Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

lordfrikk posted:

Not being on Steam made it sale fodder for me.

It seems most publishers really don't get how true this is for a lot of people. I honestly didn't even know that they were making a new PoP game - I hadn't seen anything or heard mention of it. Admittedly I'm not browsing gaming sites daily like when I was in high school, so outside of super hyped games, if it's not mentioned in the Nextlanders Podcast or shows up on the steam store, I am oblivious to it, and I imagine most people are similarly disconnected from gaming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I thought Wasteland 2 was pretty good, though I don't remember much about it, so if 3 is better still I'm glad I bought it during the last sale

Orv
May 4, 2011
They didn’t market the new PoP at all until like a week before launch so it in particular was a complete surprise to many.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Orv posted:

They didn’t market the new PoP at all until like a week before launch so it in particular was a complete surprise to many.

They advertised it a bunch, people just went 'lol ubisoft' and ignored it.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Ubisoft have done a lot to make me dislike them recently so yeah I'm tending to ignore their releases unless someone grabs me by the scruff and asks if I've played it yet.

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023
Around release as well that interview with the ubi exec saying 'gamers need to get comfortable not owning games for subscriptions to take off' was being passed around and folks soured on Ubisoft a bit more.

Course the 'for subscriptions to take off' part was cut from most article titles.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

PoPSoT is a dear game from my teenage years and this new PoP looks like is slaps, but lol I'm done buying any PC game from anywhere but Steam.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

The new PoP looks great but also gently caress Ubisoft and giving them any money at all. Besides "needing to get comfortable with not owning games" the lack of response to the sex pest reports and bad management just kinda made me not want to give them any money. Unfortunately becoming true for many AAA companies at this point.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Mr E posted:

Besides "needing to get comfortable with not owning games"
The response to this kind of annoyed me because it was clear nobody actually read the article past the headline. The quote was about getting people to feel comfortable engaging with a game that they don't own, in the context of what needs to happen for subscription services to becomes successful. i.e. your progress and achievements are your own and transfer over if you buy the game outright, the actual engagement with the game is "owned" even if the game executable isn't. It wasn't about priming people to get used to not owning things.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Volte posted:

The response to this kind of annoyed me because it was clear nobody actually read the article past the headline. The quote was about getting people to feel comfortable engaging with a game that they don't own, in the context of what needs to happen for subscription services to becomes successful. i.e. your progress and achievements are your own and transfer over if you buy the game outright, the actual engagement with the game is "owned" even if the game executable isn't. It wasn't about priming people to get used to not owning things.

I want to own the executable, though. That's my entire sticking point.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

in the legal sense you don't own any games you have on steam, that ship has sailed a long time ago

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

StrixNebulosa posted:

That's a fair sticking point and reason not to use subscription services, I just mean the "Ubisoft exec says get ready to never own anything again" gotcha-headlines are just bad faith misinterpretations. Reminds me of Obama saying "you didn't build that" referring to roads and all the right wing idiots pretending he meant small businesses.

The real question and answer was basically "Q: What needs to happen for users to use subscription services? A: Users need to get more comfortable engaging with games that they don't own" and that's simply a true statement.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Volte posted:

Even with this being true Ubisoft are the architects of their own misreadings, very few people are willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and/or looking into stuff deeper if the first-pass reading or misquote just soundbite's to a variation of "you will own nothing and be happy". It feels plausible, on-brand.

People snapping to the worst read possible, even when wrong, is a hole Ubisoft dug themselves into. If this means they need to be extra careful with how they phrase things in interviews, them's the breaks.

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023

Volte posted:

I read it more as a "people will eventually get comfortable not owning games" like a prediction in the same way we're more comfortable not owning music, movies or shows with most folks using streaming services.

Orv
May 4, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

They advertised it a bunch, people just went 'lol ubisoft' and ignored it.

I genuinely saw almost nothing and I am 100% a PoP mark but maybe the great algorithm doesn’t know that.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The only time I saw any prerelease stuff for PoP was during a Nintendo Direct.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Volte posted:

I don't see any reason to give Ubisoft or any AAA dev the benefit of the doubt when they make statements like that is my issue. I realize that you don't really own digital games in general and am not completely against gamepass style things in general, I guess it's just a sore point for me with everyone dropping physical movies available in stores lately while streaming just gets worse and worse and more expensive. I have a decent physical film collection and really don't particularly want to have to start getting physical games again because the digital option for those has been better than for movies IME.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

StrixNebulosa posted:

Executives getting owned is acceptable too.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I'd like to believe that goons are very familiar with the concept of "self-owning" !!

buglord
Jul 31, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Buglord
Cruelty Squad is 60% off today! Play an overwhelmingly positive indie FPS with light immsim elements and an incredible soundtrack which was also my GOTY 2021!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1388770/Cruelty_Squad/

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
Been replaying Dying Light 2. There should be more games that let you push dudes into conveniently placed walls of spikes.

https://i.imgur.com/s7sNwsL.mp4

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I recall that Callisto Protocol had illogically placed spiked walls everywhere for you to tele throw not-necromorphs into.

Orv
May 4, 2011
A enormously powerful boot on every F key and a spike wall in every driveway, please vote for me for World President.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Dying Light is the only game where it's been logical for two reasons: because it's loving rad, and because they're set up by people in the world for just that purpose because zombies. Most games that do it just have the former logical reason.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
The wall spikes are for anti-cavalry purposes

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

RIP

https://x.com/palworlds_jp/status/1752756323953831943?s=46&t=DvvqeOcggle6VW8Wu5D9WA

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

E: fake news

explosivo fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jan 31, 2024

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Milkshake Pal

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Note that the second post is a scam account and not an official.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

If for some reason you do not have and still want to buy Spec Ops: The Line, the final Steam keys are available in a couple of places for at least one more day. One example is Humble, but also DLGamer, and Noctre.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Kennel posted:

Note that the second post is a scam account and not an official.

Oh whew.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

lol that people are evidently still falling for crypto scams enough that it's worth buying a $1000 gold checkmark to promote one

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

https://palworld.com/ is some timecube poo poo

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

repiv posted:

lol that people are evidently still falling for crypto scams enough that it's worth buying a $1000 gold checkmark to promote one

The gates have been let open to checkmark powercreep. Wait for the release of the hologram foil checkmark.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Diephoon posted:

Been replaying Dying Light 2. There should be more games that let you push dudes into conveniently placed walls of spikes.

Might I interest you in Dark Messiah of Might and Magic

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Phlegmish posted:

Might I interest you in Dark Messiah of Might and Magic
Thanks for reminding me!

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

sony has an event today who's excited for bloodborne on pc, which is definitely 100% happening

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Diephoon posted:

https://i.imgur.com/s7sNwsL.mp4

That's like, 80% of Bulletstorm's gameplay. The other 20% is everyone yelling "FUCKIN' gently caress YOU, YOU FUCKFACE!1!"

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Waffle! posted:

That's like, 80% of Bulletstorm's gameplay. The other 20% is everyone yelling "FUCKIN' gently caress YOU, YOU FUCKFACE!1!"

That must be the international title. In America it's called "Captain Swearword's Big loving Adventure."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
Every time I replay Bulletstorm, which has been a lot honestly, it takes me a minute to remember oh yeah, I can do things other than kick, leash, kick people to death. Very satisfying.