who likes Mazda I'm frustrated that they seem to have no idea WTF they're doing. The fact that the CX-90 sorta sucks when in theory it should be great is also a bummer. I'm hoping Mazda Spirit Racing is real and not just an appearance package.

What would be the ideal dimensions in your mind for a cx70?

The cx5 is 180” long; the cx50 is 185” long (but also wider than cx5). The cx90 is 201” long.

The euro CX60 is 186” long.

You can’t use the cx5 or cx50 platform for the cx70 as it needs to be rwd layout. The euro spec cx60 is too close in size to the cx50 sold here and Mazda probably rightfully thought that average North American buyer doesn’t know or care about a rwd layout and would just buy a cheaper cx50.

Couple of the early reviewers said Mazda told them that they decided to sell it as a separate model because the person shopping for a 3 row suv is a separate enough market than someone looking for a med/large suv.

So the bet from Mazda is probably that the cx70 buyer will just say “hey great more cargo space”. And now Mazda doesn’t have to spin up a separate assembly line.

/wild speculation

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jan 31, 2024

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Something around Highlander size would make sense

grahm
Oct 17, 2005

Russian Bear posted:

dissss posted:

Something around Highlander size would make sense

Literally anything would make more sense than making the exact same car but with no rear seats.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

So like 3-4 inches smaller?

I don’t think anyone’s gonna notice.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

For me the magic spot was somewhere either at or between the X3 and the X5 lengths which is 186" to 193"
Id obviously love it to be X3 size but as long as we dont cross into the 200"s,I would have still been happy.

Doing a Shadowline package, adding red seats, and deleting a 3rd row is not a new model and all this is loving stupid. I cant believe it took Mazda this long to come out with this.

I was thinking about this at work, and couldnt come up with anything. Has another car manufacturer tried something like this in the past?
Just added some colors, made more trunk space, and called something an entirely different model?

Franco Caution fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Feb 1, 2024

grahm
Oct 17, 2005

Russian Bear posted:

So like 3-4 inches smaller?

I don’t think anyone’s gonna notice.

I think people would've bought the euro CX-60. It's a similar size to the CX-50 but more premium, RWD biased, inline six, etc. It's a totally different car. Right now the only way to get that platform in the US is the CX-90, which is larger than a lot of people want. The CX-70 does not solve that problem. It does not solve any problem.

Taking a car and making no changes except for a rear seat delete is why trim levels were invented. From Car and Driver: "Imagine Toyota renaming 4Runners with the optional third row the 5Runner."

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Dang and I took out the third row of seats out of our 2018 Land Cruiser, little did I know that in that hour or so I made an entirely new model.
Toyota please send cash thanks

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Russian Bear posted:

Mazda6 wagon

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

:shrug:

I guess we'll see. I think the CX70 depending on the pricing is going to be more popular than the CX90 because most people aren't looking for 3 rows. If you're saving 3-5k and getting a 3rd row delete, sounds reasonable to me.

grahm posted:

I think people would've bought the euro CX-60. It's a similar size to the CX-50 but more premium, RWD biased, inline six, etc. It's a totally different car. Right now the only way to get that platform in the US is the CX-90, which is larger than a lot of people want. The CX-70 does not solve that problem. It does not solve any problem.

Taking a car and making no changes except for a rear seat delete is why trim levels were invented. From Car and Driver: "Imagine Toyota renaming 4Runners with the optional third row the 5Runner."

It's not really fair to compare the largest car company in the world to Mazda in term of what it can and can't do. And I do agree with you that CX60 size with a premium drivetrain would be ace, but it has to fit into the lineup and it doesn't make sense unless they phase out the CX50. CX50 starts at 30k; CX90 starts at 40k. The CX60 would have to start ~36k and there is probably not enough margin in it after certifying a whole new car for NA market. And people like big cars (sadly), so they're betting on big and hoping to differentiate things with good marketing which is a lot cheaper I'm sure.

Also I think you're overestimating that people can tell what kind of drivetrain is in a car.

I'm curious what info savagegeese will get out of the mazda engineers on this one.

Just get your CX50 lowered!

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Feb 1, 2024

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

:hmmyes:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

You rang?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNE-NyaYBcg

The video I've been waiting for!

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

CT is in Australia which technically does still get the 6. https://www.mazda.com.au/cars/mazda6/specifications/?bodyStyle=Wagon&drivetrain=FWD&grade=G35%20Atenza

The basic model is like 12 years old now though so it isn't as popular as it once was.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Still very pretty. I saw one in Japan some years back and it’s even better irl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
I get aggravated that I'm stuck with the 6 sedan and don't have the wagons available about once a week. They look so good.