Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Interesting post about the Lilith fight:

https://old.reddit.com/r/diablo4/comments/1aek4ya/instead_of_fixing_uber_lilith_ph2_mechanics_are/

Sounds like Blizzard took away the ability to cheese it but didn't fix any of the issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
I'm having a terrible time getting started in this season.

I understand I'm supposed to be doing vaults, but I don't know how to get into them.

https://imgur.com/a/nCodeoB

Where is the vault and how do I enter it?

Yes I'm a filthy casual, I know :)

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Mayveena posted:

I understand I'm supposed to be doing vaults, but I don't know how to get into them.

There are a bunch of enemies you have to kill before it will let you in the vault. Try walking around the green quest area.

If you killed everything, then it might be a bug and you can log out and then go back and try again.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

OK thanks, hadn't thought of that. OMW to casual greatness now! :)

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Mayveena posted:

OK thanks, hadn't thought of that. OMW to casual greatness now! :)

Here's the location marked on my map

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

OK I kill things fast enough now that I stand a reasonably good chance of not immediately dying and my fun has improved 1000%

Hit Man
Mar 6, 2008

I hope after I die people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

Mayveena posted:

Don't run to them via the world map. The Gatehall (town from the quest line) has all 5 you enter

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008

Mebh posted:

Tier 90 plus vaults dropping pure 925 gear is really interesting. I can clear them reliably now with my druid and it's made it so utterly clear that doing anything else is a complete waste of time.

When you trash 8 full inventories of 925 gear after a few runs just looking for 3/4 decent stats to upgrade a 830 neck I've had since I first got to WT4 it's somewhat maddening.

I blew all my boss mats last night for a couple of duriel kills, cleared the season journey up to the last tier where it says kill duriel 3 more times and just went...nah. I'm good.

Still the same base issue of fun core content followed by inventory management and carefully looking at each slot when I'd much rather be smashing demons.

It's nice not having another axis to look at with ilvl, but nuts how the rng is so wild you still barely see anything. I'm 15 90 plus clears without a single upgrade.

I did get 3 of the same uniquw necklaces that make me able to make a druid hammer boulderdin tho...so that's next up to try!

Same boat. Well, I'm not at tier 90, but on the last stage of the season journey and junking every inventory full of loot. Ah well, there's the season done in a week.

Overall, the season was fine. Vaults aren't anything to write home about, but it was good to have a change from NMDs. I like how speedy the fixed layout made it and the final room is way better than fighting a boss. The spider isn't flashy but some of its abilities are very good and the barrier filled a hole in my build (pen rogue). I would like seasons to have more meat to them, but the base game itself needs more meat to it first. If they're really doing a loot overhaul in season 4, that's great and definitely is my #1 priority, even before adding more stuff to do.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Hit Man posted:

Don't run to them via the world map. The Gatehall (town from the quest line) has all 5 you enter

I got 1 and then nothing. There's a nearly blank map and that's about it. I'm sure I missed something somewhere, but I don't know what. Thanks for all the help and maybe one day I'll get to actually start. My barb is level 15.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

poop chute posted:

What's the hot tip for power leveling and gearing?

Disclaimer, there are better and more efficient ways to get to 50, but they are things like "run Dopamine Tunnel for 2 hours" which I would rather just not do. So this isn't the literal fastest, but it should get you there real quick, especially compared to past seasons.

From 1 to 50, I recommend World Tier 2 since we're powerful enough to clear content at the same speed as WT1

The seasonal questline should get you to about level 30. From 31 to 50, you should have two goals
1. Clear the dungeons that will unlock codex abilities for your endgame build
2. Do activities that give Whispers

Under level 50, the best source of XP is the tree of whispers, so anything that gives whispers is way more XP/minute than it seems. Don't bother with stuff like 'walk across the map to do a cellar for 1 whisper', but whisper Dungeons, the Arcane Tremor Zone every hour, World Bosses, or even an open world area with overlapping whispers (eg., kill 50 skeletons and harvest 100 motes from dead enemies and also summon a Boss to kill it). All very good options.

