Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Cosmik Debris posted:

Maybe union shops do, but where I'm at construction pays poo poo and only mexicans do it. Learning the trades isn't hard, you just shadow someone with experience and do what they tell you. If you're not brain-dead you'll pick it up.

I'm as qualified a construction worker as ever there was, I do all my own work. You name it I've done it. Demo, frame carpentry, finish carpentry, plumbing, electrical, hvac, brick block and concrete, experienced with heavy machinery, the list goes on and on and on. I know how hard the work is.

But I make pretty good money as an embedded systems programmer and I get to work in an office 3 days a week and work from home for 2, from 930 until about 330 or 4.

Point being, if they need construction workers that badly, I can grab my hi-viz and PPE and meet them onsite. But methinks they're not gonna make it worth my time.

Oh you do projects around the house? Well, head on down to the hall, im sure theyll journey you out right on the spot. loving lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

doctorfrog posted:

Commercials are now interrupting Amazon Prime shows, so they're not too different from Freevee, which, no doubt has even more commercials.

Not on Firefox + ublock at this time, of course. 🖕🖕🖕

There's a new and exciting $2.99 a month add on to Prime to watch great Prime content ad free!

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Oh you do projects around the house? Well, head on down to the hall, im sure theyll journey you out right on the spot. loving lol

Well actually I'm a licensed professional engineer in my state too. but thanks.

before i switched fields my job was to tell construction crews what to do. like, literally, as an inspector I had to watch and make sure they were doing their job correctly. At construction sites. In power plants. Where I worked.

:p

maybe if you want a job in construction I can hook you up? Next time you're on the eastern seaboard let me know. I have lots of contacts in power and water and waste-water construction services who would be willing to hire you on the spot as long as you can pass a piss test and can work for 18$ an hour.

Cosmik Debris fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jan 30, 2024

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Fly-by-night door to door contractors have always been lovely, but the ones peddling this year's racket of choice in my area: attic insulation, have been unusually obnoxious, numerous and persistent.

I get that having to deal with this is just part of the deal of living in a house, but holy poo poo, tone down the sale pressure a notch. Last dude was practically climbing upstairs and asking me where the attic access was before I even had a chance to tell him to gently caress off.

Aramis fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jan 30, 2024

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

redshirt posted:

There's a new and exciting $2.99 a month add on to Prime to watch great Prime content ad free!

Really enjoying this paradigm of having to pay more for something I already had.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Prices have always gone up.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Shopping for clothes really sucks now that stores don't have fitting rooms anymore. The last couple times I went to buy clothes I got home and found that everything I got was slightly too large or slightly too small. They removed all the fitting rooms because of covid and then just never brought them back.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Cosmik Debris posted:

Well actually I'm a licensed professional engineer in my state too. but thanks.

before i switched fields my job was to tell construction crews what to do. like, literally, as an inspector I had to watch and make sure they were doing their job correctly. At construction sites. In power plants. Where I worked.

:p

maybe if you want a job in construction I can hook you up? Next time you're on the eastern seaboard let me know. I have lots of contacts in power and water and waste-water construction services who would be willing to hire you on the spot as long as you can pass a piss test and can work for 18$ an hour.

Lol, I have a PE too and literally worked in the trades for like a decade and a half before that. I was making 45/hr in construction before going back to school. Thanks for the offer, bud, but I got out of construction for a reason, and it wasn't the pay.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

deep dish peat moss posted:

Shopping for clothes really sucks now that stores don't have fitting rooms anymore. The last couple times I went to buy clothes I got home and found that everything I got was slightly too large or slightly too small. They removed all the fitting rooms because of covid and then just never brought them back.

