Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

jaegerx posted:

Ban work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

xzzy posted:

There's an idea being floated around by the Colorado governor where property taxes get calculated based on land value not the building. One of the common arguments against it is that they'll end up tearing out parking garages from downtown areas and putting in dense buildings.

Yes, exactly.

jaegerx posted:

That was the only part I loved about nyc. No truck. Just public transportation

The Fool posted:

ban cars from cities

Hell yeah
Hell yeah
Hell yeah
Hell yeah

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

xzzy posted:

There's an idea being floated around by the Colorado governor where property taxes get calculated based on land value not the building. One of the common arguments against it is that they'll end up tearing out parking garages from downtown areas and putting in dense buildings.

Yes, exactly.

Good idea, if there's decent mass transit...?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Hughmoris posted:

I think this is it. I can only imagine the obscene number of unqualified applicants that a remote-only 'Easy Apply' position attracts.

This is awesome and I don't know why you wouldn't want to integrate this with your HR suite.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Wibla posted:

Good idea, if there's decent mass transit...?

Given a few years of parking lot taxes and there will be

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

tokin opposition posted:

Given a few years of parking lot taxes and there will be

https://www.npr.org/2023/05/09/1175035781/how-parking-explains-everything

Just listened to this on the weekend.

Long story short, yes. Make people pay for parking.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Living in EU where parking has been taxed for decades I can tell you it doesn’t change poo poo. It only makes it less acessible for poor people.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

LochNessMonster posted:

Living in EU where parking has been taxed for decades I can tell you it doesn’t change poo poo. It only makes it less acessible for poor people.

This.

Charge for the parking (private company, of course), but don't invest in the public transport either because that's communism. Can't afford to get to work? Tough. No you can't have a remote job. They're for people who can afford electric cars but don't actually do any work

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Dog_Meat posted:

This.

Charge for the parking (private company, of course), but don't invest in the public transport either because that's communism. Can't afford to get to work? Tough. No you can't have a remote job. They're for people who can afford electric cars but don't actually do any work

Don’t forget those electric cars are subsidized and give significant tax benefits to those who need them the least. Most people can’t afford an electric car after all.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

NPR Journalizard posted:

https://www.npr.org/2023/05/09/1175035781/how-parking-explains-everything

Just listened to this on the weekend.

Long story short, yes. Make people pay for parking.

It costs $14 a day to park near my new job. I'm pretty sure that doesn't change anything other than screw over poor people.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Umbreon posted:

It costs $14 a day to park near my new job. I'm pretty sure that doesn't change anything other than screw over poor people.

About $30 a day at a place I worked almost a decade ago. The company had a big rear end private parking lot mostly empty and didn’t allow contractors to park there. My (then) boss just expensed my parking costs to the client.

The nearest parking space was still a 10 minute walk on top of an already lovely commute. Sucked big time if it rained.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

LochNessMonster posted:

This, and in my experience at least, the price of public transport is rising relative to wages, but routes are fewer and times less frequent.

Edit: and it's not because of low taxes, hahaha, nope..

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Jan 30, 2024

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
I’d happily not have two cars, but I live in one of the least walkable cities in the US, which naturally has a more or less non-existent public transportation system outside of a half-assed bus system. And it’s nearly all single family homes, most of which are so close together that it doesn’t even make sense to have them as single family units (because neighbors can hear through walls as if it were an apartment anyways).

Woo

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
So we are trying to shop around for different cellular services for roughly 40 iPads and 40 cellular backups. I got my first quote and it’s a little higher than I expected at $35 per iPad with 10g data and $60 unlimited for the cellular backup. Am I wrong and that’s decent?

Still waiting to hear back from other providers. I get we are nothing when it comes to business contracts but I swear getting somebody in sales to talk to you is one of the most challenging parts of my job. Did all the small business reps get laid off?

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Small business only makes line go up smol

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

You know what boat means? Bust Out Another Thousand

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Sorry, I already own a house. Thousand doesn't even make me flinch.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Sorry, I haven't updated that phrase to factor in inflation.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Well guess we can't change anything since it could conceivably inconvenience someone

How's y'all's IBM 360s doing?

