Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which season of Doctor Who should get a Blu-ray set next?
This poll is closed.
One of the black-and-white seasons 16 29.63%
Season 7 7 12.96%
Season 11 1 1.85%
Season 13 0 0%
Season 15 2 3.70%
The Key to Time 21 38.89%
Season 21 0 0%
Season 25 7 12.96%
Total: 54 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

A.o.D. posted:

Big finish productions aren't universally accessible, so I hope you'll forgive me for not knowing what any particular audio play has done.

It's a UNIT style story with the 7th Doctor and a mysterious future Doctor who turns out to be a new Master. The doctor is largely displaced from the contemporary England narrative and the Master fills his role, getting chummy with UNIT's staff, saving lives, and being clever. At the end, it's observed that the Master seemed genuinely happier pretending to be the Doctor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I forget, was that the McQueen Master's first appearance, or did he appear opposite McGann first?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Gaz-L posted:

I forget, was that the McQueen Master's first appearance, or did he appear opposite McGann first?

First.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

It was also only the second appearance from the Master in Big Finish in 9 years. not the FIRST - that was in a 4DA, so they could advertise it and keep Dominion on the down-low. It's a genuine twist, which is why I still spoiler tag it 12 years later.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I think the unfortunate thing about that story is that there's basically nothing else going for it, which is why it's pretty much only talked about in terms of the spoiler content. And it's super long! And super visual! On radio!

Like I said, I don't like it.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I think the material with Good!Klein and how that all relates to the twist is really good but I agree with that criticism otherwise.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
LMAO at the Doctor taking out a book that says "Tibetan " and then going "Oh its in Tibetan" then immediately taking out a book that says "How to learn Tibetan". The Creature in the Pit is pretty drat good.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Hollismason posted:

LMAO at the Doctor taking out a book that says "Tibetan " and then going "Oh its in Tibetan" then immediately taking out a book that says "How to learn Tibetan". The Creature in the Pit is pretty drat good.

"They call it... The Pit."

It's actually a pretty decent story, with a good villain performance and some great gags. And the plot's crisis being sourced in resource scarcity is pretty unusual for the series.

It, and the next story, are underappreciated IMO.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Open Source Idiom posted:

"They call it... The Pit."

It's actually a pretty decent story, with a good villain performance and some great gags. And the plot's crisis being sourced in resource scarcity is pretty unusual for the series.

It, and the next story, are underappreciated IMO.

Yeah it wasn't amazing but I did appreciate the solution at the end where they use the TARDIS as what it is which is also kind of a spacecraft. I always like when that happens where its not just a time machine it also flies in space and has all kinds of abilities.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Also, the Doctor sucks the Creature off on-screen.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Open Source Idiom posted:

I think the unfortunate thing about that story is that there's basically nothing else going for it, which is why it's pretty much only talked about in terms of the spoiler content. And it's super long! And super visual! On radio!

Like I said, I don't like it.

I kind of agree but that one performance makes it worth at least one listen I think. He's having such a good time with it!

And yeah, what DoctorWhat said about Klein, she's always been one of Big Finish's more interesting creations so I'm always happy to see her, in any incarnation.

Oh and having Raine in there as well, that's fun and weird in a "what time line is this even happening in" way.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Fil5000 posted:

I think the Alice in Wonderland one is Zagreus, which has a ton of weird nonsense going on (Colin Baker playing a vampire in a flashback being a highlight) and also an old recording of Pertwee that sounds like they found it in a burning bin being used purely so they could say they'd put him in it. Pre revival era Big Finish was an amazing mixed bag.

My bad, I got confused. Though he does play a cat, it's the very first Benny audio "oh no it isn't". He's not the Cheshire cat in this one though, just a normal one. Who also can talk.

And I'll accept the criticisms of Dominion - I get a lot of mileage out of the performance. Shoot, I even re listened to those "masters swapped bodies" stories. And the one where he goes by the name Doctor D'eath or whatever lol

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

McGann posted:

My bad, I got confused. Though he does play a cat, it's the very first Benny audio "oh no it isn't". He's not the Cheshire cat in this one though, just a normal one. Who also can talk.

He’s Wolsey, who was the TARDIS cat during the NA novels. The TARDIS should always have a cat, it feels right.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

A TARDIS cat that just randomly wanders through the entire history of the TARDIS with no care given to order or time. It just appears, demands food and scritches, and vanishes back into the cat dimension.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

McGann posted:

And the one where he goes by the name Doctor D'eath or whatever lol

I had no idea that George Lucas had written for Doctor Who!

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Jerusalem posted:

I had no idea that George Lucas had written for Doctor Who!

Oh come on, the Master has a long and storied history of lovely pseudonyms

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

MikeJF posted:

A TARDIS cat that just randomly wanders through the entire history of the TARDIS with no care given to order or time. It just appears, demands food and scritches, and vanishes back into the cat dimension.