I don't bother with the WT2->3 capstone until level 50 because WT3 is slow when you're underleveled. But once you do that, do an Arcane Tremor zone for 15 minutes to rain Sacreds all over you. Once you have a Sacred mainhand weapon, you're ready to crush WT3.

The Arcane Tremor Zone (for whispers, once an hour) is really good, and do every World Boss that pops up, and doing a quick bigboss kill + blood extract in the pvp zone is also excellent XP + whispers. When there aren't any good whisper options up, NMDs and especially NMVaults are the best activity to do.

I don't bother with Helltides until WT4. You only spend a couple hours in WT3, and finding hellcinders is much slower when your build isn't online yet.

Same with the above, at level 70 I do the WT3->4 capstone since it's really slow to actually play in WT4 when you're low level.

Tiny Timbs posted:

Interesting post about the Lilith fight:

https://old.reddit.com/r/diablo4/comments/1aek4ya/instead_of_fixing_uber_lilith_ph2_mechanics_are/

Sounds like Blizzard took away the ability to cheese it but didn't fix any of the issues.

There's no shame in asking for a Carry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxXP1tORBZQ

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Limited time event on Feb 6th-20th

https://youtu.be/N9wVz2yacDg?si=UaA6HVhkLIE3AbT2

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

gently caress yessssssss, gimme them red envelopes

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Mayveena posted:

I got 1 and then nothing. There's a nearly blank map and that's about it. I'm sure I missed something somewhere, but I don't know what. Thanks for all the help and maybe one day I'll get to actually start. My barb is level 15.

The portals to the vaults don't appear in the Gate hall until after you've finished them. The season quest is going to take you on a tour of the zones, each one has a vault entrance in the overworld. After you complete the Scosglen vault it should bring you to Gatehall for the next step which is to use the brazier there to upgrade the pet

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
New patch:

tl;dr:

- Most robot skills had their effect increased by 30 to 60 percent.

- Vampiric and Suppressor affixes nerfed (Vampiric heals the mob for half as much and Suppressor turns on and off instead of always being on).

- Reworked the layouts of several dungeons to create less backtracking.

- NM Dungeon and Vault Sigils now show the monster level on them.

- A bunch of bug fixes for the seasonal quest line.

https://news.blizzard.com/en-us/diablo4/23964909/diablo-iv-patch-notes

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010
So if the Lunar event ends the 20th, do we get the Gauntlet after this?

One day before Last Epoch 1.0 releases?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Fixed an issue where Whirlwind could channel and stay in place when using keyboard navigation or in certain circumstances when using a controller.

eat poo poo, Rob !!!!

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

Mebh posted:

When you trash 8 full inventories of 925 gear after a few runs just looking for 3/4 decent stats to upgrade a 830 neck I've had since I first got to WT4 it's somewhat maddening.

Still the same base issue of fun core content followed by inventory management and carefully looking at each slot when I'd much rather be smashing demons.

It's nice not having another axis to look at with ilvl, but nuts how the rng is so wild you still barely see anything. I'm 15 90 plus clears without a single upgrade.

not as a defense of a bad system, but i find it much easier to do inventory management the higher level my character is. outside of needing 925 ilvl armor last season and only then for AoZ, ilvl was more or less already ignorable.

you only need ~820 ilvl now for jewelry and armor for the rolls to be able to be perfect. so that 830 amulet, were it not a 2/4 or whatever, would otherwise be identical to a 925. the armor difference between 820 and 925 armor now doesn't matter for monster level 154 content, especially with the juggernaut aspect they added

personally once i have a 2/4 ancestral, i stop looking for perfect rolls of the stats i want and instead look for volume that is, a 4/4 (or 3/4 rerolled to 4/4) will generally be more impactful than a 2/4 with 2 perfectly rolled stats or even a 3/4 with above average rolls.

so in addition to ignoring ilvl basically as soon as you hit WT4 (outside of weapons) i also filter on other must-haves to quickly knock a slot out. a helm must have cdr, rerolling into cdr takes too many souls on average to justify it, so it has to be there natively. and that's the same for all the must haves, gloves with 4/4 core skill rank, neck with 3/3 passive skill, boots must have innate evade charges and move speed.

also once you're at 2/4 you can generally start ignoring some slots altogether because you're going to wind up with a unique in it. tempest roar for drugs, for instance. or you might find you want to ignore certain weapon types, maybe ball sorc doesn't use a staff so all of them get trashed

it's not good or fun, but my inventory management as a % of time played plummets as i get closer to 100 and only goes down from there

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

New patch:

tl;dr:

- Most robot skills had their effect increased by 30 to 60 percent.

