Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

blastron posted:

Let's not kid ourselves, we're all going to watch it anyway read an online plot synopsis and maybe look at a few clips on youtube

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Dukat was always talking about how he was great for Bajor because he marginally reduced the rate people died in slave labor camps, without ever understanding that there were still slave labor camps, so nobody's going to give him the medal or statue he thinks he deserves for it.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
Dukat's whole thing was that he could seem genial and pleasant sometimes but that he was in actuality a horrible monster. He's a coward, a hypocrite, and a genocidaire, but he has convinced himself that he's a decent family man and a patriot. He is picture perfect as a fascist; a lovely middle manager with delusions of grandeur and an insane victim complex despite absolutely drowning in privilege.

He is one of the best characters in all of television.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!

W.T. Fits posted:

My only interest in Section 31 is watching Lower Decks lampoon the hell out of it at the first opportunity they get.

They already got a good dig in with pointing out the absurdity of them having special black comm badges when they're supposed to be a secret clandestine organization. Give me more of that.

Maybe the Section 31 show will be a comedy. Just hijinks and slapstick in-between asking how many lights people see.

OGS-Remix fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Jan 31, 2024

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

blastron posted:

Let's not kid ourselves, we're all going to watch it anyway.

Not me. Not a lot of people here, I'd imagine. The days of me giving a show labelled 'Star Trek' the benefit of the doubt are over.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

FishFood posted:

Dukat's whole thing was that he could seem genial and pleasant sometimes but that he was in actuality a horrible monster. He's a coward, a hypocrite, and a genocidaire, but he has convinced himself that he's a decent family man and a patriot. He is picture perfect as a fascist; a lovely middle manager with delusions of grandeur and an insane victim complex despite absolutely drowning in privilege.

He is one of the best characters in all of television.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

ashpanash posted:

Not me. Not a lot of people here, I'd imagine. The days of me giving a show labelled 'Star Trek' the benefit of the doubt are over.
Yeah, I bounced off Discovery S1 hard and anything else trying to explore the dark side of the Federation really doesn't interest me. Unless this thread somehow gives it rave reviews I'll just read the summary on Memory Alpha and stick with the optimistic Treks.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

looking forward to them running out of ideas immediately and the plot is just section 31 vs a dark shadowy evil intel agency within the federation, known only as section 31(a)

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

well why not posted:

I don't know what lesson I'm meant to learn from space turbo-hitler being 'reformed'. It's just really uncomfortable that history's greatest monster is now part of their "found family".

Its just modern Star Trek, rule of cool and not a one thought about implications or consequences. Jack Cruscher did only a slight treason and got fleet+starbase worth of officers and civilians killed, and we are supposed to cheer for him to go on carrying the Picard legacy. Burnham disobeys orders, abandons her post and friends so frequently you can set you watch based on it.

Both keep getting kicked upstairs because of rule of cool and plot armor, whereas in real life other would have been shot as a traitor and the other thrown out of starfleet for insubordination. Implied nepobabies or not.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

ashpanash posted:

Picard S3 was so bad it really sunburned on me watching poo poo just for the hell of it. Wasn't even fun badwatching anymore. Second hand viewing will be close enough for this show. It's just so inconceivably incompatible with any of the things I like about this setting I don't even wanna be annoyed at the people in it for doing the terrible job they've agreed to.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

well why not posted:

For contrast, in Stargate SG-1, Teal'c is the former right-hand-man of a big bad dude. Even that show has the werewithal to reveal / retcon that he hated his boss for a long time, and was working to undermine him and protect innocents in secret .

There's also a really good conversation late in the Ori seasons where Teal'c gets asked how you forgive yourself for the things you've done and move on, and his answer is a very blunt statement that you don't. And Can't. You just keep going and make sure nobody else has to experience the horrors you once inflicted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEaOxGJm87A

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Jan 31, 2024

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Are Paramount entirely unaware of what Star Trek fans want or is this forum kind of an oddity in the fandom? Are vast swaths of Star Trek fans desperate for more Section 31 content?

