Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Gaius Marius posted:

That was never the link.

Yes, that is why I was asking about it, because I didn't clearly remember how the S-Link actually went. I wasn't suggesting that it was changed in Reload.

Edit: I guess I can see how it looked like I was complimenting a change, but in this case I was just happy that I had misremembered it as being even worse than it actually is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Man Kenji sucks so bad. I started to feel like my MC was a sociopath because I was feeding into his BS just to max out the social link instead of role-playing and slaging the poo poo out of him.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

Shoehead posted:

Man Kenji sucks so bad. I started to feel like my MC was a sociopath because I was feeding into his BS just to max out the social link instead of role-playing and slaging the poo poo out of him.

This is true for like, a lot of the P3 SLs though, like the Track guy.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Mishima is a much better execution of the broad concept. He's introduced in a context that makes him sympathetic, he provides sidequests that are a useful service, his Link benefits are some but always nice, and when he starts making questionable decisions the narrative calls him out on it and he changes of his own accord.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

ImpAtom posted:

They changed it. The third character is now a saleswoman trying to trick the trio into buying stuff

Wow, someone worth running away from

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Junpei posted:

Mishima is a much better execution of the broad concept. He's introduced in a context that makes him sympathetic, he provides sidequests that are a useful service, his Link benefits are some but always nice, and when he starts making questionable decisions the narrative calls him out on it and he changes of his own accord.

You can also say whatever you want to him and it doesn't matter because he automatically ranks up with each meeting.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I think the review I'm most fascinated by is the Polygon one, which is basically criticizing Reload for being stylish like Persona 5 instead of gritty and atmospheric like Persona 3, and all I can think of reading it is that I don't think that the reviewer actually played the original very recently. Just from the previews I can tell there's weaker elements of Reload's presentation for sure but OG Persona 3 isn't really a game with all that much "grit" or "atmosphere."

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I know exactly what that person is talking about and I agree with him

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

DanielCross posted:

This is true for like, a lot of the P3 SLs though, like the Track guy.
I felt the worst when max points involved encouraging a young child to run away from home to stop her parents from getting a divorce. At least the other teenagers making bad decisions were the same age as the protagonist, so boneheaded decisions were kinda theirs to make, but I felt the sociopath vibe the most with Maiko, who wasn't really equipped to make rational decisions at all.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

"My parents are dead and I turned out okay" - Makoto Yuuki to a young child

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Tired Moritz posted:

Wow, someone worth running away from

Unfortunately Persona 3 is set in "vaguely 2009 (really 2006)" so there's no chance she's hawking Bitcoin/NFTs.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Arist posted:

I think the review I'm most fascinated by is the Polygon one, which is basically criticizing Reload for being stylish like Persona 5 instead of gritty and atmospheric like Persona 3, and all I can think of reading it is that I don't think that the reviewer actually played the original very recently. Just from the previews I can tell there's weaker elements of Reload's presentation for sure but OG Persona 3 isn't really a game with all that much "grit" or "atmosphere."

Eurogamer had a similar sentiment

Speaking of, the remake's most immediately recognisable change is how it looks, as developer Atlus tries to emulate Persona 5's effortlessly stylish (verging on illegible) look. Reload succeeds in some areas, plastered with slick transitions, animated flourishes racing across the screen, and (again!) genuinely beautiful UI.

I'm unfortunately not as in love with the rest of the package's spruce-up. Reload replaces the original's polygonal edges for a shinier facelift that looks kinda like plastic at some points and seemingly doesn't include the finer details that made P5 feel like a moving firework trapped in the TV. The end result is stuck in an awkward middle-ground, not quite reaching P5 levels of eye candy and sacrificing the original's dour vibes for an upbeat sheen in the process.

[...]

Persona 3 Reload makes it easier than ever to enjoy a truly special game about young people coming to terms with universal anxieties. And in the end, it's still good because it's Persona 3, and Persona 3 is drat good. I'm unsure if Reload will be my go-to route to Gekkoukan High in the future, and for many it'll depend on how much tolerance you have for the original's Tartarus grind, but for me, the sometimes-jarring changes in presentation and mood (as well as omissions from previous editions) hold Persona 3 Reload back from being the way to experience Tatsumi Port Island's pleasures.

https://www.eurogamer.net/persona-3-reload-review

Maybe part of it is changes like this

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

See, that criticism actually makes sense and I kinda agree with it, Reload's got a bit of a weird look to it. The Polygon review just seemed to object to the game being more modern in a way that suggested to me they didn't have a great memory of the original.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Arist posted:

i would disagree with you extremely strenuously to the point where not only do I think 3 has a strong sense of atmosphere but it is literally carried by it. from what I've seen reload does not manage to capture the same atmosphere to the same degree but makes up for it by being a game that is less overtly hostile to the player and therefore does not require the atmosphere to be as strong as it was in the original to be worth playing.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i dont think id call persona 3 'gritty' but it definitely has a ton of atmosphere and vibes. the sickly green lighting all over the place and stuff

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I really don't know what you mean then, because, having finished P3 FES as recently as last week, that game's world feels supremely sterile from just about minute one. I especially got no "grit" from it, and I have trouble believing they even wanted me to considering the overworld music.

