Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

Monkey Fracas posted:

The only part of this I'm looking forward to is the RLM Boyz being depressed about it
will they be brave enough to put forth their full rambled drunken half-thoughts, and risk alienating friend of the group yet also supporting cast member patton oswald

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
there's an almost 100% certainty the cast thinks it's as dumb a movie as we do

only difference is they get paid to pretend otherwise

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill

Barudak posted:

In the original Mummy film the mummy successfully resurrects the woman he pined over and then she goes, uh, I was a high priestess of a god and you were punished for sacrilege and this seems like a whole bunch of sacrilege and just wipes him out.

The Mummy (Carries a Printer)

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Gripweed posted:

I still think the best idea for a sequel is that it takes place at a Ghostbusters franchise location. The only time you see any of the old guys is Bill Murray in an anti-union video they have to watch as part of employee training.

As they also point out the first movie works because of the chemistry between the leads. The movie is them.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Gripweed posted:

I still think the best idea for a sequel is that it takes place at a Ghostbusters franchise location. The only time you see any of the old guys is Bill Murray in an anti-union video they have to watch as part of employee training.

It’s so stupid how obvious that is for a ghostbusters sequel and yet literally none of them have tried this.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

I'm old enough to remember when the ghostbusters sequel was going to star will smith and gilbert gottfried

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

The irony of Ghostbusters is that the magic of the movie isn't the magic of the premise (ghosts). It's charismatic leads doing gig work with hijinks.

You don't even need ghosts to make a good Ghostbusters movie. Sure, some kind of supernatural bent is what gets folks in the door. If it was just about mundane plumbing it wouldn't work, but magical plumbing? If you're leads can sell it then that's all it takes.

Studios can't buy lightning-in-a-bottle charisma, though. Even the same players coming back under the same premise has trouble because the audience already expects you to clear a bar.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

sure okay posted:

The irony of Ghostbusters is that the magic of the movie isn't the magic of the premise (ghosts). It's charismatic leads doing gig work with hijinks.

You don't even need ghosts to make a good Ghostbusters movie. Sure, some kind of supernatural bent is what gets folks in the door. If it was just about mundane plumbing it wouldn't work, but magical plumbing? If you're leads can sell it then that's all it takes.

Studios can't buy lightning-in-a-bottle charisma, though. Even the same players coming back under the same premise has trouble because the audience already expects you to clear a bar.

Do they really make high budget high concept comedies anymore? Ignoring superhero movies.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
this is all good news for my upcoming Ghastbonkers movie

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

What the gently caress

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Jose Oquendo posted:

The leaked Frankenstein dark ride in that area seems pretty neat actually. Not sure why they are calling it Dark Universe when it has nothing to do with that aborted shared universe.

Some exec was still really attached to it :shrug:

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
Why not reboot something from the '80s other than Ghostbusters? I think Back to the Future is about due for a re-imagining.

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN

Outpost22 posted:

Why not reboot something from the '80s other than Ghostbusters? I think Back to the Future is about due for a re-imagining.

What if the Snorks wound up in New York Toronto and had to help a down on his luck everyman fix his marriage?

X JAKK fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jan 31, 2024

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

X JAKK posted:

What if the Snorks wound up in New York and had to help a down on his luck everyman fix his marriage?

Pirates of Dark Water help a father reconnect with his estranged daughter during Christmas in Chicago

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Outpost22 posted:

Iirc Zemeckis has said he does everything in his power to stop that. So once he dies, we’re in business!

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN
Why hasnt Jonathan Taylor Thomas returned to claim the adorkable movie dad throne from James Marsden yet?

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
a bttf reboot would invariably revolve around how we’re actually living in the bttf2 alternate future and does anybody really want more daily depressing reminders of that

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
A BTTF reboot would do something dumb like cast Paul Rudd in the Doc Brown role.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Jose Oquendo posted:

A BTTF reboot would do something dumb like cast Paul Rudd in the Doc Brown role.

