Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

People keep wanting more D&D RPGs, here I am waiting for someone to make a new D&D beat-em-up.

...maybe a kart racer where instead of dailies you refresh abilities every lap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Plutonis posted:

Chairman Xi will kill DND forever god willing
If there's one thing grognards hate, it's Dungeons & Dragons with Chinese characteristics.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Jesus, that really sucks. I genuinely don't get why he latches onto some people so loving hard. I hope other than this poo poo, things are going better nowadays for you.

Megazver posted:

Apparently they just want the exclusive rights for videogame adaptations, not the actual tabletop system.

TBH, this could backfire, but it might also be better than the current arrangement. We got no crpgs during the entire 4E run and only some shovelware, Solasta (which was made without their permission based on the SRD) and BG3 during ten years of 5e. Yeah, BG3 is good, but we could have gotten so many more decent videogames out of it. WOTC has just kind of been sitting on the license for the most part.

Personally, I think the wise long-term approach would be to get as permissive with licensing as Warhammer. Even though GW has been giving licenses left and right, the average quality of WH videogames has been surprisingly high and the highlights have been nearly as good as BG3 (which has been kind of a freak occurrence) and there was a lot more of them actually released. It's the classic Pottery Class Parable approach.

I was pontificating about D&D video games and got reminded that there was an atrocious attempt to reboot Dungeons & Dragons: Dark Alliance that came out in 2021, so that sure was a thing, too, hahah.

Anyway, that article is vague about what "series of rights" are being pursued besides exclusive video game rights or how it would have "dominant control" of the IP. If Hasbro does completely sell off D&D, it might disrupt a new edition of D&D for a few years, but I don't see why it would kill D&D dead. If another megacorp got the tabletop publication rights, it seems like a fairly low-maintenance income stream to maintain, and there'd absolutely be a ton of companies that would beg for licensing rights to publish a 6e.

This doesn't mean the end of anything. It'd be a rearrangement and consolidation of IPs, with the biggest loss being the death of permanent jobs, like the Microsoft/Blizzard merger.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

GrandpaPants posted:

People keep wanting more D&D RPGs, here I am waiting for someone to make a new D&D beat-em-up.

D&D tactics plz. Something like Marvel Midnight Suns would fit modern heroic D&D pretty well and avoid falling into being too close to the fire emblems and the like.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

GrandpaPants posted:

Somebody get Capcom on the line for a new side scrolling beat em up with a D&D coat of paint.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Ironically, magic missile would go from the least-powerful spell to the equivalent of the blue shell in a kart racer.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Jimbozig posted:

D&D tactics plz. Something like Marvel Midnight Suns would fit modern heroic D&D pretty well and avoid falling into being too close to the fire emblems and the like.

They made this for the PSP, it was pretty awful.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Just give me a new dnd flavored hexen IMO

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

https://jrients.blogspot.com/2024/01/egghead-reports-research-weirdos-pissed.html?m=1

Apparently this is flyin around.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

NinjaDebugger posted:

They made this for the PSP, it was pretty awful.

That looks like rear end. They should hire Firaxis to do it. They'll give all the heroes cool powers and bad dialogue. And you'll get to go back to the tavern where you research potions on the tech tree and pick missions from a cool magical hologram map.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

My memory is funny. I have absolutely no idea who Jeff Rients is, but that name is setting off alarm bells. Anyone want to remind me why I know that guy is a huge rear end in a top hat?

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

I've long felt like it was a sorely missed opportunity to have not done an AssCreed/Shadow of Mordor/whatever open-world game in Eberron, since Sharn the City of Towers is right there. Basically have the protagonist be a changeling rogue/sorcerer (or arcane trickster rogue in 5e parlance, I guess) as the flavor for your special abilities and the reason for the pseudo-stealth gameplay the tower-climber games always have.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Jimbozig posted:

That looks like rear end. They should hire Firaxis to do it. They'll give all the heroes cool powers and bad dialogue. And you'll get to go back to the tavern where you research potions on the tech tree and pick missions from a cool magical hologram map.

I'd have liked for it to go to Harebrained Schemes, before paradox gutted it, but I'd settle for Trese Brothers now.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Jimbozig posted:

Firaxis can't do a D&D-like XCOM game again because the director of the XCOM games left Firaxis after Midnight Suns (which he also directed) bombed on release.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
how do you make a "D&D Tactics" game that isn't just an implementation of D&D's combat rules?

