Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I messed around with XLD. I figured it out, but I think it's too much for my boomer dad. I'm thinking I'm gonna stick with the Apple Lossless for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Last Chance posted:

Is there a second display plugged into the MacBook?

I will frequently have up to 3 externals going but this is usually happening with none attached.

haruspicy
Feb 10, 2023
Is there really not an easy way to reliably connect Excel on an M1 Mac with MySQL without paying for an ODBC driver? Everything seems to turn up devart.com and another one but the free mysql-odbc-connector constantly errors or crashes entirely, so I'm wondering if I just have to pay up

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Can anyone vouch for any apps that would let me control master volume over when audio is being sent to my monitor via displayport and then out to my speakers? It's weird that I can control the volume for plenty of individual apps (like music, podcasts, etc), but not the master volume if audio is being sent this way.

Sucks not being able to use the volume keys, or control volume system-wide, and I'd rather not have to plug the speakers into the headphone jack on my macbook every time I dock the thing.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Today I once again was reminded about macOS's terrible multi monitor support. Let's review the list:

If set as “monitors have separate spaces”
  • When you drag a window from one monitor to another there’s some “dead spot” where if you drop the window there in between it straight up disappears and you need to get it back via mission control or whatever. ***this is what basically happened today

• Can’t have a window stretch across multiple monitors.

If not set as “monitors have separate spaces”

• If you fullscreen an app it blanks out the other screen

• Menu bar only shows up on one monitor

General

• MacBook Pro with M3 chip can only support one external display!

• Cannot remember window or app position. For example: open a file in Preview, drag it to the other screen, close the window, open another file, it opens back in the other place. Need to use software like Stay to fix.

• Can’t do two video outs on one usbc.

• thing about spaces.

• menu bar disappears when you have certain apps full screen on another monitor. This isn’t all apps and apparently has to do with how full screen is implemented in that app. It happens in Firefox and Serato DJ Pro among others.

• Can’t disable internal monitor (if you want to JUST use external monitor)

• On hn a lot of people are saying if you have more than one external monitor then there’s a bunch of problems, forgetting order, etc. I only use one external monitor so I don’t know about these problems. also on that thread someone said don’t give monitors separate spaces to fix some of my other problems.

• Universal Access keeps resetting.

• Dialog boxes pop up on the screen you have focus on regardless of where the window is.

• Turning off one monitor will make macos think the monitor is disconnected and reshuffle all the windows onto the other monitor

---

So what happened today? I upgraded to 14.3 and Spotlight stopped showing up. After thinking it's an indexing thing or something else, I on a whim unplugged my external monitor and there it is, showing up as expected! Plugged monitor back in and now it's still working fine. So it was just hidden in that mystery area. Stupid.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Implying that there's a way in which "Spotlight" and "working fine" occur in a comprehensible sentence

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Dans Macabre posted:

Today I once again was reminded about macOS's terrible multi monitor support. Let's review the list:

If set as “monitors have separate spaces”
  • When you drag a window from one monitor to another there’s some “dead spot” where if you drop the window there in between it straight up disappears and you need to get it back via mission control or whatever. ***this is what basically happened today

• Can’t have a window stretch across multiple monitors.

If not set as “monitors have separate spaces”

• If you fullscreen an app it blanks out the other screen

• Menu bar only shows up on one monitor

General

• MacBook Pro with M3 chip can only support one external display!

• Cannot remember window or app position. For example: open a file in Preview, drag it to the other screen, close the window, open another file, it opens back in the other place. Need to use software like Stay to fix.

• Can’t do two video outs on one usbc.

• thing about spaces.

• menu bar disappears when you have certain apps full screen on another monitor. This isn’t all apps and apparently has to do with how full screen is implemented in that app. It happens in Firefox and Serato DJ Pro among others.