- Vampiric and Suppressor affixes nerfed (Vampiric heals the mob for half as much and Suppressor turns on and off instead of always being on).

- Reworked the layouts of several dungeons to create less backtracking.

- NM Dungeon and Vault Sigils now show the monster level on them.

- A bunch of bug fixes for the seasonal quest line.

https://news.blizzard.com/en-us/diablo4/23964909/diablo-iv-patch-notes

"Nightmare Dungeon Sigils will now display the levels that monster will be for the Sigil's Tier."

Great, no more "half your age + 7" calculations

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
Fixed an issue where Son of Malphas could be damaged by traps, which could lead to players first encountering him with low health.

-but not all the other monsters???

Fixed an issue where Bloodmarked could not be cleansed if it was applied while mounted.

-this has been around since prerelease. it is what you could use to invite players to your party and force them to become bloodmarked without the normal popup warning them about it. good QoL and bug fix in one

Fixed an issue where the Sorcerer's Incinerate skill didn't have additional visual effects when cast with 10+ Ranks.

-remember when this was hyped up before release?

Fixed an issue where the notification for new Cosmetics in the Stable wouldn't disappear.

-not the biggest change, but i hate all the attention economy notification stuff in this game, i'm glad they've addressed this one. maybe they'll do the shop next (lmao notabug wontfix)

Fixed an issue where Harlequin Crest was the wrong color when equipped.

-omg is it that weird green color now??

Mebh
May 10, 2010

harrygomm posted:

personally once i have a 2/4 ancestral, i stop looking for perfect rolls of the stats i want and instead look for volume that is, a 4/4 (or 3/4 rerolled to 4/4) will generally be more impactful than a 2/4 with 2 perfectly rolled stats or even a 3/4 with above average roll

This is the problem I have. I basically don't look for good rolls of the individual stats at all. I've never even got that far before completing all the non Uber Lilith season content. At most I get 2/4 with a few 3/4 pieces.

For ARPGs I usually set myself a personal goal of trivializing a certain content tier before I'm done in any given season. E.g. clear NM 100 easily, or do a certain map level in PoE etc. I can get to the point where I can just about clear cap content fairly easily but to progress past that, the pacing and the fact that it's pure RNG feels totally off.

After an evening of getting unlucky where 50 percent is spent in town, alt tabbing to a spreadsheet every few seconds going "wait was it damage vs vulnerable or damage to nearest that scaled multiplicatively?" I just spend longer and longer between each run until I give up and go watch a movie or something.

In D3 you had numerous ways to target farm specifics, from upgrading rares and kadala to even the free crafted primal ancient later in the seasons.

You'd do a few runs, come back and sink all your currency, see if you got *thing* in a few seconds then go out and do it again.

Maybe it's fine and I'm just a nerd who plays too many games, but I do really like this game and want it to be better. The systems that came before from many of their other titles showed this to be possible and it's incredibly frustrating.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
ooo that reminds me that they added Uber Unique transmogs. Gotta salvage my old Shako so my level 1s can be looking fresh for all time

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

Mebh posted:

This is the problem I have. I basically don't look for good rolls of the individual stats at all. I've never even got that far before completing all the non Uber Lilith season content. At most I get 2/4 with a few 3/4 pieces.

For ARPGs I usually set myself a personal goal of trivializing a certain content tier before I'm done in any given season. E.g. clear NM 100 easily, or do a certain map level in PoE etc. I can get to the point where I can just about clear cap content fairly easily but to progress past that, the pacing and the fact that it's pure RNG feels totally off.

After an evening of getting unlucky where 50 percent is spent in town, alt tabbing to a spreadsheet every few seconds going "wait was it damage vs vulnerable or damage to nearest that scaled multiplicatively?" I just spend longer and longer between each run until I give up and go watch a movie or something.

