Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

It worked so well before!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YALSvyje8no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

He also chose poorly when deciding to not bring a cup along for the Kojima match.

noice

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

emjayo posted:

Say Loser Fuckface the way Samantha Irvin says "Ludwig Kaiser"

this needs more love

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Truther Vandross posted:

There's a big gulf between "my stepdad is pervy" and "my stepdad is actively involved in repeatedly raping and sexually exploiting a woman"

I'm sure the Bellas were aware of some Johnny Ace creepiness but I'd imagine at the point this all started and went on, they thought he'd settled down with their mom.

Ultimately, outside of the WWE executive sweet, I don't really see the point or value in arguing over which low level people knew what.

BrigadierSensible posted:

This.

All the faffing about the details is faff.

Vince McMahon is a Rapist. Many times over. And this is a bad thing to be. He is a bad man.

Very bad.

That is all that needs to be known.

Hey dumbfucks. Read this.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

this is Cm Punk today i'll be tearing my pec taking a DDT. This is for all the Punkalos and Punkalettes, don't try this at home hope you like it WOOP WOOP!

gently caress! THIS! poo poo!"

stab fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jan 31, 2024

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

We've probably moved past this, and healed, but I wanna add my take that the finisher is awful, but the thing is that it's as if Beepee King doesn't realize it. He does it, looks back and it's like he's confused why his opponent is so close to the ropes "uhh, well, now you've put me in an awkward position, this is the finish your legs shouldn't be under the ropes" and starts goign for the pin and as he does it he thinks that maybe he should go for a deep pin while he's at it since he has to put so much effort anyway. Something he should figure out at 1 but it takes him 'till 2 and a half to finish the deep pin, going all the way into the taint as he slowly deepens this pin.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I'd also argue that the deep pin kills the thing he should really be going for which is that the move is so devastating that it doesn't matter that the guy is near the ropes.

But don't use a finisher that is convoluted.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I hope MRT keeps updating the OP of the Vince thread as more news comes in, or someone posts it here as well as mjeff just did. I think it's important to be aware of this stuff, but hopefully folks can understand me when I say that reading an entire thread dedicated to it can be quite taxing on your health. Feeling so powerless gets exhausting sometimes. I hope there's some sort of justice for all of the victims, but obviously I'm not exactly holding my breath.

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

stab posted:

this is Cm Punk today i'll tearing my pec taking a DDT. This is for all the Punkalos and Punkalettes, don't try this at home hope you like it WOOP WOOP!

gently caress! THIS! poo poo!"

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

BrigadierSensible posted:

This.

All the faffing about the details is faff.

Vince McMahon is a Rapist. Many times over. And this is a bad thing to be. He is a bad man.

Very bad.

That is all that needs to be known.

Eh, that's not true. I'm not saying it's Vince and Vince alone. There are several people in the leaderships structure who need to be held accountable.

I'm talking about the people who want to bring up rank-and-file production staff or talent. It's really easy to sit back with no skin in the game and say somebody should've done this or done that. The entire company was structured to suppress that as much as possible. They had a monopoly for almost 20 years and absolutely made sure everyone in the company knew they had no other options for making an equivalent living in wrestling. Vince surrounded himself with yes men who would run back to him eager to tattle any chance they got. It was very clear that anyone who tried to be defiant would be retaliated against. He'd basically been getting away with anything and everything for decades so most people (probably rightfully) assumed any complaining wouldn't end up fixing anything anyway. I just don't believe in blaming people who have, by design, been gaslit into thinking there's nothing they can do or say to solve a problem.

Last year in my office, we had a guy who was sexually harassing his female employees, subjecting them to different treatment than the males were getting, trying to access their PCs and such against policy. He was great with company politics and protecting himself as much as possible. He'd skated by on some other issues in the past. Everyone thought he was untouchable. Eventually one of the ladies came to me. I'm in a different area of the building so I didn't really see the day-to-day happenings with them and she brought me up to speed on everything. I was lucky enough to be in a position where I have no kids and my wife has a very good job that could've supported us if I ate poo poo for speaking out, so I went up the ladder and addressed the issue. It ended up working out fine but there are relationships in the company now that are basically irreparable for me because I spoke out against him. I'm glad I did, but it's a much, much different situation when you're in the thick of it than it is when you're just sitting back free from any potential consequences.

