Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
Bij and Jamaharon are two sides of the same horga'hn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Skipping through DS9 and got to the episode where Odo hooks up with the other changeling and they just bang each other for like 4 days straight.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Hollismason posted:

Skipping through DS9 and got to the episode where Odo hooks up with the other changeling and they just bang each other for like 4 days straight.

The first or second changeling he bangs for 4 days straight?

Both flaunted in front of the major.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Grey Cat posted:

The first or second changeling he bangs for 4 days straight?

Both flaunted in front of the major.

My favorite changeling is that total loving weirdo they found flying around in space who discovers the link with Odo and whats to get down on the promenade. That dude is dead though because Odo infected him.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
How many times has Trek repeated an episode/core idea of an episode across the different series?

I'm sporadically going through episodes across the different series here and there, and I noticed the Voyager episode "Scientific Method" is very similar to the TNG ep "Schisms", minus the metal table.

Aliens that are out of phase/from another dimension running random experiments on the crew without them knowing.

Then there's the ENT episode "Doctor's Orders" that's practically beat for beat the same as VOY "One," where in both just the ships doctor and resident cat-suited sexy, yet emotionless and logical, woman are left to command the ship through dangerous regions of space while the rest are in stasis.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

DrBouvenstein posted:

How many times has Trek repeated an episode/core idea of an episode across the different series?

I'm sporadically going through episodes across the different series here and there, and I noticed the Voyager episode "Scientific Method" is very similar to the TNG ep "Schisms", minus the metal table.

Aliens that are out of phase/from another dimension running random experiments on the crew without them knowing.

Then there's the ENT episode "Doctor's Orders" that's practically beat for beat the same as VOY "One," where in both just the ships doctor and resident cat-suited sexy, yet emotionless and logical, woman are left to command the ship through dangerous regions of space while the rest are in stasis.

Voyager repeats a shitload of TNG episodes and DS9 Episodes almost beat for beat.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

counterfeitsaint posted:

I think the terrorists got tired of making it rain and decided instead to destroy the planet by reversing the polarity on the tectonic earthquake blockers or something. Then Worf punched them in the face and took back his sonic screwdriver from them so they couldn't mess with stuff anymore.

So what actually happened is the terrorists were ecoterrorists

They were like "risa used to have fuckoff storms and poo poo. We're gonna turn off / turn up the weather generators".

So they did that and nobody is used to that so everyone is having a bad time, and Worf decides to join them because he's pissed at everyone being so sexually promiscuous on Risa and wants to piss on everyone's fun.

MikeJF posted:

It was a space dog, who says it can't fly.

Yeah I remember watching the show and i just put it down to alien dogs being able to jump like crickets when you aren't watching. Like, to be clear, it isn't a "dog". It's an alien creature that looks like, and seems to serve a similar purpose in the society, as a dog.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Nigmaetcetera posted:

Bij and Jamaharon are two sides of the same horga'hn.

Which rule of acquisition is this one

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

alexandriao posted:

So what actually happened is the terrorists were ecoterrorists

They were like "risa used to have fuckoff storms and poo poo. We're gonna turn off / turn up the weather generators".

So they did that and nobody is used to that so everyone is having a bad time, and Worf decides to join them because he's pissed at everyone being so sexually promiscuous on Risa and wants to piss on everyone's fun.

Unless theres a second worf on risa episode, it was space puritanicals that didnt like risa being the sex world and how loose starfleet was with things

They decided that loving with risa was a good show of their platform

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

Rule of acquisition 98

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

They were also upset with how soft and vulnerable the federation was. That nobody had to deal with challenges anymore and they were an easy target for enemies.

Basically if someone based a Star Trek villain on the Dad from Calvin and Hobbes.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

DrBouvenstein posted:

Infinity times.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Grey Cat posted:

Rule of acquisition 98

that one’s forbidden

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

DrBouvenstein posted:

Voyager repeated core ideas from its own episodes at least twice off the top of my head.

Night and The Void.

The Killing Game and Workforce.

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

The very first two regular episodes of Voyager (after the pilot) both have the same time travel causality plot.

Parallax and Time and Again

First of May fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Jan 30, 2024

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Combs acts the hell out of the ferengi fake teeth

e:

https://twitter.com/concreteangel16/status/1751960645593965019

Regular Wario fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Jan 30, 2024

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr
I just this fucker as Weyoun in DS9, no wonder I was freaked out

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

№ 69

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Voyager repeated core ideas from its own episodes at least twice off the top of my head.

Night and The Void.

The Killing Game and Workforce.

Yeah I didn’t realize that Night and The Void were different episodes until years later because they had merged in my mind. Like when the one aired I thought it was a rerun of the other.