COVID was such a great excuse to make everything worse and take stuff away. As if the fitting rooms were any more dangerous than being in the store in the first place

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Hey fellow PE-havers.
I don't use mine either but I keep paying for renewal just in case.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1752100767589347450

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe

TotalLossBrain posted:

Hey fellow PE-havers.
I don't use mine either but I keep paying for renewal just in case.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Reviews on steam say it's because of a loving music license expiring lol. wtf

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Reviews on steam say it's because of a loving music license expiring lol. wtf

There's a fair few licensed tracks in the game,

https://vgost.fandom.com/wiki/Spec_Ops:_The_Line

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

ishikabibble posted:

There's a fair few licensed tracks in the game,

https://vgost.fandom.com/wiki/Spec_Ops:_The_Line

Oh poo poo, there are some good songs in there. I bought the game years ago but never played it because I'm too afraid to make some decisions. Goons were very cryptic about describing it, which I appreciated, as to not spoil the horrible poo poo I might have to do.

I'll play it sometime.

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

hendrix's estate (owned by his half sister he met once) is insane about licensing. the jimi hendrix biopic starring andre 3000 couldn't even afford to license any of his songs, they had to use solely tracks that he made famous but didn't write.

im sure the devs will remove the tracks in question and put it back up

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Oh poo poo, there are some good songs in there. I bought the game years ago but never played it because I'm too afraid to make some decisions. Goons were very cryptic about describing it, which I appreciated, as to not spoil the horrible poo poo I might have to do.

I'll play it sometime.

Spec Ops doesn't have any decisions though. The biggest scene is practically linear, and they say it's a choice because you could simply just stop playing before you did that thing, that was the other choice.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

skooma512 posted:

Spec Ops doesn't have any decisions though. The biggest scene is practically linear, and they say it's a choice because you could simply just stop playing before you did that thing, that was the other choice.

Perhaps I have been misguided on what the game is. I still know nothing about it and haven't even looked anything up about it. I was told to go in blind.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Perhaps I have been misguided on what the game is. I still know nothing about it and haven't even looked anything up about it. I was told to go in blind.

It has a decent narrative and is fun enough to play through, but don't go in expecting some branching narrative or even actual decisions.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Cosmik Debris posted:

I think a lot of dinosaurs just can't stomach the sharp increase in pay that is necessary post-covlation, so they'd rather throw up their hands and say "cant find anyone who wants to work!!11"

That would be true if wages didn't go up significantly as well. The local Menards is hiring at $19-22/hr. Pre-covid they were $7.25.

And they still can't get enough employees. Because they don't exist. Everyone in my area has had "Now Hiring" in their windows. The restaurants close at 8pm because they can't hire enough people. They all got drained for desk jobs that are hiring anyone that isn't a serial killer. Look around you, it's not because people aren't willing to pay, they are. They just have no one to hire anymore. We've run out of people. Unemployment has been sitting at zero for the past few years now. Larger businesses are scalping workers, and they're paying for it by increasing their product prices. Until we oversaturate with workers or people stop buying products, prices keep climbing.

I work in the financial industry. Our yearly profit sharing for the past 2 years has been employee retention. We've been losing some of our best workers because someone else is willing to pay them nearly double what they were making here. People are getting close to $200k computer toucher jobs in the midwest. It's unheard of. They need people that bad. I'm not talking about data scientists here, I'm talking admins, network peeps, security dudes.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jan 31, 2024

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Even if that was completely true, it still points to a clear failure of supply and demand on the part of the businesses that claim they can't find anyone to fill positions

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Philthy posted:

And they still can't get enough employees. Because they don't exist.

I mean, they used to until rather recently.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

wash bucket posted:

I mean, they used to until rather recently.

Right. Massive retirements during Covid. Less births. Immigration taking 10 loving years instead of days.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Philthy posted:

That would be true if wages didn't go up significantly as well. The local Menards is hiring at $19-22/hr. Pre-covid they were $7.25.

