Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Do Ken and Koromaru still have Elec/Fire skills or have they been axed? I know Koromaru has one of the moon-based physical skills now.

Does Ken still have the +damage to knocked down enemy physicals, too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Junpei posted:

Do Ken and Koromaru still have Elec/Fire skills or have they been axed? I know Koromaru has one of the moon-based physical skills now.

Does Ken still have the +damage to knocked down enemy physicals, too?

They do and he does. Their change is mostly that they can now effectively fill damage roles (plus Theurgy.) Most of the characters are fairly close to what they were before. Mitsuru gets a few more status-causing spells (which are more useful), Yukari gets a little variety (including a very useful confusion spell she gets early.), Junpei leans even harder on crits, etc.

Theurgy also can be a big deal in character choice since you can use it fairly regularly.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jan 30, 2024

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Is Oracle still in the game? And if so, Lmao

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
see I'm just worried that would push Ken into being an even further victim of 8 Slot Move Syndrome. Cuz he has his Zio skills, Kouha, Hama, physical attacks and his healing, all at once.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Arist posted:

Is Oracle still in the game? And if so, Lmao

Oracle is Fuuka's Theurgy and it is now extremely loving good. I only ever got two effects from it and it appears context sensitive rather than random chance.

If your party is high health then you get a full party Heat Riser.
If your party is low health then you get a full heal/status restore.

Fuuka also now has her own spells she can cast before/during fights, which range from "make you invisible to enemies" to "start next fight with a buff" to "analyze all of an enemy's weaknesses." These cost SP.

Junpei posted:

see I'm just worried that would push Ken into being an even further victim of 8 Slot Move Syndrome. Cuz he has his Zio skills, Kouha, Hama, physical attacks and his healing, all at once.

Ken is a bit tight on spaces but you don't need to double up. (In fact I don't even remember if he gets Hama now.) You also can now reset a party member's spells by going to one of the mall shops. (The place that used to sell accessories IIRC.) There's a few new shops in the club and one of those has basically replaced that as the gem location.

Oh! A huge change to Tartarus:

You now can get Major Arcana cards in Shuffle Time. These are unlocked via beating Full Moon bosses or doing optional content in Tartarus and each one can only be gotten once a day but has a powerful bonus. Some will give permanent stat increases, some give rare items, some will allow you to pick multiple Shuffle Card cards for the rest of the day, some will let you fuse above your Persona level, etc, etc. If you get an Arcana Burst (get all current Arcana in one day) it will also upgrade your Shuffle Time cards to the next 'tier' for the rest of the day.

The cards are now EXP, Money, Skill Cards (replacing weapons) and 'positive effects' (healing, starting next fight with reflect, etc.) There's no minigame you just pick the cards you want. Shuffle Time is 100% assured to happen if you finish with an All Out Attack but only rarely happens otherwise.

Also the clock at the entrance no longer takes money. Instead you need to spend Twilight Fragments, which are rare items you get from exploring town/leveling up Slinks/etc and can be used to open rare chests (usually containing costumes/good gear) or spent at the clock to refill your stats, but it costs 7 Frags to do so which is a fairly large amount.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jan 30, 2024

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
looking forward to this after that really bad psp port that had the awful sound compression

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Are the passive perks the boys get put inside Yukari, Mitsuru, Fuuka and Aigis's S-Links proper? Or do the girls have the same mini-events?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Junpei posted:

Are the passive perks the boys get put inside Yukari, Mitsuru, Fuuka and Aigis's S-Links proper? Or do the girls have the same mini-events?

The girls also get their own mini-events. Fuuka reads a cheesy sci-fi manga with you for example and gushes over it while Yukari asks you to watch a lovely NotBuffyReally show. You can also cook with them (which gets rare healing items) or garden with them (which gives improved crops.) Both of these can also lead to the enhanced passive perks.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Sloober posted:

looking forward to this after that really bad psp port that had the awful sound compression

that really bad psp port with the awful compression is still the better game :colbert:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

that really bad psp port with the awful compression is still the better game :colbert:

So like honestly...

I do miss FemMC but in terms of just like presentation/playability/general design, P3R is easily the best version, and while it is missing things, it also means you have things like "Ken gets a sorta social link with absolutely no hints towards creepiness" or "You can spend time with Aigis as a friend."

Also a way better dub

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jan 30, 2024

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Can you change the music back to the good music instead of the new remixes????

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Meowywitch posted:

No, but there's a lot of music in the game and some of the remixes honestly ended up being a positive to me in context. The music is the one area where I think it is a sidegrade because I like some more and like some less.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Meowywitch posted:

inevitable day 1 mod for the PC version

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

the audio on it was so awful it made it flat unenjoyable so im not sure i could ever agree. i was looking forward to it after last playing FES back when it came out and it just destroyed it for me

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

One question about P3R (I guess for ImpAtom since they're probably the only person who has played it here, though maybe this has been addressed in other reviews as well): What are the difficulty options like? An issue I had with P5R (and that I'm a little concerned about since this seems to adopt many of its gameplay sensibilities) is that it's just way too easy on every single difficulty (and I'm not even good at video games). Does P3R have any difficulty levels that are reasonably challenging without being frustrating?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

One question about P3R (I guess for ImpAtom since they're probably the only person who has played it here, though maybe this has been addressed in other reviews as well): What are the difficulty options like? An issue I had with P5R (and that I'm a little concerned about since this seems to adopt many of its gameplay sensibilities) is that it's just way too easy on every single difficulty (and I'm not even good at video games). Does P3R have any difficulty levels that are reasonably challenging without being frustrating?

