Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
It being in Sweden this year was a huge fix anyway, Finland was robbed. Based on that my prediction is Israel are allowed to compete, come last in the public vote and are declared the winners by the judges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

the finale will certainly be fun to watch in any case, pro-palestinian actions isn’t exactly unheard of even during more (relatively) peaceful times (like the icelandic bands, or Madonna’s hidden outfit during her performance act in Israel)

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

The Finnish Helsingin Sanomat pointed out that a large sponsor of the Eurovision is MoroccanOil, an Israel-based cosmetics company. So, you know, they won't give Israel the boot due to money. :capitalism:

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Fittingly, Rust Materialis's dedication to the "facts" or "legality" of the matter is also a flag of convenience.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

big scary monsters posted:

It being in Sweden this year was a huge fix anyway, Finland was robbed. Based on that my prediction is Israel are allowed to compete, come last in the public vote and are declared the winners by the judges.
All a ploy by Big Denmark to win this year.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Does Eurovision have a similar effect like the Olympics where it craters a city for a few years for sweet gently caress all?

Presumably not to scale like the Olympics, as they’re using already existing facilities, but is there a “you hosed up a neighborhood for pole vaulting” type situation?

Konec Hry
Jul 13, 2005

too much love will kill you

Grimey Drawer
Well it will be held here in Malmö, so even if they did gently caress it up no one will really be able to tell the difference.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

the Norwegian eurovision cost around 200 million kr in 2010, so I think that’s a resounding “yes” to your question. and we even reused an existing venue

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Ireland started losing deliberately because it was bankrupting them.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

ulvir posted:

the Norwegian eurovision cost around 200 million kr in 2010, so I think that’s a resounding “yes” to your question. and we even reused an existing venue

remember when we got eurovision instead of the world cup lmao

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Grimson posted:

remember when we got eurovision instead of the world cup lmao

I am pretty sure we got both (at least the ski world cup). the cost of those was why I voted no to having the loving olympics on top of everything. that was one year I was actually thankful for FrP existing

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Megamissen posted:

the targets include ships with links to the three countries, i should have included that and it is a broader category
for example maersk does logistics work for the us military
https://delivers.maersk.com/industries/government/

When did it switch from "anyone supporting Israel" to "US, UK or Israel"? Was it before 31 December or after? Because I specifically limited the list to ships from 2023.

quote:

with one of the ships (ardmore encounter) i could find a detailed account of events

https://www.rivieramm.com/news-cont...on-tanker-78952
its possible that the warning shots caused the attack

So the ship was "50 nautical miles (nm) to the west of the Yemeni port of Hodeidah" (source: your linked article) and isn't Israeli (Irish-owned apparently?), was not headed to Israel (carrying "a cargo of jet fuel from India to the Netherlands or Sweden") and was attacked anyhow for warning off a boat with three armed men in it who approached without notice. I think that one goes in the "unknown reason" category at best.

quote:

but more to the general point, insurance companies would not seek to exclude ships with "US, UK or Israeli involvement" if the targeting was random
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2024-01-16/insurers-seek-to-exclude-us-uk-ships-from-red-sea-cover
https://archive.is/j9tJo#selection-4879.0-4879.195

This is why I specifically listed ships attacked before the bombing campaign started - as your article says

quote:

Some ship insurers are starting to avoid covering US and UK merchant ships against war risks when they navigate the southern Red Sea, another sign of blowback since the two nations’ airstrikes on Yemen last week.

so it cannot have been a reason for the ships listed to be attacked and can be excluded.

At this point I think this topic has more than run its course in this thread, and I'm not interested in responding to cheap shots here that seem to have started.

The bottom line is the Houthis were clearly not limiting their attacks to Israeli-owned or destined ships in late 2023 despite their claims to do so.

Ed: others may feel free to have the last word

Rust Martialis fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jan 31, 2024

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Piracy and other attacks on civilian shipping breaks international law and these tepid attempts at justifying them are blatantly bullshit from start to finish. Go somewhere else with that poo poo.

Esran
Apr 28, 2008

Rust Martialis posted:

At this point I think this topic has more than run its course in this thread, and I'm not interested in responding to cheap shots here that seem to have started.

Then you should probably stop posting about it, instead of trying to get the last word.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Wibla posted:

Piracy and other attacks on civilian shipping breaks international law and these tepid attempts at justifying them are blatantly bullshit from start to finish. Go somewhere else with that poo poo.

Just DD the offenders

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

Wibla posted:

The International Law respecter had logged on

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
Goon meet in the capital of Scandinavia next Friday:

Groda posted:

Groda posted:

:siren:Friday, February 9, 2024:siren:

Teen Witch and I are thinking of getting a Stockholm goon meet going.

