Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
A little catchup for the night...
Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (January 13-14, 1936)

Peanuts (January 31-February 1, 1977)

Dinkleshaft

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (September 2-3, 1940)

Olive & Popeye

Mousetrapped looks like it's on pause for a moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pancho Jueves
Aug 20, 2007

BEST FRIENDS!!

riderchop posted:

For Better or For Worse

This one's a big ol' OOF in hindsight.

Pluggers

Only Pluggers still care about dimes and pay phones, it's true.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 4/6/52

Archie 6/2-4/49

The Virtue of Vera Valiant 12/27-29/77

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Pancho Jueves posted:

Pluggers

Only Pluggers still care about dimes and pay phones, it's true.

only pluggers still care about sports

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

I need Harry Dinkle to keel over and die.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The beautiful thing about comic strips is that you can just draw whatever you want.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

God this is annoying.

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Someone please eat Dustin's dad

riderchop posted:

For Better or For Worse

Dude, gross. I know it's the past, but you should know you take off your lab jacket at the end of the day. You don't just put your outside coat over it and wear it home. That thing is covered in blood and spit and now your wife is rubbing her face on it.

Luann

Yo, perverts, that old lady did not give you this assignment because she wants to find out about the first time all her students hosed. Talk about the first time you drove a car or mentored a kid at the youth center or discovered you liked writing or cooked some complicated meal or saw your brother as a friend and not a rival. Jesus.

Gil Thorp

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Where would we be in this world of Lynn Johnston wasn't a fan of Riskay and her epic anthem "Smell Yo Dick".

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Julet Esqu posted:

Someone please eat Dustin's dad

Dude, gross. I know it's the past, but you should know you take off your lab jacket at the end of the day. You don't just put your outside coat over it and wear it home. That thing is covered in blood and spit and now your wife is rubbing her face on it.

Don’t kink shame.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Giant Ethicist posted:

We Are Reproducing

The idea of having a television on SPECIFICALLY WHILE YOU ARE ASLEEP makes me so unreasonably angry I'm wondering if my father was somehow killed by one in the same circumstances and I'm only now remembering it.

Doomykins posted:

Catching up with Blueberry and lol, RIP Bascom, got what he so richly desired.

I find it extremely fitting that we never see him get killed, either. On that note...

Corto Maltese

Blueberry

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

My father developed the need to have the TV on to get to sleep sometime in his late 40s, and I have no idea how my parents are still married and sharing a bedroom. I visited them in their new house for Christmas this year, staying in a guest room with a sticking/ajar door across the hall from the master bedroom, and after the first night I was tempted to go get a motel room.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Antivehicular posted:

My father developed the need to have the TV on to get to sleep sometime in his late 40s, and I have no idea how my parents are still married and sharing a bedroom. I visited them in their new house for Christmas this year, staying in a guest room with a sticking/ajar door across the hall from the master bedroom, and after the first night I was tempted to go get a motel room.

I love me a white noise generator to blend out random spikes of noise but a TV can just chaotic and unpredictable.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
1981 comics

Dick Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Mexikid Stories

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Ah, yes, the universal constant of reused opaque margarine containers holding leftover mysteries

(I've done the margarine burrito, tbh -- a little spread and cinnamon/sugar on a warm tortilla, then roll it up to eat. Not high class, but tastes pretty good!)

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From The Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side Of The Horse

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Zereth posted:

This is gonna go so badly for the guy that reassigned him when one of his allies, which includes the queen, tries to check on him.
Yeaaah, given how the queen has been played like a fiddle this entire arc so far by the people who clearly have it in for Flash? I give it three in-universe months before anyone realizes he's been hosed over.

Giant Ethicist posted:

We Are Reproducing
Something is clearly wrong with your kid. Take him to the drat doctor.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse lol

Classic Arlo and Janis (February 27, 2002)

Rae the Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Zippy The Pinhead

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

Is this written and drawn by AI?

Giant Ethicist posted:

I'm absolutely loving Mexikids.

