Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Rinkles posted:

I mean Epic having the means to quickly divert resources to capitalize on an emerging sensation in a polished F2P form certainly helped. Fortnite I think might be the closest thing to an example of a synthetic hit.

What? Fortnite was not polished when it came out. It was very, very rough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I said come in! posted:

The next GaaS dumpster fire is Skull & Bones, on February 16.

This one is gonna end with a court case with Singapore.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Mr Hootington posted:

What? Fortnite was not polished when it came out. It was very, very rough.

I thought that very quickly improved, but you can ignore that bit.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rinkles posted:

I mean Epic having the means to quickly divert resources to capitalize on an emerging sensation in a polished F2P form certainly helped. Fortnite I think might be the closest thing to an example of a synthetic hit.

Fortnite absolutely wasn't that though. Fortnite was intended as a character-based horde shooter with building elements. They threw in the knockoff mode because it was relatively easy to do (other developers tried doing the same thing around the same time period.) It just happened that "F2P PubG" was exactly what people wanted at that exact point in time and the fact that it was tied to a completely different game that they spent the next 2 years gradually cutting away just happened to be luck.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Shard posted:

Yeah I would be surprised if UBISoft isn't in deep poo poo over this one.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
We've all noticed a lot of them release in incomplete/lovely states as well (Redfall) which just immediately tanks them and whoops you just lit the entire dev budget on fire it's bad and everyone knows it now- maybe should have waited a few more months or something so you could release something that at least wasn't so transparently a piece of poo poo when everyone else is also hysterically knocking one another out of the way in the GaaS goldrush

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

ImpAtom posted:

Fortnite absolutely wasn't that though. Fortnite was intended as a character-based horde shooter with building elements. They threw in the knockoff mode because it was relatively easy to do (other developers tried doing the same thing around the same time period.) It just happened that "F2P PubG" was exactly what people wanted at that exact point in time and the fact that it was tied to a completely different game that they spent the next 2 years gradually cutting away just happened to be luck.

I know about Fortnite’s origins. My point was that what Epic did was an example of successful trend chasing. It just took a lot of money, and a quick reaction time. And yeah also a lot of luck.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

is there a thread for the new suicide squad game? curious what people who are now actually playing it think

I stand corrected. Some poster in BSS dropped at least a $100 to play it today.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Shard posted:

I said come in! posted:

Yeah I would be surprised if UBISoft isn't in deep poo poo over this one.

How's this?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Infinitum posted:

How's this?

Development was funded entirely by Singapore to the tune of $180 million dollars.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Rinkles posted:

I know about Fortnite’s origins. My point was that what Epic did was an example of successful trend chasing. It just took a lot of money, and a quick reaction time. And yeah also a lot of luck.

I doubt it took a lot of money, they said developing the mode took about 2 months initially. The huge money investments came after its initial success when they began to reinvest in it.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

I’d do anything Singapore would want me to for a measly million dollars

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1752453312715313640?s=20

Spec Ops The Line has been delisted from online storefronts due to likely expired music licenses, and 2K does not sound like they intend to renew them.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Spec Ops The :filez:

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Gonna add it to my steam profile showcase that's entirely just delisted games like Dark Souls Prepare to Die, Cart Life, Dawn of Discovery, Alan Wake...

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

Propaganda Hour posted:

Gonna add it to my steam profile showcase that's entirely just delisted games like Dark Souls Prepare to Die, Cart Life, Dawn of Discovery, Alan Wake...

Cart Life might be coming back in a new form, actually: https://store.steampowered.com/app/2324660/Cart_Life/

Can't wait to try to subsist on granola bars while getting screwed by the man!

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

took the bread and the lamb spread
Lipstick Apathy

From over 10 pages ago, but I just wanted you to know that I appreciated this joke.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Infinitum posted:

How's this?

Ubisoft was contracted and funded by Singapore to make the game, with the idea that them opening up a big studio in Singapore would create new jobs there. And it did, but Ubisoft used it as a vacation spot and all the top positions are filled with French Ubisoft employees while they only hired locally for lower and lesser paid positions. Also they basically didn't actually develop the game for years until the local officials started putting more pressure on them. And there is a very good chance that if it doesn't make enough money back, Singapore is gonna want their portion back one way or another.

This lays it all out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BoyT6HjwPc

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

^^ Cheers, will check out.

