Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which season of Doctor Who should get a Blu-ray set next?
This poll is closed.
One of the black-and-white seasons 16 29.63%
Season 7 7 12.96%
Season 11 1 1.85%
Season 13 0 0%
Season 15 2 3.70%
The Key to Time 21 38.89%
Season 21 0 0%
Season 25 7 12.96%
Total: 54 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Okay so City of Death was really good! I enjoyed that immensely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Flying Zamboni posted:

I'm watching Mawdryn Undead and I love Mawdryn just showing up and telling the companions "yeah I'm The Doctor after another regeneration and I'm all hosed up looking because that can just happen sometimes" and they have to go along with it for a little bit because they can't say for sure that isn't true.

The make-up affect hasn't aged well but the first time I saw that thing in his forehead it stuck with me forever, it was so hosed up and unsettling.

Hollismason posted:

The Count showing up somewhere he should absolutely NOT be and also recognizing the Doctor immediately was a real :tviv: moment the first time I saw it.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Hollismason posted:

If you watch some version of Shada at the end of the season (there's several of versions of Shada that try to finish the unfilmed portions), be sure to read Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency and go, "A lot of this is really familiar."

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I read Dirk Gently as a kid and many years later I stumbled on City Of Death without knowing anything about it and I was like whaaaat

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
It's well-known trivia but Life, the Universe and Everything was based on ideas Adams had for a Doctor Who story called The Krikkitmen.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I wonder what The Long Dark Teatime Of The Soul started as. A comic book adaptation?!

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Flying Zamboni posted:

I'm watching Mawdryn Undead and I love Mawdryn just showing up and telling the companions "yeah I'm The Doctor after another regeneration and I'm all hosed up looking because that can just happen sometimes" and they have to go along with it for a little bit because they can't say for sure that isn't true.

This should really happen more often. Have the Master claim to be a future Doctor and see if he can make it five minutes before blurting out "Fooled you all!"

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Angry Salami posted:

This should really happen more often. Have the Master claim to be a future Doctor and see if he can make it five minutes before blurting out "Fooled you all!"

Big Finish did this once and it loving ruled.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

DoctorWhat posted:

Big Finish did this once and it loving ruled.

"... hello, you :mmmsmug:"

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Jerusalem posted:

"... hello, you :mmmsmug:"

I very much enjoyed his take on the Master, given that most of his roles are "ineffectual posh idiot" it was nice to give him some range.

Edit: and the best part of this stuff is it absolutely can work on the Doctor. There's barely anything he can't know aside from his own future. Well, it works right up until "Contact - hey, wait a second"

Fil5000 fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Jan 30, 2024

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Fil5000 posted:

I very much enjoyed his take on the Master, given that most of his roles are "ineffectual posh idiot" it was nice to give him some range.

Edit: and the best part of this stuff is it absolutely can work on the Doctor. There's barely anything he can't know aside from his own future. Well, it works right up until "Contact - hey, wait a second"

Still pretty miffed that neither Doctor thought to do this when the confusion between 13 and Fugitive arose, and then the Doctor meets Gatt and IMMEDIATELY goes,"I know the best way to communicate the information I need.... Contact!"

Now, you might be thinking,"Ahhh but if one of them is from the other's future, surely sharing information about their future is a risk the Doctor can't take with the Fugitive!" except, of course, that she uses Contact to show a past-era Time Lord the destruction and devastation of Gallifrey in the far future!

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

I always thought the logic was you can do whatever you want while you're in contact with your past incarnation, they're going to forget it as soon as they hop in their Tardis and head off to the next adventure.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Even more reason for the two of them to telepathically fill each other in to solve the mystery! The past one will forget until they eventually reach where the current one is, who will be able to move on now with the full picture!

MuddyFunster
Jan 31, 2020

FUN you, EARHOLE
I'm sure he might well have become annoying in a Harry Mk2 sort of way, but by god, Duggan seemed like the perfect companion to me and I wish there was more of him.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Angry Salami posted:

Y'know, we've seen the Master be the Doctor (sort of) as Prof. Yana, and we've seen the Doctor (particularly #10) do some poo poo that would make the Master say "oh my!", what I'd like to see is a story where they have to take up the other's role and the find out to their dismay that they're way too good at it for their own liking.

Also, it should be a rule that whomever plays the Master should either be IRL buddies with the actor playing the Doctor, married to them, or even better, divorced from them.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Fil5000 posted:

I happen to know him personally - he's a really nice guy, and really relished the role (probably for the reason you just said)

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

A.o.D. posted:

Also, it should be a rule that whomever plays the Master should either be IRL buddies with the actor playing the Doctor, married to them, or even better, divorced from them.

