Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Communist Cop posted:

They lived long enough to gently caress everything up but they get to die before things get bad. That's not good news, it's just more proof that there is no justice in this universe.

stop being so negative, duuuude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Dokapon Findom posted:

I'm already on it for my posts in another thread, but I do love how stupid the idea is of titling your creative work Actionable Crime (And How To Do It) if you aren't a punk band

I mean it's not like the book is recipes for bombs or whatever. Do you get mad about the Shonda Rhimes show How to Get Away With Murder?

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

quiggy posted:

I mean it's not like the book is recipes for bombs or whatever. Do you get mad about the Shonda Rhimes show How to Get Away With Murder?

yes

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
it's false advertising

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

Car Hater posted:

When they ask for actionable suggestions you shrug and say :killing:

i think most people at that stage assume climate change will take care of the people they'd be willing to kill

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Communist Cop posted:

They lived long enough to gently caress everything up but they get to die before things get bad. That's not good news, it's just more proof that there is no justice in this universe.

fanfic insert posted:

i think most people at that stage assume climate change will take care of the people they'd be willing to kill

OIL PANIC
Dec 22, 2022

CAUTIONS
4. ... (If the battery is exhausted, the display of the liquid crystal will become vague and difficult to look at.)
7. Do not use volatile oils such as thinner or benzine and alcohol for wiping.
most boomers aren’t evil, just losers totally atomized and divorced from material reality. it’s like getting mad at the goose who’s being force-fed. sure, they’ll never experience true hardship in their lives, but they’re sure as hell not experiencing true joy or meaning

Diamonds On MY Fish
Dec 10, 2008

I WAS BORN THIS WAY

Dokapon Findom posted:

I'm already on it for my posts in another thread, but I do love how stupid the idea is of titling your creative work Actionable Crime (And How To Do It) if you aren't a punk band

"Actionable Crime (And How To Do It)" is my next punk band name

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
when Lahaina burned down and everyone was screeching about how the power company was to blame, and not the endless fields of dead tall flammable invasive grass that took over the abandoned plantation fields, I was warning people that if they kept it up we’d see perpetual blackouts as HECO turned off power when it was even moderately windy to avoid the liability of another fire. everyone was like “no of course that won’t happen, you’re just being alarmist”.

well yesterday they turned off the power for 6 hours because of wildfire risk mitigation and everyone is so loving mad and is pretending like they have no idea why they would be doing this and it’s always shocking to see how insanely stupid people are.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Dokapon Findom posted:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steal_This_Book

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Dokapon Findom posted:

This is the warmest I've ever seen it and nobody is saying anything lol

:stonklol: requires no words

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

MightyBigMinus posted:

this is the annoying thing about edgelords, they're too dumb to understand even when you're agreeing with them so they have to blurt out their new favorite jargon as if they'd one upped you.

the 30 in my 30-50 *is* the hot models. the ar6 graph timelines (even ssp5) are the 50.

none of the ECS values change which way is north and which way is south.

what do you think life is going to be like for a currently upper middle class comfortable but not outrageously rich person who might own a house in let's say concord or dublin or some other c-tier bay area city where it's currently still possible to buy a house without being a tech billionaire in 30 years, im genuinely curious how you think annual crop destruction due to severe weather, massive out of control wildfires that implode the insurance market and cripple the government's ability to do disaster relief, and the literally hundreds of millions of people coming northward are going to translate into this person who's going to be insulated from climate change to just a "declining living standard"

there will, im sure, be a lot of people who get lucky on a 30 year time horizon to not become a domestic climate refugee either from direct damage to their house or town or city's infrastructure that there is no longer capacity to repair or from the financial and economic system that supports their life collapsing under the strain of the same thing happening a town over one too many times that year. i wouldnt lay better than even money on being one of them unless you already own multiple houses in different states.

The Oldest Man has issued a correction as of 18:56 on Jan 30, 2024

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I read about the hot model issue yesterday, and I don't know what that other poster is talking about, but from what I read it made sense to exclude them. Ultimately, if the hot models aren't working for known measured historical data then that's an issue with them that needs to be addressed, and that's why they were excluded or weighted to be less impactful on the averaged out report.

Even without the hot models the predictions are so dire that it pretty much is a moot point. If we aren't going to do poo poo for 6C then sorry to tell you but we aren't going to do poo poo about 8C.

