Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Tree Dude posted:

N... T... Z...

N... T... Z...

That's Nancy..... Tom..... Zulu

Nancy Tom Zulu. NTZ. Short for Nita... zoxanide. Nitazoxanide.

N-I-T-A-Z-O-X-A-N-I-D-Z [sic]

NTZ

Nancy Tom Zulu

That guy sounded exactly like Harrison at first so I thought he was just faking having a guest on lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

One of my favorite bits is when Alex has a terrible guest like that guy on and realizes it partway through and he's stuck here now. It's great.

E: Who the gently caress is this guy pretending to be a mob boss in the Sweary Kerry Lake recording? I don't gotta hand it to her but this dude is such a dipshit.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jan 29, 2024

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Grand Fromage posted:

One of my favorite bits is when Alex has a terrible guest like that guy on and realizes it partway through and he's stuck here now. It's great.

E: Who the gently caress is this guy pretending to be a mob boss in the Sweary Kerry Lake recording? I don't gotta hand it to her but this dude is such a dipshit.

quote:

Jeff DeWit, a former Arizona treasurer and Trump adviser, resigned as chair of the state GOP on Wednesday following the release of an audio recording in which he offered Kari Lake a lucrative job if she quits her U.S. Senate race.

In a written statement, DeWit said Lake's team had threatened him with the potential release of a "new, more damaging recording" unless he resigned immediately.

"I am truly unsure of its contents, but considering our numerous past open conversations as friends, I have decided not to take the risk," he wrote. He added that he hopes she stops attacking him so he can return to the business world, "a field I find much more logical and prefer over politics."

In a live video on web-hosting platform Rumble on Wednesday evening, Lake criticized DeWit's remarks as well as his resignation letter for not including an apology to Arizonans.

This is one of the worst things I've ever heard," Lake said of the recording she made. "It was so corrupt."

DeWit was elected to chair the Arizona GOP in January 2023. He was the chief operating officer for former President Donald Trump’s 2016 and 2020 campaigns. Trump later named him chief financial officer of NASA. He took over the Arizona GOP in January 2023 with a mission to unite and raise funds both from Trump's base and Republicans who don't support the former president.

Lake, who lost the 2022 governor's race to Democrat Katie Hobbs, apparently leaked the recording to the Daily Mail, which was the first news outlet to publish it. DeWit tells Lake in the recording that "powerful people" don't want her to run for Senate and asked her to consider taking their suggestion for a job and a two-year "pause."

I'll tell you what I'm offering you," DeWit told her, saying there would be companies that could put her on the payroll. He repeatedly told her not to tell anyone about the conversation.

"I can't be bought," Lake responded.

"C'mon," DeWit urged her.

DeWit also said in the recording that he doubts Trump can win reelection due to fundraising problems. Lake responded: “This is about defeating Trump and I think that’s a bad, bad thing for our country.”

DeWit said in his statement that while he said things he regrets, he now believes Lake set up him and was a "betrayal" of their friendship. The recording came from a private conversation they had a year ago while she worked for a company he owns. He doesn't say in the statement which company, but in a 2022 financial disclosure, Lake reported working as a communication adviser for FeedMe Inc. in 2021 and 2022. The company is an earlier iteration of Superfeed Technologies, a campaign-promoting app company for which DeWit serves as CEO.

"I believe she orchestrated this entire situation to have control over the state party, and it is obvious from the recording that she crafted her performance responses with the knowledge that she was recording it, intending to use this recording later to portray herself as a hero in her own story," he wrote. "I question how effective a United States Senator can be when they cannot be trusted to engage in private and confidential conversations."

He acknowledged that he did offer her to leave the Senate race and try again for governor in two years, "it was a suggestion made in good faith, believe it could benefit both her future prospects and the party's overall strategy."

In her address on Wednesday, Lake did not answer a question about why it took her 10 months to release the recording.

She said she decided it was something she had to talk about at the Conservative Political Action Conference in Washington, D.C., despite DeWit's desire to keep the offer quiet. Her CPAC speech included an allegation that she was "bribed" by a powerful person, but she didn't give details then.

She listened to the recording again only a few days ago, she said.

DeWit took over the party following four years of leadership by former lawmaker Kelli Ward, a prominent Trump supporter who falsely claimed to be an elector for Trump after he lost the 2020 election. The state party moved to a new headquarters last year but nearly went broke as donors wary of racking up more election losses dried up.

Fundraising has improved recently, though. The party announced last month it had a "record-breaking" last quarter of 2023, collecting more than $670,000 from over 7,500 donors.

