Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

individual stats are completely meaningless in every team sport and only betray a poisonous capitalist mindset

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Grittybeard posted:

This is a pretty big domino to fall if it falls.

UNC were the ACC stalwarts from previous reporting if I remember right. Like, they were the ones who weren't making any noise and wanted everything to stay the same weren't they?

e: from the article I guess they did explore getting out of that grant of rights.

That article is pretty poorly written and buries the lede which is the first paragraph. This is a response from the UNC president to the move from the board of governors of the UNC system which includes all of the public schools in North Carolina including NC State.

quote:

The UNC System president and governing board will likely soon have the power to prevent the state’s public universities from moving athletic conferences.

A committee of the Board of Governors, which oversees the 16 public universities in the UNC System, voted Wednesday in favor of a policy that requires the chancellors of schools interested in changing athletic conferences to provide “advance notice” of such moves to UNC System President Peter Hans and receive his approval for a corresponding “financial plan” associated with the move.

Under the policy, if Hans approves the university’s financial plan, he would then submit it to the Board of Governors, which could choose to vote on the plan, but would not be required to do so.

So the statewide system looks to be trying to kneecap Chapel Hill which on the margin obviously makes it less likely they leave

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Full list of colleges scoring in the Super Bowl

edit: This is from 2020

edit2: Oh god this was long enough ago that Deshaun Watson wasn't a serial sexual pest

LOL Coast Guard

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Full list of colleges scoring in the Super Bowl

edit: This is from 2020

edit2: Oh god this was long enough ago that Deshaun Watson wasn't a serial sexual pest

Yeah this is a dumb as poo poo way to measure points and they should feel bad

wernox
Mar 26, 2001

I gave up my OG title for this.

trevorreznik posted:

Putting this in two threads

https://twitter.com/joshdubowap/status/1752125724046012854?t=YM9Zlf0iCDM7UJTgwfAA7Q

Illini players who have
Howard Griffith: 12 pts
Pierre Thomas: 6 pts
Kelvin Hayden: 6 pts off a rex Grossman pick six
Neil rackers: 3 pts

TIL Joe Namath didn't score in the Super Bowl.

EDIT: They only list Purdue with 14 and count 7 of them from Mostert when he played for San Francisco. Brees threw for two, as did Len Dawson and Bob Griese threw for one so they must not be counting QB's.

wernox fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jan 30, 2024

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Iowa State has 12 and I'm not sure who that would come from.

Ah found it. Keith Krepfle (PHI in 1981) and Dan Johnson (MIA in 1985). Man Cyclones in the Super Bowl are normally on the losing team. Doesn't bode well for Purdy.

Bird in a Blender fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jan 30, 2024

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
His stats wouldn't count anyway for reasons

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Gonz posted:

gently caress John O’Korn.

That's some random rear end slander.

Apparently he's some kind of travel agent slash techbro these days.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

wernox posted:

TIL Joe Namath didn't score in the Super Bowl.

EDIT: They only list Purdue with 14 and count 7 of them from Mostert when he played for San Francisco. Brees threw for two, as did Len Dawson and Bob Griese threw for one so they must not be counting QB's.

QBs do not score when they throw a pass to a guy who scores, the guy who, you know, ends up with the ball in the end zone, that’s the guy who scores.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Rushing TDs only for QBs got it

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

but only on scrambles, and not designed runs

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

big 12 schedule dropped

https://twitter.com/big12conference/status/1752362144765542407?s=46

https://twitter.com/chrisvannini/status/1752364932832592190?s=46

Vertical Lime fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jan 30, 2024

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Whoa there are way more than 12 teams, what the hell?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Also, and I am.ok not counting him, Aaron Hernandez has a Super Bowl touchdown which isn't counted on there. Are they only counting graduates or something?

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Joey Freshwater posted:

Rushing TDs only for QBs got it

Which is exactly how football scoring has always been.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Only 4 protected rivalries is pretty sad for a 16-team conference.

And one of them is TCU-Baylor, which is secondary to SMU for TCU fans

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

PostNouveau posted:

They have this big scheduling grid where games are played either 2, 3, or 4 times in 4 years. Those in state games are the only every year games, but there are plenty of other rivalry games that are on the 3/4 schedule.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

https://twitter.com/PeteThamel/status/1752383281817866475

lol

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Bring back the Fulmer Cup but for NIL violations.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

lol until it comes from somewhere other than SI and Pat Forde I’ll assume it’s a nothing burger. The school hasn’t been given any sort of notice outside of there being an investigation. There’s basically no rules on NIL so I’m not even sure what they’d be investigating and NCAA is pretty toothless.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

SI has no staff. Are they just crawling message boards for rumors to have an LLM generate a report on?

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

How can there be NIL violations? There are virtually no rules.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Smoky dog should eat those reports and poo poo em right out on the NCAA lawn. Cause he's a good dog.

Anything related to NIL is a dead end with no teeth because the NCAA has vociferously said "we ain't touchin that" from their end for enforcement imo. I would almost ignore it if i were UTK.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Komet posted:

How can there be NIL violations? There are virtually no rules.

There are NCAA rules though whether they can actually enforce them if they get taken to court is another matter.

