Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Opopanax posted:

He explains it a bit but there's a lot going on. They've been doing the cycle over and over again, and every time they reset some life is drained out of the world, which is why it's black and white but changes to colour at the end (and why everyone in the studio who can see the colour is so flabbergasted).
They don't really address the tech directly but I took it as it actually being 2020 (or close to) but the constant resets draining everything also set everyone and everything back causing the Retro look

In my understanding they sold the people’s future for power, that’s why they have modern tech and no one else does. That’s why “the future is over” is so meaningful, literalized in the disappearances in particular of children (which of course actually happened a lot during the US-backed Argentinian dictatorship of the 80s).

Really dug that movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

also bumping this because I left it at the bottom of the last page and I seem to recall someone in the thread knowing a producer or something??

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Watched History of the Occult today - thanks thread for reminding me about it, I saw a trailer for it at my local theater ages ago and forgot about it. Really loved it!

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Watched two pretty good spook’em ups on Netflix, the Wretched and The Old Ways. The Wretched is a pretty good retelling of the old changeling folklore, I wonder what other movies put you in the mindset of the protagonist forgetting someone whose been there throughout the movie. Felt very Mr. Poopybutthole, but in a good way?

The Old Ways was a four star exorcist flick but ”I’m a motherfucking bruja” knocked it down a half star for me.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
The Coens directing a horror movie is just one of those things that's just so perfect plus you know they are going to show new range.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
Coens horror movie sounds like a dream come true

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
I'd forgotten I'd seen History of the Occult. I also recommend it.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Coens are close with Sam Raimi; for the love of God please let this also inspire him to make another straight up horror movie.

Drag Me to Hell kicks so much rear end but it was 15 years ago. I don't need Raimi to be another director sucked into the MCU's current homogenized blender or getting pulled into directing the next Willy Wonka movie or something.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
but he already got sucked into the mcu AND directed a willy-wonka-remake-rear end oz movie. the real hope is that he comes back around on the other side of these things at some point.

On a different note we're halfway through a rewatch of Hannibal and good god even as a lot of the "murder-art" sticks in your memory from the show, you sometimes forget just how much they got away with on what is essentially still just a network procedural.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I completely forgot that Oz movie existed.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I completely forgot that Oz movie existed.

It's Raimi's highest grossing film other than the Spider-Man movies but I dare anyone alive to recount the plot of that movie.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Raimi said last year that he's planning on doing a remake of Magic next so I hope that pans out.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

A Fancy Hat posted:

It's Raimi's highest grossing film other than the Spider-Man movies but I dare anyone alive to recount the plot of that movie.

It’s Army of Darkness but for kids.

It’s not bad.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Pretzel Rod Serling posted:

In my understanding they sold the people’s future for power, that’s why they have modern tech and no one else does. That’s why “the future is over” is so meaningful, literalized in the disappearances in particular of children (which of course actually happened a lot during the US-backed Argentinian dictatorship of the 80s).

Really dug that movie

For me at least, knowing some of the actual history of Argentina during the 80s made the film click harder with me.

A Fancy Hat posted:

Was that the one with the Wizard of Oz arriving in Oz and having something with the Wicked Witch of the West before she was wicked?

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Nikumatic posted:

but he already got sucked into the mcu AND directed a willy-wonka-remake-rear end oz movie. the real hope is that he comes back around on the other side of these things at some point.

On a different note we're halfway through a rewatch of Hannibal and good god even as a lot of the "murder-art" sticks in your memory from the show, you sometimes forget just how much they got away with on what is essentially still just a network procedural.

Maybe he had to do studio work for a bit to get the ability to direct one of his wild ideas.

Kind of like how Eli Roth had to make a Death Wish remake with Bruce Willis before he was able to make Thanksgiving.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

A Fancy Hat posted:

Coens are close with Sam Raimi; for the love of God please let this also inspire him to make another straight up horror movie.

Yea the story is that when Raimi hired an editor for Evil Dead, it just so happened that one of the Coens was working as an assistant there. So then when it came time for them to make Blood Simple they used a lot of what they'd learned an observed from the experience of working with Raimi on Evil Dead.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Basebf555 posted:

Yea the story is that when Raimi hired an editor for Evil Dead, it just so happened that one of the Coens was working as an assistant there. So then when it came time for them to make Blood Simple they used a lot of what they'd learned an observed from the experience of working with Raimi on Evil Dead.

