Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

mcmagic posted:

As a Jewish guy it's actually refreshing to see actual anti semitism that isn't some 19 year old college kid saying "Free Palastine" so I'll give Whitlock credit for that.

It’s nice to have something to point at and say “no THIS is antisemitic” but also there’s never been a shortage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

e: eh, decided against it

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George

I saw this on a quote tweet from someone pointing out that in the early 2000s Whitlock had an article that said Serena Williams needed to lose 15-30 lbs, she was too fat to win a grand slam event. She had already won her first US Open at that point, and was about to win 3 of 4 (the one miss was Australia where she was out with injury) right after the article was published.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

pablo just lets it out about sports illustrated

https://twitter.com/PabloTorre/status/1748478228270915653

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

PotatoJudge posted:

I saw this on a quote tweet from someone pointing out that in the early 2000s Whitlock had an article that said Serena Williams needed to lose 15-30 lbs, she was too fat to win a grand slam event. She had already won her first US Open at that point, and was about to win 3 of 4 (the one miss was Australia where she was out with injury) right after the article was published.

The thing about Whitlock is that he HATES women. Like really hates them.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

As someone who isn't on Twitter anymore, I don't know how long that's been Pablo's name but it is loving phenomenal.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

FlamingLiberal posted:

Bizarro Bill Nye right there

I hit page down one time too many and as it quickly went by, I thought it WAS Bill Nye

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Bizarro Bill Nye right there

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Sports Illustrated is like Cinemax, in that nobody wants to see it go even though it's redundant in the internet age.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

CharlestheHammer posted:

I would like to know more about how sexual liberation is just mind control by another name

And why it just effected black people

I looked up the work of this guy so no one else has to:

quote:

Those who wished to liberate man from the moral order needed to impose social controls as soon as they succeeded because liberated libido led inevitably to anarchy. Over the course of two hundred years, those techniques became more and more refined, eventuating in a world where people were controlled, not by military force, but by the skillful management of their passions.

I think there are actually some interesting kernels in there that I'd like to see analyzed by people who aren't religious zealots or incels. As it stands in this context, it's intellectually dishonest pseudo-philosophy being used to justify Whitlock's belief that only a thoroughly corrupt, unfair society could keep a superior man like him from getting laid.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

the airhorn at the end killed me

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1748971850145694101

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

lol this one took me longer than I’d like to admit to get

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Lmao, nice work Schefter

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
When asked whether Deebo Samuel exists, my source said "no comment."

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Schefter here just burning sources smh

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

The question might have just been “do you think he has a chance to play” in which case that phrasing would make sense from anyone

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/nytimespr/status/1752347023183892670?s=46

pretty good get for them

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
Anybody getting in that space who isn't Darren Rovell can only be a positive thing.

Weebly
May 6, 2007

General Chaos wants you!
College Slice
Stephen A Smith would choose Charmander as his starting gen 1 Pokémon fyi

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Weebly posted:

Stephen A Smith would choose Charmander as his starting gen 1 Pokémon fyi

https://twitter.com/stephenasmith/status/1752455684107436212

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

This is weirdly sound reasoning

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

The Messenger is dead, as rumored a few weeks ago
https://x.com/maxwelltani/status/1752802385716478424?s=20

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
drat that sucks, hope Tanier finds somewhere else to hang his hat.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
They blanked the whole website already, apparently.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Yeah, Ryan Nanni already mentioned he’s looking for other projects (though not in awful shape because the Shutdown Fullcast cannot be killed by conventional weapons) but there’s plenty out there about just how abrupt this closing was. Just callous and bizarre.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Apparently the editor-in-chief wasn't even in the loop about the shutdown.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Good post-mortem here: https://defector.com/the-messenger-was-built-to-fail-and-did

Some highlights:

quote:

It's hard to escape the conclusion that The Messenger was engineered for failure. In its first months of operation—a period in which Finkelstein cannot reasonably have expected The Messenger to generate enough in advertising revenue to pay for anything approaching, let alone beyond, the normal operation of a very large digital newsroom—the company reportedly dumped something approaching a quarter of its startup capital on luxuries and frivolities. The Messenger seemed to have no sense of itself as a startup: At launch it had already opened offices in New York City, Washington D.C., and West Palm Beach, Florida. For its New York headquarters, the company leased 42,000 square feet of the 25th floor of a corner building in Manhattan's Financial District, home of some of the most expensive commercial real estate on the planet. Jordan Hoffman, who until The Messenger's shuttering worked as one of the site's senior entertainment writers, wrote for New York magazine Thursday that this glamorous skyscraper headquarters was usually "nine-tenths empty," featuring "rows and rows of spotless, expensive-looking desks" that sat mostly unoccupied. The New York Times reports that the company's three offices cost The Messenger more than $8 million in rent; Semafor reported that a leaked company balance sheet showed millions more in travel and entertainment expenses.

quote:

The site's writers were forced to churn out empty-calorie slop in a desperate game of SEO whack-a-mole because of Finkelstein's breathtakingly wrongheaded business model, which sought to generate $100 million in annual revenue from programmatic advertising. But programmatic advertising is no longer calibrated for human work or human traffic or primary income. It is now tuned to fire pennies at bot-run content filters for engaging in digital high-fives with search algorithms. A chumbox ad gaining an honest click from a reader of sound mind and body is roughly equivalent as an outcome to me sticking my tongue out in a snowstorm and having a fresh and whole pastrami on rye land inside my mouth: The ad is not there for humans any more than I am there for a well-made sandwich, but sometimes randomness delivers a happy outcome. The volume of traffic needed to deliver $100 million in programmatic ad income would be astronomical; it should surprise no one to learn that this model delivered to The Messenger an unambiguously non-whopping $3.8 million in revenue by the end of 2023, or less than half of what the company spent just on offices.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
I still can't believe that internet ads are considered a viable thing to do in any capacity.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Our economy is built on a strong foundation made of meundies and blue apron containers.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Lmfao

https://twitter.com/MikeTaddow/status/1753180256666587159

https://twitter.com/jemelehill/status/1753552801089917087

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
It’s almost as if the sports gambling market is way too prominent, too in our faces, and too predatory.

https://youtu.be/vDsLu0CWcgk?feature=shared

Baba Oh Really
May 21, 2005
Get 'ER done

Better let a naysayer know.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
It's too late, Austin Reaves got a fade and people were tweeting about it calling it the Kelce.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

soggybagel posted:

It’s almost as if the sports gambling market is way too prominent, too in our faces, and too predatory.

https://youtu.be/vDsLu0CWcgk?feature=shared

There’s a giant ESPNBET widget below every score on ESPN’s mobile site now, very cool

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

General Dog posted:

There’s a giant ESPNBET widget below every score on ESPN’s mobile site now, very cool

I noticed that. It’s very prominent.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I wish they could figure out how to throttle gambling ads to death like they did to liquor and cigarettes

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
They’re even showing them during the puppy bowl! Is nothing sacred?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Schremp Howard posted:

They’re even showing them during the puppy bowl! Is nothing sacred?

Lost my house betting on the puppy bowl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Sash! posted:

I wish they could figure out how to throttle gambling ads to death like they did to liquor and cigarettes

It's coming.