Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

Yeah it's the same everywhere, housing is cheap in the middle of nowhere where nobody wants to live because there's nothing to do (both work and like for fun) but the top cities are skyrocketing

It's true I live in Buffalo and there's only one restaurant and no culture. Only poverty and meth additions for miles. Cars rust here the first year and the only doctor died in a blizzard making house calls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

quote:

Seems like best move is to convince all your friends and family to move to Madison or Pittsburgh and open a radical bar/skate park for you to work at.

Solves the housing cost, "nobody there," entertainment, and employment problems all in one fell swoop.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

KillHour posted:

It's true I live in Buffalo and there's only one restaurant and no culture. Only poverty and meth additions for miles. Cars rust here the first year and the only doctor died in a blizzard making house calls.

This explains Bills fans

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

KillHour posted:

You have the Bills stadium, there's probably an extra restaurant on the owners level that's open on game days.

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

On a per square foot basis, the cheapest one (Homewood, in PA) only increased 1.4% last year - lower than inflation.

However, when you google the name of the town one of the first things that comes up is how it was "destroyed by disinvestment when industry shut down in the 1970's and then the war on drugs," so there might be a specific reason for that extremely low median home value (~$30k).

Edit: It looks like almost all of them on the cheapest list have barely increased in price at all or even decreased when adjusted for inflation, but almost all of them are towns that started dying in the 1970's and 1980's because they were reliant on one specific industry that shrank or left and they never recovered - including the ironically named "Industry" in Indiana.

The Industry in this case actually lasted longer than you might think - but that's right in the broad strokes:
https://www.thestarpress.com/story/news/local/2018/09/06/muncies-borgwarner-property-through-years/1211232002/

The crazy thing in this case is that Industry is a neighborhood of Muncie, and Muncie actually has another major industry - higher education. Ball State University is almost certainly the largest employer in the city. The problem is, the population of Muncie contracted so much that peripheral neighborhoods like Industry became irrelevant.

The peak population of the city was the 1980 census at 76k, and the 2020 number is 65k. In practice, what that means is a lot of long-term vacancies and blight - there are 26,692 households and 4,491 vacant units, so like a 15% vacancy rate. In practice, probably 2/3rds of those vacancies are places that are perpetually empty - they generate no income and no one lives there, so they stay empty and no one does regular upkeep or maintenance. It doesn't help that of that 65k 15k are undergrads and 5k are grad students - they aren't necessarily year-round residents, and many are going to be in university housing.

There's also no real benefit to the property values not keeping up with inflation because neither are the incomes: poverty spiked between 2000 and 2020 because jobs vanished.

Theoretically you could remote work from there, but if you aren't a student your options for recreation are gonna be nil.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Nervous posted:

You have the Bills stadium, there's probably an extra restaurant on the owners level that's open on game days.

The Bills Stadium is in Orchard Park, which is where all the gun-toting pro-Trump nutjobs live. Between them and the Bills Mafia, out of towners should probably just stay away.

Back to reality though, the last 10 years have been loving nuts here. House values have gone up 3-fold, there are more expensive restaurants and bars than I can count, and everyone my age buys their legal weed on the way to the rock gym at 1PM on a Wednesday because we all work remote for companies based in SF or NYC that pay stupid money for the area. The gentrification is real. It only looks like it does on that map in comparison to a few places that went absolutely bananas. Those outliers are making the rest of the country look empty, which just isn't true.

Edit: It's also a sub-2 hour drive to Toronto, which is comparable to someone who lives on Long Island and goes to NYC on the weekends or whatever.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jan 30, 2024

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
When yiz are discussing culture or the lack thereof, what are you specifically referencing? I assume it isn't the resident companies in the major performing arts: symphony, ballet, opera, and theatre (which Houston has, for example) nor the major museums in places like Chicago?

I see it brought up a lot and never quite know what exactly people mean besides their general understanding of a city's vibe, which can often just mean that that person doesn't know that specific city very well, or doesn't enjoy the offerings said city does have.

If I had to guess I'd say the definition is a variety of bars and restaurants that often a lot of different cuisines, but most college towns have those (as well as bands that come through on tour).

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jan 30, 2024

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Seems like best move is to convince all your friends and family to move to Madison or Pittsburgh and open a radical bar/skate park for you to work at.