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

PriorMarcus posted:

Are Paramount entirely unaware of what Star Trek fans want or is this forum kind of an oddity in the fandom? Are vast swaths of Star Trek fans desperate for more Section 31 content?

"Its a cool spy organization which does hard choices and isn't goody-two-shoes like the rest to keep the federation safe." Rule of cool, no thought whatsoever about implications or consequences.

And yes this place is one of the places where any criticism towards the shows, writing, or showrunners isn't strangled to the crib by the mods.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

PriorMarcus posted:

tbh you can't just make content that you think existing fans will like, because half the time fans have no loving idea what they actually want, and will complain about anything new.

on the other hand, Paramount probably has no idea what makes Star Trek actually good, so they probably are thinking "GRIM and GRITTY Star Trek = $$$"

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

prestige

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

"what is the price of Utopia" is a topic I am obviously interested in, I just don't trust this creative team to approach it in a way that makes sense for the setting or is, you know, actually good.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
People also did seem to really like Michelle Yeoh character, cos well yeah she's a really good actor and it is a pretty fun character that gave her a lot to work with.

Probably hoping for another Pike SNW thing. Which same, really good actor with a character that has a lot to work with, but importantly that character also works really well in the star trek world as well, which is why SNW works. No matter how well Anson mount played pike would make SNW work if that as the only thing it had going for it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I miss Prime Universe Yeoh.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

PriorMarcus posted:

A lot of people loved Picard.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Lot of people loved hitler

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

There's also a really good conversation late in the Ori seasons where Teal'c gets asked how you forgive yourself for the things you've done and move on, and his answer is a very blunt statement that you don't. And Can't. You just keep going and make sure nobody else has to experience the horrors you once inflicted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEaOxGJm87A

Teal'c's extraordinary moral clarity is a big part of why he works so well. That, and he's an extremely decisive person. When he's put on trial by locals for the past, he willingly complies despite his team offering to rescue him because he legitimately believes people deserve justice for the things he did as First Prime.

Also, the fact that he wanted to help from the beginning is pretty apparent even in the pilot. The thing that gets him to turn on his masters is O'Neil telling him he can save these refugees if Teal'c helps, and the response is "Many have made this offer. And you are the first I believe."

Teal'c is just a fantastic example of how to do his kind of character.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

PriorMarcus posted:

This project absolutely would not be happening if they didn’t have a name like Michelle Yeoh attached

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
Yeah, its that a recurring cast member they were considering doing more with won an Oscar, and even as P+ is dealing with all sorts of issues, you gotta do something with a very recent Oscar winner.

(obviously, she was a big deal even before being validated by the Oscars, but it certainly helped!)

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

MikeJF posted:

I miss Prime Universe Yeoh.

It's so stupid they went so far out of their way to yank her evil mirror twin to bring her back to the universe instead of just going out of their way to bring a good one back.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Der Kyhe posted:

Its just modern Star Trek, rule of cool and not a one thought about implications or consequences. Jack Cruscher did only a slight treason and got fleet+starbase worth of officers and civilians killed, and we are supposed to cheer for him to go on carrying the Picard legacy. Burnham disobeys orders, abandons her post and friends so frequently you can set you watch based on it.

Both keep getting kicked upstairs because of rule of cool and plot armor, whereas in real life other would have been shot as a traitor and the other thrown out of starfleet for insubordination. Implied nepobabies or not.

Let's not bring up "whereas in real life" as a criticism of Modern Trek cause Old Trek isn't going to stand up to that scrutiny either.

That being said I will watch Michelle Yeoh be Space Hitler given a second chance at life because Michelle Yeoh owns. I hope she does a butterfly kick over a disruptor shot and then stabs someone with a space sword.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Clouseau posted:

Yeah, its that a recurring cast member they were considering doing more with won an Oscar, and even as P+ is dealing with all sorts of issues, you gotta do something with a very recent Oscar winner.