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Broadcom is going to absolutely murder vmware by exploding prices, particularly on secondary offerings. I knew on-prem VDI was going the way of the dodo anyways, but having Citrix get acquired (and I'm sure soon to be stripped for parts) and with Broadcom openly saying they're gonna do the same with Horizon the future isn't so bright for on-prem VDI stuff.

We have a specific use case that requires these dumb things to live on premises for the applications (factory floor stuff with very low latency requirements and ability to run in full isolation from the internet) with GPU acceleration, but that's becoming increasingly incredibly expensive. I think we're just going to have to go back to thick machines and figure something out with Autopilot to image the stupid things or something else to manage the fleet of them. Most of these horrible applications are anathema to containerization so there would be huge changes to just make the plunge and put the core apps into k8s and k3s. Just very cool all around.

I know OpenShift can support fake "conventional" vms inside of k8s. Mulling that over since we are leveraging that ability to run containerized workloads inside of VMWare as well so if we have to scrap it, I will either have to find something else that can do both or end up having to have two sets of things. A bare metal k8s setup for the modern apps, and conventional vm hypervisor for the rest, which will also suck.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Our on prem vmware group is in a panic about it and have been grilling us on our vm deployment (which is now proxmox) to get a feel for stability and migration feasibility.

The GPU requirement is tougher, for our users that need that stuff we point them at our OKD install (where maintaining gpu access still sucks but at least it works).

I'd think long and hard about giving RedHat money, their overlords are IBM now and they're gonna increasingly turn the screws.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Is a Cisco catalyst 2960 a good switch to learn basic networking on? I found one in the biomed backshop and I figure with all my free time I can set up a small network or something

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Hed posted:

Didn't see a good thread for this since it looks like this one is focused on careers but I didn't see anything IT A/V or other on here so figured this might have a good reach?

Our current boardroom (~15x50) just has a Crestron camera bar at the far end. It's OK, just gives a sense of the scope of the room but you can't see past the first few participants. Our chairman has asked what we can do and that he's seen some interesting stuff from Owl Labs. It looks like they have a camera that also plops onto the table and can focus on folks.

The current microphone and speaker distribution in the room is great.

The idea would be can we get a better camera and have the ability to "hot shot" focus on the active speaker(s) during meetings (typically Teams or Zoom). I'll take a look at Owl, but are there any other systems I should be looking at?

Resurrecting this...

I have a board room that's an actual circle. People sit around a circular table. Right now, we have an owl perched (heh) in the middle, and my CEO wants something better.

Issues with Owl are primarily either "too sensitive" or "not sensitive enough" depending, and the video quality not being great. The model we have is I think about 4 years old.

Requirement: Remote attendee able to see EVERYONE even if they're not speaking (Owl "strip" at the top of the feed satisfies this requirement)

Is there anything else out there that can meet this requirement and is also better?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Dans Macabre posted:

Resurrecting this...

I have a board room that's an actual circle. People sit around a circular table. Right now, we have an owl perched (heh) in the middle, and my CEO wants something better.

Issues with Owl are primarily either "too sensitive" or "not sensitive enough" depending, and the video quality not being great. The model we have is I think about 4 years old.

Requirement: Remote attendee able to see EVERYONE even if they're not speaking (Owl "strip" at the top of the feed satisfies this requirement)

Is there anything else out there that can meet this requirement and is also better?

You forgot to say what kind of conferencing suite do you use. Microsoft has specialized cameras for teams to be deployed in round rooms for instance.

https://www.yealink.com/en/product-detail/smartvision60

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jan 30, 2024

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

My old job had this polycom thing that would sit in the middle of the table and the camera had a bunch of mirrors to give a 360 view
it worked surprisingly well

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Hotel Kpro posted:

Is a Cisco catalyst 2960 a good switch to learn basic networking on? I found one in the biomed backshop and I figure with all my free time I can set up a small network or something

Basic networking as in VLANs, port security, etc? Old as hell, but that'll do just fine. Hunt around for a second one and you can play with port channels, spanning tree, all that fun stuff.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

xzzy posted:

Our on prem vmware group is in a panic about it and have been grilling us on our vm deployment (which is now proxmox) to get a feel for stability and migration feasibility.

