Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

natcam.com or National Camera Exchange is a great Minnesota shop. I think their used prices are usually lower than some of the big ones and they have great service. A couple times each year they do a used sale with outstanding discounts. I believe there was one last January, so there might be one coming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Thanks for the link, I found a x100t on there for $700 shipped that seemed to beat every price I’ve seen it at. But I also just spent $700 in probably didn’t need to, so I guess gently caress you too? ;)

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news
whats the smart way to do filters (ideally without spending tons of money, it seems filters are hilariously expensive)?

is it to use a convertor ring and buy the biggest filter you'd need (although how does that work with lens hoods?), or to buy dedicated filters for each of the many lens diameters you have? (although this seems like a bit of a waste of money)

and which brands are good? ideally i'd like a ~4 stop and ~10 stop ND filter, circular polarizing, and maybe a black mist filter. (already have 2 of these in 52mm but obviously they don't fit on bigger lenses)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I've always taken the approach of buying whatever fits my biggest lens and use step up rings for everything else. Yes this will impact using a lens hood, but I never carry a hood anyways so it never bothers me.

I think screw on filters are the worst, they're always a pain to get threaded. Plate filters are relatively quick but it's a lot of junk bouncing around in the bag. Magnetic filters are getting very common now and are probably the best choice if you are okay with the price tag. Just be aware if you ever drop a magnetic filter or take it somewhere sandy and windy you will get grains stuck to it because it turns out iron is a very common element.

Nisi and Kase are my two favorite companies. I'd suggest staying away from breakthrough photography, in my experience they're prone to supply issues. Cokin and Lee are safe bets that have been around forever.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

If you go the route of one filter + step up rings, take a look at the H&Y revoring. It actually works very well.

Edit:
My cheat sheet

The MF list (because of Hasselblad's stupid Bay filters) is what one would deal with if they deal with step up rings. Keeping track of it all can get annoying. Of course you could permanently leave the step up rings on the lenses.

The LF list is what life with a revoring is like.

theHUNGERian fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jan 27, 2024

Zandi
Aug 7, 2003
www.nomadhonor.com
Howdy,

I have a pretty daft question. I'm currently using a Canon EOS 5D mk II, which I bought in 2009. It's finally starting to show its age, so I started looking around to see what the next step up would be. Not having upgraded in many years, I don't actually know much about cameras these days.

I was surprised to find out that there doesn't seem to be a direct successor, and that in general Canon hasn't released much recently.

I found the 5DS, which was apparently discontinued in 2020.

I guess the other next step is a Canon EOS R? Which has a lower resolution than the 5DS. And it is obviously a different mount, but generally the reviews say the adaptors are good, does anyone have any experience with them?

And then the R5 seems to be a huge leap in price.

I believe that I should stick with Canon (I have half a dozen EF lenses), but I'd be happy to hear I am wrong and adaptors for other manufacturers do not mess with image quality. And if that's the case, what camera would you recommend?

E: Location is Slovenia, so I can't get your amazing US/Japanese prices easily :)

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Zandi posted:

Howdy,

I have a pretty daft question. I'm currently using a Canon EOS 5D mk II, which I bought in 2009. It's finally starting to show its age, so I started looking around to see what the next step up would be. Not having upgraded in many years, I don't actually know much about cameras these days.

Around when Canon launched the 5D Mk IV the rumblings were starting about a proper mirrorless system, which became the RF mount camera series. Mirrorless cameras…well, they’re missing the mirrors from DSLRs, and use a small screen as the viewfinder instead of actual glass. It’s where all of the camera makers have shifted in recent years.

The Canon R was the first in the new lineup, but the R5 is the more direct continuation of the 5D in the lineup. There’s a Canon-made adapter for EF lenses available, they know a lot of pros out there will need that. Others here I believe have direct experience with the Canon RF cameras, but at least on paper they seem to be a nice continuation.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The R5 is very expensive but it's also a fantastic do it all camera. The R6 is great too, all the goodness of an R5 swapped to a crop sensor. All the other R bodies are valid options but choosing one of them turns into a matter of deciding exactly what you want and can live without.

