Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I can't believe people are doing the multiple systems/Lokiwife bullshit again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

LanceHunter posted:

but feels the need to be so open minded and empathetic to the obviously self-deluded loons doing it that the most she can ultimately say is that "I can't say if multiple realities do or don't exist"...

If yelling "your delusion isn't real, you dumbass" helped people with delusions then there wouldn't be anyone with delusions because everyone with those delusions would have heard it from literally everyone they've ever talked to

it's a pretty fine line to walk if your goal is to "try to talk people with those delusions out of their delusions without setting yourself up In Opposition and thus To Be Ignored", vs. a dan olson "can you believe how stupid these people are" kind of video

(especially if the delusions are, you know, tied to mentally escaping from lovely real life situations)

youtube isn't therapy and shouldn't be but kid glove handling is probably arguably more helpful than "another group of people to point and laugh at", if that's your goal, I guess

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I can't believe people are doing the multiple systems/Lokiwife bullshit again.

Oddly enough it's circled back to Harry Potter and the shifters are all simultaneously married to either Snape or Draco

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

mycot posted:

Oddly enough it's circled back to Harry Potter and the shifters are all simultaneously married to either Snape or Draco

snapewives are forever

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

it's a pretty fine line to walk if your goal is to "try to talk people with those delusions out of their delusions without setting yourself up In Opposition and thus To Be Ignored", vs. a dan olson "can you believe how stupid these people are" kind of video

Dan Olsen's videos were more explainers of the hows and whys of their beliefs, how they intersect with even more regressive and reactionary beliefs and the whole slide into those worse beliefs they facilitate, not pointing and laughing.

I think you're taking him not using 'kid gloves' as you said and dismissing what the videos were to try because it wasn't sufficiently gentle about the topic which is silly.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Bobvids returns for all of thirteen minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOKRQVcSVCk

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

I'm not even saying that she'd be able to influence the people who are already deep into it. But clear and effective mocking is a proven-effective strategy for people who might be generally-sympathetic to some particularly dumb strain of internet thought to pull them away before they fall further into it.

Hell, HBomb probably pulled more dudes away from manosphere radicalization just by laughing at Davis Aurini's toy skull than all the attempts to sympathize with them ever did.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Dan's videos aren't really aimed at people who are already immersed in whatever he's covering, or at least that's the impression I get. They're more for those on the outside, particularly ones who might be at risk of getting sucked in. He isn't just pointing and laughing but he doesn't pull any punches either.

cugel
Jan 22, 2010
Love the messy garage behind that dude...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZyId_AvAR4

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Like these form of hyper radicalized believers dont want a discussion. Even among themselves they don't really talk or learn from one another, they sit things into the void of the internet and each one grabs whatever they can to attach to their own beliefs.

Hell this is brought up in Dan's video about flat earth. He spoke in a chat with them pretending to be a believer and said "Hey I did this experiment and my results were different" and then wen through the check lists of controls he did and it ends on them saying "You MUST have messed up. Pray about it and do it again." They don't want to have discussions even in the in group, they want to have faith and not have anyone push back against their particular take. That's why QAnon is so loving tantalizing to that sort of person because the core of QAnon is gibberish that tells you "You're the real detective here. You're the only one that can understand The Clues To Reality". It's a greenlight to cut off all reality and evidence no matter how nice or well intentioned the person talking to them is.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

The "shifter" she interviewed in the video who said other shifters were clearing making it up because they saw Hermione twerking and "just because you're in another reality doesn't means he would do that" was beyond parody.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
It also unfortunately is a very effective tool for facilitating abusive relationships, especially the goofy fanfiction version because it appeals to usually young, usually disenfranchised people in bad house situations that would make total escapism tempting. "You're special, I'm the only one in the world who knows you're special"

mycot fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jan 30, 2024

euroshopper
Aug 14, 2021

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Like these form of hyper radicalized believers dont want a discussion. Even among themselves they don't really talk or learn from one another, they sit things into the void of the internet and each one grabs whatever they can to attach to their own beliefs.

i think for most teens fictionkin stuff serves the same function that invader zim AIM roleplay did in the 00s and most of them will almost certainly grow out of it. also noting that most of the people who genuinely got mad at them like 8 years ago didn't do so out of concern, rather they saw it as "lolcow content"

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Hell this is brought up in Dan's video about flat earth. He spoke in a chat with them pretending to be a believer and said "Hey I did this experiment and my results were different" and then wen through the check lists of controls he did and it ends on them saying "You MUST have messed up. Pray about it and do it again." They don't want to have discussions even in the in group, they want to have faith and not have anyone push back against their particular take. That's why QAnon is so loving tantalizing to that sort of person because the core of QAnon is gibberish that tells you "You're the real detective here. You're the only one that can understand The Clues To Reality". It's a greenlight to cut off all reality and evidence no matter how nice or well intentioned the person talking to them is.

Dan's outro spiel for the flat earth video really manages to perfectly and succinctly capture the underlying mindset of the modern reactionary:

"Their will is a hammer that they are using to beat reality itself into a shape of their choosing, a simple world where reality is exactly what it looks like through their eyes, devoid of complexity, devoid of change, where they are right and their enemies are silent."

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

mycot posted:

It also unfortunately is a very effective tool for facilitating abusive relationships, especially the goofy fanfiction version because it appeals to usually young, usually disenfranchised people in bad house situations that would make total escapism tempting. "You're special, I'm the only one in the world who knows you're special"

And Strange even did a whole series on one particularly infamous abuser who was using this exact tactic!

Like, maybe if at the end of this video she then linked to those videos as the recommended next viewing, it could be helpful. (Get the folks who are more susceptible to this kind of thinking in the door, show them you are on their side, and then show them how wrong things can go.)

