Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Philthy posted:

That would be true if wages didn't go up significantly as well. The local Menards is hiring at $19-22/hr. Pre-covid they were $7.25.

And they still can't get enough employees. Because they don't exist. Everyone in my area has had "Now Hiring" in their windows. The restaurants close at 8pm because they can't hire enough people. They all got drained for desk jobs that are hiring anyone that isn't a serial killer. Look around you, it's not because people aren't willing to pay, they are. They just have no one to hire anymore. We've run out of people.
idk i work at a grocery store that starts at $19/hour and we hold interviews and get literally dozens of people to show up to the interview (it's group interviews now to save the manager's time) and then ............ nobody gets hired, because it turns out that in order to get hired the job expects you to have fully open availability (if there are any hours or days you can't work, you won't be hired, it's that simple) and yet it's for a part-time position that can't guarantee more than four hours a week. that's pretty standard for retail in the years 2023 and 2024. everybody's "hiring" but not REALLY. they'll puff up the payrate when they're forced to but still not make it a job that anyone can LIVE AT. i'm super lucky that i was able to snag one of the two "full time" (guaranteed a minimum of 28 hours) positions in our store back in 2020 lol.

i know retail isn't "real jobs" but that's what the retail situation is like. that's what "there's nobody to hire! nobody wants to work!" actually looks like. the hourly rate looks great on the sign by the highway and it makes people like you go "wow they're paying so well" and then they don't want to let you actually work. it saves them money to have a computer do min-max hour assignments giving 20 people a single four-hour shift each rather than having actual regular shifts with a regular number of workers who get a regular number of hours

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

TotalLossBrain posted:

Hey fellow PE-havers.
I don't use mine either but I keep paying for renewal just in case.

I got my EIT over a decade ago but all the PEs at my job told me not to bother, so I didn't. It has yet to come up.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

On top of all the "job not hiring" stuff, I asked every employer I interviewed with how many positions they were hiring for and how many interviews they had scheduled, and every single one of them said they had at least 100 interviews scheduled for anywhere between 1-3 open positions. And that's only the ones who were offered an interview, not total applicants. Even when a job is real, and has bullshit arbitrary rules like the above-mentioned "need 100% schedule availability for a job that provides 4 hours a week", the amount of competition for those spots is absurd.

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe
I used to get monthly sweaty emails from linked-in "we-paid-for-your-contact-info" headhunters begging me to talk to raytheon or advan-tech-sys or whatever other goofy name those defense contractors have and I realized the other day I havent' gotten one of those in like a year.

The Moon Monster posted:

I got my EIT over a decade ago but all the PEs at my job told me not to bother, so I didn't. It has yet to come up.

I got my PE because everyone in my family also has their PE and they swore it would be really good for my career.

Then I switched to programming and now people are like "P what?"

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe
Yeah I've been looking for work in the tech industry for almost exactly a year now and from what my friends and colleagues in the industry are saying, all these jobs I hear about must be in other industries.

Funny thing, though, because all my friends who work in hospitality are saying the same, and my friends working in retail get bait and switched every single time they apply to one of these alleged well-paying jobs.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

deep dish peat moss posted:

Something to highlight just how bad the job market/ghost job phenomenon is right now is that There were 9.6 million "open job postings" in September but only 150,000 were actually filled by the end of October per the BLS

By that metric less than 2% of postings are actual real jobs.

Yeah I spent last year job hunting and the wheat-to-chaff ratio was atrocious. Meanwhile my family was like, "How do you still not have a job with all your experience? The news says the job market is humming! You must be doing it wrong."

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Perhaps I have been misguided on what the game is. I still know nothing about it and haven't even looked anything up about it. I was told to go in blind.

I'm surprised you haven't been completely spoiled, that game is over a decade old and there was endless discussion because gamers got a serious case of butthurt about it. It's interesting for what it was and there really hasn't been much like it since. If you do play it, be warned that its kind of a slog (some would say purposefully so) but I think its worth experiencing. Try to remember the context of when it came out and the glut of military cover shooters at the time.

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Don’t forget long term travel!

Lol yeah, the drill crews I work with can be gone from home for six months at a time. Lotta divorced guys, you'd be surprised to learn

The Moon Monster posted:

I get to put "PE" after my name on my business cards and I can legally hold the title of "engineer". Also I have to do 30 hours of continuing education every two years. I was told I would need it for advancement but we currently have two project engineers without licenses. One of them never took the FE lmao

800peepee51doodoo fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jan 31, 2024

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe

wash bucket posted:

Yeah I spent last year job hunting and the wheat-to-chaff ratio was atrocious. Meanwhile my family was like, "How do you still not have a job with all your experience? The news says the job market is humming! You must be doing it wrong."

