Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Sleeping Table better still be a terror.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Item Getter posted:

ImpAtom I'm curious to know if they buffed the full moon shadows (and Strega) in this version. I always thought it was a really weird game balance decision that the full moon shadows (+ Strega) were always really talked up in advance, but when you fight them they were nearly always big pushovers that died in like 2 turns, while the palette swapped normal enemy mini-bosses in Tartarus were often much tougher. I always assumed it was done this way since you could only save at the dorm and Tartarus entrance in the original, but looks like you can save anywhere now.

They also did that because, being fixed date bosses and lack of meaningful rewinds (I think P3 already had the option but it was way more limited?) meant you could get softlocked if you didn't grind enough while Tartarus bosses could be done at your pace.

The remake having a 5 day free rewind does fix that since it lets you spend a night grinding if you wish to.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

anakha posted:

Someone evidently needs their own spell gun.

For half the price you could get the digital artbook and soundtrack this time around.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Item Getter posted:

ImpAtom I'm curious to know if they buffed the full moon shadows (and Strega) in this version. I always thought it was a really weird game balance decision that the full moon shadows (+ Strega) were always really talked up in advance, but when you fight them they were nearly always big pushovers that died in like 2 turns, while the palette swapped normal enemy mini-bosses in Tartarus were often much tougher. I always assumed it was done this way since you could only save at the dorm and Tartarus entrance in the original, but looks like you can save anywhere now.

Some got buffs though they are still not huge challenges. Mostly some adjustments to gimmicks so you actually have to interact with them now.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

They also did that because, being fixed date bosses and lack of meaningful rewinds (I think P3 already had the option but it was way more limited?) meant you could get softlocked if you didn't grind enough while Tartarus bosses could be done at your pace.

This was me attempting to play FES without using a guide. At least with vanilla P3 I think you got unlimited stamina the night before a full moon or something, but that got nixed in FES. Just kept hanging out with people until oops too late. I imagine that's why later games in the series got super pushy about there being a deadline.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

ImpAtom posted:

Some got buffs though they are still not huge challenges. Mostly some adjustments to gimmicks so you actually have to interact with them now.

Better than nothing I guess

Also in other news, there's a Persona concert tour in May/June titled "Persona Live Tour 2024: More ahead" which sounds an awful lot from the title like it's teasing some kind of announcement. (It'll be a Persona 5 Royal: The Animation announcement while someone in a Morgana costume is molested on camera for 2 hours.)

housemaster!!1
Oct 6, 2015

DUNT 4GEHT 2 FLAAHP UR ARRMAZ
Please guys tell me, for someone who has never played any Persona or shin megami tensei game: Where should I start?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

housemaster!!1 posted:

Please guys tell me, for someone who has never played any Persona or shin megami tensei game: Where should I start?

That is an incredibly difficult question to answer because they are pretty different.

Persona 3 Reload is probably not a bad place to start for the Persona series to be honest.

For SMT the easiest answer is either Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne (available in an HD version on most consoles) or Shin Megami Tensei V (Switch.) The former is basically considered the high point of the SMT main series but the latter has more modern mechanics and design choices.

But it really depends on what you're looking for. SMTIII is harder and more of a pure dungeon crawl with only moments of plot, Persona is more of a social/plot game which occasionally goes into dungeons.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

housemaster!!1 posted:

smt nine on the original xbox

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

There, maybe some of the online bitching will be silenced.

https://twitter.com/mbkksstbhz5/status/1752552368384704671?t=aN2su965H11-OIfPfu3sGQ

Or maybe not :lol:

https://twitter.com/MbKKssTBhz5/status/1752563462247436527

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Let's assume you're going to start with a Persona game. It's a good entry point into the core mechanics of fusion. Persona 3 Reload comes out in 2 days and a lot of people really like 3. I'm not one of them! Also, that version cuts out my favorite parts of that game! I'm half-tempted to refer you to Persona 3 Portable instead because of that, but that would be silly. Reload will probably be the most approachable game in the series. If you like it, you can try a game that resonated a lot more with me despite being a lot more... questionable in a lot of ways, Persona 4 Golden. That game's a bit more dated in gameplay though. And then there's Persona 5 Royal, which Persona 3 Reload is basically using as a template for its adjusted gameplay. It's probably the one that's going to play the best, especially for a newcomer. Basically none of these games are directly connected to each other in terms of story, though, so don't worry about that. People like Persona 2, but it's hard to play in more ways than one, so maybe save that for when you're trying to get deeper in the weeds. There's also Persona 1, which only contrarians like.

If you want to get into SMT after that, I recommend one of the Devil Survivor games or SMTIV and SMTIV Apocalypse, assuming you can play 3DS games. If not and you have a Switch, SMTV.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

"gently caress you," sources said. "We're delisting Portable too."

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Persona 3 Reloaded Remix with all DLC and (even more) story confirmed. Please look forward to it in 2025.

Can we stop?

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Chaotic Flame posted:

Persona 3 Reloaded Remix with all DLC and (even more) story confirmed. Please look forward to it in 2025.

Can we stop?

Atlus is implying no rereleases for P3R:

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

I might be misremembering but didn't they do that with P5 too?

e. Honestly, the saddest part of no FeMC is the fact that we probably never get Wiping All Out in the game. :smith:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Well, yeah, they're gonna say that, if they announce they plan to rerelease it people might decide to wait for the edition that actually has all the poo poo they want in it. It's funny that Atlus has to announce that, though, because it's really their own fault that they have to.

