Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Chevy Slyme posted:

Quite frankly, calling this a spoiler is the sort of bullshit paranoia that makes people exhausted with legitimate spoiler warnings.

Yeah, it's like saying "LeVar Burton and Brent Spiner were great in all seven seasons of Star Trek: The Next Generation" is a spoiler.

No, it loving isn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I personally think obsession over spoilers is low key damaging, but in this case I'm ok with keeping that thread as a clean room and dropping in a reminder from time to time.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

sebmojo posted:

I think obsession over spoilers is actively damaging, but I'm ok with keeping that thread as a clean room and dropping in a reminder from time to time.

:hmmyes:

I support the clean room policy for those of you who still post in the Zorlons thread. I've hosed up too often, so I stay out of it. People who aren't dumb like me and can meaningfully participate within those guard rails should.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

They tell you how G'kar dies in the first episode

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

It's pretty easy. The choices are:

-shut the gently caress up and just read the thread to get the new viewers' reactions without posting in it, or

-incessantly rules lawyer over what is a spoiler anyway, maaaaaaan so you can play "I'm not touching you" games with people who don't have a quarter century of fandom behind them.

Since nerds generally can't engage in media discussions without trying to shove each other down a "well, actually" I almost always recommend the first.

Midjack fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jan 30, 2024

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I avoid the blind watch thread because I figure I have no reason to be in there having watched the entire show multiple times and since the very beginning.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Timby posted:

Yeah, it's like saying "LeVar Burton and Brent Spiner were great in all seven seasons of Star Trek: The Next Generation" is a spoiler.

No, it loving isn't.

:emptyquote:

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Timby posted:

No, it loving isn't.

It is tbh, since that statement implies that they're both in all seven seasons, meaning that their characters probably don't die.

Or, if one does die halfway through the second season, then that statement implies that they'll be back later (and consistently enough to be in all seven seasons).

You've effectively indicated future events, which is a spoiler.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

That's absolutely correct for normal spoiler rules. The newbies thread is not under normal spoiler rules. It's a clean room, absolutely no hints whatsoever.

e. Like that recent mention about Marcus and Ivanova. Nobody who knows what happens should be commenting on that.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Open Source Idiom posted:

It is tbh, since that statement implies that they're both in all seven seasons, meaning that their characters probably don't die.

Or, if one does die halfway through the second season, then that statement implies that they'll be back later (and consistently enough to be in all seven seasons).

You've effectively indicated future events, which is a spoiler.

Exactly, and B5 is not Star Trek when it comes to presuming a static principal cast. Mega Comrade has already had a "whoa, gently caress!" moment from Sinclair leaving the show at the end of S1 and it won't be the last.

Now by S2 it's already been strongly implied by Londo's premonition that G'Kar does survive the show, and by the end of S3 we've seen that premonition actually happen. But that doesn't alter the tension of the start of S4, because by then we've had Delenn telling John not to go to Z'Ha'Dum and implying that the future he went to can be changed. It wasn't 100% certain in my mind on first watch that G'Kar would survive. What does alter the tension is when someone says G'Kar was in all five seasons, because then you know he survives.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

mllaneza posted:

That's absolutely correct for normal spoiler rules. The newbies thread is not under normal spoiler rules. It's a clean room, absolutely no hints whatsoever.

e. Like that recent mention about Marcus and Ivanova. Nobody who knows what happens should be commenting on that.

Yea, it's less paranoia and lived experience of people who can't stop making cute references trying to one up each other directly into spoiler territory.

Mega Comrade posted:

Now that Winters has gone (for now) my least favourite character is Marcus.
He's doing that annoying thing British actors do in American shows, hamming up their accent and the animosity between him and Ivanova I'm guessing is a setup for a future romance

I love that this poster is so very correct but in the wrong way.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Jedit posted:

Exactly, and B5 is not Star Trek when it comes to presuming a static principal cast. Mega Comrade has already had a "whoa, gently caress!" moment from Sinclair leaving the show at the end of S1 and it won't be the last.