Solves the housing cost, "nobody there," entertainment, and employment problems all in one fell swoop.

No, it's to revert 50 years of airline deregulation and force carriers to actually have routes to all those midsized cities in the midwest / rust belt along with robust infrastructure programs to get businesses to actually relocate back / open up there so there's actually a reason to be anywhere outside the coasts.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
More info on the DOJ investigation into Cori Bush's use of congressional office money.

There's no charges yet, and there may not end up being any, but they have opened an investigation.

The issues they are investigating seem to be:

- Members of congress are not allowed to pay family members to work in their office.

- However, they can technically pay family members to work for their campaign if they charge at or below market rate and provide bona fide services.

- Cori Bush married a member of her security detail that was being paid with congressional funds.

- She kept him on the payroll, but moved him from her official office staff to her "campaign staff" and he kept providing security.

- She says she kept him on “because he has had extensive experience in this area, and is able to provide the necessary services at or below a fair market rate.”

- Her campaign has spent $756,748.42 on security and some of that was paid directly to her now husband.

- Two conservative political groups have filed complaints that she was using public funds to pay her now husband for security services for a period and then switched over to using campaign funds, but paid him at an above market rate.

https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/1752398419820175384

quote:

WASHINGTON — Rep. Cori Bush, D-Mo., is being investigated by the Justice Department for her campaign's spending on security services, she confirmed in a statement Tuesday.

“We are fully cooperating in this investigation,” Bush said, denying any wrongdoing.

As a former Black Lives Matter organizer and high-profile progressive on Capitol Hill, Bush has faced what she called “relentless threats to my physical safety and life” since her election in 2020.

"As a rank-and-file member of Congress I am not entitled to personal protection by the House, and instead have used campaign funds as permissible to retain security services," Bush continued in her statement. "I have not used any federal tax dollars for personal security services. Any reporting that I have used federal funds for personal security is simply false."

The Justice Department didn't immediately respond to a request for comment.

DOJ had recently issued a grand jury subpoena to the House sergeant at arms for documents, a development that was made public on the House floor on Monday. But the focus of the federal probe was not revealed at that time.

Two sources confirmed Monday night that DOJ was probing a Democratic lawmaker's use of security funds, but the member remained unidentified. PunchBowl News first reported Tuesday that Bush, who represents St. Louis, is the Democrat under investigation.

Bush, who ousted longtime Rep. Lacy Clay in the 2020 Democratic primary, came under scrutiny last February when she married her security guard, Cortney Merritts, then kept him on her campaign payroll for providing security services, according to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.

Conservative watchdog groups filed at least two complaints against Bush with the Federal Election Commission. While federal law bars lawmakers from paying family members to work in their official offices, they are allowed to pay relatives for campaign work so long as “the family member is providing bona fide services to the campaign.” However, payments "in excess of fair market value" are prohibited, the law states.

Bush, in her statement Tuesday, acknowledged that she retained her husband as part of her security team “because he has had extensive experience in this area, and is able to provide the necessary services at or below a fair market rate.”

An NBC News review of Bush's campaign expenditures found that she has spent $756,748.42 on security since her first run for Congress in the 2018 cycle.

The congresswoman accused "right-wing" opponents of lodging "baseless complaints against me," and noted that the independent Office of Congressional Ethics had investigated the matter and unanimously voted to dismiss it. However, the bipartisan House Ethics Committee has not closed the case.

“I am under no illusion that these right-wing organizations will stop politicizing and pursuing efforts to attack me and the work that the people of St. Louis sent me to Congress to do: to lead boldly, to legislate change my constituents can feel, and to save lives," Bush said.

The clerk publicly informed lawmakers of the subpoena request when the House opened its session Monday, but few details were provided.

“This is to notify you formally pursuant to rule 8 of the rules of the House of Representatives that the office of the sergeant at arms for the House of Representatives has been served with a grand jury subpoena for documents issued by the U.S. Department of Justice,” House Reading Clerk Susan Cole said, reading a notification from House Sergeant at Arms William McFarland.

“After consulting with the House General Counsel I have determined that compliance with the subpoena is consistent with the rights and privileges of the House,” McFarland's statement, read by Cole, continued.