We Are Reproducing

Our son was like this, we at one point would put him to sleep by putting him in his car basket and putting him on the running washing machine. Our daughter on the other hand absolutely knew when she wanted to sleep and would literally push you away so you'd put her down in her bed.

riderchop posted:

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Wandering Culinarian

The decrease in eye dialect isn't because of Green Intern's coments, but because it's also scaled back in the original text. Hard to tell whether this was because readers were complaining or whether the locals in-continuity are actively code-switching once in the presence of someone who they're not sure can understand their dialect.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Yeaaah, given how the queen has been played like a fiddle this entire arc so far by the people who clearly have it in for Flash? I give it three in-universe months before anyone realizes he's been hosed over.

Probably gonna be some purges once it happens, and Dale and Zarkov are likely going to want to check on him and update him about the investigation sooner rather than later.

riderchop posted:

Holy poo poo.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

thisusedyet posted:

How are they going to tell Arn put blood on the arrow when he snipes some random poor bastard on the outskirts of camp?

They don't mention what it hit but I do like to think some random guy is off panel clutching a hole in his gut. Prince Valiant would of course recognize his son's blood, don't ask how he's just that kind of person.

Vintage Valiant (Jul. 09, 1961)

I've never played the God of War games with the young son character but I assume this what they're like.

Also how was that guy supposed to know sexual assault is frowned upon :iiam:

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fingerpori

Here we see one of the oldest Finnish jokes in recorded history. When our students are graduating from high school, they have to take their matriculation exams, which are literally called the "graduate writings", probably as a holdover from the Swedish term "studentskrivningar" (same meaning), as our schools used to be Swedish back in the day.

So anyway, the common way of saying someone is about to take the graduation exams is to say they're going to be "writing next fall" (if they're participating in the fall exams) etc. And it took probably roughly 0,5 seconds for some wag to come up with the snappy comeback "OK so when will you be reading".

Breadmaster
Jun 14, 2010

Zereth posted:

Holy poo poo.

I'm not well versed in the history of For Better or Worse, is there something I'm missing?

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Breadmaster posted:

I'm not well versed in the history of For Better or Worse, is there something I'm missing?

Lynn Johnston's husband Rod, a dentist, left her after 30 years for (I believe) his hygienist.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

Howard Beale posted:

Lynn Johnston's husband Rod, a dentist, left her after 30 years for (I believe) his hygienist.

At least it was a clean affair.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Zereth posted:

Probably gonna be some purges once it happens, and Dale and Zarkov are likely going to want to check on him and update him about the investigation sooner rather than later.
Assuming the inquisitor doesn't try to block any visitors, citing that they'll try to help him escape.

And you mean to tell me the FOOB person has some issues? With a feather, you could knock me over

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

I adore the "HUP!" thought bubble.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

catlord posted:

Also, Hellworld has commercial whaling?

If you accept that there's meat companies that prey on herbivores to sell product, then it follows that there would be seafood companies that hunt whales.
Heck, it would be more moral by the rules of that world.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Medenmath posted:

They don't mention what it hit but I do like to think some random guy is off panel clutching a hole in his gut. Prince Valiant would of course recognize his son's blood, don't ask how he's just that kind of person.

Vintage Valiant (Jul. 09, 1961)

I've never played the God of War games with the young son character but I assume this what they're like.

Also how was that guy supposed to know sexual assault is frowned upon :iiam:

Arn has gotten over his qualms of killing. Now he is truly Prince Valiant's son.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Frankfurti

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 1/30/04

Brenda Starr 7/17-19/52

Dale Messick, feminist crusader.

"Yes, he falsely accused me of a crime, but he's dreamy!"

Smokey Stover 7/5/59

Everyday Movies 3/13/37

"Do you have to pay an income tax this year, Albert?" "No, thank Heaven!"

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 1/14-16/43

Hippy's last appearance (and trip to jail) was in January 1942, and gas rationing had been imposed in summer 1942. An "A" sticker was the most common rationing classification and entitled you to four gallons of gas a week.