Bille Piper as the Doctor would absolutely work, but there are distinct _problems_ with the idea of Laurence Fox as the Master.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

A.o.D. posted:

Y'know, we've seen the Master be the Doctor (sort of) as Prof. Yana, and we've seen the Doctor (particularly #10) do some poo poo that would make the Master say "oh my!", what I'd like to see is a story where they have to take up the other's role and the find out to their dismay that they're way too good at it for their own liking.

This (the former, not latter) is sort of covered by David Warner's alternate doctor and Mark Gattis alternate master in the Unbound series. Specifically later on once it becomes the Bernice Summerfield series and The Doctor becomes President of the Universe.
the doctor escapes the alternate universe to return to "ours" with Bernice (who is from here originally). Techno babble stuff happens, he left the Master as president, but he's actually suited to it. Maybe.

But to the second point, Lisa and David are so good together since they were essentially a married couple in real life by then.

Edit don't know why I referred to Lisa as Bernice

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

McGann posted:

This (the former, not latter) is sort of covered by David Warner's alternate doctor and Mark Gattis alternate master in the Unbound series. Specifically later on once it becomes the Bernice Summerfield series and The Doctor becomes President of the Universe.
the doctor escapes the alternate universe to return to "ours" with Bernice (who is from here originally). Techno babble stuff happens, he left the Master as president, but he's actually suited to it. Maybe.

In what's an unfortunate trend, someone else in the company saw the success this series had and decided to capitalise on it in ways that undermined the original story. Turns out the Master almost immediately killed every single person in that universe, then built four sex robots to hang out with and then killed them too.

It's not a great story.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
Obvious I know but the War Doctor/War Master series kinda/sorta get at the "Doctor as Master/Master as Doctor" thing too.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Jerusalem posted:

The make-up affect hasn't aged well but the first time I saw that thing in his forehead it stuck with me forever, it was so hosed up and unsettling.

Yeah it doesn't look great by today's standards but I think it's still a pretty effective design and you can tell what they were going for.

I just finished the story and enjoyed it. I plan to watch the other two entries in the Black Guardian trilogy as well. The titular undead were pretty interesting antagonists and their backstory and motivation were cool.

Turlough is fun and there should be more companions every once in awhile who are just kind of dickheads. The Black Guardian is also very entertaining in his campiness and his little bird toupee is ludicrous.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Open Source Idiom posted:

In what's an unfortunate trend, someone else in the company saw the success this series had and decided to capitalise on it in ways that undermined the original story. Turns out the Master almost immediately killed every single person in that universe, then built four sex robots to hang out with and then killed them too.

It's not a great story.

Ugh. What? Is this a mention from another story? I know he shows up in the multimaster story, Which I have listened to but vaguely recall any beats from due to it being garbage.

Then I can go back to ignoring it existing.

Edit through brief research I realized I have never listened to the final series with Warner, because at the time I did not want to hear nazi cyber men.

I think I got half. I guess I should finish it.

McGann fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jan 30, 2024

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

Flying Zamboni posted:

The Black Guardian is also very entertaining in his campiness and his little bird toupee is ludicrous.

World's worst manager, too.

"BOY! WHY ARE YOU NOT DOING [thing]"

"But you just told me to do [opposite of thing]?"

"FOOLISH WHELP! YOU WILL DO AS I SAY EVEN IF I DON'T SAY IT"

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It's well-known trivia but Life, the Universe and Everything was based on ideas Adams had for a Doctor Who story called The Krikkitmen.

I feel like that one was probably a step too far and was canned for good reason.

radmonger posted:

Bille Piper as the Doctor would absolutely work, but there are distinct _problems_ with the idea of Laurence Fox as the Master.

Billy Piper would be fun casting for sixteen. I don't know if it would work, but it's a fun idea.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah but Life, the Universe and Everything was great.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

McGann posted:

Ugh. What? Is this a mention from another story? I know he shows up in the multimaster story, Which I have listened to but vaguely recall any beats from due to it being garbage.

Then I can go back to ignoring it existing.

It's one of the War Master stories, the Dalek one. It's sort of aiming for ironic camp, but mostly just ends up being a bit poo poo.

McGann posted:

Edit through brief research I realized I have never listened to the final series with Warner, because at the time I did not want to hear nazi cyber men.

I think I got half. I guess I should finish it.

It's a very good set. Some really awful stuff, done very well, and a really cool revisionist take on Tomb of The Cybermen.

I also really like how it functions as a sort of unofficial coda to the range, with the final episode mirroring the final episode from the Seventh Doctor/Benny/Dalek series.

There are plans for more Benny stories though, the recordings just fell through because a (different) actor died.

Actually, speaking of Benny, have you heard Timeless Passages?

Random Stranger posted:

Billy Piper would be fun casting for sixteen. I don't know if it would work, but it's a fun idea.