• Can’t disable internal monitor (if you want to JUST use external monitor)

• On hn a lot of people are saying if you have more than one external monitor then there’s a bunch of problems, forgetting order, etc. I only use one external monitor so I don’t know about these problems. also on that thread someone said don’t give monitors separate spaces to fix some of my other problems.

• Universal Access keeps resetting.

• Dialog boxes pop up on the screen you have focus on regardless of where the window is.

• Turning off one monitor will make macos think the monitor is disconnected and reshuffle all the windows onto the other monitor

---

So what happened today? I upgraded to 14.3 and Spotlight stopped showing up. After thinking it's an indexing thing or something else, I on a whim unplugged my external monitor and there it is, showing up as expected! Plugged monitor back in and now it's still working fine. So it was just hidden in that mystery area. Stupid.
I'm going to be honest, I think you probably have the wrong computer for whatever it is you're trying to do here. Both Mac threads always bang on about making sure you know the limitations of external screens before you get a MacBook and the list of stuff is a big part of why. For reference, I have a M1 Pro 14" MBP (2 external monitors) at work and an M1 Max Studio (3 external monitors) at home and I haven't run into any of the things you listed that aren't deliberate design choices on Apple's part like not being able to span windows across multiple screens.

The last point about windows reshuffling when you turn off a screen is a feature and Windows does it as well because they both remember your screen orientation as grouping of monitors (e.g. if I turn off my left monitor I've gone from 3 screens to 2 screens and I might have the orientation different) so that people can have the OS remember what happens when you use a laptop with a single external screen vs taking it to a dock with multiple.

Quite a lot of the other stuff you've got listed like Universal Access resetting is strange and sounds like either an application or some management settings are causing that. Is this your own personal computer or is it a work computer that has some sort of MDM framework/security software on it?

If you're really worried about how this is working one of the things you might want to look into is a full wipe/reinstall using a USB stick made from the current macOS installer from the App Store rather than using 'erase all contents and settings' (which will continue to use the existing OS install so if there's something wrong with the core install there still will be after the erase).

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Thanks I guess I’m holding it wrong but these are issues I’ve had across multiple personal Macs. :shrug:

3des these nuts
Nov 10, 2023

Dans Macabre posted:

Thanks I guess I’m holding it wrong but these are issues I’ve had across multiple personal Macs. :shrug:

does the issue persist after a format and logging in without iCloud? i've had issues chase me until i realized it was the iCloud containers with corrupt plists syncing to every device

one of my iCloud accounts is hosed, all of my apps stopped syncing to iCloud after turning advanced data protection on and off and back on again over the course of a few months and support has been useless (what is a key encrypting key for 1000, alex). it doesn't help i downloaded every app off the app store on that iCloud account to feed to a local machine learning model and probably hitting some edge case

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Dans Macabre posted:

It's less holding it wrong and more that if you're expecting multi-monitor support you really need to be buying an Mx Pro or better CPU as the base M3 doesn't do more than one external. The amount of external monitor outputs are listed in the tech specs for each model and these threads are very vocal about it when people ask about buying new hardware so if you're complaining about multi-monitor support from something that doesn't have the hardware support for it you're not going to get much in the way of sympathy.

I agree with 3des these nuts that if you're seeing weird software and service issues that other people aren't across multiple devices it's probably something corrupt that's being synced around between devices by a cloud service or carried over by the Migration Assistant if you're using that. I obviously don't know your personal circumstances about how you have everything set up but starting with your iCloud account seems reasonable.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

I think you’re absolutely right it’s me expecting more than what it’s designed to deliver, and I’m just disappointed with these choices Apple makes.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

oh my work mac, email links are opened in mail, but I want to them to open in outlook. however apparently changing this requires me to change something in the mail app... but that requires me to first setup a mail account to change the settings? am i going insane

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Dans Macabre posted:

[*] Can’t disable internal monitor (if you want to JUST use external monitor)

Not sure exactly what your use case is, but you absolutely can - just close the lid. You need an external mouse and keyboard, but that's usually what you want anyways when working entirely on an external monitor.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Fair enough

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I'm trying to do some screen recording using a microphone hooked up to an audio interface. When I record with quicktime the audio only comes out of one channel. I know I can fix this in Garageband after the fact but these are just videos for my coworkers so ideally not having a whole post-processing step would be nice. Does anyone know if there's some simple screen recording software that handles this automatically or a way to get quicktime to treat the incoming signal as mono?