And they still can't get enough employees. Because they don't exist. Everyone in my area has had "Now Hiring" in their windows. The restaurants close at 8pm because they can't hire enough people. They all got drained for desk jobs that are hiring anyone that isn't a serial killer. Look around you, it's not because people aren't willing to pay, they are. They just have no one to hire anymore. We've run out of people. Unemployment has been sitting at zero for the past few years now. Larger businesses are scalping workers, and they're paying for it by increasing their product prices. Until we oversaturate with workers or people stop buying products, prices keep climbing.

I work in the financial industry. Our yearly profit sharing for the past 2 years has been employee retention. We've been losing some of our best workers because someone else is willing to pay them nearly double what they were making here. People are getting close to $200k computer toucher jobs in the midwest. It's unheard of. They need people that bad. I'm not talking about data scientists here, I'm talking admins, network peeps, security dudes.
The small business tyrant defender has logged on.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Philthy posted:

Right. Massive retirements during Covid. Less births. Immigration taking 10 loving years instead of days.

Also the people who died or were disabled by Covid

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

skooma512 posted:

Also the people who died or were disabled by Covid

This too. We saw a record jump in disability from long Covid. I believe it doubled over the span of a few years.

cat botherer posted:

The small business tyrant defender has logged on.

I don't follow? All I'm saying is that businesses are willing to pay for workers, and it's still not working because it can't. Right now it's a workers market. Want to make more money? Pitch your resume and see how big of a bump you can get.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jan 31, 2024

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Look, we can sit here and point fingers at what maimed and killed whose cheap labor until the cows come home. But that won't solve the problem.

AI will.

Obviously.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Philthy posted:

I don't follow? All I'm saying is that businesses are willing to pay for workers, and it's still not working because it can't. Right now it's a workers market. Want to make more money? Pitch your resume and see how big of a bump you can get.

The job market right now is loving garbage for most professions, this is only true if you're in a few specific niches with extremely high demand. This misconception is mostly brought about by the number of job postings active right now, but they're largely ghost jobs, resume farming for future use[*], or literal data harvesting with no actual job behind them.

I have a pretty good resume, in fact I'd say it's excellent for the niche tech things I've done. I applied to over 1,000 jobs over 2 years before finding one that pays a living wage. Of those 1,000 jobs I got 7 callbacks and 7 interviews, six of which barely paid above minimum wage even for director-level positions.

Things like Cybersecurity or some dev circles - sure you can still find a job if you have the qualifications. But most jobs (especially in tech) are just straight-up gone.

[*]as in the company might potentially use them if they decide they want to hire in the future

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jan 31, 2024

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Sorry, it's a very touchy subject for me because I have a libertarian friend who is convinced it's all lazy people refusing to work, and they're somehow still living large from the money Trump and Biden gave everyone. Somehow unemployment is a hoax. It's just lazy people all the way down. You can have a tiny sprinkle of that, sure, but the rest of the 10 gallon tub is reality.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

800peepee51doodoo posted:

True for a lot of jobs, maybe most, but not really for construction. Construction pays really really well. It's just hard, filthy, dangerous work with long hours and an often repellent culture. And it has a long learning curve. It's just a job that a lot of people can't do or really don't want to do.

Don’t forget long term travel!

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
Yeah I just moved 2500 miles to (hopefully) get a job, after working remotely for the vast majority of my career. Nobody can tell me the employment market is going great, and while maybe there are a couple sectors that are going nuts, its like DDPM said - most of the job postings out there are total bullshit. Recruiters are usually the first against the wall in any sort of tech layoffs, so they're all trying to look extra busy finding even more candidates to lie about

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

deep dish peat moss posted:

The job market right now is loving garbage for most professions, this is only true if you're in a few specific niches with extremely high demand. This misconception is mostly brought about by the number of job postings active right now, but they're largely ghost jobs, resume farming for future use[*], or literal data harvesting with no actual job behind them.

I have a pretty good resume, in fact I'd say it's excellent for the niche tech things I've done. I applied to over 1,000 jobs over 2 years before finding one that pays a living wage. Of those 1,000 jobs I got 7 callbacks and 7 interviews, six of which barely paid above minimum wage even for director-level positions.

