Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Jakosa posted:

I finally managed to do it. One thing that helped was that I managed to kill a level 4 guy on Ground Zero that had some of the best gear I've even seen, including an AK 545 with the ELCAN 1x/4x scope. I took that into Woods and it helped me spot at least one PMC and avoid him.

Just before Jaeger's camp a scav attacked me and I killed him. But the noise attracted a player and he took some shots at me before I could get the letter. I retreated and waited a bit and had some players run really close to me, but they didn't see me. Then I got the letter and ZB-16 was open and I got out.

I'm beginning to get my bearings on the map and that helps make it more enjoyable. I still haven't figured out the mine field at the USEC camp. When I spawn there, I run into it every time :)

The mines are in a belt to the west of the camp

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/escapefromtarkov_gamepedia/images/f/f4/Search_Mission_map.png/revision/latest?cb=20230307204517

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
I'm tempted to play stalker, but the graphics annoy me and I'm a snob.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

I love Stalker, a lot, but I really enjoy the mechanics of Tarkov a little more. Gun handling feels really great and the weapon modding is unparalleled. I would love a cohesive single player game with some better AI.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

I'm tempted to play stalker, but the graphics annoy me and I'm a snob.

The character models and animations are definitely dated, but the lighting, shadow and effects are not that much worse than Tarkov- sometimes, depending on the scene, I think they could even be better

Sometimes it's a really pretty game

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
I am looking forward to playing the new one at the end of the year though, I'll be playing that and no doubt comparing it to Tarkov.

Tibbeh
Apr 5, 2010

Bohemian Nights posted:

Agreed, but luckily S.t.a.l.k.e.r:: Anomaly: Gamma isn't too far removed from exactly that! And it's free!

e: I imagine there's already quite a bit of crossover between stalker and tarkov goons, but if there's even one of you that haven't given gamma a go, do yourself a favor and check out the how-to-install guide on the discord link, and the stalker thread is mostly people playing anomaly anyway, so if you run into any problems :justpost:

Did I mention it's free?

I've already put several hundred hours into GAMMA and I love it, but I was thinking more of enjoying tarkov's looting and PvP aspect mixed with that delicious STALKER atmosphere

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
I feel bad. I got shot at while scavving and I booked it to the extract. I heard footsteps following me while I was extracting and I thought it was a PMC.

Killed him and he was a fully loaded scav with a giant backpack.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

He shot at you, no mercy. Hopefully he learned a lesson: when you are fully loaded, don't shoot at people unless you absolutely have to.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

With pscavs spawning in at the beginning of streets, wearing the cartoon hockey masks on my pmc feels op

Jakosa
Dec 28, 2021

My issue is more that I don't recognize where I am on the map as I run into the area to the west of the camp and get blown up.

But I am getting better at it. I did some of Jaeger's bolt-action quests yesterday and it was awesome. I really like Woods now. But I still run into the mines :D

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

are raids a little safer at night or are most people just running night vision goggles?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Tibbeh posted:

Tarkov but it's STALKER would own honestly
I have been saying this for years. also emissions would be a much cooler/more flavorful reason to have raid timers than just "you went MIA"

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

ROFLburger posted:

are raids a little safer at night or are most people just running night vision goggles?

until people get reliable flir you'll be ok. they help but not that much. moonlight is pretty strong right now.

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010
Any Setup tips? Is piranha the meta, or should i switch to magnum or a slug?

This poo poo is rough.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

haven't been playing this wipe, but have you tried flechette? used to be great but that was before the armor changes

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003
I'm the gay younger brother of UnkleBoB and Buddha Stalin

Incoming Chinchilla posted:

Any Setup tips? Is piranha the meta, or should i switch to magnum or a slug?

This poo poo is rough.

Magnum is excellent as even one pellet to the head/face kills.

MuffinsAndPie
May 20, 2015

I went with fully modded mp-155's with ultima mods+suppressors while using piranha ammo, I would've preferred flechette, but buying piranha from a trader was good enough for me.

edit: I didn't use the thermal thing though, but it might be good for people hiding in bushes? it seems like it'd be awkward to use

MuffinsAndPie fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Feb 3, 2024

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
Don't be afraid of camping exits or chokepoints. Ideally, show up when the other PMC is stuck in a gunfight.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
I just did Setup for the first time and found shotguns to be wildly inconsistent with piranha. Majority of my kills was encountering people during my journey to dorms and not actually at dorms.

At least you'll get insurance back almost every time. I had like 3 or 4 kits in insurance and would just go do something else while waiting for it to come back instead of burning yourself out.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
I decided I’m not doing setup

Copper For Lyfe
Jun 1, 2011
Setup being an early quest is the best change because early wipe is when shotguns are strongest. Piranha is pretty good because it has enough pen to go through soft armor, so because of the shotgun spread you can just aim centre mass and enough pellets will go above/below/beside an enemy's armor plate that you can kill them in a few shots most times.

And buckshot is still strong too. 7mm, express and mag buck are all viable imo.

This far in to wipe you'll get your poo poo back too, but the first month of wipe, everyone was stealing shotguns and ushankas off my corpse, and me off theirs.

None of my mates even really attempted setup this wipe, where as I had it done in week 2 even though we all had it open at the same time. Now they're really struggling with it as the enemy pmcs are more geared and they don't have access to ap20 or flechette to compensate.

Also you have to complete setup now to unlock the wifi cameras from mechanic. Otherwise I've seen them at like 500k on the flea. Makes hideout upgrades much cheaper if you get setup done.

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Don't ask, I don't know how to pronounce my name either.
Isn't it a L1 Mechanic barter trade? I haven't done Setup yet... You just need to accept Informed Means Armed, I think.