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

prom candy posted:

I'm trying to do some screen recording using a microphone hooked up to an audio interface. When I record with quicktime the audio only comes out of one channel. I know I can fix this in Garageband after the fact but these are just videos for my coworkers so ideally not having a whole post-processing step would be nice. Does anyone know if there's some simple screen recording software that handles this automatically or a way to get quicktime to treat the incoming signal as mono?

I have a Zoom license from work and that's what I use for this stuff.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

prom candy posted:

OBS is the free gold standard for this, I think. Zoom will also do it but the non-pro version has limited meeting times and Zoom doesn’t offer much in the way of quality or bitrate control for the recorded video.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

bobfather posted:

OBS is the free gold standard for this, I think.

I figured this would be overkill but nope, works great and only took about 10 mins to set up. I can even put my webcam in the corner for that ~personal touch~, thanks!

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Oh gently caress me. Have you always been able to drag a program to a screen on the other side of a full sized app via just pulling the mouse all the way across to the "empty" screen? Until now I had always just gave up when the window being moved would run into the full sized app and stop.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

prom candy posted:

Can you provide make/model for the audio interface and microphone, if it's a semi-pro model using a balanced xlr or trs jack, you are going to get mono audio from it and you will be requiring some audio filter work to "double" it. Theoretically, the MIDI app in macos should let you do some basic mono/stereo tricks.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Feb 1, 2024

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Yeah my first guess would be to pull up the device in Utilities > Audio MIDI Setup and see what it looks like.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

SlowBloke posted:

Can you provide make/model for the audio interface and microphone, if it's a semi-pro model using a balanced xlr or trs jack, you are going to get mono audio from it and you will be requiring some audio filter work to "double" it. Theoretically, the MIDI app in macos should let you do some basic mono/stereo tricks.

Most bog standard setup on earth: Focusrite 2i2 and an AT2020

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Warbird posted:

Oh gently caress me. Have you always been able to drag a program to a screen on the other side of a full sized app via just pulling the mouse all the way across to the "empty" screen? Until now I had always just gave up when the window being moved would run into the full sized app and stop.
It's been around for quite a while (I'm pretty sure it was added to macOS the release after they added it to iOS for iPads as 'multitasking') but since most people probably don't have multiple windows open full-screen on multiple monitors and then try and drag one all the way to the end they'd never know it's there.

I think you can also use Mission Control to do the same thing by dragging the full screen app preview in the top bit directly on top of the full screen app preview for the other app.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

prom candy posted:

Most bog standard setup on earth: Focusrite 2i2 and an AT2020

You could use this virtual wire trick to double the audio feed

https://github.com/kunichiko/MS2109-mono-to-stereo-mac

or you could export each recording and just double the audio track in something like audacity.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
e: this post was meant to be directed to the user having trouble with his mic not outputting mono

Is there a spot in MacOS that lets you select which input to use for your recording device? These interfaces can sometimes expose themselves as different devices on Windows, but with different input ports. My Behringer, for example:

If I used "IN 1-2" with a single mic, I would get my mic going to either the left or right channel recording input. It is only when I have "IN 1" that it works as expected with a single mic.

Kibner fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Feb 2, 2024

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
You can use the aforementioned Audio MIDI Setup to create hybrid input and output devices, and then select that device from the standard audio settings menu.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Kibner posted:

e: this post was meant to be directed to the user having trouble with his mic not outputting mono

Is there a spot in MacOS that lets you select which input to use for your recording device? These interfaces can sometimes expose themselves as different devices on Windows, but with different input ports. My Behringer, for example:

If I used "IN 1-2" with a single mic, I would get my mic going to either the left or right channel recording input. It is only when I have "IN 1" that it works as expected with a single mic.