Representatives of both Republican and Democratic leaders in the House declined to comment.

Asked about Bush at a leadership news conference, House Democratic Caucus Chair Pete Aguilar, D-Calif., said Tuesday he had no comment and called it "something for the Justice Department."

"I haven't talked to her," Aguilar said.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jan 30, 2024

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

mobby_6kl posted:

This is apparently Homewood, PA:

Although it doesn't seem to be completely run down, not sure what I'd do there other than commute to... Beaver Falls?

Yeah it's the same everywhere, housing is cheap in the middle of nowhere where nobody wants to live because there's nothing to do (both work and like for fun) but the top cities are skyrocketing

That list is of neighborhoods, not towns. Between that and the fact that it's in Allegheny County, the right Homewood is probably this one on the edge of Pittsburgh:

So not quite in the middle of nowhere. Why's it so cheap, then?

The population is 99% black, and the neighborhood is known for extremely high levels of poverty and crime compared to the rest of the city. It's a classic tale of urban blight: the city bulldozed thousands of homes in a nearby black neighborhood to build an arena, and so thousands of displaced poor black people moved into the Homewood neighborhood, which caused rapid white flight, which along with other factors led to an economic decline that caused well-off black people to leave too. The rapid decline led to the rise of gang violence, drug dealing, and other crime and public safety issues, and in short order the only people who still lived there were the ones who simply couldn't afford to leave. The neighborhood's population dropped from about 35,000 in 1950 to a bit over 9,000 in 2000.

With a population decline like that, no surprise that it's a place with no shortage of empty houses and boarded-up commercial properties. I dropped the streetview marker on a completely random street and found over a dozen clearly abandoned and untended homes just from going up and down that one street.

Doesn't really look like a place where housing is in demand. It's not wonder you can scoop up homes like these for cheap (though you might have to pay a fair bit to render them liveable!). And these aren't even the worst of them! There's some homes further down the road whose yards are so overgrown that you can barely even see the house - just some concrete steps poking out beneath a bush and some glimpses of boarded-up windows through gaps between tree branches. There's some side streets where it looks like nature has reclaimed half the houses - these aren't places that have been sitting empty for just a year or two.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

More info on the DOJ investigation into Cori Bush's use of congressional office money.

There's no charges yet, and there may not end up being any, but they have opened an investigation.

The issues they are investigating seem to be:

- Members of congress are not allowed to pay family members to work in their office.

- However, they can technically pay family members to work for their campaign if they charge at or below market rate and provide bona fide services.

- Cori Bush married a member of her security detail that was being paid with congressional funds.

- She kept him on the payroll, but moved him from her official office staff to her "campaign staff" and he kept providing security.

- She says she kept him on “because he has had extensive experience in this area, and is able to provide the necessary services at or below a fair market rate.”

- Her campaign has spent $756,748.42 on security and about some of that was paid directly to her now husband.

- Two conservative political groups have filed complaints that she was using public funds to pay her now husband for security services for a period and then switched over to using campaign funds, but paid him at an above market rate.

https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/1752398419820175384

How long a period did he receive that 75k because that for a year in DC for being security doesn't really seem that high.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I like how that map screenshot has both "Humane Animal Shelter of Pittsburgh" and "Teacup puppies for sale"

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

socialsecurity posted:

How long a period did he receive that 75k because that for a year in DC for being security doesn't really seem that high.

It looks like he was paid between $63k and $77k per year from 2021 through 2023.

Another part of the complaint alleges that he is not providing bona fide services because she also employs a private security firm alongside her husband and her husband doesn't appear to have a license for acting as private security.

quote:

Both its complaint and the second one make note that Merritts does not appear to have a private security guard license in either Washington or Missouri.

The complaint also questions the propriety of Merritts being employed for security services at the same time Bush also employs Peace Security, a St. Louis firm that has been paid more than $305,000 in the last 18 months.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jan 30, 2024

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Good to see the Biden campaign going all-out to rescue their tanking Muslim voter outreach

https://twitter.com/npl_palestine/status/1752371248473186670?t=7JBTtwi1njQg2HdYj9oE_g&s=19

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

haveblue posted:

I like how that map screenshot has both "Humane Animal Shelter of Pittsburgh" and "Teacup puppies for sale"

I think it's a good trend; animal shelters are usually always running out of space. Not if you can fit a kennel in a cupboard!