EF lenses with the RF converter work flawlessly so you can keep your old lenses or upgrade as slowly as you like.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

If an R5ii comes out with the same excellent autofocus and other features that the R6ii has, I'm getting it

Also the R6 isn't a crop sensor. It's full frame, just fewer megapixels than the R5. And some people would say (according to reviews I have read) that the R6ii is better than the R5 in many ways, having faster AF and better features

blue squares fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Jan 30, 2024

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Oops, that's what I get for thinking I have specs memorized.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
The most budget-friendly full frame option is the RP, but the newer R8 does everything it does better. If you can live with APS-C there's also the R7 and R10.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

The current line up you'd probably be looking at is:

RP:
- 26mp full frame
- Second oldest RF camera, older sensor, AF system not as good as the newer cameras
- Still a good stills camera, but would probably look at the much newer R8, especially if you care at all about video

R10:
- 24mp crop sensor
- Newer, modern crop sensor with a very good modern AF system
- Fewer megapixels and high end features than the R7, but good value especially if you can get it on sale

R8:
- 24mp full frame, the same excellent sensor and AF system of the R6m2 in a barebones, much cheaper body
- Notably does NOT have: IBIS, weather sealing, dual cards, full mechanical shutter, or the newer better battery
- If you don't care about those features, and aren't primarily shooting birds, easily the best value

R7:
- 32mp crop sensor, DOES have all of the above features: IBIS, weather sealing, dual cards, full mechanical shutter, and the better batteries
- Better low light performance than most DSLRs, but not as good as the full frame mirrorless, better AF system as well but inconsistent compared to the full frames
- Crazy pixel density and fully featured, amazing bird camera for the price

R6m2:
- 24mp full frame, fully featured
- The newest of the top tier cameras, amazing AF system, crazy good low light performance
- Fantastic all around camera, excellent at everything, the only reason to spend more than this is if you want 45mp

R5:
- 45mp full frame, fully featured
- A few years old now, AF system is still very good but not as amazing or flexible as the R6m2
- Pricy but still probably their best camera if you aren't a professional sports photographer
- Can't speak to the prices in Slovenia, but in the US has been available at some major discounts recently, with the rumored R5m2 allegedly coming this year

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Yeah, the numbering is similar to the DSLR lineup but not quite the same.

R3 is the flagship sports stand-in for now.
R5 is the premium high resolution 35mm, closer to 5DS?
R6/R6 II is the premium standard resolution 35mm and sort of what the standard 5D was.
R8 is the entry-level 35mm which makes it more similar to the 6D.

The crop bodies are easier though.
R7 = 7D
R10 = X0D
R50 = X00D
R100 = Burning trash fire :v:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Love my R6 1 to death. R7 is a great second bod, the crop factor comes in handy for a lot of things, and it’s a killer video camera. R5 is really good, but unless you absolutely need the print capabilities, R6 is the best.

The R1 is coming soon and supposedly will have a global shutter which will be really interesting.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm stuck on the R5 because I am addicted to panoramics and I hate stitching images. And I'm not rich enough to convert to a Fuji GFX 100. We did get an R7 so my wife has something to do when I'm fussing with a tripod and it's an excellent camera too.

People poo on the R5's subject tracking and I guess technically it's not as good as the R6II but if one is coming from a DSLR, even the shittiest mirrorless is going to feel like magic.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Can’t believe no one has done in body pano stitching yet. We got focus stacking, give us pano already!

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Unless I'm misunderstanding what's meant by pano stitching, can't Fuji bodies do this? My X-T2 has a panorama drive mode

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Oh neat, looks like it does. The files are pretty small though compared to manual. Still cool.

I don’t ever do panos to get super wide views but to get much higher res shots of a scene, effectively increasing my sensor size to much larger than even medium format digital.

This one was 9 shots at 50mm in a 3x3 pattern.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jan 30, 2024

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Stitching does give perfectly fine results, I just really, really like being able to compose precisely when I'm out. Having to visualize how much data I need and hoping I feel the same way about composition when I get home on the computer is a big ask.

Way better for me to see the frame on the camera and get it all in one shot.

Where's my 3:1 sensor, sensor makers??

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Bottom Liner posted:

Oh neat, looks like it does. The files are pretty small though compared to manual. Still cool.

I don’t ever do panos to get super wide views but to get much higher res shots of a scene, effectively increasing my sensor size to much larger than even medium format digital.