DeWit said he remains a solid Trump advocate who is "eager to see him return to the White House."

The party should focus on unity and selecting quality candidates, he wrote.

We are weakened by internal strife, underhanded tactics, and the erosion of trust," he wrote.

The state party's bylaws say the state committee should schedule a special meeting within 45 days to fill a vacancy of the chair, unless a mandatory meeting is scheduled within 90 days. The Republican State Committee is scheduled to hold its annual mandatory meeting on Jan. 27, but officials haven't yet said if a new chair will be appointed or elected then.

Former state lawmaker Jill Norgaard, the state party's first vice-chair, will serve as acting chair in the interim.”

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/politics/arizona/2024/01/24/jeff-dewit-arizona-gop-chair-resigns-after-kari-lake-offer/72340721007/

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I'm still just slowly chipping away at the "debate" (tried to have massive fuckin quotes around that one) episode, but I just have to ask... has anyone involved in that trainwreck actually said anything after the fact about it?

The sad part was, other than Alex Jones, the other people involved in that actually seemed to want to pay lipservice to having a debate, if not actually having a debate. The discussion when Alex Jones was "taking a piss" was sorta-kinda interested because it people actually talking and not just Alex Jones trying to host his show over 5 people talking about something else.

0konner
Nov 17, 2016

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Dan should’ve added in the weirdest part of Alex’s coverage of the Lake recording that he brought up at least twice covering it. There’s a part where the audios distorted, to me it sounds like some kind of bag or paper is being crumpled near the mic. But Alex asserts it’s the sound of Kari Lake eating carrot sticks so he can chuckle about how beautiful women are always snacking on carrots and celery to watch their figures. It’s all in the same weird paternalistic/horny tone you can hear on the last ep where he mentions waitresses “always” getting better tips when they call him “darling”.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Come on guys, his countenance changed

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Randalor posted:

The sad part was, other than Alex Jones, the other people involved in that actually seemed to want to pay lipservice to having a debate, if not actually having a debate

I don't think so. They went on Alex Jones's show to do it, they had to know nothing worth saying was going to be said. It'd be like the washington generals thinking they're going out to play a real game of basketball

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I don't think so. They went on Alex Jones's show to do it, they had to know nothing worth saying was going to be said. It'd be like the washington generals thinking they're going out to play a real game of basketball

Oh, no, but they were actually talking, and having a back-and-forth discussion rather that whatever-the-gently caress that was when Alex was there. Like I said, at the very least pretending to have an actual debate.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
I think I am getting AJ brain, because I'm pretty sure that HBO's 1997 satire The Second Civil War is now predictive programming.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Marsupial Ape posted:

I think I am getting AJ brain, because I'm pretty sure that HBO's 1997 satire The Second Civil War is now predictive programming.

Predictive programming, or the fact that satire and speculative fiction is just pointing out what is already there? The same problems from 1997 are still here in 2024, just dumber and with a newer coat of paint on them

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

rotinaj posted:

Predictive programming, or the fact that satire and speculative fiction is just pointing out what is already there? The same problems from 1997 are still here in 2024, just dumber and with a newer coat of paint on them

Yeah, but I was high and remembered a movie I saw when I was 16. That is significant.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Marsupial Ape posted:

Yeah, but I was high and remembered a movie I saw when I was 16. That is significant.

Okay NOW I am in with this being a big conspiracy

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

rotinaj posted:

Okay NOW I am in with this being a big conspiracy

Yeah, dude, it’s all about context!

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Man, this episode was... frustrating beyond belief. I don't think Jordan did a bad job as an interviewer, other than his usual habit of dipping a little too far into colorful hyperbole that made it easy to laugh off some of his points. But man, gently caress Stelter. He is every bit as much of a coward as I remember from seeing him on CNN with how he refuses to acknowledge any kind of personal stake in politics or stand for literally anything other than "be nice to journalists, pretty please."

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

Generic American posted:

Man, this episode was... frustrating beyond belief. I don't think Jordan did a bad job as an interviewer, other than his usual habit of dipping a little too far into colorful hyperbole that made it easy to laugh off some of his points. But man, gently caress Stelter. He is every bit as much of a coward as I remember from seeing him on CNN with how he refuses to acknowledge any kind of personal stake in politics or stand for literally anything other than "be nice to journalists, pretty please."

