Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Jaxyon posted:

What is the equivilent of ministers in US government?

Like who would Ben Gvir be compare to?

Seems pretty straightforward as a combination of Attorney General and DHS Secretary, but like most countries I don't think Israel has all sorts of state and municipal police forces in a totally separate chain of command.

So terrifyingly more powerful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadSparkle
Aug 7, 2012

Can Bernie count on you to add to our chest's mad sparkle? Can you spare a little change for an old buccaneer?

Young Freud posted:

It's been overshadowed by Gaza, but Israeli real estate developers and settlers have been encroaching into the Armenian Quarter of Jerusalem for months now. There's been a land deal between the Armenian Patriarch Nourhan Manougian and Australian developer Danny Rothman and his company, Xana Gardens, to buy the Cow's Garden area of the Quarter for a hotel entertainment complex. The Armenian community, who have lived there for 1600 years, didn't take this lightly and protested against the deal and it took Jordan and the Palestinian Authority threat to revoke the recognition of the Patriarchate, which forced the Patriarch to relented in late October.

Since then, Israeli settlers have been assaulting Armenians, tearing down fences, and attempt to bulldoze sections of the Quarter. Here's a thread I caught off Bluesky, with links to the news articles mentioned in the thread.

https://www.newarab.com/investigations/israeli-firm-attack-jerusalems-armenians

https://www.aljazeera.com/features/2023/11/24/we-wont-leave-armenians-in-jerusalem-push-back-against-armed-settlers

https://www.middleeasteye.net/news/israeli-settlers-jerusalem-take-over-armenian-quarter-force

https://www.newarab.com/investigations/ben-gvir-associate-settlers-intimidate-jerusalem-armenians

https://www.newarab.com/analysis/how-secret-land-sales-threaten-jerusalems-armenian-quarter

https://mondoweiss.net/2023/06/jerusalems-armenian-community-fears-erasure-after-controversial-land-deal/

thanks, this gives context to some of the weird rear end hostility toward Armenians I saw a month or so ago.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://x.com/muhammadshehad2/status/1752233848262295844?s=46&t=ARI_L-v32Oind1-d9B3a3Q

Fractal war crimes.

No gore in the video, just incredibly surreal footage of the disguised soldiers moving through the hospital.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
More evidence for when the ICJ reconvenes that Israel is not only not stopping the genocide. They're adding to their war crimes by murdering injured combatants receiving treatment in hospital.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

This is in the West Bank too. Unless there's some weird context I'm missing I don't see why they can't just show up and arrest them? Nobody is going to start a shootout in a hospital (except the IDF I guess).

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Demiurge4 posted:

This is in the West Bank too. Unless there's some weird context I'm missing I don't see why they can't just show up and arrest them? Nobody is going to start a shootout in a hospital (except the IDF I guess).

https://x.com/reuters/status/1752261622121517078?s=46&t=ARI_L-v32Oind1-d9B3a3Q

Clearly, the dude paralysed below the waist was a serious flight risk.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

https://x.com/reuters/status/1752261622121517078?s=46&t=ARI_L-v32Oind1-d9B3a3Q

Clearly, the dude paralysed below the waist was a serious flight risk.
I love Reuters uncritically agreeing (or just doing it themselves) with Israel that the appropriate term for three people in a hospital, one of them seemingly paraplegic, is "gunmen".

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Ravenfood posted:

I love Reuters uncritically agreeing (or just doing it themselves) with Israel that the appropriate term for three people in a hospital, one of them seemingly paraplegic, is "gunmen".

They are just relaying what Israel said, as evident by the 'Israeli authorities said' before the statement. An article on their website calls them militants, which is broadly true, I suppose, even though, per the article

Reuters posted:

Palestinian hospital sources told Reuters the three Palestinians killed in the hospital were not armed or involved in any fighting at the time of the raid.

Hospital officials said the Israeli undercover squad broke into the medical complex, headed to the third floor and killed the three with silenced pistols.

"They executed the three men as they slept in the room. They executed them in cold blood by firing bullets directly into their heads inside the room where they were being treated," Niji Nazzal, the hospital's medical director, told Reuters.

Hospital sources said one of them, Basel Al-Ghazzawi, had been paralysed when he was wounded by shrapnel during a clash between Israeli forces and Palestinian militants in October, and was in a wheelchair.

Ghazzawi was in the hospital for treatment and his brother Mohammad was staying with him to help out, the sources said. The third man was a friend, they said.