Now by S2 it's already been strongly implied by Londo's premonition that G'Kar does survive the show, and by the end of S3 we've seen that premonition actually happen. But that doesn't alter the tension of the start of S4, because by then we've had Delenn telling John not to go to Z'Ha'Dum and implying that the future he went to can be changed. It wasn't 100% certain in my mind on first watch that G'Kar would survive. What does alter the tension is when someone says G'Kar was in all five seasons, because then you know he survives.

Technically, he doesn’t survive the show because in the last episode he’s dead. So the G’kar “spoiler” isn’t precisely accurate.

Correcting it absolutely would be a spoiler, though.

The OP should have just written “G’kar is great in every scene he’s in” and avoided the whole thing. Better to post your “can’t resist the catnip” responses here.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

G'kar is his nickname, short for his full name: GreatKar

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Timby posted:

No, it loving isn't.

It loving is in a show where members of the cast actually dies.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Alhazred posted:

Oh, get off the high horse. Tasha Yar dies in season one of TNG. Dr. Crusher leaves for a season. Wesley Crusher goes to gently caress off with ... what, join the academy and then gets with a space pedo demigod or something?Just as much as "Denise Crosby quit TNG late in season 1," it's not a goddamn spoiler to note cast changes outside of the Sinclair / Sheridan switch.

B5, as much as I adore it, is a loving low-budget five-season sci-fi show from the '90s that ripped off Lord of the Rings whole-cloth, it's not some holy grail of fiction.

Timby fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Jan 31, 2024

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Alhazred posted:

:cripes:

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Timby posted:

Oh, get off the high horse. Tasha Yar dies in season one of TNG. Dr. Crusher leaves for a season. Wesley Crusher goes to gently caress off with ... what, join the academy and then gets with a space pedo demigod or something?Just as much as "Denise Crosby quit TNG late in season 1," it's not a goddamn spoiler to note cast changes outside of the Sinclair / Sheridan switch.

I don't get your point here. Those are all spoilers because they're something someone might not wish to know when they start a show because it might spoil their ability to experience a show without being guided by future knowledge, which like it or lump it is something people value.

Using spoiler bars is just basic respect. It doesn't matter how good a show is, it's about not being an arsehole.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

I'd expect someone coming blind to TNG now would find Denise Crosby leaving in the first season to be a shocker on the level of the Sinclair/Sheridan switch, maybe even more because it was on Trek, the most anodyne of SF franchises. That Timby immediately went to it as a first example just shows how invalid their argument is.

Another good example of why it's wrong to mention cast changes would be saying Claudia Christian isn't in S5. In the back half of S4 Ivanova is going into front line combat in a major war. If you know the actress isn't returning, would you be as surprised when she gets fatally wounded? And if it's clarified that she could have been in S5, the tension is lost completely because you know Ivanova will be saved.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Enough, please. I will maintain the clean room thread, and feel free to pm me if you think it needs a nudge.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I think there's an episode where a guy stabs somebody to deatha and says "FREE MARS" in a really stern way. I feel like that would be a really funny way to die.

I had a dream of a scene where a guy walks up to President Sheridan and stabs him, shouting "FREE MARS" and Sheridan has this perplexed look on his face saying "I... Did?"

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I think there's an episode where a guy stabs somebody to deatha and says "FREE MARS" in a really stern way. I feel like that would be a really funny way to die.

I had a dream of a scene where a guy walks up to President Sheridan and stabs him, shouting "FREE MARS" and Sheridan has this perplexed look on his face saying "I... Did?"

FREE MARS with purchase of any planet at regular price.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Greatest Trek is in pilot season where they are watching pilots of other 90s sci-fi shows and next Friday their episode will be "Midnight at the Firing Line" so I was rewatching it tonight, and God drat what a great pilot episode.

This irrationally annoys me because Midnight at the Firing Line wasn't the pilot, The Gathering was.