That doesn't mean I think they're going to rerelease it, because I currently don't. If they're releasing The Answer as DLC then the female route is in a bad spot where it's too substantial to add in as DLC later (especially since they don't seem to be doing it anyway) and not substantial enough to justify selling the game at full price for a fifth loving time on the basis of it alone.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Arist posted:

If they're releasing The Answer as DLC then the female route is in a bad spot where it's too substantial to add in as DLC later (especially since they don't seem to be doing it anyway) and not substantial enough to justify selling the game at full price for a fifth loving time on the basis of it alone.

Atlus releases the Answer, announces FeMC release 2 years later, tells modders to just mod the Answer to fit her in, watches the online meltdown that ensues.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Unfortunately P3R has so many anime cutscenes I think that kills any chance of a FemMC DLC. Half the reason it worked in P3P is because they could just use stills and such instead of redoing all the cutscenes.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I am FeMC's strongest soldier and I truly do not care if she has a version of The Answer

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Unfortunately P3R has so many anime cutscenes I think that kills any chance of a FemMC DLC. Half the reason it worked in P3P is because they could just use stills and such instead of redoing all the cutscenes.

this is shocking to me because so far all I know about the anime cutscenes is that they axed the one for the Orpheus awakening but kept the one for 5 seconds of riding a monorail to school

I assumed this was for budget reasons and they just didn't have very many but apparently not, they just specifically cut arguably the most important one

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Hype for Answer DLC. Shame about feMC but hey maybe in another decade they'll give her another shot.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

cock hero flux posted:

this is shocking to me because so far all I know about the anime cutscenes is that they axed the one for the Orpheus awakening but kept the one for 5 seconds of riding a monorail to school

I assumed this was for budget reasons and they just didn't have very many but apparently not, they just specifically cut arguably the most important one

My honest assumption is that the anime cutscenes are largely there to do things the engine might have trouble doing or which require a lot of unique assets. The Orpheus awakening is something they can comfortably do in-engine so no need to do that, while the monorail would probably be more time/budget than just an animation.

(Like one example is I think they have a limit on how many characters can be moving around at once onscreen, so anything that involves the entire team trends towards anime cutscene unless people have a reason to be mostly standing still.)

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

ImpAtom posted:

Stuff like this makes me wonder what they're even doing over there. Persona 5's FMVs ended up dictating the entire course of the plot because they were too expensive to can, and right when it seems like they've finally gotten the technology to obviate them, they lean in even harder. And they do so on a project where that means further shoving some of the better story in this franchise into the margins.

I wish they'd just come out and say they're never doing it. Like, "gently caress off, we gave you that P3P port, scraps for a stray dog, that's what you deserve."

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Hype for Answer DLC. Shame about feMC but hey maybe in another decade they'll give her another shot.

Are we really at the point where we're like "hey, maybe in ten years they'll remake it again"? I find that incredibly dark.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

No I just think it'd be the funniest possible outcome.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Arist posted:

Are we really at the point where we're like "hey, maybe in ten years they'll remake it again"? I find that incredibly dark.

Fun fact: Since I've started doing game reviews, I've done a review for Persona 3, Persona 3 FES, Persona 3 Portable, Persona 3 Portable HD, and Persona 3 Reload!

I've also reviewed The Last Of Us 3 times in a much shorter timeframe to be fair.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
fond memories of that very first intro

AH WAN WAN FWOM
DA DAHK GADDA HEY
ANY CHAIN ME TO THIS PIE, YEAH

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

ImpAtom posted:

Fun fact: Since I've started doing game reviews, I've done a review for Persona 3, Persona 3 FES, Persona 3 Portable, Persona 3 Portable HD, and Persona 3 Reload!

I've also reviewed The Last Of Us 3 times in a much shorter timeframe to be fair.

What I mean is, even if it does happen, that is a bad thing we shouldn't root for. That's why I'm so annoyed about all this, there is literally no possible outcome that I don't find profoundly insulting.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I'd rather just play portable tbh

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Meowywitch posted:

I'd rather just play portable tbh

the reduction of everything to like, visual novel style seems to be a massive downgrade to me honestly to the point of being intolerable

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Gonna be interesting how the Answer plays with basically like every change that's been added since.

Also if they'll actually make Metis an interesting character because I think she's like one of the most unpopular ones out there.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

cock hero flux posted:

the reduction of everything to like, visual novel style seems to be a massive downgrade to me honestly to the point of being intolerable

it is

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

ApplesandOranges posted:

Gonna be interesting how the Answer plays with basically like every change that's been added since.

Also if they'll actually make Metis an interesting character because I think she's like one of the most unpopular ones out there.

They'll replace her with Labrys

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ApplesandOranges posted:

Metis as a character doesn't have a lot going for her because of what she is, TBH. She's just an extension of Aigis, so there isn't much to care about for her as herself aside from design. (And to give the player someone to replace Aigis in-combat since Aigis takes over as the protag role.)

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

cock hero flux posted:

There are only like 3 cutscenes in the entire game that actually used the models well in the original PS2 game. It's not much of a loss.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

given how underanimated the models are in original p3 i unironically think the vn style is an improvement.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
koromaru running around in a circle on walks before the little satisfaction flower thing popped up is the only one i remember

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Running around with my hands in my pockets ruled, but probably not worth playing over portable

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

given how underanimated the models are in original p3 i unironically think the vn style is an improvement.

Honestly I agree. There are like a couple of things which come across worse but it wasn't a huge loss. P3R at least has like actual animations now.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

One other question - is the new content spread out fairly evenly throughout the game, or is it mostly early on? Like are there still things like the hangouts or whatever in the later months?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

One other question - is the new content spread out fairly evenly throughout the game, or is it mostly early on? Like are there still things like the hangouts or whatever in the later months?

It's spread throughout. Things like the shared computer or hangouts get introduced pretty drat early and Theurgy is introduced after the second Full Moon boss fight, along with the new costumes.