Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

FutureCop posted:

Anyway, was wondering if there were some recs for must-buy. I'm assuming the obvious answer is either 'all of them' or VI, which I have been meaning to replay since I barely remember anything from childhood play except the basic beats. I've already played V recently and liked it a lot, and was thinking the last must-buy one is probably IV? Though there are so many version of IV, so I wonder if the pixel remaster is the best?

I-IV were some of the earliest JRPGs and a lot of the standard tropes of the genre were invented there, so if you're interested in how we got to where we are today they're worth checking out. I would definitely explore those in reverse chronological order, though, and maybe follow an LP of II unless you really want to play it. IV is definitely the strongest of those but it's also the closest to modern games and shows its age a little bit as a result.

V and VI hold up very well and are worth trying even if you don't care about the historical aspects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

The Colonel posted:

i think bayonetta origins would've done okay if it... wasn't a bayonetta game. even if you erase how hard bayonetta 3 soured people on the series, and more specifically soured people on the writing of the series, there is simply no crossover in appeal to what bayonetta origins was doing. people who like bayonetta don't want a game about bayonetta being a little girl who needs someone else to fight for her. people who aren't into bayonetta don't care about a bayonetta lore game. especially not a lore game for explaining a bunch of weirdly convoluted newly introduced lore in the third game in the series, that was not present in the previous two in any way, shape or form

it wouldn't have sold gangbusters if it was some weird infinite space-type original game but it would've at least been able to cultivate its own audience

Easy million seller if you slap Captain Toad on it.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
It's been a while but if my memory serves FFIV was the only one of the original six whose post-game bonus content that was added in later editions were worth much of anything. Maybe FFII (well definitely FFII if you count Soul of Rebirth). FFII might be the worst of the pixel remasters with how it changed the targeting system, it might be worth going PSP for at least FFII, but for the rest the Pixel Remasters are incredibly solid.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ace Transmuter posted:

It's been a while but if my memory serves FFIV was the only one of the original six whose post-game bonus content that was added in later editions were worth much of anything. Maybe FFII (well definitely FFII if you count Soul of Rebirth). FFII might be the worst of the pixel remasters with how it changed the targeting system, it might be worth going PSP for at least FFII, but for the rest the Pixel Remasters are incredibly solid.

FFVI's was pretty fun, it gave you an additional 'you use the entire party' dungeon with some harder-than-standard boss fights. It also added a couple of extra espers including Gilgamesh.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I hadn't been paying attention very much and just assumed that LAD Infinite Wealth was PS5 exclusive. Now that I know that it's a dual console arrangement I'll work on getting it too.

Saw some of the classes and it kinda stunned me. I realize that I play very few class changing JRPGs and aside from Yakuza, Kingdom Hearts and FF7R few set in fairly modern times for lack of abetter way to describe medieval in fantasy settings.

What're some cool classes you've seen in games? I'd be shocked if baseball player or fisherman weren't something that's been done by now.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I haven’t played that many games with jobs, so Calculator is probably the most memorable

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
X-2 has a lot of neat ones and neat interpretations of classic ff jobs.

Mascot, Trainer, and psychic all standout

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
The Communist and Necronomiconomics classes/skill trees in Dungeons of Dredmor are standouts.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

FFV Bards are so grossly overpowered that their mechanics have never been revisited in the last three decades.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

I hadn't been paying attention very much and just assumed that LAD Infinite Wealth was PS5 exclusive. Now that I know that it's a dual console arrangement I'll work on getting it too.

Saw some of the classes and it kinda stunned me. I realize that I play very few class changing JRPGs and aside from Yakuza, Kingdom Hearts and FF7R few set in fairly modern times for lack of abetter way to describe medieval in fantasy settings.

What're some cool classes you've seen in games? I'd be shocked if baseball player or fisherman weren't something that's been done by now.

FF:4 Heroes of Light has a job called Party Host whose entire job is that it cheers up the party (gives them the boosted 'Psych Up" status.) It is like a combo of Bard and Gambler.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

RareAcumen posted:

pictomancer isn't really fun to use in ff6 but it's always been a conceptually fun job and i'm probably gonna jump right into it when ff14 adds it

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

ultrafilter posted:

FFV Bards are so grossly overpowered that their mechanics have never been revisited in the last three decades.

FFT Bards are somewhat lesser versions but then "Free Infinite Party-Wide Stunlock" would probably be a bit too much for that game.

As for weird classes there's always Nethack's Tourist class, which comes with a camera you can blind and scare monsters with.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

BrokenLink posted:

FF3 is very much a prototype of what they did with FFV later, it's not the worst game, but there is a lot of forced class swapping and some of the gimmick enemies are beyond obnoxious.