In D3 you had numerous ways to target farm specifics, from upgrading rares and kadala to even the free crafted primal ancient later in the seasons.

You'd do a few runs, come back and sink all your currency, see if you got *thing* in a few seconds then go out and do it again.

Maybe it's fine and I'm just a nerd who plays too many games, but I do really like this game and want it to be better. The systems that came before from many of their other titles showed this to be possible and it's incredibly frustrating.

in S1 in particular i went hard in the other direction, trying to get perfect 1/4 then perfect 2/4. it was dumb and miserable. and yeah i still play too much too

Good Bones as they say

Jaytan
Dec 14, 2003

Childhood enlistment means fewer birthdays to remember
Tier 90+ vaults dropping only 925 items owns. Pity filtering loot is still tedious as hell. Double pity that vaults regularly fill your inventory part way through, and teleporting out wipes your charges.

Is there a Druid build that excels at blasting uber bosses? My lightning hippie crushes vaults of any level, but I had to port out of Uber malphas (playing hardcore) because I wasn’t good enough at dodging relative to how quickly he died.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

lagidnam posted:

So if the Lunar event ends the 20th, do we get the Gauntlet after this?

One day before Last Epoch 1.0 releases?

That's just how moat companies do seasonal content. By dropping additional poo poo right on their competitions releases. It works when the game is already quite successful, but lol

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
D4's been out for like 8 months now. That's a lot of game releases ago. Seems like it can co-exist with new releases just fine!

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Do you just need 750 cinders for the 10 HT chest season journey or do you run out of 75's and need to open more expensive ones?

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

bamhand posted:

Do you just need 750 cinders for the 10 HT chest season journey or do you run out of 75's and need to open more expensive ones?

i think it's random how many of each kind spawn. perry sure you can comfortably hit 10x75 in the maps that cover 3 zones, like the far bottom left helltide

i do know it didn't unlock for me in WT3 (nor the open 6 different chest types one) if you're stuck before WT4 still

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

bamhand posted:

Just hit em as you get the cinders. You can get more than enough cinders for whatever.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Holy lol, I had not noticed that this season's free outfits are pimp core

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
i find myself out of paletongue all the time for death evasion potions because there is so little content with bandits or church people. anyone got any hot tips where i can clear a few dozen tongues easily?

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

harrygomm posted:

i find myself out of paletongue all the time for death evasion potions because there is so little content with bandits or church people. anyone got any hot tips where i can clear a few dozen tongues easily?

There are a few HTs that overlap with a ton of bandits

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Nobody noticed incinerate not changing graphically because nobody uses it lol, what a bad skill

Just copy d3 disintegrate it's right there

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Running through Charnel House or Halls of the Damned always nets me a few tongues. Not the most efficient, but they're there.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Hit Man posted:

Goddammit, I thought there were some vaults in the Gatehall and some extra vaults that could have Whispers that you had to go out into the world for.
(thanks)

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

the Arcane Tremor Zone every hour,

What is this referring to? I don't think I've ever seen an Arcane Tremor on the world map.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

~Coxy posted:

What is this referring to? I don't think I've ever seen an Arcane Tremor on the world map.

Are you still doing the seasonal quest line? Have you defeated Malphas?

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008

~Coxy posted:

It cycles through 3 zones and gives the whisper quests for killing malphus, hitting 3 obelisks, and killing X constructs. All of this is very easy and fast meaning you get a full whispers bar in like 2 minutes.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
butcher just whipped my rear end in the first t4 vault i tried to do lol, still finished though

i really like the look of the ash knight armor in the shop but i'm not paying 25 american loving dollars to have fire for hair in a seventy dollar game

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

ultrachrist posted:

It cycles through 3 zones and gives the whisper quests for killing malphus, hitting 3 obelisks, and killing X constructs. All of this is very easy and fast meaning you get a full whispers bar in like 2 minutes.

Oh, right, thanks.

I have been doing those Whispers, I just didn't know that the flavour event that made them all appear in a zone was called an Arcane Tremor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Trap rogue: fun

I think one of my favorite things in this game so far is doing the unlock t3 capstone dungeon in the mid 40s. Feels good.