Legitimately, I'm having trouble thinking of any element of atmosphere in P3 that P4 doesn't do better just by adding, like, weather. I guess "Memories of the City" is a much better "endgame" track than "Omen"? But now I'm just thinking about how "Want to be Close" is like a twenty second loop and it drives me mad.

Endorph posted:

i dont think id call persona 3 'gritty' but it definitely has a ton of atmosphere and vibes. the sickly green lighting all over the place and stuff

I think the problem might be that the imagery of the Dark Hour feels extremely underutilized to me. You venture outside of Tartarus and see the coffins and blood only a handful of times.

e: Anyway, the crux of that criticism seemed targeted towards the UI, saying that making it stylish like Persona 5 detracts from the atmosphere of Persona 3, which I don't think holds much water.

Arist fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jan 31, 2024

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Arist posted:

having finished P3 FES as recently as last week,

Do you intended to play Reload right away?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I dunno, I'll probably start it at least. Ask me again next week.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Arist posted:

I really don't know what you mean then, because, having finished P3 FES as recently as last week,

you were supposed to play it as a depressed teenager in the late 2000s

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

cock hero flux posted:

I've got good news for you about my first playthrough of Persona 3 FES

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Arist posted:

I really don't know what you mean then, because, having finished P3 FES as recently as last week, that game's world feels supremely sterile from just about minute one.

thats the vibe being referred to

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
I was going to ask if I should play P3Reload or the original version, but I realize now that Reload won't be out for another couple of days.

I also realize that I need to play P4Golden, since I bought it on Steam at some point.

Why did the releases for the Persona games have to be such a mess?

Rinkles posted:

Maybe part of it is changes like this

Just going off this screenshot, it seems like the original is a bit more dynamic with the lighting (there's a lot more shadows), and the colors are a lot more muted, save for the player character. With Reload, the colors are more vivid, and everything's brighter, but it makes everything look kind of flat.

That said, I feel like there were a lot of PS2 games that felt kind of desaturated; not by design, but with something in how some games handled lighting.

EDIT: Actually, maybe it's not lighting. It could just be some other factor, like color output or something.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jan 31, 2024

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think P3R works better in the long run. While it is absolutely brighter to start with, it uses that for a sharper contrast with Tartarus and with the later part of the game where color gradually starts being leeched from the world. I think using the picture of the hallway is kind of a bad way to emphasize the difference between the two.

The Dorm is brighter but that fits better with the fact that you can actually interact with and spend time with people. It isn't the exact same atmosphere but P3 hasn't been afraid of changing the tone of the game. (P3P for example has the brighter pink and more cheerful lines for the female protagonist, in addition to having increased focus on spending time with dormmates, which is being carried over more to P3R)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jan 31, 2024

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I know that the Hang-Out Perks have 'expanding the range of actions that boost Theurgy' as one of them, do they follow a Standard Pattern for every party member bar Fuuka (bc Navigators Are Different)? Like, "Situation B where Theurgy gets boosted" then "auto-(Element) Amp" then "+5 to a Stat" then "+25 HP" then "+15 SP" or whatever

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Max Wilco posted:

That said, I feel like there were a lot of PS2 games that felt kind of desaturated; not by design, but with something in how some games handled lighting.

EDIT: Actually, maybe it's not lighting. It could just be some other factor, like color output or something.

I watched the DF review and yeah most of the scenes are contrasted this way. Maybe it was a mood thing, maybe it was because you generally are only there at night, and I'm sure a large part is just that it wasn't a 4k game with dynamic lighting in 2024. The PS2 dorm looked barely-lit all the time and Reload has it looking like a supermarket. The review footage only stood out so much because the combat looks insanely good and that includes the UI.