Paul should be held accountable. Steph should be held accountable. The rest of the C-Suite should be held accountable. Laurinaitis should be held accountable. Guys like Michael Hayes should be held accountable. I just believe there's a limit to how far down that ladder you can go before you're punishing people who were also victim's of his bullshit, albeit to a lesser extent.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Truther Vandross posted:

Eh, that's not true. I'm not saying it's Vince and Vince alone. There are several people in the leaderships structure who need to be held accountable.

I'm talking about the people who want to bring up rank-and-file production staff or talent. It's really easy to sit back with no skin in the game and say somebody should've done this or done that. The entire company was structured to suppress that as much as possible. They had a monopoly for almost 20 years and absolutely made sure everyone in the company knew they had no other options for making an equivalent living in wrestling. Vince surrounded himself with yes men who would run back to him eager to tattle any chance they got. It was very clear that anyone who tried to be defiant would be retaliated against. He'd basically been getting away with anything and everything for decades so most people (probably rightfully) assumed any complaining wouldn't end up fixing anything anyway. I just don't believe in blaming people who have, by design, been gaslit into thinking there's nothing they can do or say to solve a problem.

Last year in my office, we had a guy who was sexually harassing his female employees, subjecting them to different treatment than the males were getting, trying to access their PCs and such against policy. He was great with company politics and protecting himself as much as possible. He'd skated by on some other issues in the past. Everyone thought he was untouchable. Eventually one of the ladies came to me. I'm in a different area of the building so I didn't really see the day-to-day happenings with them and she brought me up to speed on everything. I was lucky enough to be in a position where I have no kids and my wife has a very good job that could've supported us if I ate poo poo for speaking out, so I went up the ladder and addressed the issue. It ended up working out fine but there are relationships in the company now that are basically irreparable for me because I spoke out against him. I'm glad I did, but it's a much, much different situation when you're in the thick of it than it is when you're just sitting back free from any potential consequences.

Paul should be held accountable. Steph should be held accountable. The rest of the C-Suite should be held accountable. Laurinaitis should be held accountable. Guys like Michael Hayes should be held accountable. I just believe there's a limit to how far down that ladder you can go before you're punishing people who were also victim's of his bullshit, albeit to a lesser extent.

Exactly what do you think is gonna happen to a random camera man or whoever you're picturing here, if they weren't actually involved?

That level of employee originally became discussion fodder here when a poster really wanted to use their jobs as excuses for why the entity of WWE must be protected at all costs

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Truther Vandross posted:

Referees going to another room to jerk off because they are so turned on are not a victim. Tech guys who were hooting and hollering and egging Vince on are not a victim. Whatever wrestlers Vince was sharing pictures with are not victims. They are part of the problem.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
But what if I'm forced to come to terms with the fact that someone I like to watch on television may not be a good person?

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
Beepie should change his finished to a side headlock

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Woah now, let’s not expect him to run before he can walk

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
people should fantasy book early ufc guys vs cm punk more. manny yarborough would have absolutely wrecked punk right

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020
Judging by the stories of Bruce buffer I reckon he could beat cm punk in a mma fight

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

KungFu Grip posted:

people should fantasy book early ufc guys vs cm punk more. manny yarborough would have absolutely wrecked punk right

Keith Hackney is the best answer

https://youtu.be/EdS7GOjbNIo

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

cagliostr0 posted:

Judging by the stories of Bruce buffer I reckon he could beat cm punk in a mma fight

I know nothing of this. What stories of Bruce?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Just hoping that Samantha Irvin starts saying CM Punk like she used to say Chelsea Green

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Lamuella posted:

ahh yeah here he comes, big cm, phil brooks himself, looks like he brought a bag lunch, smart

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

WWEshop Instagram, welcome to the #resistance

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

MassRafTer posted:

Referees going to another room to jerk off because they are so turned on are not a victim. Tech guys who were hooting and hollering and egging Vince on are not a victim. Whatever wrestlers Vince was sharing pictures with are not victims. They are part of the problem.

