Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I always assumed he had some background in high school/collegiate wrestling, is this correct? Why would you think you had a shot in MMA without some kind of technical background?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Vengarr posted:

I am the opposite, never saw a single wrestling match. I assumed going in he would be able to grapple at least.

Does he wrestle as poorly as he fights?

He put together matches with fantastic story and flow that made you believe he was amazing (which as you're unfamiliar with wrestling is like 75% of what makes someone good at it) and while athletically he was nowhere near any of his contemporaries like Bryan Danielson or Claudio Castagnoli et. al., his mystique was undeniable and he was still interesting to watch. Once he lost his mystique due to attitude problems (extremely long story) he could still put together good matches but then his body turned on him and now he's extremely funny in every way.

As for experience in combat sports...he was probably thinking "oh I've trained jiu jitsu, I can make my dream happen". And then, well, lmao.

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

Vengarr posted:

I always assumed he had some background in high school/collegiate wrestling, is this correct? Why would you think you had a shot in MMA without some kind of technical background?

no, he had no school wrestling experience. he and his friends were backyard wrestlers

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Vengarr posted:

he's a black belt in Gracie Jiu Jitsu and an expert in Muay Thai kickboxing, brother

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Vengarr posted:

He'd done a couple private BJJ lessons.

I'm serious.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Codependent Poster posted:

Punk has always been a weird wrestler because he is sloppy a lot but could still have good matches. And that's been through his entire career

Come to think of it, that's weirdly close to how I've long rated Jericho: can put together some excellent matches, has a great handle on his character and psychology, can talk until the cows come home, but was never top tier as far as the actual wrestling goes, especially in comparison to some of his close contemporaries. You'd think they would get along like a house on fire as a result, but as far as I know, I don't think they've ever really gotten along. Possibly because Jericho is a massive alcoholic?

Majinfoose
Jul 26, 2007

HOLY SHIT
This vegan brisket is bussin

I don't even watch MMA and can tell Punk is bad at it. God why is making fun of Punk such a good time?

Goblin Queen posted:

He looks like a bigger Kid Rock

Is this just razzing Emi fans or did something bad actually happen there?

Razzing, specifically apartment wrestling fans

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

wait hang on i almost forgot, he's also skilled at Kenpo Karate

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Majinfoose posted:

God why is making fun of Punk such a good time?

It's always fun to make fun of someone who both takes themselves far too seriously, and has basically shown they have absolutely zero principles :v:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Come to think of it, that's weirdly close to how I've long rated Jericho: can put together some excellent matches, has a great handle on his character and psychology, can talk until the cows come home, but was never top tier as far as the actual wrestling goes, especially in comparison to some of his close contemporaries. You'd think they would get along like a house on fire as a result, but as far as I know, I don't think they've ever really gotten along. Possibly because Jericho is a massive alcoholic?

Peak Jericho was massively better in-ring that peak Punk imo

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Yeah, he was delusional about being a BJJ blue belt. Or he knew what would happen but decided millions of dollars was worth the embarrassment. I'd let Mickie Gall beat the poo poo out of me for that much money.

I was kind of shocked at how bad he was. He'd always been a pretty poor athlete, but spending a year+ full time training at a major fight camp, plus he should be used to bright lights and big crowds so not unnerved by that, I dunno I would have expected a better showing.

Undertaker told a story on his yt channel recently about Punk thinking he'd be able to tap Lashley and Benjamin, and both of them proving him wrong right then and there backstage. So being delusional about shoot capabilities has been a thing with Punk for a long time.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Endless Mike posted:

Jericho still hits the Lionsault just about every match at 53, CM Punk could never

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Lionheart Jericho was a thousand times more athletic than punk was at any point in punk’s career

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Yeah do not look at Jericho now and think he's only been marginally better than that.

Jericho at his peak could fuckin' GO.

He's still not that bad in the ring, honestly--just old and bigger.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I should clarify that I don't think Jericho's ever been bad as a wrestler, it's just that he was always being compared to the likes of Eddie and Benoit (and Lance Storm) so he always seemed slightly worse off. A bit like Punk with Danielson and all that. I've not really seen enough of peak Punk to compare them otherwise, just what appeared to be their similar circumstances, at least in my mind.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Majinfoose posted:

Because his hubris and hypocrisy got the best of him and the self-destruction of his legacy is deserved.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Hedgehog Pie posted:

As a fan Punk and Jericho have always been my top two.