There's a Hard and Merciless mode from the start. I think it is slightly harder than P5R due to the differences in game design but still not a super hard game. (I didn't spend a ton of time on the highest difficulty due to deadlines.)

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

There's a Hard and Merciless mode from the start. I think it is slightly harder than P5R due to the differences in game design but still not a super hard game. (I didn't spend a ton of time on the highest difficulty due to deadlines.)

Thanks; I think "slightly harder than the harder P5R options" will at least be enough to make the difficulty level enjoyable.

Also, I think simply not having P5R's features of "ability to earn insane amounts of money via Mementos" combined with "ability to summon higher-level personas for extra money" will go a long way by itself towards making the difficulty reasonable (assuming those features don't exist, and I haven't heard of anything similar to Mementos's broken "drive around insta-killing shadows and earning millions of yen" stuff).

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

Thanks; I think "slightly harder than the harder P5R options" will at least be enough to make the difficulty level enjoyable.

Also, I think simply not having P5R's features of "ability to earn insane amounts of money via Mementos" combined with "ability to summon higher-level personas for extra money" will go a long way by itself towards making the difficulty reasonable (assuming those features don't exist, and I haven't heard of anything similar to Mementos's broken "drive around insta-killing shadows and earning millions of yen" stuff).

Lower level enemies will run away from you and you get certain gimmicks which let you start fights with advantages 100% of the time but nothing as broken as Mementos Bus. You can summon higher level Personas but that is a late game thing and requires a specific Tartarus arcana.

The thing I think has the biggest risk of breaking the game is the ol' store a bunch of limit breaks and bust them all out turn 1' tactic which I tried to avoid simply because dropping 4 nukes turn-1 was a bit much. There are also some gimmick boss fights which require specific strategies to beat. (All optional.)

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
I'm actually more jazzed to play P3R now. Thanks for all the QoL info, ImpAtom!

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Did they tweak the writing at all for any of the non party s.links? I really didn't mind the ones people hate like Magician or Moon so I can take it or leave it but I am curious...

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Did they tweak the writing at all for any of the non party s.links? I really didn't mind the ones people hate like Magician or Moon so I can take it or leave it but I am curious...

The non-party female social links (minus the little girl) have been redone (some slight restructuring, romance comes later and is optional, friendship paths). This usually includes more/different choices from the original game. The male ones largely seem the same, some slight wording changes here and there, but extremely close. The voice acting helps some of them feel a bit better but they're largely the same.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jan 30, 2024

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

keeping gourmet king and #1 milf fucker are bold choices

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

keeping gourmet king and #1 milf fucker are bold choices

Joker isn't in P3R though?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Doesn't Magician at least end with him breaking up with the teacher and the teacher getting in trouble or something? Or the teacher breaking up with him? If so, that's technically better than P5 lol

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

Doesn't Magician at least end with him breaking up with the teacher and the teacher getting in trouble or something? Or the teacher breaking up with him? If so, that's technically better than P5 lol

Dude was in his own world. He was never actually dating a teacher, he just kind of said something she misunderstood and he ran with it. It ends when the teacher transfers away because she has an actual fiancee who she is actually dating. Kenji's weirdness contributes to her changing schools though snice she doesn't in FemMC

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Are the Hermit Persona 2 references kept intact?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Junpei posted:

Are the Hermit Persona 2 references kept intact?

Tatsuya and Maya, yep.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Dude was in his own world. He was never actually dating a teacher, he just kind of said something she misunderstood and he ran with it. It ends when the teacher transfers away because she has an actual fiancee who she is actually dating. Kenji's weirdness contributes to her changing schools though snice she doesn't in FemMC

Oh, nice (I mean, nice in the sense that he never actually dates the teacher). I don't think "teenager being into his teacher" is inherently problematic if the teacher either isn't reciprocating or the writing isn't approving of the situation.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

That was never the link.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the problem isnt whether or not hes dating his teacher the problem is that hes an annoying weirdo of a character that i dont want to hang out with

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, he still sucks. Basically the only improvement is that there's enough bonus SL points that you can take the "burn his stupid rear end" comment every single time and not feel like you're wasting a day but that doesn't make him suck less.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

He makes Junpei a worse person by sheer association.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Magicians aren't sending their best.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Ayase is the best Magician so far, sorry Ryuji.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Between Kenji and Toriumi, what the gently caress is going on at Gekkoukan

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Ryuji is Chariot.

Aside from expanding the skill lists, do ult personas for the party have, like, stronger Theurgy or special passives? Like is Tristmegistus inheriting Spring of Life from Medea on the 8 slots still or is it moved into the Bond Passives or what?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Junpei posted:

Ryuji is Chariot.

Aside from expanding the skill lists, do ult personas for the party have, like, stronger Theurgy or special passives? Like is Tristmegistus inheriting Spring of Life from Medea on the 8 slots still or is it moved into the Bond Passives or what?

Ultimate Personas give each character a second Theurgy they can use. (Koromaru starts with 2.) Usually the first Theurgy is an extremely strong attack of (character's major element) and the second is more specialized. For example Koromaru's are an incredibly strong resistance-ignoring Dark attack and his second gives the entire party Charge.

Spring of Life is no longer a passive but instead Junpei's second Theurgy attack comes with a baked-in full self heal. He also naturally learns Regen tho'.

Arist posted:

Between Kenji and Toriumi, what the gently caress is going on at Gekkoukan

Considering where it is built, I'd say "loving ghosts, man."

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jan 30, 2024

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Junpei posted:

Ryuji is Chariot.

Ah poo poo! I forgot they switched up the formula with him.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Neeksy posted:

Ah poo poo! I forgot they switched up the formula with him.

Kind of. Morgana is magician and is the first male party member.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Ryuji the Chie