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Jimbozig posted:

My memory is funny. I have absolutely no idea who Jeff Rients is, but that name is setting off alarm bells. Anyone want to remind me why I know that guy is a huge rear end in a top hat?

Has written for labyrinth lord and lamentation of the fart princess. Nuff said, really.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Jimbozig posted:

from 2018:

Ettin posted:

Jeff Rients is friends with/licks the boots of the OSR community's stalker weirdos. Last year, when GMS got sick of Zak's poo poo and posted screenshots of the private G+ group he uses to send his mates after people, Jeff was unironically telling the people that group was targeting that they shouldn't say anything in public because it's "inviting more of the same". Besides being a victim-blaming moral child he seems pretty okay though.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Jimbozig posted:

He's a blogger who's written a few modules and other things, most notably Broodmother SkyFortress for LotFP. He's made a point of saying "Well he seems alright to me and I still consider him a friend" every time Smith has been accused of something, from being an rear end in a top hat online to abusing his partners.

Jeff Rients posted:

So if you haven't heard, last week a researcher named Dr. Clio Weisman published an article on Medium called "The Worst People You Have Never Met, or, What I Learned During A Four Year Academic Study of Online Harassment In The Dungeons & Dragons Community." It was up for about 14 hours before the author pulled it for reasons to which I am not privy. But it was preserved here, so you can read it for yourself. Becami Cusack archived the referenced audio clips here. I look forward to reading a formal, peer-reviewed version of her findings when they are published.
LOL at the notion that this is going to be submitted for peer review, let alone accepted, let alone published. There's a very, very small chance that someone might one day use it as a cautionary tale.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jan 31, 2024

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

NinjaDebugger posted:

Has written for labyrinth lord and lamentation of the fart princess. Nuff said, really.

That explains both Zak and Darrick "Venger Satanis" Dishaw in the comment section.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

Nuns with Guns posted:

Firaxis can't do a D&D-like XCOM game again because the director of the XCOM games left Firaxis after Midnight Suns (which he also directed) bombed on release.

Aw, I didn't know that. I've just been playing Midnight Suns and having fun cranking up the difficulty until random Hydra goons are loving up Captain Marvel and my bob-cut handlebar-mustache custom hero. It's a good time.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Jimbozig posted:

Aw, I didn't know that. I've just been playing Midnight Suns and having fun cranking up the difficulty until random Hydra goons are loving up Captain Marvel and my bob-cut handlebar-mustache custom hero. It's a good time.

Yes, sadly most who've played it after the fact are like "hey, this weird card game with the Chris Claremont melodrama is really good!" but too little, too late.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

The writing kicks rear end. It's basically the best 90s cartoon you could hope for. I love the game play, but the like 5-10 hour on ramp til the combat really gets interesting is tough.

I definitely recommend anyone pick it up for 20 bucks or less.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Jimbozig posted:

It's interesting because at one point iirc he was considered one of the good eggs in the osr community.

That's basically disintegrated, but that was his reputation at one time.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

dwarf74 posted:

It's interesting because at one point iirc he was considered one of the good eggs in the osr community.

That's a common enough story that I have a lasting distrust of anything OSR.

I see an adventure called, like, "the demon pustule" or whatever and I guess some people writing this kind of stuff weren't into LotFP, but enough were that I'm never going to be surprised to hear "oh yeah, turns out that guy is an rear end in a top hat after all."

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

there was a RIFTS tactics game for the ngage

i just like telling people that

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Doc Hawkins posted:

there was a RIFTS tactics game for the ngage

i just like telling people that

Exclusive to the NGage.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Having read loads of investment news: that article about DND being sold has all the hallmarks of a more or less auto-written, badly translated, poor quality "investment news" article that is short on real facts and mostly scrapes info from websites. Until there's an actual announcement from Hasbro I'd suggest everyone ignore it. A reasonable interpretation is that it's an offering of licensing the digital rights for making games being filtered through a layer of misunderstanding by a writer who spent five minutes googling and doesn't realize there's a company called wizards of the coast that has a printed RPG which is under separate rights & licensing from the digital stuff, but I wouldn't even put much faith in the news that the license is being sold to tencent either.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Halloween Jack posted:

If there's one thing grognards hate, it's Dungeons & Dragons with Chinese characteristics.