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

LanceHunter posted:

And Strange even did a whole series on one particularly infamous abuser who was using this exact tactic!

Yeah it was your post mentioning Andy Thanfiction/the Harry Potter cult that inspired that post lol

Like, if it was JUST a stupid teenager thing then it would be all in good fun and just a future cringey memory, and you're probably still better off as a TikTok Snapewife than an incel or Q guy, but unfortunately it can get darker than that.

mycot fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jan 31, 2024

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

euroshopper posted:

i think for most teens fictionkin stuff serves the same function that invader zim AIM roleplay did in the 00s and most of them will almost certainly grow out of it. also noting that most of the people who genuinely got mad at them like 8 years ago didn't do so out of concern, rather they saw it as "lolcow content"

I was talking about the Flat earther convo no the otherkin stuff.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

euroshopper posted:

What is with you and lolcows

euroshopper
Aug 14, 2021

I was talking about the Flat earther convo no the otherkin stuff.

my bad i thought you were referring to mycot's post

euroshopper
Aug 14, 2021

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

What is with you and lolcows

i was harassed by the encyclopedia dramatica losers as a young teen and i still see kids get treated the same way for being mildly cringe online which upsets me

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Bobvids has posted the second part of his ongoing runin with Supernormal. On it, he actually had a mediated talk with Artur! Do heed the content warnings at the start because it definitely goes a lot into the worse stuff in detail.

Kunster fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jan 31, 2024

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

cugel posted:

Love the messy garage behind that dude...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZyId_AvAR4

Disneyland Gangs are so loving badass

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
the earth is flat, hollow, and is balanced preciously on a elephant's back

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

The final fantasy house but it's a tiktok influencer mansion where they all have to do hermione twerks on Tuesdays

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

LanceHunter posted:

The "shifter" she interviewed in the video who said other shifters were clearing making it up because they saw Hermione twerking and "just because you're in another reality doesn't means he would do that" was beyond parody.
seriously. what a recklessly irresponsible thing to do by strangeaeons. this person should not be framed as an expert, and especially after Aeons already showed earlier in the video how people get stresed and dismayed and depressed about not being able to shift while being told repeatedly that it's real

it's loving lucid dreaming. you didn't go to hogwarts

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

yep. It's hosed. Sorry for people who use this to escape horrible stuff but man...spreading it around is just lousy imo

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

trilobite terror posted:

flat earth also kinda counters belief in non-supernatural aliens, because of what most flat earthers believe cosmologically.

I’ve seen flat earthers argue that aliens are trans-dimensional and occupy the same “space” as earth and are basically earthlings, just from another dimension, but I think that was a pretty rare case.

Mostly I’d assume that flat earthers generally believe in “aliens” being angelic/demonic manifestations, or the actions of some suppressive government/etc, if they believe in them at all.

Ah poo poo, the interdimensional beings argument, the ultimate "a wizard did it" explanation to handwave away any anomalies that might creep into a fringe belief and start causing the true believers to start having doubts. A large chunk of the bigfoot hunting community dove headfirst down that rabbithole a dew decades ago in order to explain a lot of the weirder poo poo that started creeping into bigfoot sightings and caused a hard split between the "bigfoot is a real animal we just haven't documented properly" science guys and the "bigfoot is a trans-dimensional being who communicates with me specifically via telepathic signals and is my friend" hippy guys. It went so far that the woo side of the community had to hold their own separate conventions out in the woods:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6iduWmgKFo
It's weird as gently caress but also goddamn fascinating

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Is that Peter Coffin’s ex wife? I’m glad she’s enjoying life.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Jenny went to what seems like an amazing educational(?) dinosaur(?) theme park:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChEob8IBgDQ

Every attraction being arranged along a one-way tunnel and having to be seen in a certain order seems very appropriate for germany.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

I AM GRANDO posted:

Every attraction being arranged along a one-way tunnel and having to be seen in a certain order seems very appropriate for germany.

You could walk right into the smelly water if you wanted to. Is that not enough? What more could you ask for?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Jenny definitely a little punch drunk at the end putting the 3D glasses on the camera.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

https://x.com/GreatCheshire/status/1752451559919644767?s=20

preach

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

My wife's youngest used to watch The Norris Nuts and holy gently caress is that a family that is all going to need so much therapy if and when they escape that channel

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

I'm assuming that's about family channels with young children with no capacity to consent, the McFarlands seem generally OK and they are probably the only family stuff I would watch

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I'm assuming that's about family channels with young children with no capacity to consent, the McFarlands seem generally OK and they are probably the only family stuff I would watch

Vlog Brothers are alright too

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

B33rChiller posted:

Vlog Brothers are alright too

How To Dad is pretty harmless as well

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

It also reminds me that almost every other video on douyin is "precocious child does or says something funny or surprisingly adult" and I'm suspecting generational trauma in 10 years' time among the Chinese speaking people will be very bad

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

euroshopper posted:

the difference is that AIM zim roleplay is clearly marked as fiction even by the people participating in it. not saying that some people didnt get overinvested in their dbz forum RPs but theres an acknowledgement that its group fiction. the otherkin/fictionkin stuff is worrying because its posited as actually real. most of them will grow out of it probably but its harder to grow out of it when you get yelled at if you say it isnt real life.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Saddest Rhino posted:

yea they mean 'family vlogs that upload every day and shove their kids in front of the camera constantly' and not 'some dude going 'hey my kid did this how wacky' every couple of weeks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

LanceHunter posted:

in the 50s they put three guys who all thought they were jesus together to see whatd happen. they argued a bunch at first but eventually they all, independently, without prompting from the psychologist, arrived at the conclusion that the other two were mentally ill and that they, jesus christ, has been sent to cure them.