Things like Cybersecurity or some dev circles - sure you can still find a job if you have the qualifications. But most jobs (especially in tech) are just straight-up gone.

[*]as in the company might potentially use them if they decide they want to hire in the future

Cybersec is another one of those things where you need tons of very specific work experience to qualify for anything. Education isn't enough. You'll also need the education, and to qualify for the certification you need, work experience.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I personally don't see companies all that desperate to hire in my field (electrical engineering)
I get plenty of recruiters trying to peddle me jobs but it's all for poo poo pay, relatively speaking.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

skooma512 posted:

Cybersec is another one of those things where you need tons of very specific work experience to qualify for anything. Education isn't enough. You'll also need the education, and to qualify for the certification you need, work experience.

Cybersec is actually hiring on experience, not education. Most of IT has shifted from education because it can't keep up. They are looking for experience, and often times they will take completely unrelated IT people to fill those roles for the warm bodies. If anyone is a part of, or follows the major IT research companies they will all tell you to look for the experience and don't even consider the education. People graduating today are already 4-5 years behind.

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh

GABA ghoul posted:

There are a lot of good mail clients for desktop and Android around(I assume for Apple too, but idk). I use K-9 on Android and Thunderbird on Windows. Nobody has to use that slow garbage Gmail UI

Thank you for this recommendation - I just helped him install Thunderbird and it loads great!

Thread content: Google Maps is just making up poo poo.

https://twitter.com/isaiah_bb/status/1752042789393592762

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Philthy posted:

Cybersec is actually hiring on experience, not education. Most of IT has shifted from education because it can't keep up. They are looking for experience, and often times they will take completely unrelated IT people to fill those roles for the warm bodies. If anyone is a part of, or follows the major IT research companies they will all tell you to look for the experience and don't even consider the education. People graduating today are already 4-5 years behind.

Who is they and how can I contact them?

And this seems great, but this falls under the catch-22 of "You need experience to get a job to get experience". I have 10 years of IT support experience, but I can imagine that isn't good enough, so what, are there as many cybersec professionals in the world as there ever will be and no more shall ever made?

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

skooma512 posted:

Who is they and how can I contact them?

And this seems great, but this falls under the catch-22 of "You need experience to get a job to get experience". I have 10 years of IT support experience, but I can imagine that isn't good enough, so what, are there as many cybersec professionals in the world as there ever will be and no more shall ever made?

It is more than enough to get in as a security analyst. You'll be parsing logs, watching alarms, learning software. You might be tasked with obtaining certs after the fact depending, but it should be enough for most businesses looking for people. Infosec is the largest growing part of IT right now. Send that resume out regardless of whatever requirements they might have listed. Those are best case scenarios.

The main issue is that people growing up today are doing it on tablets and phones, and have no concept of servers, the cloud, etc. When they think computers, they go to programming games, if at all.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Something to highlight just how bad the job market/ghost job phenomenon is right now is that There were 9.6 million "open job postings" in September but only 150,000 were actually filled by the end of October per the BLS

By that metric less than 2% of postings are actual real jobs.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jan 31, 2024

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

ghost emoji posted:

Thread content: Google Maps is just making up poo poo.

On the other hand it's kind of rad that it thinks my house is a funeral home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peter Falk
Sep 29, 2023

Philthy posted:

It is more than enough to get in as a security analyst. You'll be parsing logs, watching alarms, learning software. You might be tasked with obtaining certs after the fact depending, but it should be enough for most businesses looking for people. Infosec is the largest growing part of IT right now. Send that resume out regardless of whatever requirements they might have listed. Those are best case scenarios.

The main issue is that people growing up today are doing it on tablets and phones, and have no concept of servers, the cloud, etc. When they think computers, they go to programming games, if at all.

Yeah check out finance, they’re desperate for infosec people