Oh yeah that's always fun, I just love watching the time pass as my savings deplete and the people around me slowly stop sympathizing and start quietly wondering what's wrong with me :glompoff:

So many jobs I applied to that I was frankly perhaps overqualified for but I was desperate, got a form letter rejection 3 weeks later and saw them repeatedly take down and put up the same posting for 9 months straight

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Civil engineering (but not land development) is desperately hiring. Basically engineering students have been going into computer touching instead of real engineering for the last two decades and now the industry is hosed. We couldn’t fix all of the busted infrastructure even if anyone wanted to pay for it.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

woke kaczynski posted:

Oh yeah that's always fun, I just love watching the time pass as my savings deplete and the people around me slowly stop sympathizing and start quietly wondering what's wrong with me :glompoff:

So many jobs I applied to that I was frankly perhaps overqualified for but I was desperate, got a form letter rejection 3 weeks later and saw them repeatedly take down and put up the same posting for 9 months straight

I'm extremely thankful that I finally got a decent job that pays a living wage (even if it's much lower level work than I'm used to) but the entire hiring process took 4 goddamn months. A month between the application and first interview, and almost two months between first and second interviews, then another month before start date.

I don't see myself leaving any time soon just because I don't want to go through all of that again :barf: I'm just gonna chill and spend the next 6 years in school and hope the job market is better by the end of it.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

woke kaczynski posted:

Yeah I've been looking for work in the tech industry for almost exactly a year now and from what my friends and colleagues in the industry are saying, all these jobs I hear about must be in other industries.

Funny thing, though, because all my friends who work in hospitality are saying the same, and my friends working in retail get bait and switched every single time they apply to one of these alleged well-paying jobs.
:same:

Data scientist with a PhD and 6 years of industry experience, and I know python, r, AWS, all that garbage. I’m at about a thousand applications right now. But yes, nobody wants to work anymore.

It’s a useless job and everything, but I’m sick of this BS that I should be able to walk in anywhere and that “AI” is exploding. Boomers have also suggested that if the job market is so bad, I should just get a job as a “professor.”

cat botherer fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jan 31, 2024

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe

cat botherer posted:

Boomers have also suggested that if the job market is so bad, I should just get a job as a “professor.”

Hello school? One tenure please. Yes, I'll hold.

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

I LOVE FINLAND AND ESPECIALLY FINLAND'S MILITARY ALLIANCES, GOOGLE FINLAND WORLD WAR 2 FOR MORE INFORMATION SLAVA UKRANI

cat botherer posted:

:same:

Data scientist with a PhD and 6 years of industry experience, and I know python, r, AWS, all that garbage. I’m at about a thousand applications right now. But yes, nobody wants to work anymore.

It’s a useless job and everything, but I’m sick of this BS that I should be able to walk in anywhere and that “AI” is exploding. Boomers have also suggested that if the job market is so bad, I should just get a job as a “professor.”
Yes the academic job market is famous for being full of open positions with no competition

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

ghost emoji posted:

Thank you for this recommendation - I just helped him install Thunderbird and it loads great!

Thread content: Google Maps is just making up poo poo.

https://twitter.com/isaiah_bb/status/1752042789393592762

The internet is being poisoned, like the Salton Sea. All reference material is rewritten by AI hallucinations. All links between different concepts are obscured by SEO stacking. Thousands of shadow copies of the same content exist, telephoned into conflicting narratives of the original news or research.

It was bad enough when human eyes were involved in creating the shadow content. This flood of unmonitored content generation is accepted as mechanical truth, as reliable as a paperclip folding machine. And the more crap that exists, the more it will be used to categorize, summarize, and create other crap.

So. Yeah, ghost kitchens, defunct LLCs registered to a cell phone and the empty lot next to the duplex, fictional companies from novels and fan forums, all kinds of crap...projected onto the map of the real world but somehow no way to reliably filter the hallucinations.

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

withak posted:

Civil engineering (but not land development) is desperately hiring. Basically engineering students have been going into computer touching instead of real engineering for the last two decades and now the industry is hosed. We couldn’t fix all of the busted infrastructure even if anyone wanted to pay for it.

Civil engineering also kinda pays poo poo for an engineering job. Electrical pays way more right off the bat and you can segue into computers if you want without having to do anything.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yes the internet is mostly over. I hate looking stuff up now. Wikipedia is still sort of ok.