And they lived in a house with Frances McDormand and Kathy Bates.

It's a weird house to imagine what happened in there.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

MacheteZombie posted:

History of the Occult?

Movie owns, btw.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

You guys want Raimi to come back to horror but you all missed when he did with the dope af The Golden Arm for Quibi

You laughed at it. But it was Raimi goodness.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I still say "I'll be there in a Quibi"

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

CelticPredator posted:

You guys want Raimi to come back to horror but you all missed when he did with the dope af The Golden Arm for Quibi

You laughed at it. But it was Raimi goodness.

I have still yet to see that and was excited to.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

People kept making fun of the golden arm like sam forgot how to do camp.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
They so badly wanted to make fun of Quibi (as though there was a lack of material) so "And they made a show about a woman with a possessed golden arm" is an easy way to be all "Look how ridiculous this is"

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Quibi was indeed silly but that was the only good thing on it I saw. I only watched sams segment but it was a pretty fun idea for an anthology show

A story for every state

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
History of the Occult does indeed own, love a classic magical conspiracy heist movie with mockumentary aspects and format fuckery

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

My only complaint about HotC is that I wanted more creepy poo poo. One of the early scares with the all-black figure with the pinpoint eyes was awesome, and I wanted to see more of him, and there wasn't much more. Don't show me neat things to get me all curious and then cut me off, dawg, I need them spoops!

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

A Fancy Hat posted:

Drag Me to Hell kicks so much rear end but it was 15 years ago.

Drag Me to Hell is so unfair to the main character. Raimi took whatever torture he threw on Ash and amped it up for Alison Lohman's character. There's nothing more cruel than making someone have to date Justin Long.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

M_Sinistrari posted:

For me at least, knowing some of the actual history of Argentina during the 80s made the film click harder with me.
If you'd like a horror movie that will kick you in the teeth and is based on incredibly tragic real-life Chilean history, The Wolf House is your go-to. It's also a more stunning achievement technically than Mad God

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Yea but Mad God has a cameo by the cyclops from 7th Voyage of Sinbad.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Shrecknet posted:

If you'd like a horror movie that will kick you in the teeth and is based on incredibly tragic real-life Chilean history, The Wolf House is your go-to. It's also a more stunning achievement technically than Mad God

Got it on my watchlist. Thanks.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Yay!

Still waiting on a final color grade but that should be done ages before the festival (which is in August)

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Hell yeah. I hope it goes well!

Try and make sure they’re using your final too. Just a double check before or sometbkng

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

It also got into a festival in the US of A in the spring but I'm not allowed to say which yet as the official notification date is not upon us but I am specifically allowed to "tease" so that's what I'm doing.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Nthing the recommendation for The Wolf House.

Redwood Creek just announced their first 2024 project, and I'm torn. On the one hand, it's The Avenging Conscience, a 1914 silent movie that is sometimes referred to as America's first feature length horror movie. On the other, it was directed by DW Griffith. Griffith was an amazing director who had a huge hand in creating the language of cinema, but he was also a supporter of the KKK and Redwood Creek have bent over backwards not to mention this in the project description. I can understand why, but come on.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
What better genre than horror?

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I got free tickets to see Lisa Frankenstein on Monday, and I’m seeing minus one minus color tonight. Good start to the month

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

My closest theater's playing the Best Picture nominations throughout the month, so I'll finally get to see Poor Things and The Zone of Interest. Might only get to see one more thing in theaters in February due to timing, got a week to decide if I want Lisa Frankenstein or opening-night Dune 2. Either way :hellyeah:

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

i managed to snag tickets for that week early screening of Dune 2. really looking forward to that. Think that's on Feb 25th.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

dorium posted:

i managed to snag tickets for that week early screening of Dune 2. really looking forward to that. Think that's on Feb 25th.

Yup, the 25th. I got one too. Hope I can get one of those perved out popcorn buckets too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/Shudder/status/1753064454814593328?s=20

I know what I'm doing friday night!

Long Live The New Flesh!

(Shame James Woods turned out to be a piece of poo poo, but at least you get to see him suffer and die in Videodrome)