Who's in?
:siren:Queen's Head (Drottninggatan 108), kl 18:00 :siren:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Groda posted:

Goon meet in the capital of Scandinavia next Friday:
This is just embarrassing.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I'm sorry to interrupt, but

My third attempt, didn't knead the dough enough I think, and way over corrected on the cardamom (went from pre-ground to fresh and it's way more potent). Folding them right didn't really work because the gluten in the dough wasn't developed enough.

One day I may get these right.

(I mean Kanelbullar, they may not be easily recognisable in the photo :v:)

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Too much cardamom? No such thing.

Nice buns! But looks like you didn't give them an egg wash?

I made "Finnish" kanelbullar the other week but didn't take any pictures. They're funny-looking, though.

I've taken to sprinkling light cane sugar instead of pärlsocker on the buns. The crystals are smaller and a bit transparent and look kinda beautiful. Taste better, too.

Last time I baked (a no-knead bread) I let the dough rise in the oven with just the pilot light on. It warms the air in there a couple of degrees and the yeast seemed to like it.

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

Here's something I think everyone can get behind.

https://twitter.com/Haman_Ten/status/1754826823387558210

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Yeah, focusing on Palestinian ones right now.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you
I don't understand what this is all about - but I'm inclined to agree with Saeed here based on gut feeling

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

For those of us without a Xitter account, do you have a screenshot of what this is a reply to?

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

I googled.

The company makes some dressings for a condition called EB. This is a genetic disorder, and it gives you really fragile skin that blisters like mad from any friction.

When the US put sanctions on Iran, the company stopped sales to Iran. Now, UNICEF has arranged shipments of the dressings under some sort of compassionate care exemption you can apply for, and as far as I could see this was supported by Sweden, the company, the WHO. So some tons of the bandages have been shipped to Iran. Enough? No idea.

Obviously I'm missing details. I could see why the company would obey US sanctions as they were the global gold standard for this type of dressing and losing sales to Iran versus losing the US market is a simple business decision. Weirdly if they shipped to Iran and got excluded from the US, it would be US children suffering, which is an ethical point to consider... Medical embargoes are bullshit.

There have been complaints to various UN bodies about the embargo.
I suspect the bandages are in shorter supply than before and children are probably suffering more than they should have to.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Thanks a lot, I actually thought somehow this was about some kebab dressing or the like, and some racist opinions on that. Not the medical kind of dressing. My mind could absolutely not parse what this was about enough to even google it. I feel very stupid now.

e: Yeah if X didn't block seeing the OP unless you're logged in I might have understood the point, since the reply did not mention anything about hurting kids and stuff
VVVVV

F4rt5 fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Feb 8, 2024

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

F4rt5 posted:

Thanks a lot, I actually thought somehow this was about some kebab dressing or the like, and some racist opinions on that. Not the medical kind of dressing. My mind could absolutely not parse what this was about enough to even google it. I feel very stupid now.

Thousands of Iranian kids dead or dying from lack of special kebab dressing.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

F4rt5 posted:

e: Yeah if X didn't block seeing the OP unless you're logged in I might have understood the point, since the reply did not mention anything about hurting kids and stuff
VVVVV
Strange, I can see it perfectly fine without ever having had an account. Like, it loads right unto the forums.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

UNICEF shipment press release:

https://www.unicef.org/iran/en/press-releases/unicef-procures-specialized-wound-dressings-children-suffering-epidermolysis-bullosa

So Sweden funded it.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Exactly. Rescinding a medical embargo isn't praiseworthy when it shouldn't be happening in the first place.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
god i hate this government, what wont they provide a alibi for https://www.svt.se/nyheter/utrikes/regeringen-vill-delta-i-tva-insatser-pa-roda-havet

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

i've been weirdly positively surprised by espen barth eide as norwegian foreign minister this time around. possibly because the points of comparison are huitfelt and søreide, who both deeply and passionately love the US and UK, respectively

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

*taps thread title*

https://www.dr.dk/nyheder/politik/forsvaret-erkender-kendte-til-overgreb-paa-boern-i-afghanistan

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Thread title seems like an understatement.

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER

V. Illych L. posted:

i've been weirdly positively surprised by espen barth eide as norwegian foreign minister this time around. possibly because the points of comparison are huitfelt and søreide, who both deeply and passionately love the US and UK, respectively

Ever since i read how the CIA dislikes him i have had some respect for him.

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

How do i get the CIA to dislike me

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Thread title seems like an understatement.

You have to account for the enormous amount of literal pig poo poo on Denmark also.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

BonHair posted:

You have to account for the enormous amount of literal pig poo poo on Denmark also.
But OP, it's an unenumerable amount!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

But OP, it's an unenumerable amount!

On the contrary, I'm pretty sure you can basically read it on the macro economy charts.