Copper For Lyfe
Jun 1, 2011
Informed means armed comes after setup now. The rearranged the task order this wipe. Setup used to be like the 2nd last task of the chain, now it's the first after handing in the flash drives I think?

Used to be IMA>chumming>bullshit>setup>silent calibre, now its setup>IMA>chumming>BS>SC

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
I know there's a covering fire service but does anyone know how the BTR works in regards to aggro? I got domed as a PMC because maybe I killed too many player scavs?

Can I shoot the BTR and make it just shoot everyone the rest of the raid? Does it fire while moving too?

At least I know it shoots green tracer rounds at my face lol.

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Don't ask, I don't know how to pronounce my name either.
Weird, I'm on Setup but I can barter for wifi cameras.

Copper For Lyfe
Jun 1, 2011

Aexo posted:

Weird, I'm on Setup but I can barter for wifi cameras.

There's a lvl1 mechanic barter, but you can't just buy em for money until you start informed means armed.

Most people are dumb/lazy and don't use half the barters that are available in the game. Myself included.

That said, I completed setup before I needed wifi cameras for the Nikon lens craft for the security upgrade anyway, and actually ended up finding most of the lenses this wipe for a change.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Copper For Lyfe posted:

There's a lvl1 mechanic barter, but you can't just buy em for money until you start informed means armed.

Most people are dumb/lazy and don't use half the barters that are available in the game. Myself included.

That said, I completed setup before I needed wifi cameras for the Nikon lens craft for the security upgrade anyway, and actually ended up finding most of the lenses this wipe for a change.

To be fair some of the barters are pretty ridiculous and on the most egregious I turn the number of the required items down by, like, half in SPT.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

I learned today if you still have access to ground zero and have jaegers quest to kill scavs at night it does not count despite the quest saying it only does not wok on factory

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Started playing with a pal on Saturday and on a scav run yesterday we asked for help from a fellow scav to point us towards an extract and he sounded incredulous that we were new to the game.

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Has this been done before?
Soiled Meat
So did he help you or shoot you?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

General Probe posted:

So did he help you or shoot you?

Nah he helped us and pointed us in the right direction. We got killed by extract campers. I've only had good experiences with fellow scavs.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I've seen so many more extract campers at Emercom on Interchange this wipe than ever before.

So many bodies. Walked out of a scav run last night with two kitted assault rifles, a kitted MP9, two Five-Sevens, and a class 5 armoured rig just from looting dudes who got extract camped.

Jakosa
Dec 28, 2021
Sometimes you get lucky.

I was running around on Ground Zero with a VPO-215 "Gornostay".Trying to get some bolt action kills for Jaeger with the cheapest gear possible.

I got in a medium/long range fight with someone and landed a head shot on him, killing him. Turns out he had - what I think is - Knight's gear. A CPC GE plate carrier rig and a Mk47 AR. This is my first wipe so this is stuff I've never seen before. The wiki doesn't list a seller for the rig so I assume you have to get it from a drop?

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

:frog:

Jakosa posted:

Sometimes you get lucky.

I was running around on Ground Zero with a VPO-215 "Gornostay".Trying to get some bolt action kills for Jaeger with the cheapest gear possible.

I got in a medium/long range fight with someone and landed a head shot on him, killing him. Turns out he had - what I think is - Knight's gear. A CPC GE plate carrier rig and a Mk47 AR. This is my first wipe so this is stuff I've never seen before. The wiki doesn't list a seller for the rig so I assume you have to get it from a drop?

Yep, he either found it in a stash or on a body, something like this (no idea if those items actually spawns in those though).

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
or killed the goons

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
Some friends wanted me to hop on and give this game another go. I remember seeing a video a while back showcasing how blatant the hacking/cheating was in the game (Something crazy like he could identify there were cheaters in like every other game using cheats himself). This was a few years ago I think has this been improved? I'm terrible at this game is and most of my deaths are to things I usually can't see anyway. The thought that I'm likely getting clowned on by hackers really kills my desire to actually boot this back up.

MuffinsAndPie
May 20, 2015

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Some friends wanted me to hop on and give this game another go. I remember seeing a video a while back showcasing how blatant the hacking/cheating was in the game (Something crazy like he could identify there were cheaters in like every other game using cheats himself). This was a few years ago I think has this been improved? I'm terrible at this game is and most of my deaths are to things I usually can't see anyway. The thought that I'm likely getting clowned on by hackers really kills my desire to actually boot this back up.

One thing you can do is after every death you can check to see another player's profile which lists how long they've been playing, kills/deaths, survival rate, and what they're wearing too. I haven't spotted anyone obvious so far this wipe

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

DarkAvenger211 posted:

it wasnt real then either

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
I’ve only reported two people, got a message a few days ago that the first one was banned, pretty sure the 3 day account with a KDR of 10ish will get banned eventually too. I’m new to the game, this is my first wipe but the cheating is absolutely overblown. People are so dunning-krugered they figure every death is from cheats.

I mostly get killed by people with like 5k hours lol. It’s crazy how many players like that I see, and I come from CS where everyone who plays it has played for 20 years, but I feel like I don’t often see playtime that high.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
I’ve had the same experience with the majority of my deaths being to people with 2000+ hours and it honestly takes the edge off of dying. So much of this game is just an exercise in spawn knowledge and raw experience, until you are on that level you are much more likely to be dying to people who have just put in the reps than hackers. Out of the 100 or so PMC raids I’ve played this wipe I’ve had 1 or 2 deaths that were likely hackers, most of the time it’s just getting out played and feeding.

I’m not saying that hackers don’t exist, they are likely more common in Tarkov than other games, but unless you’re and OCE labs main or whatever it seems like it has way less of an actual impact on gameplay than people make out.