This one was 9 shots at 50mm in a 3x3 pattern.

Ah Brenizer method, nice job

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

big scary monsters posted:

The most budget-friendly full frame option is the RP, but the newer R8 does everything it does better. If you can live with APS-C there's also the R7 and R10.

I'm just cranking the R

autofocus is the only thing of the newer ones I am really jealous of, and only because I know it's better, I don't actually have a problem with mine

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

All of us back here with ancient dslrs holding the horn up to our ear to hear you youngins

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Beve Stuscemi posted:

All of us back here with ancient dslrs holding the horn up to our ear to hear you youngins

It's all a big circle, because I'm a dumb idiot that loves the latest cameras and yet is prepping to get into medium format this year.

Zandi
Aug 7, 2003
www.nomadhonor.com
Great photo Bottom Liner, you can't tell it was stitched at all.

Thanks everyone, that helped me clarify a few things.

I think I'll try to keep the 5D limping along as long as I can, it's still an amazing camera and none of the possible upgrades seem to be a huge step up. Once it does die it looks like the R6 is the way to go.

I did see the GFX 100S and was briefly tempted, but then I would have to abstain from eating for a few years to actually be able to afford it.

How good are the adaptors between Canon EF and Fujifilm G? Has anyone used them?

As a sidenote this is the pricing for the GFX 100S (body only) across various regions, so you can see why it's worth for EU photographers to fly to the US to buy gear :)

US (bhphotovideo) $4,399.00 - 'Original' Price $5,999.00 - Instant Savings $1,600.00
Slovenia (fotolevac-shop.si): $6490 (€5999)
Japan (amazon.jp): $4470 (¥660,000)
UK (cliftoncameras.co.uk): $6.970,89 (£5,499.00)

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

jarlywarly posted:

Ah Brenizer method, nice job

Yeah sorta, but I try to keep it natural looking. Back around 2011ish I was in a small Flickr group with Ryan and a few others where we were experimenting with pushing that technique to extremes and we did some really stupid things like 70 shots at 135mm 1.8, creating really surreal 3d cutout looking portraits and multi GB files. I've settled on mostly doing 3 vertical frames stitched to a 4x5 or 1x1 ratio for portraits or 9 horizontal for landscapes, but some people still do the hyper exaggerated style.

I did this one yesterday, 3 vertical shots at 50mm, just to give a little bit more space in the frame but keep the same size subject relative to the camera. It has interesting effects on focal length not unlike anamorphic lenses.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Zandi posted:

I think I'll try to keep the 5D limping along as long as I can, it's still an amazing camera and none of the possible upgrades seem to be a huge step up. Once it does die it looks like the R6 is the way to go.

I guess it depends what you shoot but the AF on the new R bodies is a revelation, and I've found the exposure sim on viewfinder to be extremely useful as it takes all the guesswork out of photos in low, harsh or otherwise weird lighting.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Zandi posted:

What exactly bothers you about your 5D? Which aspect of it is feeling aged specifically?

I've got a bunch of 7D's, assorted Rebels, an RP, an R10, and an R5 for a grade school class. The Rebels are all mostly trash only suitable for training, but all of the rest have their place. The 7D's are from 2009 and definitely show their age, particularly with their inability to handle low light conditions, but there's something about them that just feels good. They are solidly built and well sealed. They autofocus quickly and almost always get it right, while the newer cameras seem like they overthink and often get it wrong. I've never handled a 5D mk II, but as a direct upgrade from the same year 7D, I suspect it shares a lot of that. You can really feel the quality of the tool, even if it lacks some of the modern features. But you really need a fast lens with the old cameras, or you get so much noise in photos with ISO levels that in the more modern cameras are nothing.

The RP is great for taking pictures of everyday stuff. It doesn't have the AF speed or burst speed of some of the newer cameras, but it is small, lightweight, and the controls aren't patronizing or simplified. It is configured like a higher end camera, and if you aren't doing sports or wildlife stuff, you'll love it.

The R10 feels like a super modern Rebel with the guardrails removed. It has features like silly filters to draw in amateurs who want to apply snapchat poo poo to the photos, which is... actually pretty fun. The autofocus isn't perfect, but it is quick. With all of the newer cameras, I often find myself doing area autofocus rather than face tracking or whatever, though, because they often don't get it right. Takes burst photos at very high speeds. Insanely lightweight. Feels like a toy. Would not take outside in any adverse conditions.