On the one hand I 100% understand the complaints with FF3 and I have more than a few problems with it myself. It's a straight up dungeoneering game in a way that later FF titles largely aren't, and some of the later dungeons have awkward gimmicks and/or are just too drat long.

But on the other hand lol that "the game forces you to engage with its central mechanic" is considered a downside.

DNE
Nov 24, 2007
Not only is 7th Dragon 2020 VFD's Duelist a kid that plays a card game at dragons to blow them up, it does so with a pretty intuitive and lightweight mechanic that still sells the class flavor. It's a luck based class that doesn't feel like a nonsense slot machine! The game's other classes are good, but Duelist is the one that combines "is about something weird" and "follows through all the way on it".

BrokenLink
Apr 27, 2013

Schwarzwald posted:

On the one hand I 100% understand the complaints with FF3 and I have more than a few problems with it myself. It's a straight up dungeoneering game in a way that later FF titles largely aren't, and some of the later dungeons have awkward gimmicks and/or are just too drat long.

But on the other hand lol that "the game forces you to engage with its central mechanic" is considered a downside.

Yeah I understand what you mean, but in the first version of the game you had to grind to change classes (which was minor in the end honestly) and some of the classes had use for only one dungeon or had their stuff only available from one town.
Though I have to laugh at the thought process for the DS version's penalty for class switching, "that thing you have to constantly do should give you a massive decrease in stats for a couple battles, perfect!".
The PR thankfully just gets rid of class points altogether which makes it a lot easier to swap when necessary,
I DO like FF3 just mentioning it's rough spots to a potential buyer.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Harvestella has a class called “Aristotle”

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I like so many of the Etrian Odyssey classes. It's probably my favorite class based game.

I wanted to like the Xenoblade 3 classes but it just didn't do much for me. I mean it was okay but I wouldn't say memorable.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
drat the cave noire manual is sick. neat illustrations of the different enemies and the two player characters

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

X-2 has a lot of neat ones and neat interpretations of classic ff jobs.

Mascot, Trainer, and psychic all standout

:yeah:

Alchemist is fun as well but aggressively busted in terms of keeping a team alive basically indefinitely

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Colonel posted:

drat the cave noire manual is sick. neat illustrations of the different enemies and the two player characters

God I miss manuals like that.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

The Colonel posted:

she just like me fr

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

DNE posted:

Not only is 7th Dragon 2020 VFD's Duelist a kid that plays a card game at dragons to blow them up, it does so with a pretty intuitive and lightweight mechanic that still sells the class flavor. It's a luck based class that doesn't feel like a nonsense slot machine! The game's other classes are good, but Duelist is the one that combines "is about something weird" and "follows through all the way on it".

Godhand is a funny concept for a healer. The maid/butler who is so good at massages that it heals you, and also punches dragons to death.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

it doesn't get much better than FFT's mediator, who talks things out with people when they can and shoots them with a gun when they can't

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

I'm a big fan of FFT's Oracle personally. Reasonably accurate and powerful debuffs, and also thwacking people with a big stick.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

EightFlyingCars posted:

it doesn't get much better than FFT's mediator, who talks things out with people when they can and shoots them with a gun when they can't

I've played probably 500+ hours of FFT and I don't think I've used a mediator for anything other than recruiting monster units (which I always rush, especially chocobos). To me they're literally that one ability lol

DNE
Nov 24, 2007

Clarste posted:

Godhand is a funny concept for a healer. The maid/butler who is so good at massages that it heals you, and also punches dragons to death.

Yeah! But playing one doesn't feel really maid-y or butler-y, it's the 7th Dragon 2020's "Destroy Depth" mechanic stapled onto a healing skillset. Still really fun that they exist though.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Anno posted:

I've played probably 500+ hours of FFT and I don't think I've used a mediator for anything other than recruiting monster units (which I always rush, especially chocobos). To me they're literally that one ability lol

That and the + brave ability are the only real standouts yeah.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Anno posted:

Leraika posted:

That and the + brave ability are the only real standouts yeah.

Mimic Daravon is a free, instant, and surprisingly accurate AOE sleep. Plus the fiction is literally lecture at enemies until they pass out. And again, if it doesn't stick, you can always just shoot them in the face.

They're also the best way by far, at least pre-Beowulf, to turn people into chickens. And that's always fun.

