Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
I have no doubt that they have a plan to bring the heroes back eventually, I just kind of doubt this game will survive long enough to get to that plot point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

It's crazy that multiple people leaked the entire game's plot in great detail yet no one mentioned the part where Captain Boomerang pees on the Flash's corpse while the rest of the squad comments on how large his penis is.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Aren't you all supposed to be long term comic book fans? How are we having this conversation about how/if people can come back from the dead? Is this game supposed to be Pre-Doomsday or something? It's bonded to the Arkham-verse at the at the sub atomic level so we all know that Lazarus Pits exist.

Most of my knowledge of superheroes comes from games, cartoons and movies so aside from people like Halo or Solomon Grundy who just kinda self revive, I don't know any way other ways people get back up.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jan 30, 2024

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Codependent Poster posted:

So they bring back everyone then you get to play as Superman and Batman... with guns.

They have that, it's called Fortnite.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

Aren't you all supposed to be long term comic book fans? How are we having this conversation about how/if people can come back from the dead? Is this game supposed to be Pre-Doomsday or something? It's bonded to the Arkham-verse at the at the sub atomic level so we all know that Lazarus Pits exist.

Most of my knowledge of superheroes comes from games, cartoons and movies so aside from people like Halo or Solomon Grundy who just kinda self revive, I don't know any way other ways people get back up.

Video games/movies/etc tend to avoid the endless revivals. Everyone who died in Arkham stayed dead for reals. (Joker hallucinations aside.)

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Not Batgirl

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TwoPair posted:

They have that, it's called Fortnite.

I mean to be honest "Superman died but came back weaker and has to use guns" is literally comic canon.

I feel like "obviously fear gas hallucinations don't count" is already included.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

RareAcumen posted:

Yes, although as a comic book fan I also know to be wary about using Lazarus Pits for resurrections.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

JordanKai posted:

It's crazy that multiple people leaked the entire game's plot in great detail yet no one mentioned the part where Captain Boomerang pees on the Flash's corpse while the rest of the squad comments on how large his penis is.

turning a big dial that says "Not your daddy's superhero game" on it and constantly looking back at the audience for approval like a contestant on the price is right

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Video games/movies/etc tend to avoid the endless revivals. Everyone who died in Arkham stayed dead for reals. (Joker hallucinations aside.)

Body doubles and clones aside I can't think of many long-running western game villains that consistently return. All that comes to mind is Handsome Jack and Shao Khan. But with how many different types of magic and gods are in that setting the rules are way looser. Maybe The Shredder counts too but I'm not very familiar with TMNT.

They're definitely not like Bowser constantly being dropped into lava and coming back for round 4, 5, 6, 7 and falling for it again. Or Ganondorf and Dracula coming back for another round of 'how will I be stabbed this time?'

Lobok posted:

Yes, although as a comic book fan I also know to be wary about using Lazarus Pits for resurrections.

I mean it's always bad to use but between dead and buried and Pet Cemetery revived you might have to go for the latter if you really need a wizard or priest right now or something. Someone probably doesn't even get any negative effects thanks to being the right type of alien or magic anyway.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
The ending explains why they can bring the characters back anyway without any clones/fantasy stories/violating the title of the game.

srypher
Jun 3, 2011

Really?
I’m enjoying this a lot more than I thought I would. Traversal feels really good as boomerang, the combat feels pretty zippy, and it feels extremely polished for a game like this. No major bugs and things just feel kinda smooth.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Lol

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 15 days!)

i think the gameplay is dumb, but the cutscenes I think look great

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Apparently, Crisis on Infinite Earths Part 3 and Multiversus will have new Kevin Conroy Batman lines so this is at least not his big sendoff.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Waffleman_ posted:

Apparently, Crisis on Infinite Earths Part 3 [...] will have new Kevin Conroy Batman lines so this is at least not his big sendoff.

Yeesh, not much better :rimshot:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

Apparently, Crisis on Infinite Earths Part 3 and Multiversus will have new Kevin Conroy Batman lines so this is at least not his big sendoff.

