Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

a neat cape posted:

Belichick back in the mix for Washington?

Will be hilarious if the Aaron Glenn rumors pick back up now that Ben is out. I still think he'd be a good fit for WAS if they hadn't just moved on from a defensive coach with good player rapport.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
My assumption is Johnson doesn't actually wanna leave Detroit so he's asking for ridiculous money to make it worth his while and maybe a little bit using head coaching gigs to leverage extra money out of Sheila. I fully support him in these endeavors.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Ask for crazy amount because you’ll get fired 1.5 years in, so get that 25 million payout

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

MJeff posted:

My assumption is Johnson doesn't actually wanna leave Detroit so he's asking for ridiculous money to make it worth his while and maybe a little bit using head coaching gigs to leverage extra money out of Sheila. I fully support him in these endeavors.

Nah, he wasn't getting one of those 2 jobs.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

mcmagic posted:

Nah, he wasn't getting one of those 2 jobs.

How many jobs does he need at one time?

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
lol this tweet came straight from the Washington brass

quote:

Commanders officials were en route to Detroit for a meeting with Ben Johnson and Aaron Glenn when they got word that Johnson was staying with the Lions, per sources. While the abrupt pivot by Johnson was considered “surprising” by several league sources, he was not considered a lock for the Commanders’ job, despite his strong reputation as a coordinator and a loyal coach. The Commanders leadership team remains eager to meet with the respected Glenn, who is one of several candidates the team is expected to consider for its head-coach vacancy.

https://x.com/AdamSchefter/status/1752399992403157479?s=20

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

bucs OC hunt is starting to stress me out!!

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
No see mcmagic said they weren't going to meet with Johnson. Better head to Seattle and drag the old man that has shown no interest to Washington

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

He is either asking for an absurd amount or he doesn't interview well.

Interesting development.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

mcmagic posted:

Seattle should really just hire Pete back.

Yeah where else are they going to find a guy who can got 9-8 and be third in the division reliably?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Cash Monet posted:

He is either asking for an absurd amount or he doesn't interview well.

Interesting development.

I don’t think there’s any way a young, white, offensive coordinator of a top 5 offense can interview badly enough to not get offers thrown at him so he’s probably just happy staying in Detroit for another year if he doesn’t get a big ole bag of money.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Cowboys are likely to have a HC opening next season and Jerry is gonna open his wallet

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

kidcoelacanth posted:

bucs OC hunt is starting to stress me out!!

We interviewed a third guy today:

https://x.com/Buccaneers/status/1752400701957849487?s=20

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Sounds like he didn't even interview with Washington. Maybe he really does just want to stay in Detroit another year.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

He had to have been offered a huge bag to not leave Detroit or really did not want to coach Washington

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Ches Neckbeard posted:

No see mcmagic said they weren't going to meet with Johnson. Better head to Seattle and drag the old man that has shown no interest to Washington

That same tweet said he wasn't the front runner for the job.

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Yeah where else are they going to find a guy who can got 9-8 and be third in the division reliably?

Yeah man, you can just throw a dart and hit guys who have coached to multiple SB's and are 50 games over 500 for their career. They are VERY easy to find.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

rjmccall posted:

Sounds like he didn't even interview with Washington. Maybe he really does just want to stay in Detroit another year.
I think he did a videocall with them a week or so ago.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Is it really so absurd to think a guy that was two quarters away from the Super Bowl wants to stay with his boys and try to finish the job?

Not every coach's decision has ulterior motives.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Benne posted:

Is it really so absurd to think a guy that was two quarters away from the Super Bowl wants to stay with his boys and try to finish the job?

Yes I think it’s pretty unbelievable.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Benne posted:

If he's turning down the job, he's turning down well over 20 million dollars. It's a fairly crazy thing to do for a guy whose entire career earnings to this point is probably between 1 and 2.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

mcmagic posted:

That same tweet said he wasn't the front runner for the job.

Yeah man, you can just throw a dart and hit guys who have coached to multiple SB's and are 50 games over 500 for their career. They are VERY easy to find.