Tig Notaro would be a good choice imo.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Nightmare cast movie reboots, putting on my "idiot studio suit"

BttF:
Doc Brown: Will Farrell
Marty McFly: Zach Effron
Marty's Mom: Sydney Sweeney
Marty's Dad: Jared Leto

Real Genius:
Chris (Val Kilmer): Awkwafina
Mitch (the kid): Timothy Chamlay
Kent (jerky guy): Jim Parsons

Ghostbusters:
They've already perfectly destroyed it. no notes.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Groovelord Neato posted:

The boys were correct in their Ghostbusters 2 commentary that the only way a sequel could've worked is if it was a decade or two later. GB2 was too soon and these movies are way too late especially since one of them has been dead for a decade.

I always like Mike and Rich laying out ideas for a considerably better Ghostbusters Afterlife film in the middle of the review where they basically make it about a family of con artists having to actually deal with a ghost infestation in the mining town where the mine collapsed 100 years earlier and the ghosts of the miners haunt the family that owned the mine.

Like its the kind of thing where you realise that with even a modicum of effort you have the basis of a funny, quaint and perhaps even slightly touching movie if they do it right.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

CaptainBeefart posted:

Tig Notaro would be a good choice imo.

Tig Notaro in every role. The most low-energy and awesome reboot ever.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

I can't believe argyle isn't getting good reviews. the critics will pay for besmirching argyle

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

dreezy posted:

a bttf reboot would invariably revolve around how we’re actually living in the bttf2 alternate future and does anybody really want more daily depressing reminders of that

That could be interesting as just a sequel, Doc returns after a few years to visit Marty, finds that the future isn't the future, go on an adventure to figure out why, but in the end the life Marty has is a good one and it's okay there aren't hoverboards.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Gutcruncher posted:

It’s so stupid how obvious that is for a ghostbusters sequel and yet literally none of them have tried this.

I've been saying this for ages

just let other countries play with it with local ghosts, it's so easy

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Light Gun Man posted:

I've been saying this for ages

just let other countries play with it with local ghosts, it's so easy

Japan has approximately 5000 yokai to play around with

Blasting the hopping umbrella ghost wearing a sandal with a directed energy weapon

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I want to see Ma Dong-seok slapping the poo poo out of some ghosts

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

I would like to see new movies with new ip's

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

Can I interest you in a Dune Messiah film?

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

AARD VARKMAN posted:

I want to see Ma Dong-seok slapping the poo poo out of some ghosts

your dong doing WHAT?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Arc Hammer posted:

Can I interest you in a Dune Messiah film?

Yes

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Ah, the MIB International model of filmmaking

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I know ITT has a lot of overlap with the dune thread but in case anyone relevant didn't see this article about david lynch's dune messiah script I found it really interesting. And I'm not even a lynch dune guy particularly https://www.wired.com/story/david-lynch-dune-sequel-script-unearthed/

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Speaking of fighting foreign ghosts, I just watched this movie called Magic Cop that was pretty fun. He’s a cop and he uses extremely specific knowledge of Chinese ghosts to fight a mystic and her zombie drug traffickers.

https://youtu.be/iyOIBgm8xKU?si=9B49vG66EbAZblZ9

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

I can't believe argyle isn't getting good reviews. the critics will pay for besmirching argyle

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

found him

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

His only crime was being way way way too popular

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.
I would like to see movies made by people who make movies rather than jobbers doing the bare minimum to poo poo out exactly what the marketing dept demands after holding three focus groups with people who are literally too stupid and useless to have anything constructive to do at 3 am on a Wednesday.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I would like all vfx artists to unionize. only for selfish reasons though, I just want execs to be forced to give creatives the time they need to actually make movies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

kalel posted:

I would like all vfx artists to unionize. only for selfish reasons though, I just want execs to be forced to give creatives the time they need to actually make movies

Unionize then charge extra every time a studio changes its mind.

Finally rid the planet of marvel movies