I remember when the rumour for Series 14 was that Catherine Tate would be the Doctor and David Tennant would be the companion. :allears:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Companion is a future Doctor" is one of the two parts of my showrunner pitch. The other is a story about a fugitive being pursued by a deadly foe titled "The Quarry of Death" or "The Quarry of the Daleks".

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Hollismason posted:

"What a wonderful butler, he's so violent!" and "You're a beautiful woman, probably" are two all-timers for Doctor who quips.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

quote:

Countess : My dear, I don't think he's as stupid as he seems.
Count : My dear, nobody could be as stupid as he seems.
is my favourite bit of dialogue out of many great lines.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Barry Foster posted:

I happen to know him personally - he's a really nice guy, and really relished the role (probably for the reason you just said)

He's an actor I'm always happy to see in things, it's a shame we didn't get him as the Master on TV because he's a great foil for Capaldi on The Thick of It.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

Even more reason for the two of them to telepathically fill each other in to solve the mystery! The past one will forget until they eventually reach where the current one is, who will be able to move on now with the full picture!

That’s the big reason I can think of not to do it: if neither is genuinely certain which one is past or future Doctor, establishing contact might be dangerous.

Although in retrospect it’d be really obvious Fugitive is well in the past and had her memory wiped; the ambiguity is probably preferable to the implied storyline we get in Flux. “Doctor messes around with Time itself and ends up unmoored and disconnected from her own timeline” would be preferable.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Open Source Idiom posted:

It's one of the War Master stories, the Dalek one. It's sort of aiming for ironic camp, but mostly just ends up being a bit poo poo.

It's a very good set. Some really awful stuff, done very well, and a really cool revisionist take on Tomb of The Cybermen.

Actually, speaking of Benny, have you heard Timeless Passages?

Thank you - I know I have listened to the entire War Master series, but I do not remember that mention one bit. Sometimes my BF listening gets ignored and I miss large swathes, most likely what happened here.

As for Benny audios, I do remember trying her series starting from 1.1 back in the late 00s, and it was fun. Weird, cheap, early days of BF - but had some fun acting and concepts (Nicolas Courtney was in the one where all the ex-Who actors appear as characters from Alice in Wonderland, I think Nicolas is the Cheshire Cat? maybe?)

My googling tells me Timeless Passages is 7.2 from her line - if it's accessible without being caught up, I'd like to give it a whirl this week. *after* I finish the Warner set, mind.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

I feel like that one was probably a step too far and was canned for good reason.

It's maybe a bit exaggerated but The Moment feels like Moffat writing for Billie as the Doctor

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Oh also City of Death has episodes not parts which I thought was weird change.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

McGann posted:

Thank you - I know I have listened to the entire War Master series, but I do not remember that mention one bit. Sometimes my BF listening gets ignored and I miss large swathes, most likely what happened here.

As for Benny audios, I do remember trying her series starting from 1.1 back in the late 00s, and it was fun. Weird, cheap, early days of BF - but had some fun acting and concepts (Nicolas Courtney was in the one where all the ex-Who actors appear as characters from Alice in Wonderland, I think Nicolas is the Cheshire Cat? maybe?)

My googling tells me Timeless Passages is 7.2 from her line - if it's accessible without being caught up, I'd like to give it a whirl this week. *after* I finish the Warner set, mind.

I think the Alice in Wonderland one is Zagreus, which has a ton of weird nonsense going on (Colin Baker playing a vampire in a flashback being a highlight) and also an old recording of Pertwee that sounds like they found it in a burning bin being used purely so they could say they'd put him in it. Pre revival era Big Finish was an amazing mixed bag.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Doctor Spaceman posted:

is my favourite bit of dialogue out of many great lines.

The Doctor: I can't let you fool about with time.
Count Scarlioni: What else do YOU ever do?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

A.o.D. posted:

Again. Alex MacQueen in UNIT: Dominion

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

McGann posted:

Yeah, it's almost completely standalone. It's also one of the best things they've ever made, IMO, and no one's heard of it because it's in an obscure line. But a lot of that series is pretty good tbh.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

DoctorWhat posted:

Again. Alex MacQueen in UNIT: Dominion

Big finish productions aren't universally accessible, so I hope you'll forgive me for not knowing what any particular audio play has done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

A.o.D. posted:

One of the subplots in Masterful sees this happen as well. It's interesting, ends up sending MacQueen's Master into a depression.

A.o.D. posted:

Big finish productions aren't universally accessible, so I hope you'll forgive me for not knowing what any particular audio play has done.

Absolutely. This one's free on Spotify if you wanna check it out though. :)

(I actually think it's bad tbh, but a lot of people love it so maybe you might too.)