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

Main Paineframe posted:

Doesn't really look like a place where housing is in demand. It's not wonder you can scoop up homes like these for cheap (though you might have to pay a fair bit to render them liveable!). And these aren't even the worst of them! There's some homes further down the road whose yards are so overgrown that you can barely even see the house - just some concrete steps poking out beneath a bush and some glimpses of boarded-up windows through gaps between tree branches. There's some side streets where it looks like nature has reclaimed half the houses - these aren't places that have been sitting empty for just a year or two.

I'm sorry, I was told America is Full. Clearly this is another Democratic psy-op, to entice illegals to invade and steal our jobs. We may yet see a taco truck on every corner. :argh:

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Come to Pittsburgh or any other city outside of the like three that matter in this whole country and half-rear end it. Enjoy having fewer amenities, the food never being quite as good, and knowing that things are better somewhere else. You can afford to live here, but you'll complain about it constantly until you finally accept it and settle.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Failed Imagineer posted:

Good to see the Biden campaign going all-out to rescue their tanking Muslim voter outreach

https://twitter.com/npl_palestine/status/1752371248473186670?t=7JBTtwi1njQg2HdYj9oE_g&s=19

The cruelty smugness is the point

poop chute
Nov 16, 2023

by Athanatos

KillHour posted:

I'm from Fulton and this is actually unironically true. When the hot dog truck shuts down for winter people starve.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Star Man posted:

Come to Pittsburgh or any other city outside of the like three that matter in this whole country and half-rear end it. Enjoy having fewer amenities, the food never being quite as good, and knowing that things are better somewhere else. You can afford to live here, but you'll complain about it constantly until you finally accept it and settle.

This is something that people from really big cities say all the time and it's just not true. I've been to more than 30 states, and I can assure you that the "best" food in the country is not in NYC or SF or LA.

There are a hell of a lot more cities that matter than just three, and you're missing out on a hell of a lot of regional culture and diversity by dismissing that.

poop chute posted:

I'm from Fulton and this is actually unironically true. When the hot dog truck shuts down for winter people starve.

But think of how close you get to be to Hamilton! I'm so sorry oh God :ohdear:

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Star Man posted:

Controversial Opinion: Most people's day-to-day lives (besides weather) would be at least 85% identical at 60% the price if they lived in Pittsburgh instead of Palo Alto.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe
So Cori Bush started a relationship with a subordinate, married him, and put him on the nepo payroll (according to allegations)? Amazing lol.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Controversial Opinion: Most people's day-to-day lives (besides weather) would be at least 85% identical at 60% the price if they lived in Pittsburgh instead of Palo Alto.
Same, but for eating dog food and with even greater savings.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

ummel posted:

So Cori Bush started a relationship with a subordinate, married him, and put him on the nepo payroll (according to allegations)? Amazing lol.

The nepo payroll might not technically be illegal and he was doing security before she married him, so it may not be an actual crime.

Still, it's not a great look.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
The people who make the best food also can't afford to live in these places people claim make the best food

selec
Sep 6, 2003

ummel posted:

You've got to know who you can trust, and keep them close.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

The nepo payroll might not technically be illegal and he was doing security before she married him, so it may not be an actual crime.

Still, it's not a great look.

$77k a year? Who cares? Tough to give a poo poo when Trump hires his own daughter and son in law.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

reignonyourparade posted:

The people who make the best food also can't afford to live in these places people claim make the best food

This is the most objectively true thing in the thread. You know what is in Victorville, California? Nothing. It's the middle of nowhere. There's a prison. There's also a Mexican restaurant run by a little old lady who called me Mijo and made me the best goddamn chilaquiles in the world.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

ummel posted:

If what was posted earlier is accurate, he was on payroll before their relationship status update and she failed to push him far enough away on the org chart to keep it legal

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

KillHour posted:

This is the most objectively true thing in the thread. You know what is in Victorville, California? Nothing. It's the middle of nowhere. There's a prison. There's also a Mexican restaurant run by a little old lady who called me Mijo and made me the best goddamn chilaquiles in the world.