The R5 costs 3x-4x as much as the others. It really is in another league, though. If you go from a 5D to one of the lower end mirrorless cameras, you are going to notice the decline in build quality and weather sealing in a huge way. You'll notice it in the R5, too, but not as much. The R5 feels more like one of the older cameras. It feels like it might survive an impact or a drop of water, while the cheaper cameras feel like they're ready to shatter into a million pieces if you look at them wrong. The autofocus is fast and smart. You'll get a feel for its quirks and how to compensate for them, while something like the RP AF just feels like a continuous letdown. The image quality is insanely good in any conditions. It is incredibly customizable, and it has enough wheels and buttons to do whatever you want it to do however you want. The battery life is great. The dual memory cards are great. 8K video overheats it and will fill even an extremely large and expensive memory card in mere minutes, but what the gently caress are you going to do with 8K video anyway? I love the R5. An upgrade would have to be built like an older camera, AF with a bit more intelligence, and not overheat. If there's a mark II, you'll probably get two of three of those and it'll cost 4 or 5 thousand dollars.

litany of gulps fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jan 31, 2024

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

we did some really stupid things like 70 shots at 135mm 1.8, creating really surreal 3d cutout looking portraits and multi GB files.

I dug up one of those from 12 years ago, :lol: its so stupid and bad. Was a huge hit on Myspace though :v:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I spotted these a couple weeks back, and I know these early 5D/7Ds can be found real cheap, was batting around getting that 7D and finding a cheap-enough 70-200 L to make an economical sports shooting setup. Reading this thread now isn’t helping :ohdear:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

litany of gulps posted:

What exactly bothers you about your 5D? Which aspect of it is feeling aged specifically?

I've got a bunch of 7D's, assorted Rebels, an RP, an R10, and an R5 for a grade school class. The Rebels are all mostly trash only suitable for training, but all of the rest have their place. The 7D's are from 2009 and definitely show their age, particularly with their inability to handle low light conditions, but there's something about them that just feels good. They are solidly built and well sealed. They autofocus quickly and almost always get it right, while the newer cameras seem like they overthink and often get it wrong. I've never handled a 5D mk II, but as a direct upgrade from the same year 7D, I suspect it shares a lot of that. You can really feel the quality of the tool, even if it lacks some of the modern features. But you really need a fast lens with the old cameras, or you get so much noise in photos with ISO levels that in the more modern cameras are nothing.

The RP is great for taking pictures of everyday stuff. It doesn't have the AF speed or burst speed of some of the newer cameras, but it is small, lightweight, and the controls aren't patronizing or simplified. It is configured like a higher end camera, and if you aren't doing sports or wildlife stuff, you'll love it.

The R10 feels like a super modern Rebel with the guardrails removed. It has features like silly filters to draw in amateurs who want to apply snapchat poo poo to the photos, which is... actually pretty fun. The autofocus isn't perfect, but it is quick. With all of the newer cameras, I often find myself doing area autofocus rather than face tracking or whatever, though, because they often don't get it right. Takes burst photos at very high speeds. Insanely lightweight. Feels like a toy. Would not take outside in any adverse conditions.

The R5 costs 3x-4x as much as the others. It really is in another league, though. If you go from a 5D to one of the lower end mirrorless cameras, you are going to notice the decline in build quality and weather sealing in a huge way. You'll notice it in the R5, too, but not as much. The R5 feels more like one of the older cameras. It feels like it might survive an impact or a drop of water, while the cheaper cameras feel like they're ready to shatter into a million pieces if you look at them wrong. The autofocus is fast and smart. You'll get a feel for its quirks and how to compensate for them, while something like the RP AF just feels like a continuous letdown. The image quality is insanely good in any conditions. It is incredibly customizable, and it has enough wheels and buttons to do whatever you want it to do however you want. The battery life is great. The dual memory cards are great. 8K video overheats it and will fill even an extremely large and expensive memory card in mere minutes, but what the gently caress are you going to do with 8K video anyway? I love the R5. An upgrade would have to be built like an older camera, AF with a bit more intelligence, and not overheat. If there's a mark II, you'll probably get two of three of those and it'll cost 4 or 5 thousand dollars.