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

I LOVE FINLAND AND ESPECIALLY FINLAND'S MILITARY ALLIANCES, GOOGLE FINLAND WORLD WAR 2 FOR MORE INFORMATION SLAVA UKRANI
This concept is a major plot point in neil Stephenson's Anathem which is like 15 years old now. Writing's been on the wall for a while

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

RDM posted:

This concept is a major plot point in neil Stephenson's Anathem which is like 15 years old now. Writing's been on the wall for a while

It's like a Kessler Cascade but on the internet.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Philthy posted:

Cybersec is actually hiring on experience, not education. Most of IT has shifted from education because it can't keep up. They are looking for experience, and often times they will take completely unrelated IT people to fill those roles for the warm bodies. If anyone is a part of, or follows the major IT research companies they will all tell you to look for the experience and don't even consider the education. People graduating today are already 4-5 years behind.

IT degrees have always been years behind for as long as there have been IT degrees. IT is moving away from degree-holders because they expect to be paid like degree holders, not some other stupid reason you made up. This is the same reason they are taking candidates with irrelevant experience, people with relevant experience expect to be paid for it. Modern IT jobs do not pay. Especially infosec, and doubly especially entry level infosec.

Before I left the industry I applied to over 700 positions both inside and outside my areas of expertise. A single digit percentage even responded, and without fail, those that did were offering below living wage for wherever they expected me to live. I even got offered a few remote contracts that dynamically scaled their pay to basically poverty+20% in any state of my choosing. This has been the experience of every other job seeker in the field I've spoken to over the last two years.

It's weird to watch you basically stan an industry you clearly do not understand. Please stop. I left for industrial automation and literally doubled my pay with no relevant experience.

E: I missed a page here but I'm reassured to see even more people who have had my experience. As someone who has had severe impostor syndrome (back in the early 10s before it was cool) I was setting very bad deja vu applying to jobs for 6-8 hours a day for weeks straight with no response. Feels loving bad, man.

Shit Fuckasaurus fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jan 31, 2024

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

RDM posted:

I still call my smart phone a Jeejaw after reading that book.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

Cosmik Debris posted:

Civil engineering also kinda pays poo poo for an engineering job. Electrical pays way more right off the bat and you can segue into computers if you want without having to do anything.

That's changing due to the employment demand, if somewhat slowly. Entry level position salaries have gone up something like 20% in the last couple of years, at least in my market. My work has had office wide salary increases on top of CoL adjustments multiple times since I started a few years ago, just to accommodate the change in the industry. If you do get a CE degree you can basically demand whatever and work where ever you want. Our new hire "interviews" are more like sales pitches where we put prospects up at the Hilton, take them out to fancy dinners, offer signing bonuses, moving expenses, whatever we can to convince them to work for us instead of one of the other 8-10 places that have already given them offer letters. Also, I imagine there's plenty of people in this thread that would be overjoyed to make what civils make, because its still pretty solidly middle class, buy a house wages.

Also civil is great because you can point at a bridge and be like, yeah I designed that bolt takeoff for the bent connection at C3 and people are like "woah cool".

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune
Oh also, has anyone in this thread pointed out that Nitter stopped working yet? Cause it has and it sucks poo poo

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

800peepee51doodoo posted:

That's changing due to the employment demand, if somewhat slowly. Entry level position salaries have gone up something like 20% in the last couple of years, at least in my market. My work has had office wide salary increases on top of CoL adjustments multiple times since I started a few years ago, just to accommodate the change in the industry. If you do get a CE degree you can basically demand whatever and work where ever you want. Our new hire "interviews" are more like sales pitches where we put prospects up at the Hilton, take them out to fancy dinners, offer signing bonuses, moving expenses, whatever we can to convince them to work for us instead of one of the other 8-10 places that have already given them offer letters. Also, I imagine there's plenty of people in this thread that would be overjoyed to make what civils make, because its still pretty solidly middle class, buy a house wages.

Also civil is great because you can point at a bridge and be like, yeah I designed that bolt takeoff for the bent connection at C3 and people are like "woah cool".

civil engineer cope lol

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Oh also, has anyone in this thread pointed out that Nitter stopped working yet? Cause it has and it sucks poo poo

The musk thread told me he killed it

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

RDM posted:

Loved that book, what a wild ride. One of the few books where once I finished it, I immediately started reading it again. Loved it.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

redshirt posted:

Loved that book, what a wild ride. One of the few books where once I finished it, I immediately started reading it again. Loved it.

it's the only stephenson book where i will admit it's good the whole way through

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

poo poo Fuckasaurus posted:

IT degrees have always been years behind for as long as there have been IT degrees. IT is moving away from degree-holders because they expect to be paid like degree holders, not some other stupid reason you made up. This is the same reason they are taking candidates with irrelevant experience, people with relevant experience expect to be paid for it. Modern IT jobs do not pay. Especially infosec, and doubly especially entry level

2nd this. Anyone who tells you that universities are churning out “outdated” cs degrees has zero clue what they’re talking about. This is just some nonsense they meme out to hr and recruiting drones as part of a campaign to depress entry level wages. It’s like calling an English or physics degree 10 years out of date.