The other two are easier to keep separate because only one has Nazis.

Oh also there’s Darkling and Latent Image, both “The Doctor freaks the gently caress out because he messes with his program” episodes.

And aren’t there two different “Harry sticks it somewhere he shouldn’t” episodes, too?

naem
May 29, 2011

:stare:

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

:lol:

That irritated smirk thing he does is without peer

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Combs most under rated role is as Brunt.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

All this does is emphasis how Jeffrey Combs would have made a great Data if Spiner wasn't available.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Big rear end On Fire posted:

:lol:

That irritated smirk thing he does is without peer

He's been working on it his entire life

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

TrashMammal posted:

that one’s forbidden

Nonsense, it's in the pale moonlight.

"every man has his price"

Sorry about your book being broken.

Grey Cat fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jan 30, 2024

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

Scratch Monkey posted:

He's been working on it his entire life

I thought of this movie too. He does this pursed lips thing I couldn't find a great pic of. Closest thing was this

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

Some fun TNG behind the scenes photos

https://imgur.com/gallery/CMgsCIy

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Apollodorus posted:

Yeah I didn’t realize that Night and The Void were different episodes until years later because they had merged in my mind. Like when the one aired I thought it was a rerun of the other.

I don't really see how those two are the same beyond some superficial similarities. They both take place in a weird part of space and they both involve aliens local to that space who are treated poorly by others, and end up helping voyager escape.

But thematically they're different. The Night has a lot to do with Janeway's guilt over the crew being in the delta quadrant. The Void is more about building home again wherever they are.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Scratch Monkey posted:

gently caress you, I'm gonna touch it.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

CainFortea posted:

I don't really see how those two are the same beyond some superficial similarities. They both take place in a weird part of space and they both involve aliens local to that space who are treated poorly by others, and end up helping voyager escape.

But thematically they're different. The Night has a lot to do with Janeway's guilt over the crew being in the delta quadrant. The Void is more about building home again wherever they are.

The Void is The Time Trap except live action

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Scratch Monkey posted:

LMAO

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Scratch Monkey posted:

Though Gates McFadden on a unicycle has always taken up a disproportionate amount of mental real estate (not in any sort of crush/sexual way, just that it's so incongruous), the real winners in the portfolio (for my money) are the ones hinting at how they did SFX in the days before CGI. Even though I'm an old fart and grew up on ((e.g.) the original trilogy of Star Wars and ST:TMP in theaters, I sometimes forget that people used to have to be creative in getting these visuals on screen, rather than having Victoria Alonso (or whomever; she's just the most high-profile example) show up at the FX house with a bullwhip and lash the drones until they get the effects shots finished.

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

yeah that physical effect in a fish tank looking thing of sand or the atmosphere or whatever is fascinating

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

DrBouvenstein posted:

ENT has a "last two people from a planet locked in eternal war" episode just like TOS

VOY has a "does a technological being have rights?" episode just like TNG

There's a lot more but those two seemed the most egregious to me.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Scratch Monkey posted:

The effects shot tech is interesting, yeah

Weird energy in this one

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

I've read the cast worked so hard on TNG, really long days and stuff. Basically busted their asses. And seeing some of those pics made me think about how the actors whose characters required minimal prosthetics and makeup must have been thanking the gods after seeing what Spiner and Dorn went through for hours on hours. Sure the uniforms didn't fit well and many of them had other gripes but imagine having that stuff on your face for 12 hours or whatever.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

I feel like I've heard Armin Shimerman say that some of the walk-on Ferengi had near-panic attacks under that much poo poo for so long and he would help talk them through it

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Big rear end On Fire posted:

I've read the cast worked so hard on TNG, really long days and stuff. Basically busted their asses. And seeing some of those pics made me think about how the actors whose characters required minimal prosthetics and makeup must have been thanking the gods after seeing what Spiner and Dorn went through for hours on hours. Sure the uniforms didn't fit well and many of them had other gripes but imagine having that stuff on your face for 12 hours or whatever.

Indeed. The occupation of actor seems like such a dream, and it can be I'm sure, but those folks working 23 episode seasons really had to put in long, intense hours. And yeah, the folks in heavy makeup and prosthetics? I hope at least they can sorta sleep sitting in that chair for hours a day.

And this goes for any and all shows that air alot. Like, Soap Opera folks must just grind all the time. And of course everyone behind the camera.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Squiggle posted:

I feel like I've heard Armin Shimerman say that some of the walk-on Ferengi had near-panic attacks under that much poo poo for so long and he would help talk them through it

I remember reading that Nana Visitor had a hard time with the Cardassian makeup for that one episode. Like claustrophobia attacks and they had to take frequent breaks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

Trek Fact: Terry Farrell has really sensitive skin.