Palestinian Health Minister Mai Alkaila described the incident as a war crime and urged the United Nations and international rights groups to put an end to such actions.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

They're doing war crimes squared now. Perfidy to kill unarmed men getting treatment in a hospital.

edit: vile but not surprising

https://x.com/MustafaBarghou1/status/1752235095199477771?s=20

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jan 30, 2024

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Groovelord Neato posted:

They're doing war crimes squared now. Perfidy to kill unarmed men getting treatment in a hospital.

I bet they will try to pass it as a law enforcement raid as opposed to a military operation. They were just undercover cops trying to apprehend three dangerous criminals, you see. One weird trick, etc.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Marenghi posted:

More evidence for when the ICJ reconvenes that Israel is not only not stopping the genocide. They're adding to their war crimes by murdering injured combatants receiving treatment in hospital.

It’s clear that based on western nations pulling funds from UNRWA that they’ll declare any evidence gathered by the agency to be invalid, and therefore the ICJ (if it does ultimately rule Israel is committing genocide) can simply be ignored.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Can you imagine if Hamas dressed as doctors, infiltrated an Israeli hospital and started executing wounded IDF soldiers there?

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

punishedkissinger posted:

Can you imagine if Hamas dressed as doctors, infiltrated an Israeli hospital and started executing wounded IDF soldiers there?

There is a non zero chance the Israeli government will produce some ZAKA paramedic in the next few days who will directly claim this.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Just giving away that the appellation was always intended as a smear.

https://x.com/elahieh/status/1752286644986949776?s=20

The Top G
Jul 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Groovelord Neato posted:

Just giving away that the appellation was always intended as a smear.

https://x.com/elahieh/status/1752286644986949776?s=20

Not even two years ago Israel blew up the AP building in Gaza and they still carry water for them like this. I’m reluctant to use the “cuck” word but I don’t know how else to describe this type of pathetic behavior

https://apnews.com/article/israel-middle-east-business-israel-palestinian-conflict-fe452147166f55ba5a9d32e6ba8b53d7

quote:

JERUSALEM (AP) — An Israeli airstrike on Saturday destroyed a high-rise building that housed The Associated Press office in the Gaza Strip, despite repeated urgent calls from the news agency to the military to halt the impending attack. AP called the strike “shocking and horrifying.”

Twelve AP staffers and freelancers were working and resting in the bureau on Saturday afternoon when the Israeli military telephoned a warning, giving occupants of the building one hour to evacuate. Everyone was able to get out, grabbing a few belongings, before three heavy missiles struck the 12-story building, collapsing it into a giant cloud of dust.

Although no one was hurt, the airstrike demolished an office that was like a second home for AP journalists and marked a new chapter in the already rocky relationship between the Israeli military and the international media. Press-freedom groups condemned the attack. They accused the military, which claimed the building housed Hamas military intelligence, of trying to censor coverage of Israel’s relentless offensive against Hamas militants.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

The Top G posted:

Not even two years ago Israel blew up the AP building in Gaza and they still carry water for them like this. I’m reluctant to use the “cuck” word but I don’t know how else to describe this type of pathetic behavior

https://apnews.com/article/israel-middle-east-business-israel-palestinian-conflict-fe452147166f55ba5a9d32e6ba8b53d7

The thing about imperialism/colonialism is that the -prestige- of empire is worth more than life and money.

Portugual was literally sending its youth into the grinder in their African colonies in the 1960s and 70s, losing them to ambushes and PTSD from the atrocities they comitted, and the money and resources they got back didn't even cover the investment, pensions and other costs of the venture (though of course, the -right- people made out like bandits while others footed the bill), but to question that logic or drop the project entirely was out of the question. It was an admission of being wrong, of losing, and worse, that they were not an european power but a decadent backwater.

They were willing to spend and bleed the country into the grave to bolster that fantasy, and almost did.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

The Top G posted:

You've misread. AP's reporting didn't include the 'Hamas-run' bit, it was added by ABC.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

So there’s a video going around on Twitter of the hospital room, and there’s a big bloody hole in the center of the pillow on the bed. They were comfortably not in a rush enough to just walk up and dome an apparently paralysed person lying helpless in a hospital bed.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

This might be a dumb question but, couldn't they just walk in with a lot of troops and arrest them, then execute them later? This happened in the West Bank. Why do it like this? Did they just want to avoid any resistance?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Elman posted:

This might be a dumb question but, couldn't they just walk in with a lot of troops and arrest them, then execute them later? This happened in the West Bank. Why do it like this? Did they just want to avoid any resistance?

I think this is one of those "the brazen cruelty is the point" situations

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
One was crippled, they could have easily taken them all in and held them for interrogation.
This was like a Mafia style hit to send a message.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Elman posted:

I have the same question; in addition to being a blatant war crime, this seems really weird and pointless.