Tencent, release the D&D jubensha!

Yeah, Erik Tenkar made a video about it too, but who cares what those reprobates think?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

Having read loads of investment news: that article about DND being sold has all the hallmarks of a more or less auto-written, badly translated, poor quality "investment news" article that is short on real facts and mostly scrapes info from websites.

It's the English version of the original article on a Chinese website who actually got the scoop from the Tencent side of things, which would explain how it reads. But yeah, who knows what's actually going on.

dwarf74 posted:

Was he? I recall people thinking his one module was good and that it had really good GM advice. (I read it and it was okay but I didn't really understand what the hype was about tbh.) I don't recall anything about his moral character.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Megazver posted:

It's the English version of the original article on a Chinese website who actually got the scoop from the Tencent side of things, which would explain how it reads. But yeah, who knows what's actually going on.

Yeah. It would make a lot of sense if the Chinese news site made the error of thinking the digital rights were The Thing rather than an offshoot of The Thing, and reporting that Tencent is considering buying (or licensing, which could translate to "buying" if your translation algorithm is poor?) the digital rights.

e. also I wonder if Hasbro wanted to sell off D&D it'd probably consider selling off Wizards in its entire? The Magic franchise is vastly more valuable, D&D is sort of a sideshow, and it's easier to package the entire Wizards company since it's already a subsidiary.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jan 31, 2024

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Comstar posted:

Gentleman, are you ready for the future of D&D!

Hasbro needs the money, just fired the staff who cost a lot to fatten it up and the biggest story the rest of the world knows is about D&D is Baldur's Gate III and how much money it made.

This kills the tabletop game.

This all ties back to WotC deciding to print Tome of Battle in 3.5. In this thread I will… 1/583

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I don't much care if Official D&DTM ceases publication, but I am not looking forward to 5-10 years of uniformly stupid articles about "Who Killed D&D?"

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Millennials.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah. It would make a lot of sense if the Chinese news site made the error of thinking the digital rights were The Thing rather than an offshoot of The Thing, and reporting that Tencent is considering buying (or licensing, which could translate to "buying" if your translation algorithm is poor?) the digital rights.

e. also I wonder if Hasbro wanted to sell off D&D it'd probably consider selling off Wizards in its entire? The Magic franchise is vastly more valuable, D&D is sort of a sideshow, and it's easier to package the entire Wizards company since it's already a subsidiary.
Isn't Magic also the only thing keeping Hasbro afloat as a company? Like the entire rest of their business is basically negative?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

moths posted:

Millennials.
If there's one thing I've learned from D&D, it's that snake people are to blame for many of our problems.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

MtG is notable segment of Hasbro's revenue but it isn't a majority of their profit. Like they own Peppa Pig which draws in an enormous amount of money from the parents of preschoolers.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Halloween Jack posted:

I don't much care if Official D&DTM ceases publication, but I am not looking forward to 5-10 years of uniformly stupid articles about "Who Killed D&D?"
Ryan Dancey.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

lol

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I killed D&D, and I’d do it again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Kurieg posted:

Isn't Magic also the only thing keeping Hasbro afloat as a company? Like the entire rest of their business is basically negative?

Sorta? It's a thing though, like back in the day, the only thing keeping General Motors afloat was its insurance arm GMAC... so they spun it off. The thing is you can radically juice your immediate balance sheet by selling something, and you can realistically only sell something that is nicely profitable if you want to get a good price for it. So this is one of those bizarre, apparently counterintuitive things that big companies do sometimes.

But D&D's actual staffing is somewhat intermixed with Wizards, so you could sell a license or you could sell the rights to the brand but you probably can't sell it as an operating subsidary on its own. Like I'm sure it has separate designers and artists and whatnot, but it's got the same HR, accounts receivable and payable, actual offices and computers and poo poo as the rest of Wizards. Awkward to sell it like that.

I'm speculating wildly here, I wanna reiterate that. I just think it's marginally less likely that Hasbro would sell the D&D brand including the pen and paper RPG rights without selling the rest of Wizards just to try and juice the numbers, mostly because I don't think it'd really juice the numbers much. I doubt it's worth more than a few million.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jan 31, 2024