That's also why the best barbecue is from places so rural the only fun thing to do is spend a whole goddam weekend cooking a whole rear end pig in a pit you dug yourself with firewood you cut yourself

More importantly the best food is regional cuisine from a specific region with a culture and history. Which almost definitionally is not the big city melting pots.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
I think Alton Brown said that once a place gets the rep for having good thing, they stop trying.

oh and then tourists come because they heard they had good thing and there's a decent chance that culinary gentrification happens because a certain type white person said it was tooo spicy or ethnic so they dumbed it down for those well paying demographics.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

That's also why the best barbecue is from places so rural the only fun thing to do is spend a whole goddam weekend cooking a whole rear end pig in a pit you dug yourself with firewood you cut yourself

More importantly the best food is regional cuisine from a specific region with a culture and history. Which almost definitionally is not the big city melting pots.

There's something to be said about big cities drawing lots of chefs to them just like every other industry, and haute Micheline cuisine can be very, very good. But the best authentic traditional cuisine is usually in the middle of bumfuck nowhere, yeah.

PhazonLink posted:

I think Alton Brown said that once a place gets the rep for having good thing, they stop trying.

oh and then tourists come because they heard they had good thing and there's a decent chance that culinary gentrification happens because a certain type white person said it was tooo spicy or ethnic so they dumbed it down for those well paying demographics.

Alton Brown badmouthed Buffalo's wings and then proceeded to make his own in the oven, so even though he's generally correct, I will never forgive him or hand it to him. :argh:

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 8 minutes!
Oh we food derailin'?

I've heard it said that Korean cuisine is the least compromised here in LA.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Weather is a massive factor in people's day-to-day lives and is only getting more significant in the near-to-distant future, for obvious reasons.

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Maybe you thought I was the Packard Goose?

Failed Imagineer posted:

Christ, is that even legal? Guess Biden really is going with the "we don't need any Arab/Muslim/under-30 votes!" strategy.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Rebel Blob posted:

Same, but for eating dog food and with even greater savings.

My experience is that dog food is not 85% as tasty as the best food in the world, but I have perhaps not been exposed to the right dog food.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Jaxyon posted:

Oh we food derailin'?

I've heard it said that Korean cuisine is the least compromised here in LA.

My town used to have exactly one good Korean restaurant and it was literally a Korean War vet and his Korean wife and kids and it was amazing and very local with a lot of personality. One time the owner literally threw a dude I knew out of the place (he deserved it, at least on general principles).

They retired and closed the place and so we didn't have any Korean food during the pandemic.

Recently we've had like three different new Korean places open up. They're all owned by the same people just very precisely aimed at three different price points. They're all good and professional and I got lunch at one of them recently and it came out on a plate perfect ready for Instagram . . . .but something was lost in translation.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

haveblue posted:

If what was posted earlier is accurate, he was on payroll before their relationship status update and she failed to push him far enough away on the org chart to keep it legal

The (potential) issues aren't about his position on the org chart. She is allowed to employ her family and pay them with campaign funds under certain scenarios.

The potentially illegal things are:

- She paid him partially with public funds and not campaign funds at some point (alleged in the complaint, but we don't know)

and

- He was not providing bona fide services or services at or below market rate.

The second one is the part that seems especially iffy. Since he was still employed as security after they were married despite her also hiring an entire private security company along with her husband and her husband apparently not having any license for private security.

If you are hired directly by the person you are providing security for, then you don't technically need a license, but that sort of raises the question of why they were hired in the first place and alongside another private security company.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
oh thats another thing ruining the world, social media and instagram-able food.

drat those kids

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 8 minutes!

The (potential) issues aren't about his position on the org chart. She is allowed to employ her family and pay them with campaign funds under certain scenarios.

The potentially illegal things are:

- She paid him partially with public funds and not campaign funds at some point (alleged in the complaint, but we don't know)

and

- He was not providing bona fide services or services at or below market rate.

The second one is the part that seems especially iffy. Since he was still employed as security after they were married despite her also hiring an entire private security company along with her husband and her husband apparently not having any license for private security.

If you are hired directly by the person you are providing security for, then you don't technically need a license, but that sort of raises the question of why they were hired in the first place and alongside another private security company.

Going by the fact it's a Squad member, I'd imagine the "did she actually do wrong" part is secondary to "lets repeatedly say she did"