Nobody has said who the front runner is or if they even have one. They were literally going to Detroit to talk to him and Glenn. Obviously, they thought highly of him, or they wouldn't have been on the plane.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Benne posted:

Yes. It's completely absurd.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Kalli posted:

If he's turning down the job, he's turning down well over 20 million dollars. It's a fairly crazy thing to do for a guy whose entire career earnings to this point is probably between 1 and 2.

Also aside from the money, just the prestige of being in the HC ranks, even if you suck we've seen plenty of examples that you'll get at least a couple more chances unless you're completely toxic. And worst case if you suck as a HC is you just go back to being a coordinator.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

mcmagic posted:

Jimmy Johnson is still out there and has an even better resume, maybe someone should hire him.

Kalli posted:

Johnson got a “large” raise last offseason he’s probably doing pretty well.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

There's also the scarcity of head coaching jobs and you never know when you'll get the chance. Obviously he's betting on himself, but if the Lions fall on their face next season - maybe he's not so attractive of an option anymore. If you have HC aspirations, you kind of have to take your chance when it comes.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Harlock posted:

There's also the scarcity of head coaching jobs and you never know when you'll get the chance. Obviously he's betting on himself, but if the Lions fall on their face next season - maybe he's not so attractive of an option anymore. If you have HC aspirations, you kind of have to take your chance when it comes.

Offense isn’t as high variance year to year as long as you don’t lose your QB. The Lions are still going to have a good OL, Goff, Gibbs, Sun God, Laporta, and Montgomery. They should be fine next year.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

The rumor a couple months back was that Ben Johnson was looking for $15m annually. Even if that was just the Panthers price and he lowers that to $10m per for anyone else, he's turning down $50m guaranteed.

That's pretty nuts to me.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Jimmy Johnson is still out there and has an even better resume, maybe someone should hire him.

Pete still has a lot left. He also hasn't been out of the league for 30 years.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Maybe Ben Johnson doesn't give a poo poo about money.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
It’s not financially irrational if he thinks he isn’t ready yet and would have a longer and more successful HC career if he spends another year preparing. (And of course it’s also not irrational to not have financial maximization as his primary goal.)

I don’t know if it’s true that spending another year as OC would better prepare someone for being HC, but if it is, it does affect the calculation.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

He might not get another chance. If Goff goes back to Goof, Ben Johnson can find himself as the fifth or sixth most appealing candidate in the next cycle.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah if the issue is he wants more money I don’t think being an OC for another year is going to get him there

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Well, yes, and a player who bets on himself by not signing a $15 million/year extension can get hurt. We don't consider that objectively irrational, and frankly an OC has a lot more control over whether his QB1 plays well than a player does over injuries.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
It's also pretty funny that he spent the day before the NFCCG interviewing only to withdraw a few days later.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

rjmccall posted:

Well, yes, and a player who bets on himself by not signing a $15 million/year extension can get hurt. We don't consider that objectively irrational, and frankly an OC has a lot more control over whether his QB1 plays well than a player does over injuries.

Most people do and make fun of them when they get owned.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

mcmagic posted:

Pete still has a lot left. He also hasn't been out of the league for 30 years.

Pete is 3-6 in the playoffs since his last Super Bowl appearance, has missed the playoffs 2 of the last 4 years, is barely over .500 the last 3 years, and would be the oldest active head coach ever if he coached this year.

It’s been 10 years since the Super Bowl and they’ve been getting steadily worse since then as the roster from that win moves on and they replace them with worse players.

It’s not at all crazy that teams would want to take a chance on finding their own Shanahan or McVay vs hoping that Pete finds a new gear at 72 years old.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Pete is the kind of coach where you think your team can make the Super Bowl but they just need a coach and that’s not something you see very often

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Who is Adam gase, for those of us who are new to following coaches

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

fsif posted:

He might not get another chance. If Goff goes back to Goof, Ben Johnson can find himself as the fifth or sixth most appealing candidate in the next cycle.

At this point Goff has as many good seasons as bad and that’s counting his first short season on the awful Jeff Fisher Rams against him. I think we have a pretty good idea of who he is at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Who is Adam gase, for those of us who are new to following coaches

You see the icon for this thread? That's Gase.