(obviously, she was a big deal even before being validated by the Oscars, but it certainly helped!)
It’s also a reflection of how Paramount Plus has been losing money, because the original plan was a full series, which got whittled down to a miniseries, which then became a movie after Yeoh won the Oscar

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

Section 31 was an excellent idea that much like the Borg has become horribly mutated and diluted with overuse. It was a great example of how careful one must be in how a utopia is defended and how ideals and morals are so often ignored when people are given deniability. They were unambiguously presented as antagonists and a betrayal of the ideals of the federation hiding behind a warped sense of "the greater good".

It would be like if there was some shadow organization inside the US government that had been rigging elections and secretly assassinating people whose fallback is their oath was to defend against threats foreign and domestic. A threat being anyone who doesn't agree with what they think. That's what Section 31 should be, bad people clinging to some shred of legitimacy that doesn't actually exist.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I predict the plot of Section 31 will be Michelle Yeoh destroying it because through her experiences she has learned their thinking is wrong. And that's why Section 31 in DS9 times is just one weirdo.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Gangringo posted:

Section 31 was an excellent idea that much like the Borg has become horribly mutated and diluted with overuse. It was a great example of how careful one must be in how a utopia is defended and how ideals and morals are so often ignored when people are given deniability. They were unambiguously presented as antagonists and a betrayal of the ideals of the federation hiding behind a warped sense of "the greater good".

It would be like if there was some shadow organization inside the US government that had been rigging elections and secretly assassinating people whose fallback is their oath was to defend against threats foreign and domestic. A threat being anyone who doesn't agree with what they think. That's what Section 31 should be, bad people clinging to some shred of legitimacy that doesn't actually exist.

So it’s Blue Bloods/NCIS/FBI/et al for Star Trek

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I forgot it was a movie now lol. Well that's fewer hours of bad material produces so that's good. On the other hand, even a good Trek movie concept and execution caps out at like 40% as good as a decent episode of the equivalent series, and that would be DISCO in this case.

What's the best episode of Disco anyway? The first two that came to mind were SNW episodes, oops

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Khanstant posted:

I forgot it was a movie now lol. Well that's fewer hours of bad material produces so that's good. On the other hand, even a good Trek movie concept and execution caps out at like 40% as good as a decent episode of the equivalent series, and that would be DISCO in this case.

What's the best episode of Disco anyway? The first two that came to mind were SNW episodes, oops
The ‘Groundhog Day’ time loop episode with Harry Mudd from Season 1

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
I still think I’d have preferred Yeoh to come back for a mirror universe movie, but I suspect that would be considered a retread of that dumb 2-part story in Discovery S3

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
And the mirror universe doesn’t stand up to any kind of scrutiny. I honestly really like the idea that it doesn’t exist when someone from the prime universe isn’t there.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I want a show set entirely in the turbolift dimension

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

The_Doctor posted:

And the mirror universe doesn’t stand up to any kind of scrutiny. I honestly really like the idea that it doesn’t exist when someone from the prime universe isn’t there.

Makes sense, a mirror can't reflect someone that's not standing in front of it

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

The thing about section 31 is that they're just lovely fascists being lovely fascists. If the Starfleet charter didn't have section 31 article 14 they would still be lovely fascists in Starfleet doing all the same poo poo without the catchy name.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

The ‘Groundhog Day’ time loop episode with Harry Mudd from Season 1

Magic To Make The Sanest Man Go Mad, which I will always recall because it's just as goofy as any title from TOS

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I predict the plot of Section 31 will be Michelle Yeoh destroying it because through her experiences she has learned their thinking is wrong. And that's why Section 31 in DS9 times is just one weirdo.

This but the ending is her waking up on the Enterprise-G

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The_Doctor posted:

Doesn't square with DS9 where Smiley, Barial, and Jennifer visited from the mirror dimension of their own volition without anybody bringing them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Doesn't square with DS9 where Smiley, Barial, and Jennifer visited from the mirror dimension of their own volition without anybody bringing them.

that was the real O'Brien, he accidentally soul swapped into the mirror universe a while back while trying to fix the transporters.