Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

InsertPotPun posted:

wait she got her last name from her aunt bear?

She was named "Carmen" after her Aunt, Carmen Sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Brawnfire posted:

Who calls their aunt “Aunt Lastname”?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Nobody! It's very forced!

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
It’s her godmother, so the main character’s last name is not sense. But if you call your godmother both ‘Aunt’ and by their last name, there’s something wrong with you.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Brawnfire posted:

haha statis you loving moron!

just the loving worst

edit: the small hispanic/black girl has all the same cultural indicators of a middle aged white man. she never uses loan words or phrases, calls for godmother "aunt last name" instead of "mom" or "titi" or any of the other dozens of honorifics reserved for godmothers. i've never seen a culture that calls a godmother "aunt". "aunt" is reserved for female friends of the family the same age as your mom

InsertPotPun fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jan 30, 2024

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

InsertPotPun posted:

haha statis you loving moron!

just the loving worst

edit: the small hispanic/black girl has all the same cultural indicators of a middle aged white man. she never uses loan words or phrases, calls for godmother "aunt last name" instead of "mom" or "titi" or any of the other dozens of honorifics reserved for godmothers. i've never seen a culture that calls a godmother "aunt". "aunt" is reserved for female friends of the family the same age as your mom
You know how Garfield's target audience would hate it if Garfield were actually a cat? Yeah

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Ben Jennings on Liz Truss’s criticism of Rishi Sunak’s anti-smoking plans – Truss has said that the prime minister’s plan to gradually ban cigarette sales is ‘absurd’ and ‘profoundly unconservative’"

Telegraph:

EU calls for 'gendered language' to be scrapped

Matt:

Train strikes: All the rail services affected this week; Rishi Sunak reveals details of weekly 36-hour fast

Times:

Evening Standard:

What is a world war? Russian state TV predicts World War III; Donald Trump says 'we are on the brink of World War 3' after drone strike

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
It's conceivable that Carmen's godmother is also literally her aunt. There's nothing that stops someone from being both; my godfather is one of my uncles, for instance. If the aunt is on Carmen's father's side and unmarried, it wouldn't even be that weird for them to share a last name even if we're dealing with a traditionalist group where it's assumed the woman will take the man's last name. Of course, nobody would ever actually call an aunt by that name. And this is probably not the actual explanation, because that would be giving Prickly City too much credit.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Counterpoint: I want Carmen to be half-bear.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

DalaranJ posted:

Counterpoint: I want Carmen to be half-bear.

She's hard-to-bear, close enough.

L. Ron DeSantis
Nov 10, 2009

Holy poo poo, you don't have to hand it to Nikki Haley but you don't have to think attacking a white man for using orange tanner is the same as attacking an Indian woman for being brown
So, Kellies nomination: Worst Gaslighting, Least Concealed Bigotry (Racism)
Especially with Trump's birther poo poo about her.

L. Ron DeSantis fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jan 30, 2024

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

There was a pretty good edit on the previous page

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

L. Ron DeSantis posted:

Holy poo poo, you don't have to hand it to Nikki Haley but you don't have to think attacking a white man for using orange tanner is the same as attacking an Indian woman for being brown
So, Kellies nomination: Worst Gaslighting, Least Concealed Bigotry (Racism)
Especially with Trump's birther poo poo about her.

Also note how Gary is depicting Haley as much paler than Trump, to make it sound like fake martyrdom because racism is not real.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Phlegmish posted:

It's this light-hearted 'damned if you do, damned if you don't, right fellas' tone, but it's referring to genocide. Somehow that's almost more unnerving than the explicitly hateful cartoons

It's like Assay, but without any of the skill or artistic ability.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:

Pope:

Rowe:

Lethbridge:

Wilcox:

Masked neo-nazis were intercepted by police before meeting on Australia Day in Sydney.

Golding:

Spooner:

Former union leader and climate change minister Greg Combet has been appointed to lead the Future Fund.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Adam Zyglis

Amjad Rasmi

Bob Englehart

Clay Bennett

Dave Whamond

David M. Hitch

Dick Wright

The support of Texas from other states is filthy, useless, and ineffective. A good cartoon.

Ed Gamble

Jack Ohman

Jeff Danziger

Jeff Koterba

Jeff Stahler

Jimmy Margulies

Kevin "KAL" Kallaugher

Lisa Benson

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Kid showing the appropriate reaction to anyone who watches the Super Bowl just for the commercials.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Who the gently caress gives a poo poo about Franking Credits? Fuckwits brain is stuck on the 2019 election...

For non Aussies- one election saw Labor announce changes to certain tax breaks if they won the next election. One thing that was tabled was Franking Credits, which immediately led to the LNP running scare campaigns of 'Labor is gonna steal all your money, you EARNED those credits'.

Labor lost, and while theres nothing suggesting it was just from this scare campaign, within a week I was hearing from mates who work for Centrelink that they received several calls, from older Australians, demanding their Franking credits. Said mates didn't follow the election that close and had no loving idea what they were talking about.

I also have no idea what they are, honestly. Something to do with a tax return for investments, if the company already paid tax for the profits... point is, it wasn't that common, but the Libs went hard making it seem like this was taking money from all Australians, instead of mostly the rich with large investment portfolios. ie. their donors and voting base

Negative gearing can also gently caress off at this point- it was a mechanism to give tax breaks to families that bought an investment property, and instantly became the tool for the rich to buy 20 homes and not pay any tax, which is a part cause of our housing crisis atm.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
We had people show up at the supermarkets asking the cashiers to use their franking credits to pay for the groceries and people were like sorry madam we don't accept fictional magic elderly credits.

