Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
I was fairly well convinced that the O’s were two or three years away from selling off all their Arb2 and Arb3 players for parts and having “smart” fans slobber all over their dicks about how much value they got

I guess we’ll see if their appalling lack of urgency is purely owner-directed or if management has bought into their own hype

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Dinosaurs! posted:

Can’t wait to take my kids to Raytheon Park in a couple years, incur a hard credit check to buy a beer, and cheer for the O’s.

Raytheon Park At Camden Yards (now moved to Baltimore County)

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

They can sell to Mussolini at this point for all I care. I don't even hate the Angeli but they've been held back by ownership since I was in high school.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

It's being reported that Cal is involved. That's good enough for me.

I've been waiting for the day to come that Cal would be an owner of the Orioles.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It’s getting more money from the owners which is overall a good thing

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
It's not a guarantee that these new guys are going to spend though. They are private equity ghouls like Sternberg. They probably think they are going to do Rays north.

Mister Perky
Aug 2, 2010

Mr. Fix It posted:

gently caress angelos. i just hope the new orioles ownership isn't like the current m's ownership

Private Equity Firm means you don't have to worry about them being like current M's ownership.

You have to worry about them being like current A's ownership.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Rubenstein is a Baltimore native. Doesn't mean he'll be a good owner, but I'm hoping this is more of a passion of his than just another way to make a buck.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Ripken seems like a steadying presence though, a guy who is genuinely invested in the success of the franchise.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Yeah bringing Cal in helps.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I remember when the Marlins’ new owners brought in a certain former Yankee infielder to run the team

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

bawfuls posted:

counterpoint: it kicks rear end

:hmmyes:

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

good riddance Angelos but wooof the last thing I'd say anyone wants to see is "private equity acquires <thing you like>" because that has a 0% success rate

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

No Safe Word posted:

good riddance Angelos but wooof the last thing I'd say anyone wants to see is "private equity acquires <thing you like>" because that has a 0% success rate

The worst one was Instant Pot.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Orioles fans definitely just heard some great news from the worst person they know.

Mark my words, they've created a golem.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jan 31, 2024

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

If the players could determine the salary structure I infer that they would choose a more equitable one (ie the money would be spread out with lower highs and higher lows )

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
They would just pick one that pays everyone more and also does not restrict their earning potential in any way

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

That isn’t possible.

There is a finite amount of money de facto

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

an instant classic Friedman pitcher contract

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/1752695610757763260

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

What is this contract

https://twitter.com/ken_rosenthal/status/1752735169671528492?s=46&t=BHs6Pl38GJXGN2Y4xeriNA

Three opt outs?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Good for Wandy, at least.

Also TIL his nickname is La Grasa, incredible.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

That's the Padres special.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

What the gently caress are the Yankees doing in the bullpen?

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/ah_pod/status/1752686814924591406

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The Padres have had such a weird offseason. They have signed like 6 free agent relievers but no starters, despite losing like 3/5ths of last year’s rotation.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

They traded for King and Vasquez

And Brito

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

No Safe Word posted:

I think the Los Angeles Dodgers are doing okay

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
personally I get extremely mad when players do things like holding out, as that minimize my enjoyment of the offseason (IT STILL HAS SEASON IN THE NAME). back in my day when you had a job you showed up and didn't complain about your pay while you were ground into dust, please see my facebook post about how college football players taking themselves out of the game right before the NFL draft are destroying America for more analysis

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

maffew buildings posted:

personally I get extremely mad when players do things like holding out, as that minimize my enjoyment of the offseason (IT STILL HAS SEASON IN THE NAME). back in my day when you had a job you showed up and didn't complain about your pay while you were ground into dust, please see my facebook post about how college football players taking themselves out of the game right before the NFL draft are destroying America for more analysis

Can you make it look like a Minion is saying this? It would drastically enhance my comprehension.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Inspector_666 posted:

Can you make it look like a Minion is saying this? It would drastically enhance my comprehension.

I'm gonna tell that you were shittalking minions ;)

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Criminal Minded posted:

I think the Los Angeles Dodgers are doing okay

They aren't owned by private equity firm folks :confused:

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Inspector_666 posted:

fuckin' A brother I would if I could I love those goofy little fuckers! We used to watch Minions every weekend with our boys before they were LIBERALIZED by SOROS SCHOOLS and I don't know how to do Photoshop for what you asked Alex did that stuff but apparently there to good for their family now that they're in college because of the "orientation day incident"

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The worst PE guys could do is rip the team down to its studs in search of milking it for profit and then moving on, but that's already what Angelos did anyway so it feels like the bottom of the barrel is just status quo.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

No Safe Word posted:

They aren't owned by private equity firm folks :confused:
seems kind of like splitting hairs to draw significant distinction between different kinds of 21st Century Finance Ghouls

Mark Walter's Guggenheim Partners does investment banking, asset management, and a bunch of other generic big finance poo poo including a private equity unit.

Steve Cohen is a hedge fund guy who of course plead guilty to insider trading in 2013 which is why he owns the Mets and not the Dodgers.

David Rubenstein's Carlyle Group is a "global investment firm" which also does asset management and private equity.

Rubenstein could run the team like the Dodgers, or the Mets, or the Rays, or perhaps a new, funnier way. We'll just have to wait and see.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jan 31, 2024

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Still straight up trash, jfc

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
If I was mistaken my bad but yeah I'm personally having a hard time seeing the difference, the big thing is that sports teams are in no way comparable to the typical industries that PE likes to slash and burn its way through, they are genuine money--printing machines, and the O's have virtually nothing to lose because we know how noxious the Angelos are

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Criminal Minded posted:

If I was mistaken my bad but yeah I'm personally having a hard time seeing the difference, the big thing is that sports teams are in no way comparable to the typical industries that PE likes to slash and burn its way through, they are genuine money--printing machines, and the O's have virtually nothing to lose because we know how noxious the Angelos are

I mean there's a difference between a PE firm buying a baseball franchise, and the guy who runs a PE firm buying it. Maybe they want to run it like the former, but still.

The league also wouldn't let somebody go full PE on a team, since it's effectively a mafia bust-down and would end with the team declaring bankruptcy.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jan 31, 2024

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Michael Bloomberg is reportedly part of the new ownership group. Bloomberg is a Hopkins alum and a massive donor to the school and hospital system.

Also Grant Hill(?)

e: okay Grant Hill's dad is from Baltimore and was a VP for the organization in the late 80s.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

mcmagic posted:

It's pretty funny to own a baseball team that is complete and utter dogshit for years, then have a great year and an actual future where you can actually be good for a while all of a sudden and then you sell.

Isn't that literally selling high?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

selling high would be finishing the build and winning a championship before you sell