Closer Than We Think! 7/5/59

Longer-range subs, check; missiles, check; underwater submarine docks, no, unless the Pentagon is hiding something.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
The current Phantom run is so odd that I went back and read it all. Blevin's art is such a step backwards from Weigels. His anatomy is rushed and everyone is wearing a poorly-drawn ingratiating smirk. I don't think this is the result of an AI, but a competent hand doing a bad job to match the pay. I think training an robot to churn out panels is probably beyond King Syndicate's abilities or budget. The plot is confusing and boring, which makes sense because the action is the Phantom recounting a dream he had. It's very hard to keep track of what is dream and what is not, and the story's pacing is so jumpy it's really hard to care. I wasn't following the strip closely before, so I can't really say if the writing has taken as bad a tumble as the art. I think last year at least the dream had some action, rather than just being weird symbolism.
ALSO, if I were making Phantom strips in 2024, I would probably stay away from a shady man in a turban leching after a white woman.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Breadmaster posted:

From a discussion of her book:

“Lynn:

Rod and the company’s executive director had convinced my staff that I was senile, unstable, and not interested in knowing what was going on within the business. Because of the tension, people picked at each other and treated me as though I would explode at any time. With deadlines continually nagging at me, all I could do was put my head down and get the strip done. Eventually, we discovered the source of the unease: my husband had been having an affair with the executive director, the woman he hired to run my business. It was a shock. When it was out, the affair was over. So was the marriage.

Me:

Now Lynn says Rod hired the executive director, but on page 132, Lynn says she hired her. Lynn always has continuity issues and it would have been nice if Katie had cleaned this sort of thing up. Bad Katie. Also a major divergence is the line “we discovered”, which implies the staff was the “we.” In the many prior versions of this story Lynn had told to newspapers and magazines, Rod broke the news to Lynn that he had been having a long time affair. Here is the version from the 2008 Peterborough Examiner story:

If Lynn can't remember the details of the day she'll never forget, she knows this much is true: around eight o'clock in the evening her husband of 30 years walked into the kitchen and broke her heart.

I'm leaving you, he told her.
I've been seeing another woman for some time. You know her.

It may not have come out in precisely those words or in that exact order, but the message was clear. He was going and that was that; he would make no amends for his betrayal.

Anonymous writers to my Howard Bunt Blog agree with Lynn’s assessment that Rod’s relationship with executive director Nancy Vincent was over shortly after he announced it to Lynn. My sources say Nancy filed a lawsuit for wrongful termination against Lynn, which implies to me that she played the “He’s lying. We never had an affair” card. Nancy was also married and it is not unreasonable to expect she was trying to preserve her marriage. I don’t know how it ended with Nancy or the lawsuit. What I do know is Lynn and Rod’s marriage was over and once again Entercom had one boss.”

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I get the feeling Flash is going to give Aura a very tough choice and storyline where even if the Inquisitor tries to block her she's going to figure out what happened to Flash and she can reform her justice system, purge the old guard, flex some Ming style muscle to get around their blocking her, etc... or not, since that's certainly a call she's trying to avoid. All the same those jerks are really asking for it AND the Inquisitor would approve. What a great strip!

:allears: Hippy punched that guy so hard he was able to fly a few feet and shatter a door on impact. This really is the return of a fiery rival that we wanted in Scarlet O'Neil.

Dying of irony poisoning that we finally escaped Mozz's Prophecy and we immediately need to go back.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

so is this really just the Phantom making GBS threads on some old Phantom story

Forum accident
Jun 15, 2006

All hail Thor...the THUNDER GOD!
Frank and Ernest

(12/17/1993)

(12/18/1993)

Ziggy

(8/18/1971)

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Hwurmp posted:

so is this really just the Phantom making GBS threads on some old Phantom story

Is that what's happening? Is "the Phantom dreamt there was a chain around his throne" a classic Phantom story?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

THORN, August 16-26, 1983

And that finishes Summer 1983!

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Howard Beale posted:

Yeah, it's a total mystery as to why he would have left her, too....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Mr. Squishy posted:

Is that what's happening? Is "the Phantom dreamt there was a chain around his throne" a classic Phantom story?

apparently so

loving lol @ the Chroniclers of Mozz pretending they have a right to talk