The referee poo poo is gross. I didn't know that. That person should be gone immediately if they aren't already.

I think you're correct that many, and maybe all, of those people are terrible people who should pay for being terrible, but I also believe that it's disingenuous to act like there aren't people in the company who, when approached with weird and inappropriate poo poo by Vince, gave Vince the reaction they think he wanted out of fear for what could happen if they didn't.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Not All WWE Employees

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Truther Vandross posted:

The referee poo poo is gross. I didn't know that. That person should be gone immediately if they aren't already.

I think you're correct that many, and maybe all, of those people are terrible people who should pay for being terrible, but I also believe that it's disingenuous to act like there aren't people in the company who, when approached with weird and inappropriate poo poo by Vince, gave Vince the reaction they think he wanted out of fear for what could happen if they didn't.

WWE is a cult, and office culture is a cult, and you're absolutely right that the way Vince and Corporate Officer #1 creates a culture of fear, of following terrible orders, of being complicit and reacting in ways out of self-preservation, all of that. But there's a time to bring that up and a time to realize that the details of the lawsuit are so much more rooted in rot than you may realize. The reason the situation is being spoken about in broad strokes is because it has to be so people don't get lost in the weeds and forget that the entire structure is built on corruption and normalizing this vile behavior.

When a building is condemned for black mold, it doesn't matter if one of the screws was still good.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Truther Vandross posted:

The fear for what could happen is they would have to look for another job. Something most millennials do every two years at this point. If they are too lazy to do so because it's easier to protect a sexual predator, I don't have a lot of sympathy for them. The period where this was going on was one where the Economist was whining because too many people were switching jobs and getting paid more because of it. This is not a powerful argument.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
And it's not like this is the wasteland post-WWE buying WCW and ECW. There are plenty of options out there if you want to stay within the wrestling industry but not work for the sexual assault circus.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Pope Corky the IX posted:

And it's not like this is the wasteland post-WWE buying WCW and ECW. There are plenty of options out there if you want to stay within the wrestling industry but not work for the sexual assault circus.

And just for the employees you are working at a major media company right outside of New York City. Finding a new job is not impossible. It's probably better for your sanity, WWE's glassdoor reviews were vicious even before this scandal.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
If it really comes down to "I don't want to take the Metro North from Connecticut to NYC" then I cordially invite you to eat poo poo.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

This all also assumes WWE Employee X thinks any of Vince's actions were bad or wrong in any way besides costing hush money, which is not at all guaranteed

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

MassRafTer posted:

Whatever wrestlers Vince was sharing pictures with are not victims
i think they should have spoken up but i think being put into a situation where your boss is talking about your sex crimes and you either speak up and lose your job or keep your mouth shut makes you a victim

of course the guys who were super into it are different

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I think some of us try to stick up for low-level employees in these situations because we're not entirely sure if we would've done any better in their position. That's how I often feel anyway, asking myself if I would've done things differently, as someone who sometimes struggles to hold down long-term jobs (usually for mental health reasons but geography etc play a part too). The fact that I don't always know the answer straight away is scary to me and has me questioning not only my supposedly high level of empathy, but my own humanity in general. I accept that I'm broke-brained and probably not exactly a typical case, but this is why I tend to give news coverage of tragedies a restricted viewing, while still being aware that one can only grow and look at oneself as a half-decent human being if one negotiates with the material directly.

In this case, I've had to come to terms with the fact that no one involved with WWE and Vince McMahon can be above scrutiny. Some very well-written posts here have helped with that. Even if it makes me question myself and what I would've done, I feel like it's necessary to understand what the victims went through and hopefully stop any more cycles of abuse going forward.

