Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Dale's Dead-Xeno

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Dale? That is brother Rustium Shacklefordex

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

rocket sand!

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

hard counter posted:

rocket sand!

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
Damsel Thatcher?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
I guess fingerprints in chunky paint is one way to add texture to fabric.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I wanna know how she got those scars

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
jesus, tag that :nsfl:

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Were the nips really necessary.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Were the nips really necessary.

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe
https://i.imgur.com/tCeFyWl.mp4

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

I'll admit this is what it often comes down to when you have to paint like 80 of the little bastards for your toy armies if you're not super into the painting part of the hobby.

I'm guessing people with numerous ork/gaunt armies just dip the whole model upside down in the paint pot and go from there lol.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
At least it's highlighted

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Panfilo posted:

I'll admit this is what it often comes down to when you have to paint like 80 of the little bastards for your toy armies if you're not super into the painting part of the hobby.

I'm guessing people with numerous ork/gaunt armies just dip the whole model upside down in the paint pot and go from there lol.

I'm pretty sure that dipping strategy is the origin story for Army Painter.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
You think that after the first batch of blob monsters people would think to thin the paints they're using for dipping

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

Aren’t the new citadel paints basically a variation on dip painting?

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

Scratch Monkey posted:

Aren’t the new citadel paints basically a variation on dip painting?

the true superior technique is dick painting, but the loving cowards at gw are not ready for my genius

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

This is so weird, like painting transparent/wet cloth over skin is quite an advanced technique (at least to me) and a lot of the technique is there, like it would look quite good. But then the paint is quite thick and chunky? It's an unusual combination of skill and ineptitude.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
The paint doesn't look chunky, the model just looks bad and blobby. Like those kobolds from the other thread

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
It looks to me like the primer fuzzed and they just rolled with it

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I'd feel bad about making fun of it because it's mostly just a fairly bad paintjob, but then you get to the lovingly painted areolae and it it tips over into skeevy

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!

Spanish Manlove posted:

The paint doesn't look chunky, the model just looks bad and blobby. Like those kobolds from the other thread
I've had those damned things on price watch since that thread, and they aren't going on clearance sale nor getting cheaper. If I can I can get their price below $4ea (current best is $8 each due to quantity per pack), I swear to thread I will run a competition and mail them out to people for free.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Panfilo posted:

There was a local guy that got a 2000 point all metal High Elf army back in the day and opened up 2 cans of house paint (red and blue) and dipped the top half of each model in one and the bottom in the other. This was after the local shop mandated a "no unpainted armies" rule.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

EdsTeioh posted:

This was after the local shop mandated a "no unpainted armies" rule.
I would like to hear more about how that played out, and perhaps what drove it.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

EdsTeioh posted:

There was a local guy that got a 2000 point all metal High Elf army back in the day and opened up 2 cans of house paint (red and blue) and dipped the top half of each model in one and the bottom in the other. This was after the local shop mandated a "no unpainted armies" rule.

I mean that's just depressing. Like it's fine if you don't enjoy painting, presumably if you pay X for an army, then you can just pay someone else Y to spray prime and wash the whole lot, maybe pick out a few details. And usually Y will be less than X. Why do something which is going to make almost every person you play with raise their eyebrows in disgust?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Some people don't care about aesthetics and I believe them to be morons.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

smug jeebus posted:

It looks to me like the primer fuzzed and they just rolled with it

I think the person might also have tried hand brushing the primer on.

It's resin so it'd be a real pain to strip if there was a primer problem.

Their translucent cloth technique is actually pretty decent - they certainly know where to place their colours but the blending and finesse on the face could do with some work.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

the minis are like 90% of the point of playing Warhammer. There are much better games that just use paper tokens. If you don't want to paint, play those.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Do not look for logic in what games other people play, or how.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I'd feel bad about making fun of it because it's mostly just a fairly bad paintjob, but then you get to the lovingly painted areolae and it it tips over into skeevy

i absolutely never make fun of anyone's painting ability

unless they paint horny, then the gloves come off. wait that doesn't sound right

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Slyphic posted:

I would like to hear more about how that played out, and perhaps what drove it.

TBH I'm not 100% sure. I don't talk to the guy that actually did it anymore (on account of him being a chud) and I don't talk to the guy that actually relayed that story (on account of him being dead). I *think* basically the deal was that the owner was a trust fund guy that ended up using that money to open a shop as a way to try to get an in with GW. This was like 1994-5 or so I guess? Pretty sure the deal was that he wanted his place to be this sort of picturesque hub of gaming that he could show off to GW so wanted everything to be painted to a high standard for pics and such to show off to them. He DID end up closing his shop and going to work for GW within a couple of years, but I'm not sure in what capacity or what he's doing now. My friend and former roommate (the guy that passed away) is the guy that sold that army to him and he was PISSED about it. I'm reaching out to another friend now to see if I can get any other specifics about local shops around that time. I'll try to edit out the parts about prostitutes and child trafficking.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

IMO yeah go ahead and dip your dudes in housepaint out of spite if you're mad at the shop for demanding all your guys be painted. I can appreciate a good spite house, spite fence, and spite warhammer army. I'd rather police behavior at the table like whether you're a jerk, try to cheat, show up for your game on time, smell awful, or are not-so-secretly a nazi enthusiast. Whether/how-well you painted your army sorta matters for MY IMMERSION I guess, but it's like 14th down on the list of reasons I want or don't want to play with you, somewhere behind "doesn't roll dice properly so it looks like they barely tip out of your hand and it sorta looks like you are intentionally trying to cheat even though you're not doing it very well" and maybe just ahead of "looks at your phone every 30 seconds, ok it's not your turn right now but still."

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

C'Tan Shard of the Flayer

https://www.instagram.com/the_warsinger

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

This loving owns, I think this belongs in the kitbash thread and not Unspiration tbh

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Just pretend you don't know what the clear gooey stuff on it is.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

AndyElusive posted:

Just pretend you don't know what the clear gooey stuff on it is.

Hot glue? :dafuq:

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Pony Jar Resin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

That's one phrase for it yes