None of this really matters because I'll be burning my dread the second it unlocks. If someone comes out with a killer reshade setup, then I'll use that too.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Junpei posted:

I know that the Hang-Out Perks have 'expanding the range of actions that boost Theurgy' as one of them, do they follow a Standard Pattern for every party member bar Fuuka (bc Navigators Are Different)? Like, "Situation B where Theurgy gets boosted" then "auto-(Element) Amp" then "+5 to a Stat" then "+25 HP" then "+15 SP" or whatever

No, it's unique to each character and tied into the way their Theurgy builds. Yukari for example builds her Theurgy with healing spells so she gets reduced healing costs, Junpei builds more off crits so he gets more and stronger crits, Mitsuru builds more off inflicting status effects so she causes more damage to enemies inflicted with a badstat.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

The important question, can I still follow the regular Persona 3 guides or do I need to wait for a Reload specific one to maximize all the S-links in one go.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Harlock posted:

The important question, can I still follow the regular Persona 3 guides or do I need to wait for a Reload specific one to maximize all the S-links in one go.

Any previous guides are going to be out of date because there's a lot of new ways to gain social stats and S-links. A lot of the same basic tactics still work but some things have changed. (For example sleeping in class gives you Courage while staying awake is Academic) Likewise hangouts usually reward you with social stats.

That said: It is much, much, much easier to get a maxed-out Social Link list. Like to the point I'd say you really don't need a guide to do it. I came a hair within doing it myself and only failed because I lost track of dates when a character was available.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
yeah, if you can have platonic relationships with the romancable girls in P3R that's a huge amount of pressure off because you don't have to worry about the dating shuffle where each time you went on a date it reduced a hidden timer on every other girl where you had to talk to them every X days or they'd be angry so I think you basically needed a spreadsheet to keep them all happy.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

cock hero flux posted:

I was in senior year of college. I remember buying some weird little gadget that let me connect my PS2 to either my PC or my monitor (forget which) and played it on that. I remember it looking a little funny because PS2 games were not meant to be played on LCD monitors.

Vivid memory of feeling a bit of self-consciousness about playing my anime game, and then being like "whatever who cares."

I actually have more nostalgia for P4, despite playing it later (immediately after graduating college).

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

ImpAtom posted:

That said: It is much, much, much easier to get a maxed-out Social Link list. Like to the point I'd say you really don't need a guide to do it. I came a hair within doing it myself and only failed because I lost track of dates when a character was available.

Have they cut back/eliminated the requirements? The lame part about following a guide was having to spend the first 30 hours mashing through text while studying or working in a convenience store or whatever. Otherwise you wouldn't have a maxed stat by DD/MM and were screwed for some S-link unlock you never knew was coming.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mailer posted:

Have they cut back/eliminated the requirements? The lame part about following a guide was having to spend the first 30 hours mashing through text while studying or working in a convenience store or whatever. Otherwise you wouldn't have a maxed stat by DD/MM and were screwed for some S-link unlock you never knew was coming.

They have given you a lot more ways to raise your social stats in general, to the point I was wasting an absolute shitton of them because I had maxed out so early. They also give you more ways to level up social links, including one you can do it at night and works for all the S. Links. There's just a ton of options available to you that short of doing the summer break S.Links during the school year you should have more than enough time.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

YggiDee posted:

yeah, if you can have platonic relationships with the romancable girls in P3R that's a huge amount of pressure off because you don't have to worry about the dating shuffle where each time you went on a date it reduced a hidden timer on every other girl where you had to talk to them every X days or they'd be angry so I think you basically needed a spreadsheet to keep them all happy.

Didn’t that happen with all the s links in the original, there if you go like a month without doing anything with a link, it becomes reversed? Is that still a thing in P3R?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Male Social Links could be ignored for 90 days, female for 60 (and if you hung out with another girl after a certain point in one girl's Link that counter would depreciate by 15 days each time)

This was removed in Portable and I'd be shocked if it's in Reload

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Unlucky7 posted:

Didn’t that happen with all the s links in the original, there if you go like a month without doing anything with a link, it becomes reversed? Is that still a thing in P3R?

It's been removed entirely, yeah.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

i've read that it is now impossible to break links and you can only reverse them by taking the extreme dickhead dialogue options

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Lame and suckass!!

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Does anyone get Power Charge now other than Shinjiro?

Honestly might be easier if there’s a link to all the move set changes, gonna have to see if they fixed some other balance issues like Akihiko having a million things to do by himself.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Everyone asking stuff about P3R but no one asking the most important question of all

Does Legion still learn Sexy Dance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
ImpAtom I'm curious to know if they buffed the full moon shadows (and Strega) in this version. I always thought it was a really weird game balance decision that the full moon shadows (+ Strega) were always really talked up in advance, but when you fight them they were nearly always big pushovers that died in like 2 turns, while the palette swapped normal enemy mini-bosses in Tartarus were often much tougher. I always assumed it was done this way since you could only save at the dorm and Tartarus entrance in the original, but looks like you can save anywhere now.