I blame Facebook

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Matt Davies

Matt Wuerker

Mike Peters

Mike Smith

Monte Wolverton

NEMØ

Patrick Chappatte - Farmers vs Europe

Randall Enos

Rick McKee

Rivers

Robert (R.J.) Matson

Taylor Jones

Walt Handelsman

Yaakov Kirschen (Dry Bones)

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Kellies Nomination: Least Concealed Bigotry (Misogyny)

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

:stare:

JamesBont
Oct 1, 2021

Yes, how dare Taylor Swift cause your daughter to have an interest in something you're interested in!

...holy poo poo.
Kellies Nominations: Least Concealed Bigotry (Racism), Worst Overall

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Kellies Nomination: Ugliest Cartoon

This lettering is abysmal.

Victar
Nov 8, 2009

Bored? Need something to read while camping Time-Lost Protodrake?

www.vicfanfic.com

idonotlikepeas posted:

My first response to this was "what the actual gently caress" so I looked up the Indigenous Coalition for Israel.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indigenous_Coalition_for_Israel

The coalition does not speak for any government, so it's not an "embassy" in the meaningful sense. It was founded by a Christian Zionist from New Zealand, Alfred Ngaro, and academic Sheree Trotter. Its purpose in Israel is "educational and cultural initiatives" which I interpret as "pro-genocide public relations project".

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

HIDE ME, QUICK!

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I don't get why Taylor Swift needs all her money when she can live rent free in so many people's head.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Apple Pie Hubbub posted:

HIDE ME, QUICK!

This is the politoons version of trying to look up a recipe online.
Just shut up and get to the point!
I know there's no point. Prickly City hasn't made a point in years, if ever.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

It's an interesting fact that the Democratic Party was historically linked to both white supremacy and immigrant advocacy, but it's disingenuous to claim that these were necessarily the same Democrats, especially since many of those in the former camp were explicitly Protestant supremacists as well, which played a huge role in the second KKK.

But I don't think that's even what he's doing here? It's just a tortuous link between bad things the Democrats did in the past, and bad things they are doing today. Deeper cut than the usual right-wing fare, but it doesn't actually make sense when you analyze it.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Phlegmish posted:

It's an interesting fact that the Democratic Party was historically linked to both white supremacy and immigrant advocacy, but it's disingenuous to claim that these were necessarily the same Democrats, especially since many of those in the former camp were explicitly Protestant supremacists as well, which played a huge role in the second KKK.

But I don't think that's even what he's doing here? It's just a tortuous link between bad things the Democrats did in the past, and bad things they are doing today. Deeper cut than the usual right-wing fare, but it doesn't actually make sense when you analyze it.

A lot of it is dependent on pretending the southern strategy never existed.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
just loving lol

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

idonotlikepeas posted:

David M. Hitch

I don't know about you guys, but as a leftist, whenever I see the Koch brothers turn the money hose on a candidate that's how I know which horse I'm backing

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Rall: In Case of Fascism

Ted Rall posted:

Democrats say that Donald Trump is incredibly dangerous and cannot be allowed to ever be president again. If they really feel that way, why are they re-nominating Joe Biden? It’s not like he’s the strongest possible candidate.

First Dog on the Moon: What does Barnaby know that we do not? Does the secret lie in the mysterious fourth quadrant?

Nemesis is a TV documentary that I'm probably not going to see but apparently Barnaby Joyce (former Nationals leader and occasionally Acting PM) talked about his theory of the brain's three quadrants.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

idonotlikepeas posted:

Victar posted:

My first response to this was "what the actual gently caress" so I looked up the Indigenous Coalition for Israel.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indigenous_Coalition_for_Israel

The coalition does not speak for any government, so it's not an "embassy" in the meaningful sense. It was founded by a Christian Zionist from New Zealand, Alfred Ngaro, and academic Sheree Trotter. Its purpose in Israel is "educational and cultural initiatives" which I interpret as "pro-genocide public relations project".
Also even if what he was claiming was true, so what?

The Brythonic peoples are probably indigenous to Britain, but it's still racist when the BNP goes on about "indigenous Britons" and bombs immigration centers. It's racist when the so-called indigenous French and Germans claim to have been 'colonized' by Muslims or Turks. You don't get to act like a dick just because your genetic line has been somewhere for a while.

Kirschen has New World brain where 'indigenous' means 'unfairly oppressed by colonists' and takes that to 'therefore can do what I want.'

Telegnostic
Apr 24, 2008

In 1990, no one ever called the president "George H.W. Bush." That is a 2000s phenomenon. I really hope somebody got fired for that blunder.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Kellies nomination: Most Easily Reinterpreted

Because its true

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Just literally any crowd in any building is an insurrection by Democrat definition! There's no distinguishing features of this one, so just stop talking about it! Stop talking about it!

Stop talking about it!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Telegnostic posted:

In 1990, no one ever called the president "George H.W. Bush." That is a 2000s phenomenon. I really hope somebody got fired for that blunder.

How the gently caress old is Carmen goddamn

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
i mean do you really have to be awake to be a godmother. just wheel in her bed to the church. speak quietly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Brawnfire posted:

How the gently caress old is Carmen goddamn
She ran for Vice President in 2008 so by now she's at least fifty.