Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

I caught Morbius on Twitch and the Super Mario Bros movie on Twitter both due to stumbling on uploads that didn't last long. I feel like I have a much more positive opinion of both movies because of the novelty of that, even though those studios werent able to get money from me.

However I think Sony and Comcast would much prefer I have a lingering positive opinion than my actual money, soooo you're welcome, movie execs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The Mario movie was pretty good all in all.

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN

MarcusSA posted:

The Mario movie was pretty good all in all.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Gripweed posted:

Venom and Venom 2 were good on their own terms. Morbius was fuckin terrible.
I didn't say it was good, I asked if you had fun watching laughing at it

Granted I would be pissed if I paid money to see Morbius expecting it to be good only for it to turn out to be Morbius, but that assumes there's a kind of person that would pay money to see Morbius

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Froghammer posted:

I didn't say it was good, I asked if you had fun watching laughing at it

Granted I would be pissed if I paid money to see Morbius expecting it to be good only for it to turn out to be Morbius, but that assumes there's a kind of person that would pay money to see Morbius

It was more baffling than funny. Like, it has the scene where our nascent superhero stops some street crime, you know the scene, most superheroes have it. But in Morbius, the crime he stops is counterfeiting. Or when child Morbius goes to the hospital for children with Morbius disease and meets evil Morbius. So you assume they grew up together, that’s why they’re such close friends. But then it turns out Morbius moved out after like a week to go to regular school. So they didn’t grow up together, they met briefly as kids and the I guess met up again as adults and became friends then.

Just so many baffling choices in the script.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
dark universe is back, in theme park form

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1752324380821008524

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Global warming and rising seas have some upsides, I suppose.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
The leaked Frankenstein dark ride in that area seems pretty neat actually. Not sure why they are calling it Dark Universe when it has nothing to do with that aborted shared universe.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

priznat posted:

Global warming and rising seas have some upsides, I suppose.

lol

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Listening to some of Weird Al's rap parodies from the 00s and our guy had bars more then I remember

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
all about the pentiums had some great insults

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Dark Universe? More like DORK Universe, am I right?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
American Fiction is great. I like it better than any of the other Best Picture nominees. Very funny, but also much more of a drama than the trailers make it seem.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Saw American Fiction, and while it had good performances from Jeffrey Wright and Sterling K. Brown, it felt messy and unfocused.

Now that I've seen all 10 Best Picture nominees, here's how I would rank them:

Past Lives > The Zone of Interest > The Holdovers > Poor Things > Anatomy of a Fall > Barbie > Oppenheimer > Killers of the Flower Moon > American Fiction > Maestro

I had Zone of Interest, Holdovers, Poor Things, Anatomy of a Fall and Barbie all rated 4 and a half stars on Letterboxd, so those are kinda interchangeable for me.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Rageaholic posted:

it felt messy and unfocused.

This is part of the point. Monk's life is a reasonable mess in realistic ways that make him a non-flat character and in the end he realizes he's been flattrning everyone in his life. His mother is the just a poor victim of her condition and his dad's infidelity, his brother is a fuckup having a midlife crisis, his girlfriend doesn't get him, his rival author is just another sellout. None of it is true because he's not really engaging with them, just shadowboxing with versions of them he's cooked up.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jan 31, 2024

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

PostNouveau posted:

This is part of the point
Eh, it didn't do it for me. I'm glad you liked it, though.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Jose Oquendo posted:

The leaked Frankenstein dark ride in that area seems pretty neat actually. Not sure why they are calling it Dark Universe when it has nothing to do with that aborted shared universe.

They probably spent a ton of money developing branding and what not for it, may as get something out of it I guess? But yeah not a theme park person -last one I went to would of been two decades ago now- so probably not the best person to wage in on this, but a theme park area built around the old universal monsters actually seems like a pretty cool idea to me. kitchy fun for the adults, scary for the younger kids, around Halloween you could do a lot of stuff with it. Honestly far better idea than the whole "cinematic universe" idea was.

Although as someone -I think a page or two ago- mentioned, dark universe could of worked too if they weren't trying to make it all 300 million dollar marvel'esq action type poo poo. Series of vaguely connected smaller budget horror films by writers/directors who like the old movies/genre, could of worked well. They just got greedy.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
just watched featured on hitb catchup video film the kid detective and i do heartily recommend it! great fun little indie dark comedy, and asks only 99 minutes of your life

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

DRINK! ARSE! FECKIN CHRISTMAS!

Get rid of all of that except Isle of Berk but not Berk form the dragon film but rather from Trap Door. Basically I am asking for a Trap Door themepark.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldlCD7GR2JI

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

dr_rat posted:

Although as someone -I think a page or two ago- mentioned, dark universe could of worked too if they weren't trying to make it all 300 million dollar marvel'esq action type poo poo. Series of vaguely connected smaller budget horror films by writers/directors who like the old movies/genre, could of worked well. They just got greedy.

Yeah, the Invisible Man was the only good one and it had just a $7 million budget

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah, the Invisible Man was the only good one and it had just a $7 million budget

The problem is that a <$10 million R-rated horror movie is probably gonna top out at maybe $250 million (which is what Get Out made). A $200 million PG-13 action-adventure movie could end up pulling in $1 billion (or more). Studios are way too set in the mindset of "tentpole" movies, so they're always gonna find something to spend 9 figures on.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

thank god

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

dr_rat posted:

Make Dark Universe, but every single movie has to hide the monster part of it behind some more mundane story.