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I have the same question; in addition to being a blatant war crime, this seems really weird and pointless.

The fact that issrael can kill anyone they feel like at any time with no repercussions probably IS the point. Makes the boys feel like real big tough men.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

It's because it was a cheap, easy win. Shooting disabled people while they sleep is extremely on brand for the IOF.
They are terrified of fighting those same people when they are fit and ready, because they are bitchmade cowards.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you

Pookah posted:

It's because it was a cheap, easy win. Shooting disabled people while they sleep is extremely on brand for the IOF.
They are terrified of fighting those same people when they are fit and ready, because they are bitchmade cowards.

Actually you're right. It's this.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Demiurge4 posted:

So there’s a video going around on Twitter of the hospital room, and there’s a big bloody hole in the center of the pillow on the bed. They were comfortably not in a rush enough to just walk up and dome an apparently paralysed person lying helpless in a hospital bed.

Appears they were all either lying down or sleeping - there's the hospital bed and two other reclined chairs/beds with blood on them.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Pookah posted:

Can we talk about the sniveling ineffectual cowardice of the war criminal IDF without gendered insults?

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

lmao :decorum:

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Please be sure to give a spore friendly thumbs up.

DelilahFlowers
Jan 10, 2020

Jaxyon posted:

Can we talk about the sniveling ineffectual cowardice of the war criminal IDF without gendered insults?
I granted them the bitch pass as is my power to do as a woman.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Jaxyon posted:

Okay. They are cowards fashioned of the worst, lowest-quality sperms. You'd expect better from an army that has crossed new frontiers in sperm collection, frankly.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

bitchmade isn't even the right label for that poo poo, they're war fuckboys doing neo-brownshirt shitbirdery

now on the other hand, ben gvir's crowd of political friends, all out there online proudly celebrating the arab cosplay hitmen squads because likid's weak poo poo ruling coalition gives them a hall pass to be horny for genocide? PURE bitchmade. 100% little meat syndrome

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

MadSparkle
Aug 7, 2012

Can Bernie count on you to add to our chest's mad sparkle? Can you spare a little change for an old buccaneer?

Elman posted:

I don't think they really give a poo poo tbh
There's no one really holding them accountable in any serious way, so you see a lot of entitled arrogance. West Bank is where they were going to go next after Gaza, so this isn't surprising , the level of violence in the West Bank has been going up for some time now, it's their next "project"

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
Plus the media never even asks the question on if these are war crimes. And the IDF lies are also laundered at the same time.

FrozenGoldfishGod
Oct 29, 2009

JUST LOOK AT THIS SHIT POST!

MadSparkle posted:

I don't think they really give a poo poo tbh
There's no one really holding them accountable in any serious way, so you see a lot of entitled arrogance. West Bank is where they were going to go next after Gaza, so this isn't surprising , the level of violence in the West Bank has been going up for some time now, it's their next "project"

Pretty much. It's just the Israelis deciding, "We're gonna redo the pogroms, but this time we get to be the Cossacks."

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Deceit by perfidy and killing of those rendered hors de combat are both war crimes, alongside the more regular crimes like shooting dead people they could clearly have arrested.

They are mad about being called on all their evil acts and throwing a child's you-can't-make-me tantrum over it, intending to act in obviously unacceptable ways with impunity.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Ms Adequate posted:

Deceit by perfidy and killing of those rendered hors de combat are both war crimes, alongside the more regular crimes like shooting dead people they could clearly have arrested.

They are mad about being called on all their evil acts and throwing a child's you-can't-make-me tantrum over it, intending to act in obviously unacceptable ways with impunity.

It's just gonna inspire Hamas to use the same tactics and make things even worse for the dumb monsters. The entire reason why it's a war crime is to make it happen less, but Israel's gotta be the smart boys.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Ms Adequate posted:

This part isn't true, because they've been doing this for decades. The unit that did this (according to the news) was founded in 1986.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Miftan posted:

This part isn't true, because they've been doing this for decades. The unit that did this (according to the news) was founded in 1986.

... That doesn't mean that unit has been doing perfidy war crimes since 1986.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hong XiuQuan
Feb 19, 2008

"Without justice for the Palestinians there will be no peace in the Middle East."

Miftan posted:

It's absolutely not the case that they've been entering hospitals in occupied territory and executing people in beds since the 1980s.

I would agree, however, this isn't vastly off some of their 'commando' actions in eg Lebanon, or their assassination routines across Europe (see eg post-Munich, (probably) Gerald Bull et al)

Edit: ie this *is* unusual and reflects a complete feeling of impunity on the part of Israel. It hasn't even bothered with much of a smokescreen. Just trotted out keyphrases for PR, like 'imminent threat'.