Entry level infosec is similarly an HR fabrication resetting passwords and searching splunk is not a security job. There is no such thing as entry level computer security.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

skooma512 posted:

Spec Ops doesn't have any decisions though. The biggest scene is practically linear, and they say it's a choice because you could simply just stop playing before you did that thing, that was the other choice.

The big narrative hurdle for games who want to say something "important" is what happens when a player says, "No." And shockingly, they're not equipped for that and it breaks their stories.

When Bioshock was released, I was already sick of games with handholding guide characters who told you every single move to make. So before I exited the bathesphere at the beginning of the game, I decided I was going to do the exact opposite of whatever the guy on the radio told me to do. I heard so many 'Would you kindly..." lines repeated over and over that I went "Would you kindly gently caress off." Of course, when I got to the twist, the story failed since I hadn't engaged with the game the way I was intended to.

When I went to play Spec Ops: The Line, I already knew what happens in the game so I just decided to see what happens if I didn't do war crimes. Turns out you're not allowed to progress out of the tutorial without attacking civilians so I just uninstalled.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

200k ops jobs don't exist in the Midwest. Even for enterprise architects.

Like most things, whatever the C suite fad happens to be is the only thing that pays. We have a loving AI Engineer being hired on, for retail, after laying off the only network engineers that knew our Frontline and contracted that out to some firm on the coasts. 4 9s has become 3 but because it was a management decision and consequence, we hear nothing but good things.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Large Testicles posted:

it's the only stephenson book where i will admit it's good the whole way through

It had an actual ending!!! While The Baroque Cycle may be his magnum opus, Anathem definitely my favorite of his books. May of been Diamond Age if the ending wasn't a bit of a mess.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
Cryptonomicon linking nazis to crypto was surprisingly prescient

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

200k ops jobs don't exist in the Midwest. Even for enterprise architects.

Like most things, whatever the C suite fad happens to be is the only thing that pays. We have a loving AI Engineer being hired on, for retail, after laying off the only network engineers that knew our Frontline and contracted that out to some firm on the coasts. 4 9s has become 3 but because it was a management decision and consequence, we hear nothing but good things.

Indeed.com shows dozens of open postings advertising $200+ on the high end in Chicago, Minneapolis, Cincinnati, Columbus and Detroit, and high 100s in Indianapolis, Des Moines, St. Louis, and Omaha.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Cerekk posted:

Indeed.com shows dozens of open postings advertising $200+ on the high end

And what have people been posting about these ghost positions?

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Cerekk posted:

Indeed.com shows dozens of open postings advertising $200+ on the high end in Chicago, Minneapolis, Cincinnati, Columbus and Detroit, and high 100s in Indianapolis, Des Moines, St. Louis, and Omaha.

A job posting's listed pay grade does not indicate that anyone will ever be paid that amount for doing that job, if said job even exists at all.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Besides, between a 200k Midwest position and somewhere sane, I know what I would pick and money is not the deciding factor

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

TotalLossBrain posted:

And what have people been posting about these ghost positions?

Well one guy posted that he knows people getting paid that, and then another guy posted an anecdote that he personally had a hard time finding a job, so I think I'll go with the holistic body of evidence and the all time low unemployment rate rather than the bitter musings of some randos that for all we know are unqualified for the positions they're applying for.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
what the unemployment rate means: "Employed people are those who did any work at all for pay or profit in the reference week"

what is happening in hourly retail work: full availability will get you four hours a week

one logical inference, which is backed by data and has been written about before: the unemployment rate includes an awful lot of underemployed people who "have jobs" but still can't make a living

yet idiots continue to insist: "the unemployment rate is at an all-time low, so it's obvious you can easily get a $200k job in the midwest unless you're stupid and lying in this thread"

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Cerekk posted:

Well one guy posted that he knows people getting paid that, and then another guy posted an anecdote that he personally had a hard time finding a job, so I think I'll go with the holistic body of evidence and the all time low unemployment rate rather than the bitter musings of some randos that for all we know are unqualified for the positions they're applying for.

Truly, humanity's ability to ignore evidence directly in front of it and just decide to keep believing whatever they want is astounding.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Cerekk posted:

you should look up how unemployment is calculated. It might surprise you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

i had to check due to this thread, and 100% of my cohort that graduated in 2020 is employed in a job taht matches their education (according to their profiles on linkedin, at least)