Alright Castlenerds, here's what I'm planning on playing. Basically the series in release order, and the best versions of the games if possible.

Castlevania (NES)
Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
Castlevania: The Adventure Rebirth (WiiWare)
Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
Castlevania II: Belmont's Revenge (GB)
Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Castlevania: Rondo of Blood (TurboGrafx-16 CD)
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1)
Castlevania: Legends (GB)
Castlevania (N64)
Castlevania: Circle of the Moon (GBA)
Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA)
Castlevania: Lamant of Innocence (PS2)
Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow (NDS)
Castlevania: Curse of Darkness (PS2)
Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (NDS)
Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow – Mirror of Fate (3DS)

Only one I'm not sure about is Legacy of Darkness on the N64. Maybe just one of them is fine?

Lords of Shadow 1+2 for the PS3 I'll likely play on my PC afterwards, but the rest I can play on handhelds.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Why isn't there a randomizer to combine all of the Castlevania into one mega castle.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The Japanese version of 3 has better music and more forgiving checkpoints if that stuff matters to you

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Why was the music changed?

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!

Infinitum posted:

^^ Cheers, will check out.

Alright Castlenerds, here's what I'm planning on playing. Basically the series in release order, and the best versions of the games if possible.

Castlevania (NES)
Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
Castlevania: The Adventure Rebirth (WiiWare)
Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
Castlevania II: Belmont's Revenge (GB)
Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Castlevania: Rondo of Blood (TurboGrafx-16 CD)
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1)
Castlevania: Legends (GB)
Castlevania (N64)
Castlevania: Circle of the Moon (GBA)
Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA)
Castlevania: Lamant of Innocence (PS2)
Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow (NDS)
Castlevania: Curse of Darkness (PS2)
Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (NDS)
Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow – Mirror of Fate (3DS)

Only one I'm not sure about is Legacy of Darkness on the N64. Maybe just one of them is fine?

Lords of Shadow 1+2 for the PS3 I'll likely play on my PC afterwards, but the rest I can play on handhelds.

Go for Legacy of Darkness instead. The gameplay is improved over 64 and you can unlock the characters from it and play though their story, though it does lack the voice acting from 64.

Khanstant posted:

The Japanese cartridge has a special sound chip that the US version didn't have.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

hatty posted:

The Japanese version of 3 has better music and more forgiving checkpoints if that stuff matters to you

yeah absolutely play the jp version of cv3. The dificulty changes are relatively minor, but the music is much better in jp

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Khanstant posted:

The japanese version had a custom chip on the cartridge just to handle the music. I don't know the details, but producing that chip for the NA release wasn't feasible for some reason.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Khanstant posted:

iirc the japanese release included extra sound hardware on the cartridge, sunsoft-style, which was removed from the overseas release for cost-saving reasons

e: f;b

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Japanese 3 + Legacy of Darkness it is :toot:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I've begun to hear a lot of chatter about the sound chip exclusive to the Japanese cartridge. Wonder how the markets will respond.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

hatty posted:

It's also got the unnerfed Grant, who tosses knives instead of being limited to stabbing right in front of his face with his pigsticker.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

The japanese version had a custom chip on the cartridge just to handle the music. I don't know the details, but producing that chip for the NA release wasn't feasible for some reason.
the audio passes through the cartridge slot in the famicom, so carts can mix their own audio in before it goes off to the tv. the nes for some asinine reason removed those pins and put them on the expansion port on the bottom instead. with a flash cart and an expansion board you can get the good audio on a nes but otherwise its impossible

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Started up with the Witcher 3 finally and I'm enjoying it so far.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Lawman 0 posted:

Started up with the Witcher 3 finally and I'm enjoying it so far.

Do heart of stone dlc in the middle and wine and blood absolutely last

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah, Blood and Wine is the perfect capstone to the trilogy, that final shot of Geralt and Yen contemplating a peaceful retirement on Geralt's countryside estate is :kiss:

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Yen? Sounds like you made a wrong move somewhere

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Gaius Marius posted:

in geralt voice: hmmm

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Shard posted:

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Rinkles posted:

and also aggressively targeting children to get them to spend their parents money

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Cope

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Shard posted:

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Gaius Marius posted:

Hey, if you went with Triss instead, that's fine even if I don't understand it. After all...