Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I lived through the '89 quake. Our neighbors house collapsed (they werent home fortunately). Fun memories of an uncle that evening shouting at the portable propane stove "you're not getting this goddamn steak you loving....earth!!!" while we and the neighbors all huddled around by candlelight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diamonds On MY Fish
Dec 10, 2008

I WAS BORN THIS WAY
I was watching the World Series and my stupid 9 year old self thought that my sister's boyfriend was shaking the house to gently caress with me.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
My favorite weather - earthquake.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

the 89 quake lead to the permanent removal of that freeway that got destroyed, so who is to say whether it was good or bad

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Earthquake and volcano are just underground weather

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

George H.W. oval office posted:

Earthquake and volcano are just underground weather

bombs too

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

A freaking transformer exploded 80 yards in front of me at the end of my run yesterday. I hope it didn't damage my ears.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
rip bumblebee

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Rauros posted:

A freaking transformer exploded 80 yards in front of me at the end of my run yesterday. I hope it didn't damage my ears.

_________________/

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

it's gonna get to 53 tomorrow

in minneapolis

normally the high would be like, 3

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

smoobles posted:

nah it's funny

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
C-spam is basically joker posting.

Sit back and enjoy the lols

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

have they tried putting a tarp on the san andreas fault line?

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

They haven't even tried glueing it yet you think that they're trying any advanced techniques?

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
we established a long time ago that ground weather is in-scope for this thread

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

HashtagGirlboss posted:

_________________/

I don’t remember a scary story to tell in the dark about a possum

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

RandolphCarter posted:

I don’t remember a scary story to tell in the dark about a possum

sir, i'm an aye-aye

Diamonds On MY Fish
Dec 10, 2008

I WAS BORN THIS WAY
If earthquakes can cause lightning (or whatever the gently caress earthquake lights are, it's one of the weirdest things I've seen in my life) they're definitely ground weather.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Rauros posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_22DsjyMlkU

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Diamonds On MY Fish posted:

If earthquakes can cause lightning (or whatever the gently caress earthquake lights are, it's one of the weirdest things I've seen in my life) they're definitely ground weather.

Aren’t those the spirits that cause the earthquake escaping their prison to join their spirit friends in the atmosphere?

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

They're gonna have to move up groundhog day a month. I don't see the point in this one

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Woke Mind Virus posted:

They're gonna have to move up groundhog day a month. I don't see the point in this one

They can't change the date, it's just too much work due to scheduling, the supply chain, and so on.

They can just make a tweak to predict either we get 6 more weeks of spring or if summer is coming early.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Rauros posted:

sir, i'm an aye-aye

Workshopping a Madagascar version of who's on first except it's the navy or something

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Welp its' February, the dead gruel of winter is upon us 1 more month of braceing for cold, snow and winter weather.. We've had febs with single digit temps for 20+ days, we've had febs with contestant trickles of snow and no melting to the point where there was 3-4 ft of snow on each side of the driveway from shoveling.

This week will be 40, and raining.. Everything is mud.
We got the whole winter in a week bigly covefefe snow, then it was 40 and melting which was real fun for everyone's sump pumps and basements..
Now it's early spring.. for 2 months I guess.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
I wouldn't say winter is over yet. Not hard to find model data bringing seasonable cold back to the northern and eastern US in about 10-20 days.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

For another week of winter?

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

tater_salad posted:

For another week of winter?

Or at least end the False Spring.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Did I hear Polar Vortex is back on the menu??!

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

SirPablo posted:

I wouldn't say winter is over yet. Not hard to find model data bringing seasonable cold back to the northern and eastern US in about 10-20 days.

beats the hell out of the last winter in minneapolis where we had that early 14" super heavy snow that stuck around forever. definitely a lot of roof leakages, what a pain

Diamonds On MY Fish
Dec 10, 2008

I WAS BORN THIS WAY
So this morning, they said that Atmospheric River we got in NorCal last night was way smaller than expected.

Then, like an hour ago, we got the largest hail storm I have ever seen in my life. It was like an atmospheric river of hail.

THEN I just found that there was a TORNADO that went along with it and there might be another one today.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C20gtj5LBWu/?igsh=MWViMmQycTk1N2R1dQ==

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
if you aren’t recording the collapse of the climate on your phone how do we even know it is happening to you?

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Maybe you've never seen hail in your life, and by hail standards it was quite pathetic.

Diamonds On MY Fish
Dec 10, 2008

I WAS BORN THIS WAY
I've seen hail many many times. It's not an uncommon thing here. Tornadoes, however, definitely are.

When I left for the store, it had completely stopped raining. It started again while I was out and by the time I got home (~20 minutes later) my whole backyard was flooded.

RedQueen
Apr 21, 2007

It takes all the running you can do just to stay in the same place.
Up to ~15 inches of rain forecast for Montecito and the LA mountains over the next week or two

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
rip oroville dam again

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
:rip: Santa Barbara

Diamonds On MY Fish
Dec 10, 2008

I WAS BORN THIS WAY

Celexi posted:

rip oroville dam again

nah that's in the better half of CA

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Opera gonna lose another mansion

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Celexi posted:

rip oroville dam again

Eh it’s fine.

This is its catchment:

Area of about ten thousand square kilometres, eyeballing at two and three quarters inches, or ten centimetres average rainfall.

As of two days ago, it had just over one cubic kilometre of available capacity. If every drop falling on the catchment instantly entered the lake, it would only bring the lake to ninety‐three percent capacity.

Not to mention, if the powerplant is operated continuously at maximum flow rate between now and the date at which the forecast is valid, that’s half of a cubic kilometre discharged.

The water wouldn’t come within fifteen feet of the emergency spillway even if the gates of the main spillway were welded shut. And both spillways have been freshly rebuilt and analyzed.

It’s all the more southerly dams you’ve got to worry about. The state is full of them, they’ll be seeing more extreme events than Oroville, and they’re in worse condition. I will grant that none of them are as large though.

Platystemon has issued a correction as of 01:42 on Feb 2, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
There is still a lot of uncertainty with how much rain will manifest Sun-Wed with this storm. Montecito could get 3" on the low end or 15" on the high end.