Nah. The whole point of Jordan's raving doomer schtick is that it's a counter balance to Dan's cool collected calculus which results in humor. In this interview he kept returning to his nebulous question of why Stelter wasn't a raving doomer like himself, which just isn't as funny a question as Jordan seems to think. Stelter answered as best he could, but Jordan just kept asking his same question over and over in less articulate ways. It was clear that Stelter was frustrated with how Jordan seemed incapable of absorbing anything he said to carry on a cohesive conversation.

Jordan, please think of a more than one question! And find a pronoun other than "you" to use when speaking about people, your lack of specificity is seriously confusing.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Stelter is a coward unwilling to break journalistic kayfabe

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It's very easy for someone like Stelter to just dismiss Jordan given how often he'll just toss off some poo poo he made up or heard on twitter once for the point he's trying to make. When you have an almost childlike binary black and white worldview it doesn't take much to break those points. Dan knows Jordan's heart is in the right place so he's willing to walk through it to the reality, but if you're just some rando why would you?

The show's a perfect pairing. I don't think either the Jordan only or Dan only episodes work that well. Together it's magic.

E: Stelter's "don't call those guys with the Nazi flags fascists, we just disagree" thing also sucks to be clear. Not pro-STEEEEEEEEELTEEEEEEEERR, THE ENEMYYYYY

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jan 31, 2024

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
Jordan's an anarchist arguing with a liberal, and those conversations are always going to go in circles

Stelter seems nice enough, though

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

It's very funny that there's this whole constructed world around Stelter being a literal demon and he's the most generic beige dude imaginable.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

I would say that the much bigger problem for me was how Stelter just kept retreating over and over to his comfortable little dichotomy between "true believers" in conservatism (the good people) and "bad faith actors" (the bad people) at Fox without ever engaging with Jordan's attempts to walk him through the chain of why the true believers are every bit as dangerous or that they could also be lying and he just doesn't (want to) realize it yet. Which is just downright laughable with how naïve it is for Stelter to believe in this fantasy world where every single fascist is clearly and visibly a bad actor from the jump when their entire strategy revolves around laundering their ideology through the exact same kind of people that he would have friendly dinners with. That you probably could've asked him about Tucker Carlson back in 2012 and he probably would've given the tried and true "I don't agree with his views, but at the end of the day we both want what's good for this country" speech instead of calling him a liar.

Also his dodge on Jordan's point how openly evil Reagan was and how that should be a sign of how long this has been a problem? That was just embarrassing for someone who claims to be any kind of political expert. "Oh, that was before my time." He can gently caress right off with that bullshit.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
Stelter doesn't seem to understand that what he calls good faith actors are giving cover for howling fascists, which by definition makes them either liars or naive. Like, if you work at an organization that employs Tucker Carlson, you're helping Tucker Carlson, which means you're morally okay with Tucker Carlson existing.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Froghammer posted:

Stelter doesn't seem to understand that is incentivized to believe that what he calls good faith actors are giving cover for howling fascists, which by definition makes them either liars or naive.is covering his rear end and pretending he is not complicit

:hmmyes:

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
idk man, ranking Stelter as being equally evil to anyone employed at Fox is a bit of a stretch

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Froghammer posted:

idk man, ranking Stelter as being equally evil to anyone employed at Fox is a bit of a stretch

I am not sure where exactly you misread me as saying “equally evil”, but I was saying that the centrist libs who do that kind of poo poo are complicit and will bend themselves into pretzels to ignore that

Complicit and equally evil are not the same thing, just that stelter and his like are not as innocent as they like to behave and believe

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Froghammer posted:

When he is the exact sort of media figure who (in fairness, I can't remember if he covered it back then, so I'm speaking generally about CNN here rather than Stelter, who is just stubbornly clinging to that worldview) stood up and dramatically screeched "how DARE you, good sir!" in solidarity with Fox News to Obama during his presidency when he called them destructive and started taking their questions less often during press conferences, I really don't think it is that big of a reach. If you go out of your way to use your credibility to defend the sacred honor of racists or show more concern over calling them out than their actions to directly hurt people, then I think that makes you pretty drat complicit.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

"Well I'm not going to call the racists racist but..." was enough for me. Completely decorum poisoned

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

rotinaj posted:

I am not sure where exactly you misread me as saying “equally evil”, but I was saying that the centrist libs who do that kind of poo poo are complicit and will bend themselves into pretzels to ignore that

Complicit and equally evil are not the same thing, just that stelter and his like are not as innocent as they like to behave and believe
That's fair, in retrospect I'm using the transitive property to assign you a position that you probably don't have. If being complicit with fascists makes someone functionally a fascist, and Stelter's complicit with the people that are complicit with fascists, my brain jumps to criticism of Stelter as being equally complicit as the stooges he deals with. Which wasn't what you were saying.