Former Everything
Nov 28, 2007

Is this right?
I for one hope the Vols are punished to the fullest extent of the law.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Adun posted:

That article is pretty poorly written and buries the lede which is the first paragraph. This is a response from the UNC president to the move from the board of governors of the UNC system which includes all of the public schools in North Carolina including NC State.

So the statewide system looks to be trying to kneecap Chapel Hill which on the margin obviously makes it less likely they leave

Ya this is how I read it. Less chance of leaving.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

PostNouveau posted:

Nah, not lately.

I guess SMU has crept up a little bit only because they've taken 2 of the last 4 and are chirping a lot with their ACC invite*. Baylor is in a bad spot with Aranda right now and have only taken 2 of the last 10.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

The Revivalry on a Wednesday? :psyduck:

e: OK, it's a typo

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I’m just going to vacate that loss to the Vols in 2022 preemptively if that’s cool by everyone. Probs do the LSU one as well since whatshosface was on the take. That would make us undefeated and per the grousing about FSU earlier I’ll just go ahead and mark the Natty for us since that’s all you need /s

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Wouldn’t be the first time Bama claimed illegitimate Nattys so why not

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak

Former Everything posted:

I for one hope the Vols are punished to the fullest extent of the law.

Death penalty, imo. And ban that shade of orange for all time.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Lmao get ‘em Donde

https://www.on3.com/college/tennessee-volunteers/news/tennessee-chancellor-sends-scathing-letter-ncaa-investigation-charlie-baker/

quote:

Tennessee chancellor Donde Plowman sent a scathing letter to NCAA president Charlie Baker amid the reports of an NCAA investigation into the athletic department.

“The leaders of intercollegiate athletics owe it to student-athletes and their families to establish clear rules and to act in their best interest,” the letter read in part. “Instead, two and a half years of vague and contradictory NCAA memos, emails and ‘guidance’ about name, image and likeness (NIL) has created extraordinary chaos that student-athletes and institutions are struggling to navigate.

“In short, the NCAA is failing.”

Plowman also gave a summary of what the NCAA is set to allege.

“The NCAA enforcement staff’s intended processing of the proposed allegations is replete with legal and procedural defects, including unsettled and outstanding interpretive questions that require further attention and input from the NCAA membership, particularly given the novel nature of the issue and the gravity of such determinations,” Plowman wrote. “Further, some of the allegations are simply factually untrue.”

And once again, Plowman was the latest official to want NIL legislation.

“It is intellectually dishonest for the NCAA staff to issue guidelines that say a third-party collective/business may meet with prospective student-athletes, discuss NIL, even enter into a contract with prospective student-athletes, but at the same time say that the collective may not engage in conversations that would be of a recruiting nature,” Plowman wrote. “Any discussion about NIL might factor into a prospective student-athlete’s decision to attend an institution. This creates an inherently unworkable situation, and everyone knows it.”

e: here’s the whole thing. She really just told them to get hosed.

https://x.com/Knox_Vol865/status/1752422503983759572?s=20

Joey Freshwater fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jan 30, 2024

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Yeah this is complete bullshit and yet another example of the bias against Tennessee Football

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

swickles posted:

Also, and I am.ok not counting him, Aaron Hernandez has a Super Bowl touchdown which isn't counted on there. Are they only counting graduates or something?

Yea its real dumb. Finished school is what they are going by, which is so loaded and dumb.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Texas Tech's season certainly ramps in difficulty. Tech plays 3 teams in a row coming off byes and 4 out of 5 in the mid-season. Granted, Tech will be coming off their own bye for 2 of those, but still.

Baylor (both teams off byes)
TCU
Iowa State
Colorado
Oklahoma State (both teams off byes)

What a wild sequence. Also, got that coveted Nov 30th home game...

For other teams:

- KSU and Arizona are each playing 10 big XII games. I'm assuming they had a non-conference game scheduled with each other and so are honoring that and just playing a non-conference conference game.
- Arizona, UCF, ISU, TTU, and WVU have each scheduled 7 home games. No teams have 3 non-conference home games or 8 home games total. Will be interesting to see if any teams schedule 3 at home next season.
- Kansas, ISU, UH, UCF, and Arizona avoid having consecutive weeks on the road. BYU and Colorado have consecutive non-conference games on the road.
- For weird, non-regional road trips: Arizona State visits Texas State, and Kansas State has a return trip to Tulane. KSU lost to Tulane a couple years ago at home.
- TCU and UCF kick off the Big XII schedule in week 3. TCU plays SMU in week 4, while UCF plays Florida in October. Iowa State has the only week 3 bye, doesn't play their first big XII game until week 5.
- KSU and OSU have the worst schedules between their byes, playing 3 games on the road to 1 game at home in the months of Oct/Nov.
- UCF plays 7 straight between their bye weeks, the longest stretch without a break for any team.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
cheatin rear end josh heupel!!!

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Fluffdaddy posted:

Yea its real dumb. Finished school is what they are going by, which is so loaded and dumb.

Ok its not graduates either, Florida has Emmitt Smith who left early. This is dumb.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot
Colorado doing NDSU into Col State is gonna be messy.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
I ain't scared

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Joey Freshwater posted:

Wouldn’t be the first time Bama claimed illegitimate Nattys so why not

plz respekt our culture

TheAlmightyFrog posted:

Death penalty, imo. And ban that shade of orange for all time.

But also this.