One is a Jan 6 chud and the other is a backstage rear end in a top hat. Both of 'em can talk though.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I would agree that Jericho is similar in that he's less of an athlete or technician and more of a performer, but also peaked higher as a worker.

He also peaked higher as an athlete since getting kicked off the school hockey team for sucking is less embarrassing than that second UFC fight.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

MassRafTer posted:

Maybe instead of insulting Punk for trying something new you can appreciate The Legendary The Undertaker for trying something new.

https://twitter.com/MichaelHamflett/status/1752040833635787008

The crop cuts off his collection of wallet chains :(

There's so much I'm laughing at in this pic. Most of it has already been mentioned. But a BSK shirt in TYOOL 2024 has me laughing out loud.

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

Endless Mike posted:

Jericho now is better than peak Punk. Jericho is still pretty athletic and can hit lionsaults and hurricaranas really well. I dont think Punk could ever do that

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

https://x.com/Raion74_/status/1752374692034261373?s=20

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Raskolnikov38 posted:

the exchange of punches from 0:10 to 0:20 seconds is my favorite exchange in all of MMA

Punk throwing those punches and watching Micky quickly realize he did not need to defend himself in the grapple was very funny. Those first 20 seconds are physical comedy gold.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Vengarr posted:

if you considered both athletic potential and any combat sport background, and used that to make a list of all time wrestlers who had the worst chances in a UFC bout, Punk at least makes the top 25, if not top 10

dude had zero athleticism even when he was young

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

Eagerly awaiting the wwe universe to start blaming AEW rings/training/doctors for Punk getting injured.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

A Real Horse posted:

Eagerly awaiting the wwe universe to start blaming AEW rings/training/doctors for Punk getting injured.

They think it's a work or Punk is going to pull a John Cena 2007. Because they are dumb.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

MassRafTer posted:

Maybe instead of insulting Punk for trying something new you can appreciate The Legendary The Undertaker for trying something new.

bigot jay oakerson

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

MassRafTer posted:

kane rides his chopper like this

while big show rides his chopper like this

whoscookinbacon
Apr 4, 2011

post hole digger posted:

There's a civil war going on with Black people right now, and there's two sides,
                                                                                        /

Tell em, Booger Red Skelton!

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

A Real Horse posted:

Some of the more braindead engagement farmers already are.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

As funny as Punk being fragile in every way is, him winning the Rumble and then missing Mania would have been far funnier

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

lmfao they even put him in the video game before he even fought

That must be the most difficult pathway in career mode

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Critical posted:

bigot jay oakerson

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

TV Zombie posted:

That must be the most difficult pathway in career mode

It's like how Dark Souls lets you pick a character with zero stats or items if you're really into getting your rear end kicked

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I should clarify that I don't think Jericho's ever been bad as a wrestler, it's just that he was always being compared to the likes of Eddie and Benoit (and Lance Storm) so he always seemed slightly worse off. A bit like Punk with Danielson and all that. I've not really seen enough of peak Punk to compare them otherwise, just what appeared to be their similar circumstances, at least in my mind.

To further expand (because I was a young Jerichoholic AND a big ROH fan back in the day) Jericho was light years better. Lionheart to WCW he was awesome. His stuff versus Eddie G and Alex Wright are worth seeking out. Problem was you had a ton of Luchadores, Benoit, Malenko, Saturn, Lance Storm, Kanyon and so on. Ring wise WCW had a metric fucktonne of talent; especially in the mid and undercard. Jericho blew most of those guys away with mic and character work. Conspiracy era Jericho was hilarious. In WWF/E Jericho had to put on some weight and wore lifts so he became a bit sloppy. Later on the Ocho adapted to his size and, eventually, age and we got a guy still in contention for GOAT.

Punk? Early Punk was okay in the ring but, as people have said, character work, mic skills and an ability to build a great match were his strengths. That and he seemed so effortlessly cool. Danielson was a guy who, until late 00s was a bit bland everywhere but the ring. Once he stepped in the ring, even guys who could care less started gawking and wondered who the gently caress this guy was and why he wasn’t everywhere. Danielson got better outside the ring around 2007 to 2009 but really he wasn’t what a teenager thought of as cool. Claudio? He was a dick and skilled but the closest he came to cool was teamed with Chris Hero. Teddy Hart? Low-Ki? Christopher Daniels? I thought Homocide was a kind of cool in a murder you way but I don’t think many kids wanted to be Homocide. You wanted to be like CM Punk. Even as a heel you loved him because he was a rebel who would always fight the system and go his own way and surely never sell out.<LOL> Tony Khan gave him the keys to the throne and would have gone out on top of the world… instead he just had to punch the Bucks, sic his dog Ace on Kenny (Kenny Omega had bite marks on his arm) and later on try and kill Tony Khan. I still hope we find out the deets to that last fight. LOL on Punk self own.