80s Wall Street movie, but Dracula's bankrupting the savings and loans.
70s buddy cop movie, but it's one cop: Detective Jeckyl and Lt. Hyde.
60s anti-war movie, but werewolves are hiding out in a hippie commune by blending in.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

sharknado slashfic posted:

Listening to some of Weird Al's rap parodies from the 00s and our guy had bars more then I remember

Weird Al is unironically one of the best musicians alive

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

dr_rat posted:

Yeah. The Invisible Man was excellent and a big financial success. You could do the whole dark universe for less than the cost of the Mummy.

Not that I think they should. Shared universes are small universes. Plus you get tone inconsistencies; a Jekyll film could be great in the same style as Invisible Man, but a Frankenstein with no camp elements sounds unappealing. Let things stand alone.

Meat Wagon
Jul 14, 2004

Cubone posted:

it's based on a book

https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/show/22831743

looks to be the kind of book that perhaps a weird idiot would read

how is it? :D

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Meat Wagon posted:

how is it? :D

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

a few days after seeing the holdovers, I started to think about american fiction, and the fact that da'vine joy randolph's character in the former is the kind of character the latter's jeffrey wright would bemoan. her role in the plot is to suffer sufficiently enough that paul giamatti's character can look good for defending her, while also befriending him and praising his virtue (in contrast with how the white students and white faculty engage with him). it seems like the movie is intending to set up a tripartite drama but her relationship with dominic sessa is pretty underdeveloped. as a result the movie becomes mostly about giamatti and sessa in the final act while her story is self-contained and feels superfluous. her character is basically giamatti's character's magical negro. giamatti was nommed for best actor and randolph for best supporting actress.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

JediTalentAgent posted:

Make Dark Universe, but every single movie has to hide the monster part of it behind some more mundane story.

80s Wall Street movie, but Dracula's bankrupting the savings and loans.
70s buddy cop movie, but it's one cop: Detective Jeckyl and Lt. Hyde.
60s anti-war movie, but werewolves are hiding out in a hippie commune by blending in.

What could be really cool is one of those Eyes Wide Shut/Under the Silver Lake movies about a rich people sex and murder cult that plays the whole thing totally straight, nothing supernatural, just a normal conspiracy, but at the end it turns out the leader is literally Dracula.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

You really think you could secure the rights to Jared Leto’s life?

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

what if dracula was president????

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

what if dracula was president????

Try right now! Or if you like the current guy, try four years ago!

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

kalel posted:

a few days after seeing the holdovers, I started to think about american fiction, and the fact that da'vine joy randolph's character in the former is the kind of character the latter's jeffrey wright would bemoan. her role in the plot is to suffer sufficiently enough that paul giamatti's character can look good for defending her, while also befriending him and praising his virtue (in contrast with how the white students and white faculty engage with him). it seems like the movie is intending to set up a tripartite drama but her relationship with dominic sessa is pretty underdeveloped. as a result the movie becomes mostly about giamatti and sessa in the final act while her story is self-contained and feels superfluous. her character is basically giamatti's character's magical negro. giamatti was nommed for best actor and randolph for best supporting actress.

they probably shouldve given her something more to do/say than just hold the kids hand while he almost gets expelled

Barudak
May 7, 2007

In the original Mummy film the mummy successfully resurrects the woman he pined over and then she goes, uh, I was a high priestess of a god and you were punished for sacrilege and this seems like a whole bunch of sacrilege and just wipes him out.

Did the failed Tom Cruise one have a scene where mummy mommy gets exploded or is it less fun than a film from 1932

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

kalel posted:

Oh, 100%. Randolph's performance is quite good with the material she's given though. She's much more grounded than a lot of actors would have played it, which makes her breakdown and the scenes with her sister pay off well.

I think the Holdovers would have been a Christmas classic if it was made in the '90s. Make that soundtrack christmasier and make Giamatti more of a big softie at the end and it would be the subject of clickbait articles today about how problematic your favorite childhood Christmas movie is.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Barudak posted:

In the original Mummy film the mummy successfully resurrects the woman he pined over and then she goes, uh, I was a high priestess of a god and you were punished for sacrilege and this seems like a whole bunch of sacrilege and just wipes him out.

Did the failed Tom Cruise one have a scene where mummy mommy gets exploded or is it less fun than a film from 1932

The Tom Cruise Mummy is significantly less fun than the Brendan Frazier Mummy

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I regret to inform everyone that a plane carrying Josh the Wizard spun into the pacific ocean this morning at 5:22 am PT. He was the only survivor.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Stink Billyums posted:

all about the pentiums had some great insults

It's also aged shockingly well, overall, considering how much technology it mentions. The line that aged the worst is one he couldn't possibly have predicted: "posting 'me too" like some brain-dead AOL'er"

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The boys were correct in their Ghostbusters 2 commentary that the only way a sequel could've worked is if it was a decade or two later. GB2 was too soon and these movies are way too late especially since one of them has been dead for a decade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Groovelord Neato posted:

The boys were correct in their Ghostbusters 2 commentary that the only way a sequel could've worked is if it was a decade or two later. GB2 was too soon and these movies are way too late especially since one of them has been dead for a decade.

I still think the best idea for a sequel is that it takes place at a Ghostbusters franchise location. The only time you see any of the old guys is Bill Murray in an anti-union video they have to watch as part of employee training.