:whatup: fellow UMC204HD haver, mind confirming one thing for me? I've recently got one and i've found the windows balance controls (left-right levels) to be nonfunctional for any OUT channel, can you kindly test moving one channel slider to zero and playing stereo sound to confirm if it's a general driver bug or it's just mine to be hosed?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

SlowBloke posted:

:whatup: fellow UMC204HD haver, mind confirming one thing for me? I've recently got one and i've found the windows balance controls (left-right levels) to be nonfunctional for any OUT channel, can you kindly test moving one channel slider to zero and playing stereo sound to confirm if it's a general driver bug or it's just mine to be hosed?

I'm out of town until Sunday evening, so I'll try to remember.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Kibner posted:

I'm out of town until Sunday evening, so I'll try to remember.

Thank you!

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I use a Stream Deck to control my smart home stuff via Home Assistant. This has a habit of stopping working, requiring me to restart the Stream Deck application, which I'm trying to automate.

I've tried doing it via CLI with pkill, but this does not terminate it properly because I think it actually runs multiple plugins/helpers. So instead I'm trying to use Automator with the following actions:

Each action accomplishes its aim just fine, but I find that when I try and run them as a set it never progresses past the first one to quit the application and it shows the red X as in the screenshot. When I open the results bit it just says that it's running, then that it's stopped. When this happens it does indeed quit the application, I just can't figure out why it doesn't move on to the next step. I've not used automator much, is there something obvious I'm missing?

Then a follow up question - once it's relaunched, is there a way to close the window without killing it? I tried the 'watch me do' thing but it seems to be reliant on positioning.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Has anyone had trouble exporting from a shared album on Photos? It’s a combination of Live Photos and actual photos if that makes a difference.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Maybe I am using it wrong but for the life of me I can't figure out how its supposed to work,

When I game on my MBP the notifications do not pop up over the game and while I get the notifications on my phone / watch neither of them alert me to a new message because they rightfully assume my focus is on the MBP.

So like what's the solution here? I want to have notifications on my MBP still but I'd also like to be alerted when they come in.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

If you set focus mode on the MBP, does it help? I don’t know if that’s ecosystem-wide or just per-machine.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Iirc that’s a function of the “game mode” they shipped with Sonoma. Go look around in your settings for that and see if you can tweak it a bit.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Warbird posted:

Iirc that’s a function of the “game mode” they shipped with Sonoma. Go look around in your settings for that and see if you can tweak it a bit.

OK yeah I actually just found that when Subjunctive suggested the focus mode. I'm gonna give that a shot and see how it works but I think it should work.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Well the focus mode didn't work. I set it to gaming and for the MBP only and the notifications pop up on my phone but my watch doesn't notify me.

I really must be missing something here lol like maybe if the MBP dinged when the notification came in that would be cool too but it doesn't even do that focus mode or not.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I have a similar problem, when I’m at my Mac text messages go through silently on my phone. I don’t want notification sounds on my Mac or popups but I do still want my text message notification to sound on my phone

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

So I added the only person I cared about to the focus and the messages now popup over the game and ding.

Also now my watch notifies me? Hell I dunno but I guess its working.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
What's the best virtualization tool for running x86 linux VMs on a modern Apple Silicon host? Ideally using Rosetta so that performance isn't dogshit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Twerk from Home posted:

What's the best virtualization tool for running x86 linux VMs on a modern Apple Silicon host? Ideally using Rosetta so that performance isn't dogshit?

UTM is a pretty good and simple one to use: https://mac.getutm.app/gallery/

There are a few things you can't do (like passthrough USB devices, iirc) but that is a limitation on Apple's side because they haven't exposed a way to do that, yet.

Kibner fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Feb 12, 2024