Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Can't wait for them to find out they are completely incompatible with something like flying or having an MRI scan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

how long until you can use the neuralink to play doom irl

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The true believers in that tech see it being used to create augmented reality in the future, which presumably means that anybody with one of the implants becomes ineligible to give witness statements.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Thanks Ants posted:

Can't wait for them to find out they are completely incompatible with something like flying or having an MRI scan

And it'll just be bricked by a shoddy software update in a few months anyway.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Can't wait to mine bitcoin with my brain

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Im gonna telnet that neural link

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Dandywalken posted:

Im gonna telnet that neural link

Countdown to the first person to rm -rf / their own brain using Musktech

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

You kidding? it's gonna rain and fucker will electrocute you.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

GreenNight posted:

You kidding? it's gonna rain and fucker will electrocute you.

That's what happened in Bored of the Rings

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
When I said I wanted to be able to autopilot through my work day, this isn't what I meant

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

They're going to announce a feature where you can control a Tesla from your Neuralink and it will be called Back-seat Driver.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I thought with how amazing it is that Musk would be first in line.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
https://youtu.be/kOR448RUThc

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Did someone say brain implant?

pofcorn
May 30, 2011
Can't wait to use my brain implant to shitpost 24/7

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Buzzing away in my skull, my Buffalo MyThoughts Brain Implant suddenly grinds to a halt. Its internal storage has hit 98%.

Sitting at the conference table, presenting to stakeholders, my face twists into an indescribable mask of agony and I slide comically out of my chair and crumple lifelessly on the floor.

At the congressional hearing, the inventor of the brain implant is asked how this could have happened to me and to so many others.

CE leans into the mic and says "that's none of your business"

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

A Frosty Witch posted:

Buzzing away in my skull, my Buffalo MyThoughts Brain Implant suddenly grinds to a halt. Its internal storage has hit 98%.

Sitting at the conference table, presenting to stakeholders, my face twists into an indescribable mask of agony and I slide comically out of my chair and crumple lifelessly on the floor.

At the congressional hearing, the inventor of the brain implant is asked how this could have happened to me and to so many others.

hearty lol

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

A Frosty Witch posted:

lmao

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

A Frosty Witch posted:

:golfclap:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

All those companies that make spyware to monitor remote workers' laptops are getting ideas. They'll be detecting poo poo breaks based on the neurons firing off that control the sphincter.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

All those companies that make spyware to monitor remote workers' laptops are getting ideas. They'll be detecting poo poo breaks based on the neurons firing off that control the sphincter.

joke's on them, my sphincter is uncontrollable :smug:

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Silly Newbie posted:

Wait, people still build devices with passive PoE? My story was from like 2005, I figured everyone would have figured out just sending the bit that has the power. Wild.
Ubiquiti still does for sure. Their prosumer/SMB "UniFi" line went all standards-based a few years ago, IIRC in the middle of the "AC" WAP and "G3" camera generations, but their network operator "UISP" line is almost exclusively passive. Not only that, but four different voltages (24, 27, 48, and 50) so you can't necessarily even mix and match gear on the same switch or injector.

Even the UniFi changeover was late to the party but they have released UISP-branded products in the last month which are exclusively 27v passive.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Thanks Ants posted:

Two words: unskippable ads.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Silly Newbie posted:

Wait, people still build devices with passive PoE? My story was from like 2005, I figured everyone would have figured out just sending the bit that has the power. Wild.
Re: cowboy engineer based wireless products, in that same early 2000s time period we did support for a customer who built and sold WRT-54g style home routers with a 1W antenna. They meant it for use on ranches or other places where you might need an acre of wireless coverage or whatever. Based out of Utah. It was great until someone put one in like a city apartment and set it to channel 6, just blanked out everyone in the rest of the building. I heard they got in trouble with the FCC because the wattage control was a physical dial on the board in the case and went over 1000mw if you turned it, but I was never able to corroborate it.

Something like this is still around for the same purpose, a purely 2.4ghz mesh, I remember having had to track info on it down to be sure it wasn't an interference source on 5ghz because the website wasn't giving any information on what band or bands it was able to use. Their support answered my email in a perfectly clear way though, so good on them I guess???

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

That's when you return to the office purely to poo poo at your desk.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Moved my office to the restroom and now I'm ungovernable. Take that Big Brother, now you'll never know if I'm making GBS threads on the clock, or just strength training my anus. We can beat them. We can fight back.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

mllaneza posted:

Our current "remodel a whole floor to the new standard" standard has the lights powered by PoE. I think that makes sense versus running that many more actual power runs, but my hat's off to whoever thought of it.

IDK about other places but where I am, you can generally have any old schmuck pull and terminate Cat6 whenever you like. Running solid copper for 110V requires a permit and an electrician. That alone would be a significant factor for me when considering a retrofit.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Thanks Ants posted:

"Groundbreaking study of implant metrics show over 95% of employees are not paying conscious attention during all-company meetings. Discoverers expect to win this year's Nobel Prize for the revelation. Also we have concluded that this is a flaw in those employees."

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Every time you nod off the implant zaps you

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Rorac posted:

So, any bets on what year/month some middle manager or C-level asks work IT to troubleshoot a neuralink?

I guess this would mean a technician could fry the brains of the C-suite. It's gonna be the future soon!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

klosterdev posted:

Every time you nod off the implant zaps you

Every 5 minutes it pops up an AI-generated quiz on the last 5 minutes of content

oh god I just manifested this it's too easy

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Data Graham posted:

Every 5 minutes it pops up an AI-generated quiz on the last 5 minutes of content

Stop creating the torment nexus!

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Data Graham posted:

Surely this is some bizarre tech form of torture for when the white room doesn't work.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

:psyduck:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

lol, absolutely not

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I always wanted an on prem subscription virtualized desktop.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

What the hell is this lol

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Building a rube goldberg deployment of licensed technologies and infrastructure investment as an alternative to having a PC on your desk

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

Building a rube goldberg deployment of licensed technologies and infrastructure investment as an alternative to having a PC on your desk

On prem DR for when Azure goes down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Aka Windows 12