At the end of the day he's a member of the mainstream liberal media empire, which exists to farm outrage over the conservative media empire, so of course he's going to maintain a business relationship with people that, if he were principled, he should punch in the mouth. Stelter said a lot of stuff that made me frustrated, but "I've talked to people that work at Fox News because I'm a journalist and that's how you do journalism at this level" wasn't one of them.

Megabound posted:

"Well I'm not going to call the racists racist but..." was enough for me. Completely decorum poisoned
Absolutely

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Froghammer posted:

Stelter said a lot of stuff that made me frustrated, but "I've talked to people that work at Fox News because I'm a journalist and that's how you do journalism at this level" wasn't one of them.

Stenography isn't journalism, and if you just take what everyone tells you at face value and never look into any claims or look at the actual truth, you're a stenographer

Piell fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jan 31, 2024

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

All I could think of during the interview was that, “man, his books sales must be sucking”.

I agree that Dan and Jordan come across like the perfect pair. Jordan does well with some interviews if they can realize that they live in the same reality. Guys like Stelter live in a different reality where Fox guys like Wallace can come and work at CNN so you walk a thin line about complicit individuals. Stelter wants a reality where the people he likes are good and the people he does not like are bad. He is awfully close to cheerleading his “team” over the other team without realizing that his “team” includes bad people as well.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
I dunno if I would say that Stelter is complicit, but he does have that boomer mindset where your howling fascist neighbors with their confederate flags, etc. are fundamentally good people who can be reasoned with, which is the same mentality that ultimately got us 4 uninterrupted years of trump presidency.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mercury_Storm posted:

I dunno if I would say that Stelter is complicit, but he does have that boomer mindset where your howling fascist neighbors with their confederate flags, etc. are fundamentally good people who can be reasoned with, which is the same mentality that ultimately got us 4 uninterrupted years of trump presidency.

That sounds pretty complicit to me

rich thick and creamy
May 23, 2005

To whip it, Whip it good
Pillbug

rotinaj posted:

That sounds pretty complicit to me

Agreed. If your repertoire of anecdotes includes that time you shared the dance floor with Maria Bartiromo at a private party during Davos... you might be part of the problem.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

In addition to moral questions, I just plain don't give a flying gently caress what Brian Stelter has to say. He's a boring man and he's only relevant to the podcast in as much as Alex has the weird hate-boner for him. There's no relevant substance to the interview.

I shut it off after 5-10 minutes and listened to The David Grisman Quintet instead. I'm pretty sure I had a significantly more pleasurable time than had I continued to listen to that talking thumb's opinions.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
The difference between Stelter as imagined by Alex Jones and Stelter the actual person is hilarious.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Jordan's guesting on a podcast called Coast to Coast PM. I hope this is good, Coast to Coast is such a rich source and if these dudes are funny this could fill the Wacky Wednesday-shaped hole in my heart.

E: poo poo they're like a hundred eps deep. Please be good I want this.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I finished listening to the second part of the debate "special" and, not gonna lie, I kept expecting Dan to say, "And this is when Alex tried to beat Destiny to a pulp and everyone else had to restrain him". Alex was just outright slurring almost all his speech by the end, it sounded like it was an absolute shitshow even by absolute shitshow standards.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Grand Fromage posted:

Jordan's guesting on a podcast called Coast to Coast PM. I hope this is good, Coast to Coast is such a rich source and if these dudes are funny this could fill the Wacky Wednesday-shaped hole in my heart.

Please report back. Especially if it’s more investigative/informative rather than purely comedic.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

Randalor posted:

I finished listening to the second part of the debate "special" and, not gonna lie, I kept expecting Dan to say, "And this is when Alex tried to beat Destiny to a pulp and everyone else had to restrain him". Alex was just outright slurring almost all his speech by the end, it sounded like it was an absolute shitshow even by absolute shitshow standards.

Twitter is going to come through with those reports proving everything Alex said to be correct any day now.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

Grand Fromage posted:

This is great. Thanks for the heads up. Very much like a Project Camelot episode. Jordan is arguably the least annoying and least loud somehow, though. There's some audio leveling that didn't happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Just a heads up someone who claims to have Alex Jones paintings from 1995 has a couple topics with pictures on the KF reddit.

edit: nevermind the posts have been deleted. weird.

Tree Dude fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Feb 2, 2024