Have you handled an R

I get a vibe that the closest thing to a sequel to the R is the R5, although the R5 has gone further.

I just say this coz the R feels very substantial

I'd love an R6II, a lot of people are just like this is the best camera I have ever used.. but it'd feel slightly like a concession with a lower res. I spose that doesn't matter, I am hardly taking photos of anything worthwhile

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

The R was basically a beta for the first full gen of Canon mirrorless. My partner got one but we stuck with DSLRs for weddings until we got the R5 and R6 because that felt like the actual massive jump forward in every way without some of the issues of the R and RP. The R6 II is by far the best choice at the moment unless you absolutely need massive prints or heavy cropping for like wildlife photos. Megapixels after a certain point are near meaningless, especially if they come at the expense of low light and autofocus performance, which is why all the top flagship bodies like the R3 and Sony A9 III are mid-MP count bodies, it lets them maximize the other features easier. The much smaller files also add up big time, especially when you have 2-5k photos from a single gig. If you're just doing portrait sessions and not printing giant 6 ft prints, I promise 20mp bodies aren't lacking at all, especially in all the ways it would be an improvement over the R you are already happy with.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
yeah the way people describe that camera makes me really want the gently caress out of it, and you're probably right about the mp too

just absolutely no way I can justify it, seeing as it's just a hobby. unless there is a feature to raise the blacks in body, in which case I could always sell a kidney

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

harperdc posted:

I spotted these a couple weeks back, and I know these early 5D/7Ds can be found real cheap, was batting around getting that 7D and finding a cheap-enough 70-200 L to make an economical sports shooting setup. Reading this thread now isn’t helping :ohdear:

As a 5D Classic-haver, I highly recommend it. Full-frame and pro-build quality at entry level used DSLR pricing? Yes please.

Also, I cant speak to the 7D, but the sensor in the 5D is wonderful.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

There's a reason that body has a cult following while the mark ii onward didn't. The 5d Classic puts out the best looking files Canon has ever had in the right conditions. You need good light and the autofocus is extremely basic, but that sensor was magic. The mark ii+ never looked as good despite having much better ISO performance, etc.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Yeah, I spotted that as well (and because I’ve seen the 5D Classic usage in here recently too) but was thinking 7D for sports use because that’s what my Fuji does badly.

I’m also deciding if I want to do that or go find an X-Pro1 instead for similar “magic old sensor” fun.

Zandi
Aug 7, 2003
www.nomadhonor.com

litany of gulps posted:

Thanks a lot for writing that out, it's certainly given me a lot to think about. I guess my next step should be to try a 'gear loan' place, to actually try some of these newfangled devices people trot around these days :)

To answer your question, the mirror has started to lock up, first in colder temperatures only, and then it just got stuck completely. I had it replaced last year (for 300 euros), and I don't want to keep having it fixed every year for that much, when it coudl be going towards a new camera.

Other than that everything is working relatively well, there's some dust on the sensor that I (and a professional cleaning) can't get rid of, but photoshop can so that's ok.

Also, very fair point about the MPs, definitely thinking harder about the R5 now :)

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

harperdc posted:

when I got my R I let my son use my 7D

and he’s lost it

just no idea where the camera or bag it’s in is

I had also given him (xmas) something like a 550D to use which he did until I let him use the 7D and that’s gone too

☹️

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
For what it's worth, I have an R and an R5, and IMO the R is still a perfectly good camera, and it would probably still feel like an upgrade over a 5D2 (other than losing the thumbstick for moving your AF point). And I'm guessing you can probably find them fairly cheap used now that there's so many other full-frame RF options.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

All of the Canon mirrorless bodies can be had dirt cheap. R6 1 and R5 were available from official canon refurbs for about 1k and 2k respectively, which is nuts. Includes full warranty too.

Also, if you ever buy straight from canon you can get a 10-20% discount from the loyalty program if you previously bought a Canon. It’s pretty easy, I think you just register your serial or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I'm in a bit of a unique position. I have inherited an M10, body only. I'm not much of a photographer but not going to sell it and would like to learn to use it properly. To start I'm looking at getting a reasonable lens - it looks like the voigtlander nokton or ultron 35mm is a good start? I assume either one is ok?