:hmmyes:

That is a cat, yes. Which Doctor blob is this one? Will they feed me? That new console room desperately needs a chair or two. For cat.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

MikeJF posted:

It's actually the feline in charge of the Universal Cat Distribution System.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Cat glancing around with a distinct "Oh, you've redecorated?" look and then turning away as if to express "I don't like it."

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Bicyclops posted:

Cat glancing around with a distinct "Oh, you've redecorated?" look and then turning away as if to express "I don't like it."

And it does this even if the room hasn't been redecorated in the slightest. :v:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1752723465021292750?s=20

FLIP IS BACK!!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

This amused me more than it probably should have (click for vid):

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Random Stranger posted:

This amused me more than it probably should have (click for vid):

This was good, and the love being shown in the comments made me smile.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Watched "The Invisible Enemy" for the first time last night. The origin of K9!

... I could not have anticipated where that one was going to end up. Magnificent schlock.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I just rewatched the Capaldi episode Dark Water. In the beginning, The Doctor has the TARDIS take them to Hell and at the end of the episode it's revealed he's been in London the whole time.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Many such cases.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

My rewatch has finished season 8 plus Last Christmas (the best Christmas episode) and reconfirmed that Capaldi is just the best.

Everything from now onwards is new to me. Exciting!

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
I watched the 2017 reconstruction of Shada, and on a whim I decided to rewatch Season 17 again, since it was supposed to be the concluding story of that season (before industrial action caused it to be scrapped partway through production). It's also the season where, City of Death aside, every story is either horribly acted (both over and under), horribly written, horribly budgeted as far as SFX/monsters/costuming goes, or some combination of all of the above.

And you know what? I'm enjoying it a lot more than I thought I would. It's been ages since I watched any of those episodes, and while all the criticisms against S17 are still perfectly valid, it's a lot more enjoyable than it has any right to be. I'm nearly done, as I'm partway through The Horns of Nimon now; and while Graham Crowden is chowing down on the scenery like he was a particularly hungry great white shark, it's still some pretty good fun.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I'm now on my last season of Tom Baker Doctor Who having made it through Season 17 which honestly wasn't to bad but it wasn't that great either.

I am not sold on the new intro for Doctor Who. I liked the old one.

LMAO at this episode of K9 driving into the water and exploding.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I watched the 2017 reconstruction of Shada, and on a whim I decided to rewatch Season 17 again, since it was supposed to be the concluding story of that season (before industrial action caused it to be scrapped partway through production). It's also the season where, City of Death aside, every story is either horribly acted (both over and under), horribly written, horribly budgeted as far as SFX/monsters/costuming goes, or some combination of all of the above.

And you know what? I'm enjoying it a lot more than I thought I would. It's been ages since I watched any of those episodes, and while all the criticisms against S17 are still perfectly valid, it's a lot more enjoyable than it has any right to be. I'm nearly done, as I'm partway through The Horns of Nimon now; and while Graham Crowden is chowing down on the scenery like he was a particularly hungry great white shark, it's still some pretty good fun.

Horns of Nimon I enjoy largely for Romana basically taking on the Doctor-like heroic role whilst the Doctor himself is a weird mischief man.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I'm not sure I like Season 18 Doctor's outfit. He has the ridiculous scarf but also has a shirt with question marks on it. Kind of a bit on the nose.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Hollismason posted:

I'm not sure I like Season 18 Doctor's outfit. He has the ridiculous scarf but also has a shirt with question marks on it. Kind of a bit on the nose.

Hoo boy :cripes:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I stand by my assessment. The overall outfit is alright but the shirt with question marks is too much.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Hollismason posted:

I stand by my assessment. The overall outfit is alright but the shirt with question marks is too much.

You’re not going to enjoy the 1980s, then.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I’m gonna throw hands if you people start maligning McCoy’s vest

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I see nimon i must post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98MxxpzIoyg

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I’m gonna throw hands if you people start maligning McCoy’s vest

7's costume is a lot more acceptable after your eyes have healed from 6's abomination.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I mean I see the Doctors outfits from the 80s and think "Yeah there was probably cocaine in England during that time like in America".

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
JNT was just a mountain of coke vaguely fashioned into the shape of a person

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Hollismason posted:

Pretty sure they were less disagreeing with you, and more "oh man, if you didn't like that, just you wait"

Hollismason posted:

I mean I see the Doctors outfits from the 80s and think "Yeah there was probably cocaine in England during that time like in America".

It wasn't even that, the producer (JNT) during the entirety of DW's 1980s run was a sort of proto-RTD, in that he wanted to merchandise the poo poo out of DW, in order to capitalize on the show's growing popularity overseas (particularly here in the US, where it was developing a pretty sizable following). His problem was that he thought giving the Doctor a consistent costume was a good step towards this goal, without thinking that perhaps he was leaning a bit too much on the "costume" part, instead of having it look more or less like an actual outfit that a (rather eccentric) person might be able to naturally assemble from their wardrobe. It started in season 18, with the changes to Tom's outfit, and proceeds to barrel downhill at top speed from there, until Sylvester takes over (and even then, JNT just couldn't resist sticking the question mark motif in).