Edit: Mediator with a gun and the Knight's skill set is the ultimate debuffer, really. 8-range equipment/stat break? Yeah.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
7th Dragon 2020-II's Idol is one of the most unhinged classes I've seen in a video game. I'd love to describe what makes it so nuts but it'd be way too many words because what the gently caress is this class. It's an absurdly chaotic support unit that's ridiculously flexible with absolutely bizarre mechanics.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

miku

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

RareAcumen posted:

I've always been fond of FFV's Time Mage. Square thought of all sorts of weird time, space and dimensional spells to give them, so it really feels like you're coming at the game from a different angle. Speed up your allies and slow your enemies! Act twice instead of once! Slow down the ATB bar so you have more time to think! If you get back-attacked, go back in time until you don't get surprised!

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Araxxor posted:

7th Dragon 2020-II's Idol is one of the most unhinged classes I've seen in a video game. I'd love to describe what makes it so nuts but it'd be way too many words because what the gently caress is this class. It's an absurdly chaotic support unit that's ridiculously flexible with absolutely bizarre mechanics.

They have a secret special live concert move that you can only see if you made a party entirely of idols, which is something a sane person would not do outside of a gimmick run because as noted they are mostly a support class

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

7th dragon also has that one yugioh inspired class doesnt it. i should play those games

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
The original DS game is pretty skippable but everything from 2020 onwards is a good time if you like games where you build your own party and accumulate a bunch of random NPCs at your base to chat with/date. They're not very complicated or difficult but they don't waste your time either.

also the game set in 2021 is called 7th Dragon 2020 Part II, correctly predicting how time would work in the year 2020

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Whatever 7th Dragon game I played was very boring and repetitive and the hacker class just did not work correctly. Then I got miffed that the more boring standard classes just all around were better than the inventive ones.

Still beat the game, and it had clear and obvious progression sub goals, so better than a shitload of RPGs ive played.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
i should probably play the 7th 3ds game at some point especially i have the power of magic and can make the game speed up faster

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm mostly just asking for unique stuff I haven't seen a ton like your classic D&D crews Warrior/Fighter, Theif, Monk, White Mage, etc and/or FF5 stuff. By this point Time Mage and Engineer and Chemist are all as par for the course as Red Mages, Summoners and Paladins to me.

Leraika posted:

The Communist and Necronomiconomics classes/skill trees in Dungeons of Dredmor are standouts.

Communist stands out here, I can't imagine how that one works and now I'm intrigued.

Owl Inspector posted:

Harvestella has a class called “Aristotle”

That's another one! What in the world does that do?

Clarste posted:

Ah, so they know Hokuto Shinken.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rs7vjpiHv3g

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Bravely Default had some weird ones in between the normal Final Fantasy stuff, like the Patisserie job that mainly makes status ailment confections, or the one mage job in Bravely Second that gives your spells different properties like turning a summon into a magic hammer for more damage that targets physical defense.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Endorph posted:

7th dragon also has that one yugioh inspired class doesnt it. i should play those games

That was the Duelist class mentioned earlier. They draw cards and play them to summon monsters.

Thuryl posted:

The original DS game is pretty skippable but everything from 2020 onwards is a good time if you like games where you build your own party and accumulate a bunch of random NPCs at your base to chat with/date. They're not very complicated or difficult but they don't waste your time either.

I love those games, but I would argue that they waste a lot of your time, actually. For one thing, random battles serve absolutely no purpose when you already have hundreds of dragons to kill.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Jan 31, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Barudak posted:

Whatever 7th Dragon game I played was very boring and repetitive and the hacker class just did not work correctly. Then I got miffed that the more boring standard classes just all around were better than the inventive ones.

Still beat the game, and it had clear and obvious progression sub goals, so better than a shitload of RPGs ive played.

If it was Agent in VFD, they are a bit sub par compared to some of the other classes, but they can be pretty good with some finesse. That being said due to the sheer power creep in VFD, yeah the later classes are just way better for less effort.

In 2020, Hacker's incredibly absurd and basically makes nearly every dragon punch themselves so hard in the face that battles end super fast with little risk to your party. If you know how to boost their infliction rates to be more reliable. If not they can end up being kinda frustrating to use. That strat did get nerfed in 2020-II though.

Clarste posted:

That was the Duelist class mentioned earlier. They draw cards and play them to summon monsters.

I love those games, but I would argue that they waste a lot of your time, actually. For one thing, random battles serve absolutely no purpose when you already have hundreds of dragons to kill.

Battle animations past DS are also longer, and they can get very long, especially Duelist's in VFD, and aren't skippable or something you can fast forward through if you aren't playing on an emulator.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Jan 31, 2024