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

pretty sure the geese flew back up here with the warmer weather and they look loving confused

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Salt Fish posted:

I read about the hot model issue yesterday, and I don't know what that other poster is talking about, but from what I read it made sense to exclude them. Ultimately, if the hot models aren't working for known measured historical data then that's an issue with them that needs to be addressed, and that's why they were excluded or weighted to be less impactful on the averaged out report.

Even without the hot models the predictions are so dire that it pretty much is a moot point. If we aren't going to do poo poo for 6C then sorry to tell you but we aren't going to do poo poo about 8C.

I have a lot of hope for 10C though

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.
What is the range of sea level rise we can expect to see before 2050 (arbitrary date)? I guess 2030 is a more relevant timeframe considering how fast everything is moving

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Car Hater posted:

It's pure vibesposting but I'm not sure I buy that hype. Every time I go anywhere in the Midwest or upper central states the past couple years it's either too wet or not enough wet, plus or minus a bunch of heat and wildfire smoke

poo poo are be hosed

If you are a millennial or younger youve never experienced a "normal" anything. poo poo started going off rails in the early 90s

hamas ftw
Nov 25, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

lmao

hamas ftw
Nov 25, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

MightyBigMinus posted:

hurtling in a geological sense, but in a human-timescales sense there's at least a few decades between when the mass heatwave deaths start in india and when agriculture starts to fail nebraska

we're all hosed, but the heatwave rolls from the south up over the course of 30 - 50 years. they're hosed *first*. we get to go to work and watch it on the news for a bit.

i'm not trying to burst your bubble... but this is pure copium. we absolutely do not have 'decades' until agriculture starts to fail in nebraska. the crop failures and food shortages are already here:
https://twitter.com/jeffgoodell/status/1490001898228883461

these are the good years and we're already running out of food. these erratic, unpredictable, incredibly destructive swings in the weather are only going to accelerate. just look at the 2022-2023 part of this graph:

what does that chart look like in 30-50 years? in 20? in 10? sure, it could drop as suddenly as it started accelerating. but you and I both know that's not going to happen.

number always wins

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

I am very sad that hot models aren't working out, smh another victim of climate change

Argentum
Feb 6, 2011
UGLY LIKE BOWEL CANCER
Please give me the hottest models

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

the denialists just say it's because of el nino, even though I'm pretty sure this el nino is quite a bit warmer than 15-16 (?) and 97-98

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Argentum posted:

Don't worry, we can always find you some hotter models. :biglips:

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

tag urself i'm the lines that assume decreases in carbon emissions starting now

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

OIL PANIC posted:

most boomers aren’t evil, just losers totally atomized and divorced from material reality. it’s like getting mad at the goose who’s being force-fed. sure, they’ll never experience true hardship in their lives, but they’re sure as hell not experiencing true joy or meaning

Sure, but on top of that, they get outraged when you point out that they hosed everything up and sucked everything dry. My mother turns positively livid when I point out how easy they’ve had it, and how much in real and imaginary resources (money) her generation has burned through.

hamas ftw
Nov 25, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Argentum posted:

hamas ftw
Nov 25, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

allah forgive me i agree with twt :negative:

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

morothar posted:

Sure, but on top of that, they get outraged when you point out that they hosed everything up and sucked everything dry. My mother turns positively livid when I point out how easy they’ve had it, and how much in real and imaginary resources (money) her generation has burned through.

"BuT wE wOrKeD fOr ThAt!"

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Someone did, sure

Communist Cop
Jun 29, 2023

actionjackson posted:

the denialists just say it's because of el nino, even though I'm pretty sure this el nino is quite a bit warmer than 15-16 (?) and 97-98

People love to be in denial

https://twitter.com/SaraHor76174949/status/1751705270646935996?t=QxjYJf6z7MX94xuLwk237Q&s=19

hamas ftw
Nov 25, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

This is NOT normal! :mods:

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Salt Fish posted:

Although this was reported at the time as "scientists are using more reliable real-world data" ( eg https://www.science.org/content/article/un-climate-panel-confronts-implausibly-hot-forecasts-future-warming) or variations on the theme of "these predictions are better than the model predictions that are telling us the climate is much more sensitive than we thought it was" I think you can read between the lines a little and see they were intentionally hedging because they were getting politically unpalatable results and there was enough ambiguity in how the models were treating new inputs like aerosols that had been added that there was demand to hedge. There are even some pretty funny (retrospectively) quotes in some of these articles where people came up with all kinds of justifications for putting a finger on the scale.