Pilot is not synonymous with first episode, god drat it!! :argh:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I'm gonna call Midnight at the Firing Line the pilot cause anyone watching the gathering probably gonna turn that poo poo off pretty fast

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
"Everyone lies, Michael. The innocent lie because they don't want to be blamed for something they didn't do, and the guilty lie because they don't have any other choice. John Wick of Dogs lies because he's a terrible monster who doesn't care about the truth." :v:

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.

I'm gonna call Midnight at the Firing Line the pilot cause anyone watching the gathering probably gonna turn that poo poo off pretty fast

Pretty sure you don't have to worry about scaring anyone in this thread away from Babylon 5.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

.... cause anyone watching the gathering probably gonna turn that poo poo off pretty fast

I guess you didn't watch it back in 93. :shrug:

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

I've started another watch through of the series and I began with The Gathering, as is right and proper. :lofty:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The whole point of a pilot is that it's more of a proof of concept than anything else. You don't have full funding for the show proper and you don't really know if you'll get more or less than you're getting now. You don't really know for sure what it'll look like once it's off the page, so you're trying your best to get the general vibe out and get a few important setpieces in place so that execs can rule on it, and you can tweak everything for when it's time to make the actual product.

B5 is unusual for including it directly in the narrative (a lot of pilots never even publicly air), but it still shifted a lot of things from the movie to show. Most notably they almost entirely do away with the Alien sector, but also there's a lot of tweaks to makeup and characterization. And of course, they didn't finalize the contracts for a lot of the cast and would add in a couple extra regulars for the show proper.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Just Another Lurker posted:

I guess you didn't watch it back in 93. :shrug:

I didn't hear about the show until 95, I eventually watched the gathering but it's completely extraneous. The first episode tells you everything you need and is overall much better.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I blame Pulp Fiction for simultaneously making people aware of the concept of pilots, and somehow inducing 90% of those people to completely misinterpret it

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
As I recall the first episode of Battlestar Galactica was way better than the pilot as well.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

As I recall the first episode of Battlestar Galactica was way better than the pilot as well.

33 is a great first episode but if you are already hooked by the pilot then there is no downside. :)

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Are you counting the pilot as the mini series?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

This irrationally annoys me because Midnight at the Firing Line wasn't the pilot, The Gathering was.

Pilot is not synonymous with first episode, god drat it!! :argh:

Midnight on the Firing Line is what is sometimes called a second pilot. A second pilot introduces the series proper in the same way that a pilot would, and without any need for viewers to have seen the actual pilot episode, but it's made within the framework of a season rather than standing alone.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

CainFortea posted:

The BSG miniseries was absolutely a pilot. It set everything up for the series, but was self-contained enough that the audience could have just wondered how that worked out if we didn't get the series. 33' in its turn was a fantastic episode and a deeply set hook in people who hadn't seen the miniseries. Honestly, it'd be hard to do better setting up a new series than following up an excellent miniseries with an absolute banger of a first episode.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

CainFortea posted:

Yeah, but I forgot it was a mini series. I saw it after the second season and found it bloated and unnecessary after 33.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Watched episode 3 last night (the one where Londo fucks) and at one point the bad guy(was that enabran tain?) sends some goons to shoot at Londo and Sinclair, this one dude with wraparound sunglasses is the most 90s goon I've ever seen

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Watched that recently and I think it's the same guy who's on the quest for the Holy Grail in a later episode. But yeah I had the same thought when I saw wraparound shades guy. I recently played through Planescape Torment and it seems to have made me more sensitive to the sheer 90's-ness of B5.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

This dude lives on a space station which is often poorly lit in the places he does the most business, and has no visibility to a sun at all in most circumstances, but he'll be goddamned if he isn't wearing those sweet wraparounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I don't remember that specific guy, but B5 was chock full of what I like to call '1994 JC Penney catalog' fashion; especially the first half of the series. I thought it was nostalgic in a weird sort of way.