Hedgehog Pie fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jan 31, 2024

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

MassRafTer posted:

The fear for what could happen is they would have to look for another job. Something most millennials do every two years at this point. If they are too lazy to do so because it's easier to protect a sexual predator, I don't have a lot of sympathy for them. The period where this was going on was one where the Economist was whining because too many people were switching jobs and getting paid more because of it. This is not a powerful argument.

not to mention they do corporate lay offs what, 2-3 times per year at this point? there’s zero job security anyways

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah, im not saying this as some weird WWE defense mechanism, i have barely watched the product in a decade and i would not care if Mike "Mizanin" The Miz dropped dead tomorrow. but part of the crime here is that vince created a company that operated on the idea that he was the only game in town, no matter what, that he was wrestling, etc.

like people compare it to a cult and i agree but part of that cult dynamic is the insane rewriting of reality and history. 'when he was growing up he had dreams of being a wwe superstar,' not 'dreams of being a wrestler.' the guys who came in from other companies or had long pre-wwe careers, or had other avenues to make money have no excuse, of course.

but iunno, they find some 19 year old doing flips in a high school gym and put him into training facility 1 then 2 then ovw then nxt then let him job to roman on RAW when hes 35 and yeah that guy has no other marketable skills and has spent a decade and a half making peanuts on the vague promise of WWE Superstardom, im not gonna say hes the truest victim in all this, but i get how youd wind up drinking the koolaid a little, or looking the other way if you only saw a tiny part of it. thats part of the injustices the company - not just vince's, but everyone who aided and abetted him, including plenty of the actual wrestlers - committed, they warped the entire industry and all perception of it around them. theres a reason people got fired for poo poo like acknowledging TNA exists. its not an excuse or anything but its part of the manipulation tactics. i feel bad for the morons who fell for it, assuming they have it in them to feel any guilt about it.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
There's definitely some truth in the fact that in systemically abusive cults like WWE or Scientology or such that the abuse flows downhill so that many people who are victimising others are also being victimised themselves. This isn't me saying that John Laurinitis is an innocent smol bean and it's not an attempt to excuse or minimalise individual behaviours - everyone involved should have to face appropriate justice. I just think it's important to understand how these kind of organisations work because that's the only way to really dismantle them. Saying 'get annother job' is as easy as saying 'just leave Scientology' but we know for the latter there is a whole lot of psychological reasons that it's not easy to actually do (and we know if you're a wrestler your chances of just walking out are about 0.001%). Like, it's not like we really know how close WWE's corporate culture is to a cult but there are so many examples from places like Scientology of people spending years wanting to leave but not feeling like they can. Human brains are very easy to screw up if put in the exact right set of circumstances.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I posted WWE Glassdoor reviews a long time ago so I took a quick look again at reviews posted before the scandal broke in 2022 and there's a ton of references to toxic management, a boys club, mistreatment, it being like a cult, etc. The reviews make it clear that plenty of people were willing to get the gently caress out too.

This one is pretty telling:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

in terms of how cultlike it is, if youve seen the undertaker documentary (note: you shouldnt its terrible) everyone is like glowing eyes, turned directly to the camera, speaking in unison, VINCENT KENNEDY MCMAHON IS OUR FATHER WHO WE LOVE and then you see him pulling petty power plays on undertaker and loving him over for even thinking of retiring while undertaker goes 'i have wronged my father and am deeply ashamed. i will now have a guy in a back alley take a powersaw to my knee so i can go three minutes with cena.'

not that i have sympathy for mean mark callous but the dynamic was insane and thats just what the WWE presented, i can only imagine what it was actually like

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Wasn't there someone here who had a friend working at WWE corporate?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

RealityWarCriminal posted:

Wasn't there someone here who had a friend working at WWE corporate?

I had a friend who worked in production. I haven't talked to her in awhile, not since the NDA news broke. I will say that employees in the TV studio would have very little contact with Vince as they were in a different building a couple miles from headquarters. Whenever the new HQ is up to speed that will change as everyone will be in the same building. So there are some people who while they would be exposed to the toxic corporate culture they would not be exposed to the Vince/Johnny poo poo on a daily basis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

there was another guy who posted here about their sister working for the WWE in Marketing but they stopped posting because people weren't standing up for WWE hard enough