quote:

Researchers should no longer simply use the average of all the climate model projections, which can result in global temperatures by 2100 up to 0.7°C warmer than an estimate from the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC). “We need to use a slightly different approach,” says Zeke Hausfather, climate research lead at payment services company Stripe and lead author of the commentary. “We must move away from the naïve idea of model democracy.” Instead, he and his colleagues call for a model meritocracy, prioritizing, at times, results from models known to have more realistic warming rates.

it is known khaleesi

being a bit cute here but "realistic warming rates" is confined to a pretty specific set of relatively recent data that doesnt include all of the future conditions a model needs to be able to represent like cloud deck breakup. it's like saying you're only going to include predictions constrained by historical data of your car's mechanical behavior (while you were driving it) in order to make predictions about what will happen when it hurtles into a brick wall at 50 mph. in order to be accurate, predictions about that future state inherently can't be constrained by recent historical data

More recent research (eg https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/earth-reacts-to-greenhouse-gases-more-strongly-than-we-thought/) is continuing to trend that sensitivity upward.

hamas ftw posted:

i'm not trying to burst your bubble... but this is pure copium. we absolutely do not have 'decades' until agriculture starts to fail in nebraska. the crop failures and food shortages are already here

whats obfuscating the risk in the developed north is i think a combination of:
1. lack of specificity in model predictions about extreme weather events like polar outbreaks and super derechos. not having a wet bulb event in the midwest in the next 20 years doesnt mean industrialized ag is going to be able to produce the food required in 20 years.
2. lack of risk assessment on the fragility of the developed north's legacy infrastructure and sensitivity of market-based critical life infrastructure (like the food system specifically) to shocks.
3. generally, assuming that living in a rich country is going to be protective for anyone except the actual rich.

feels very similar to the US scoring highest globally on the Pandemic Readiness Index right before getting sent to the shadow realm by covid

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

Argentum posted:

Apparently they're in the immediate area!

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

I think what they're talking about is at what point is there any accounting for the 900 billion loaves of bread that get thrown out in western supermarkets against people in the developing world having grain priced out of their reach

hamas ftw
Nov 25, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

The Oldest Man posted:

whats obfuscating the risk in the developed north is i think a combination of:
1. lack of specificity in model predictions about extreme weather events like polar outbreaks and super derechos. not having a wet bulb event in the midwest in the next 20 years doesnt mean industrialized ag is going to be able to produce the food required in 20 years.
2. lack of risk assessment on the fragility of the developed north's legacy infrastructure and sensitivity of market-based critical life infrastructure (like the food system specifically) to shocks.
3. generally, assuming that living in a rich country is going to be protective for anyone except the actual rich.

feels very similar to the US scoring highest globally on the Pandemic Readiness Index right before getting sent to the shadow realm by covid

absolutely the same vibes. "we have so much money! and most economic activity takes place indoors anyway, it'll be fine"

wet bulb events and rising sea levels aren't the only threats *gestures expansively*

hamas ftw
Nov 25, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Dokapon Findom posted:

I think what they're talking about is at what point is there any accounting for the 900 billion loaves of bread that get thrown out in western supermarkets against people in the developing world having grain priced out of their reach

yeah with sane central planning there's plenty of slack in the system, but we're gonna to keep throwing out those 900 million loaves of bread well after the bread riots start

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

From a scientific standpoint a wet bulb event doesn't make any sense. More like wet dream event for the climate doomer sickos, you can tell they want it to happen from the way they talk about it!

Communist Cop
Jun 29, 2023
Azolla Event
Blue Ocean Event
Wet Bulb Event
ARKStorm
Hypercane

And I'm gonna die from heat exhaustion before I see any of em :negative:

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Dokapon Findom posted:

hamas ftw posted:

yeah with sane central planning there's plenty of slack in the system, but we're gonna to keep throwing out those 900 million loaves of bread well after the bread riots start

more. when price shocks hit, the thing that will be protected is commodity value, not human life

pretend i quoted steinbeck here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hamas ftw
Nov 25, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
yep

spraying day old break with kerosene, for the shareholders