The GPU requirement is tougher, for our users that need that stuff we point them at our OKD install (where maintaining gpu access still sucks but at least it works).

I'd think long and hard about giving RedHat money, their overlords are IBM now and they're gonna increasingly turn the screws.

Thank you that's actually something to look into. I haven't played with publishing GPUs into OKD and it doesn't seem any less terrible than the stuff we have to do to make it work in VMWare Horizon already.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

Cenodoxus posted:

Basic networking as in VLANs, port security, etc? Old as hell, but that'll do just fine. Hunt around for a second one and you can play with port channels, spanning tree, all that fun stuff.

It’s sitting on a 3Com 1100, although I could track down the local IT guy and see what he’s got laying around. Also need to see if one of these old rear end HP Compaq’s still work to set up a personal LAN, don’t think they’d be happy if I tried running off my networked laptop

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Save yourself the effort and just pick up Boson NetSim or GNS or something. Way easier and effecient in the long run.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Dans Macabre posted:

Resurrecting this...

I presume the displays are under the desk opposite if people are arranged in a circle? The Yealink camera mentioned earlier is the only Teams-certified device that I am aware of but it seems designed for smaller rooms than what you describe.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
Welp the dual 27 inch setup was nice while it lasted but the monitors we were purchasing are discontinued and the replacement model is almost twice as much. ($230 to $400)
Back to 24s we go.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

SlowBloke posted:

You forgot to say what kind of conferencing suite do you use. Microsoft has specialized cameras for teams to be deployed in round rooms for instance.

https://www.yealink.com/en/product-detail/smartvision60

It must work with teams and zoom. I will look at this!!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Cyks posted:

Welp the dual 27 inch setup was nice while it lasted but the monitors we were purchasing are discontinued and the replacement model is almost twice as much. ($230 to $400)
Back to 24s we go.

Doesn't have DisplayPort MST but it's cheap https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/p/accessories-and-software/monitors/office/62d0gar1us

I'm not sure why you don't seem to have this available but it should hit your budget and is much better https://www.lenovo.com/gb/en/p/accessories-and-software/monitors/office/63a3gzr1uk

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jan 30, 2024

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Cyks posted:

Back to 24s we go.

Go ultra wide.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

i really hate trying to diagnose network issues, remotely, when my support tool keeps disconnecting, Made a poor user plug directly into the router except she unplugged the modem because she didn't have a second ethernet cable

and yes, I did check DNS first.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Bad ASIC on a Cisco holy gently caress was that a nightmare to track down.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I was stung by that on a FortiGate a couple months back, there's a chip that desolders itself and lifts off the board and the symptom is a ton of packet loss in one direction on an interface. I would have preferred the thing to just die.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

how do you gently caress up a chip in such a way it gets hot enough to desolder itself????? goddamn

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

tokin opposition posted:

how do you gently caress up a chip in such a way it gets hot enough to desolder itself????? goddamn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

tokin opposition posted:

I had a machine that was doing something weird. c.1998 using Filemaker extensively seemed t make sense; it was a strange time. Our HR manager would open up the employee database and the last 4 digits of the social security number was only 3 digits. If she signed in on a different machine it was fine. If someone else signed in on her machine they also got 3 digits. Nothing else was wrong with the machine.

After exhausting anything software or OS related I opened the machine up to check that the RAM was seated right. And there it was, a little blob of thermal paste had run out from under the heatsink and got onto one of the pins. I looked up the CPU diagram (Motorola 68LC040) and sure enough it was the FPU pinout.

One of the reason using Filemaker made sense was that Claris had some extremely competent programmers. It was fast as hell crunching reports off of huge (for a machine with a 68LC040) databases. It wasn't doing conventional string manipulation, just flopping bytes and words around, they were doing some spooky floating point magic under the hood.

I gave her a new machine and everyone was happy, except the CFO because the bad machine was out of warranty,