But you know who had a cool factor AND was a god in the ring? Samoa Joe. I know most here, even fans, dont think of Joe that way but like 2001 to like 2005 Samoa Joe was one the best in the ring and on the mic felt like the god of vengeance. Like the entire world couldn’t wait to see what he did next. Nowadays he’s still good and
I’m happy as hell he’s champ but man… back in the day. A god I tell ya. Still mad at TNA and WWE for wasting Joe. Still hoping Danielson gets the big AEW (and/or NJPW) gold belt before he quits as Danielson is still amazing in every way. Joe and Danielson deserve every accolade. Punk deserves a booth next to Virgil.

DogsInSpace! fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jan 30, 2024

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Majinfoose posted:

For me, it's because Mox's "Fragile ego, fragile body, weak mind, weak spirit" promo keeps holding to be true in every single way.

It's not a matter of if, but when, he finally has a similar breakdown to Brawl Out after all these injuries.

I predict it will be after he doesn't get the main event of Wrestlemania 41 and he realizes his body can't make it to Wrestlemania 42 to finally got that one career milestone that's out of reach

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
On current time table Punk could be back and healthy in time to suck a blood money covered Saudi dick, which he will do great at I bet

Jeroen
Jun 2, 2004
I have been accused of a stalker!

DogsInSpace! posted:

To further expand (because I was a young Jerichoholic AND a big ROH fan back in the day) Jericho was light years better. Lionheart to WCW he was awesome. His stuff versus Eddie G and Alex Wright are worth seeking out. Problem was you had a ton of Luchadores, Benoit, Malenko, Saturn, Lance Storm, Kanyon and so on. Ring wise WCW had a metric fucktonne of talent; especially in the mid and undercard. Jericho blew most of those guys away with mic and character work. Conspiracy era Jericho was hilarious. In WWF/E Jericho had to put on some weight and wore lifts so he became a bit sloppy. Later on the Ocho adapted to his size and, eventually, age and we got a guy still in contention for GOAT.

Punk? Early Punk was okay in the ring but, as people have said, character work, mic skills and an ability to build a great match were his strengths. That and he seemed so effortlessly cool. Danielson was a guy who, until late 00s was a bit bland everywhere but the ring. Once he stepped in the ring, even guys who could care less started gawking and wondered who the gently caress this guy was and why he wasn’t everywhere. Danielson got better outside the ring around 2007 to 2009 but really he wasn’t what a teenager thought of as cool. Claudio? He was a dick and skilled but the closest he came to cool was teamed with Chris Hero. Teddy Hart? Low-Ki? Christopher Daniels? I thought Homocide was a kind of cool in a murder you way but I don’t think many kids wanted to be Homocide. You wanted to be like CM Punk. Even as a heel you loved him because he was a rebel who would always fight the system and go his own way and surely never sell out.<LOL> Tony Khan gave him the keys to the throne and would have gone out on top of the world… instead he just had to punch the Bucks, sic his dog Ace on Kenny (Kenny Omega had bite marks on his arm) and later on try and kill Tony Khan. I still hope we find out the deets to that last fight. LOL on Punk self own.

But you know who had a cool factor AND was a god in the ring? Samoa Joe. I know most here, even fans, dont think of Joe that way but like 2001 to like 2005 Samoa Joe was one the best in the ring and on the mic felt like the god of vengeance. Like the entire world couldn’t wait to see what he did next. Nowadays he’s still good and
I’m happy as hell he’s champ but man… back in the day. A god I tell ya. Still mad at TNA and WWE for wasting Joe. Still hoping Danielson gets the big AEW (and/or NJPW) gold belt before he quits as Danielson is still amazing in every way. Joe and Danielson deserve every accolade. Punk deserves a booth next to Virgil.

These are great observations and I would happily watch a pape with you, but I couldn't stop chuckling at 'I don’t think many kids wanted to be Homocide.'

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Critical posted:

bigot jay oakerson

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Joey McChrist posted:

no, he had no school wrestling experience. he and his friends were backyard wrestlers

:lol:

Glad I didn’t know that at the time, it made his rear end kicking much funnier. Punk was pushed hard in the lead up to the fight and the storyline being sold was whether he could adapt to Gall’s striking. The promos didn’t mention he couldn’t grapple either.