.. I mean Part 3 of a terrible DTV adaptation and a fighting game that may not actually be coming back is not a great.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
There's very, very few actors who's last role is their best one. Raul Julia's last movie was playing M Bison in Street Fighter: The Movie. He played the hell out of that role, but it's pretty obviously not the best movie he was in.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Air Skwirl posted:

There's very, very few actors who's last role is their best one. Raul Julia's last movie was playing M Bison in Street Fighter: The Movie. He played the hell out of that role, but it's pretty obviously not the best movie he was in.

I'm confused you're trying to prove a point that actors final roles aren't their best ones but then you use an example disproving your point

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Medullah posted:

I'm confused you're trying to prove a point that actors final roles aren't their best ones but then you use an example disproving your point

There is nobody in the world who could have played Gomez Addams better than Raul Julia.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

ImpAtom posted:

There is nobody in the world who could have played Gomez Addams better than Raul Julia.

......gently caress that is a hard choice but I agree with you

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Air Skwirl posted:

Yeah, Sean Connery's was League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

While technically not his last, one of Orson Welles' last movies was the first Transformers movie, a film he was very vocal about hating.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

ImpAtom posted:

Wasn’t his last role actually M Bison?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

chaosapiant posted:

Wasn’t his last role actually M Bison?

... Yes and the point of the post was that his Gomez was his best role and not his last

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

site posted:

... Yes and the point of the post was that his Gomez was his best role and not his last

Yea I’ll totally admit I had no idea what we were talking about, my bad.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Watch Addams family and Addams family values immediately

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

TwoPair posted:

Yeah, Sean Connery's was League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

Sadly, not quite true. It got even worse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a20oRLJ4v4s

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Can't believe they disrespected Raul Julia by killing M. Bison like that.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Waffleman_ posted:

Suicide Squad if Vivziepop wrote it

Wow, that's a... Very good encapsulation of it.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

no, M Bison was a good last role.

also, just saw the cutscene for batman and superman deaths. lol. Who the hell wrote this?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

GateOfD posted:

no, M Bison was a good last role.

also, just saw the cutscene for batman and superman deaths. lol. Who the hell wrote this?

Same, and also read Conroy reprised the role, which seems extra mean spirited. Intentionally or not.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

TwoPair posted:

While technically not his last, one of Orson Welles' last movies was the first Transformers movie, a film he was very vocal about hating.

If I had to work with Wally Burr I'd probably hate whatever I worked on, too.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

site posted:

Watch Addams family and Addams family values immediately

This is good advice for basically anyone, at any time.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I saw the first Addam's Family in theaters when I was 11, and it was awesome.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

If everyone that made the Arkham Games is gone, is it still Arkham Games

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

GateOfD posted:

If everyone that made the Arkham Games is gone, is it still Arkham Games

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I mean honestly the answer to avoiding the Conroy situation was to stop hiring him to voice Batman for cheap nostalgia pops but since this game was (allegedly) in the Arkham universe I get why they did it even if they probably shouldn't have

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Blockhouse posted:

I mean honestly the answer to avoiding the Conroy situation was to stop hiring him to voice Batman for cheap nostalgia pops but since this game was (allegedly) in the Arkham universe I get why they did it even if they probably shouldn't have

Kevin Conroy didn’t disclose his cancer until the very end. Rocksteady hired him years ago and then they made a video game using his voice lines. It’s likely that he had the right of refusal to do future Batman Arkham games. And since the script wasn’t terrible, he went to the studio for a few days and did it.
People have this weird version in their heads where sinister producers lured him into a Burbank recording studio, coercing him into doing combat-alts while drinking from a cup of gall.

As for the character death scenes, saying they’re disrespectful seems decontextualized. Each death follows a multi hour saga with that character menacing the squad and kicking their asses. (The game makes it clear the squad isn’t good enough to take on a single member of the league without an equalizer.) There are also cutscenes of each boss brutally killing the squad with customized quips and game over screens.

The game is called Kill the Justice League. You get to do that. They don’t do the Shadow of the Colossus thing where it’s a constant tragedy; you play semi-competent assholes with grudges. That’s the basis of the comedy.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Oh no I'm totally with you on people being weird about this being Conroy's final role (which it isn't now apparently)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
What comedy?