Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glass Punkbull 141
Jan 9, 2008

This is the face of a winner. This is what winning looks like.
On second thought, nah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
It’s like going back in time to the early UFCs, just putting a guy in the cage with no skills. The boxing guy from UFC1 with 1 glove would have killed him.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

If time truly is a flat circle, then we're currently repeating the Spring of 2022 phase of Punk's AEW career.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Tato posted:

It’s like going back in time to the early UFCs, just putting a guy in the cage with no skills. The boxing guy from UFC1 with 1 glove would have killed him.

Put some respect on Art Jimmerson's name

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

Tato posted:

cm punk vs the guy who just kicks you in the balls

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

ItohRespectArmy posted:

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I love you Erin

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
That is an elbow not a foot, Erin is a sham

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
I wish we had another angle of that.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Rarity posted:

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Majinfoose posted:

I don't even watch MMA and can tell Punk is bad at it. God why is making fun of Punk such a good time?

dude finessed people into thinking he was a martial artist when in actuality, the in-ring talent in wwe was so mediocre that doing a high kick and a few knees was mindblowing poo poo. fast forward to 2021 when everyone and their moms are doing Code Reds and actual fighters like dutch satanist Tom Budgen are commonplace, suddenly "a few classes in a dojo" doesn't take you that far and you end up killing your body keeping up with the big boys. loving up the buckshot twice really was indicative of how much further he was athletically compared to like 95% of the AEW roster.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Rarity posted:

Rarity can I just say, I'm glad you're posting in here again :)

#thankyoucmpunk

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Tato posted:

Art is a punchline becase of the one glove bit, but as far as I'm aware he was borderline top 10 Cruiserweight at one point.

Ultimately the one to blame for Punk's farcical MMA run is Dana White. He didn't belong in there with a guy with Gall's BJJ (IIRC, long time since I've been an MMA watcher) background, Gall was a well regarded prospect, Punk was a guy with a road worn body after 15 years pro wrestling who did a BJJ correspondence course. I don't doubt Punk would've preferred to have his MMA debut with the level of attention Batista or Bobby Lashley had but if you get a phone call offering you a lot of money to do something you were going to do anyway you probably say yes too.

Pride would have found a proper can for Punk to crush, and probably paid them to take a dive too just in case.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

ItohRespectArmy posted:

That's my purse! I don't know you!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
Heres my take from somebody who has worked shows with Punk before:

Lol

Lmao even

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

forkboy84 posted:

Art is a punchline becase of the one glove bit, but as far as I'm aware he was borderline top 10 Cruiserweight at one point.

Ultimately the one to blame for Punk's farcical MMA run is Dana White. He didn't belong in there with a guy with Gall's BJJ (IIRC, long time since I've been an MMA watcher) background, Gall was a well regarded prospect, Punk was a guy with a road worn body after 15 years pro wrestling who did a BJJ correspondence course. I don't doubt Punk would've preferred to have his MMA debut with the level of attention Batista or Bobby Lashley had but if you get a phone call offering you a lot of money to do something you were going to do anyway you probably say yes too.

Pride would have found a proper can for Punk to crush, and probably paid them to take a dive too just in case.

Punk ready for his first fight would have beaten Art Jimmerson as he was on the day of UFC 1 in under 2 minutes.

But Punk's second opponent was realistically worse than any PRIDE can.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Lamuella posted:

That's my purse! I don't know you!

Didn’t know you posted here, Kevin Kelly. Sorry you have to read so many negative posts about yourself, but we’d stop if you would just be better at your job.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Shard posted:

Rarity can I just say, I'm glad you're posting in here again :)

#thankyoucmpunk

Shush, much like John Cena you can't see me :ssh:

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

DogsInSpace! posted:

But you know who had a cool factor AND was a god in the ring? Samoa Joe. I know most here, even fans, dont think of Joe that way but like 2001 to like 2005 Samoa Joe was one the best in the ring and on the mic felt like the god of vengeance.

I got up to this point in your post and was like “maybe I am just high at the moment but Samoa Joe was the coolest motherfucker in ROH back in the day” and then you said Joe was the coolest motherfucker ever and I agree

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

MassRafTer posted:

Punk ready for his first fight would have beaten Art Jimmerson as he was on the day of UFC 1 in under 2 minutes.

But Punk's second opponent was realistically worse than any PRIDE can.

no way, jimmerson had actual force behind his punches. punk swings like i would

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Raskolnikov38 posted:

no way, jimmerson had actual force behind his punches. punk swings like i would

Punk punches irl the way I punch in my nightmares.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

TheKingslayer posted:

Seriously the exact same thing that I thought watching that video. Like punching a marshmallow in a pool of tar

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
signing cm punk to my e-fed

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Tarnop posted:

Seriously the exact same thing that I thought watching that video. Like punching a marshmallow in a pool of tar

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

TheKingslayer posted:

lmao

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
lots of noob itt talking poo poo about cm punk when cm punk could seriously injure them with a monitor with ease

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

lol

Goblin Queen
Mar 6, 2006

Goblin deez nuts amirite ladies?
What, you think it's EASY to choke out Jack Perry?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

:lmao:

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

someone make an updated version of the cm punk royal rumble rear end video but it’s zoomed in on his balls instead

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

post hole digger posted:

There's a civil war going on with Black people right now, and there's two sides,
                                                                                        /

lmao

i can hear the original in my memory as clearly as the dpw boys recall "DI--wreck-id-lee".

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Never understood the E-Feds where they used actual people as characters*. Make up your own, markshit.

* finding new and hilarious ways to abuse Michael Cole, Back Stage Interviewer is the exception

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Vengarr posted:

:lol:

Glad I didn’t know that at the time, it made his rear end kicking much funnier. Punk was pushed hard in the lead up to the fight and the storyline being sold was whether he could adapt to Gall’s striking. The promos didn’t mention he couldn’t grapple either.

It's worth noting Bryan Danielson was a backyarder too and he's the greatest of all time.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

SpeakSlow posted:

Never understood the E-Feds where they used actual people as characters*. Make up your own, markshit.

* finding new and hilarious ways to abuse Michael Cole, Back Stage Interviewer is the exception

punk invited himself

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
The worst thing about everyone here now seeing Punks mma fights it does make Tony Khan saying he feared for his life less believable than when Punk feared Nicholas and Matthew Buck were shooting on him.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
punk would have torn tony in half

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Lid posted:

The worst thing about everyone here now seeing Punks mma fights it does make Tony Khan saying he feared for his life less believable than when Punk feared Nicholas and Matthew Buck were shooting on him.

I would also fear for my life if two people were brawling in a room full of unwieldy production equipment and some of it fell around me :shrug: Heavy carts and monitors definitely can cause more damage than a Punk strike

it is very funny to think about him trying to do those punches on literally anyone though

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

punk would have torn tony in half

I hear he had Tony up for the shoot GTS until the big Hawaiian dude intervened :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
cm punk walking up to you in morrowind and punching you draining your stamina when your stamina is depleted you'll be sorry bitch