Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I haven't watched the video yet, but isn't it common for non-ATX PSUs to have a huge blob of that thermal gunk between all the components?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

~Coxy posted:

I haven't watched the video yet, but isn't it common for non-ATX PSUs to have a huge blob of that thermal gunk between all the components?

I believe so yeah, my original Xbox has blobs of it on some of its power supply components.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Wouldn't be surprised if it cuts down on coil whine, depending on what components it is put on.

Seven Deadly Sins
Apr 5, 2009

I stole something that would make me fabulously wealthy...

But I eated it.

Mr.Radar posted:

The reveal of what the companion video will be about at the end had me laughing incredibly hard. I'm also on CRD's Discord server and one of the people that worked for Niveus reached out to CRD after the video went up to spill all the juicy behind the scenes details of the company since they stiffed him on his last paycheck so that should be fun :allears:

I am unreasonably excited about this and probably should join the CRDiscord, that seems like it would be a fun place.

Also I love companies that are clearly Some Dudes In A Garage, there's not enough room for that in modern tech.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Seven Deadly Sins posted:

I am unreasonably excited about this and probably should join the CRDiscord, that seems like it would be a fun place.

It is and I'd invite you but it was originally a Patreon exclusive Discord (which is how I got in) but then CRD understandably got nervous about giving people that much direct access to him for just $5/month and made it just a private server.

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jan 31, 2024

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

priznat posted:

Lol that guy is funny, He's so right about the stupid rear end giant trucks that are literally everywhere in the lower mainland.
I didn't mind it so watched another video of his, and his shtick wore thin pretty quickly on me. YMMV of course.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

slidebite posted:

I didn't mind it so watched another video of his, and his shtick wore thin pretty quickly on me. YMMV of course.

Australians can definitely be tiresome best to have them in small doses

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
do not exeed the doctor's recommended daily intake of bogan

Seven Deadly Sins
Apr 5, 2009

I stole something that would make me fabulously wealthy...

But I eated it.

Mr.Radar posted:

It is and I'd invite you but it was originally a Patreon exclusive Discord (which is how I got in) but then CRD understandably got nervous about giving people that much direct access to him for just $5/month and made it just a private server.

Yeah, that makes sense. This still seems like a good reminder to sub to his Patreon though.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013
so I guess Linus is now building a ... badminton court? That's also a LAN party center?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Mr.Radar posted:

I'm pretty sure that makes him one of the smartest content creators online.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Kibner posted:

Wouldn't be surprised if it cuts down on coil whine, depending on what components it is put on.

Yeah I've seen fixes for coil whine in GPUs that resemble that, where people use super glue to connect inductors to the board to dampen vibration.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

~Coxy posted:

That’s usually some sort of caulking-like material to keep the components from succumbing to metal fatigue from vibrations. Gluing them all together makes them mechanically one big component.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

Jeff Fatwood posted:

so I guess Linus is now building a ... badminton court? That's also a LAN party center?

He has had that project in the works since last summer. I want to say he bought the building for it not too long before the Gamers Nexus/Maddison situations.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
Wedge Regret
Whats with that dude and baminton.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

apatheticman posted:

Whats with that dude and baminton.

Badminton is the game for people who are loving terrible at tennis.

Hated playing tennis in gym, but loving loved badminton, myself.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
In my early-mid 20s I had a tutoring and college prep business with my then-partner and a few of my clients were rich families who sent their kids to an expensive online high school while they focused on various racquet sports. Part of my job with these kids was to supervise them and basically provide teaching support for a few hours while they slogged through their classes, which usually took about 4-5 hours per day.

I worked with one 14 year old squash player who was hoping to play in college like her dad and older sister and maybe try an olympic run, and one 15 year old kid whose Ivy League failson dad had just bought a tennis facility basically for him.

Kid was whip smart and a fantastic player, but he was on the spectrum among other diagnoses and he was extremely antisocial. He wasn’t expected to go to college and I don’t think he had any interest in going. He was a great tennis teacher/coach though, and he really loved it, so the plan was that he’d at least have the tennis academy to be/work at/eventually co-own, which I can’t really fault.

He spent all of his non-tennis/non-school time on League and 4chan and he was a gamergater.

The parents’ marriage was 100% falling apart and I’m pretty sure they ended my contract abruptly because they started divorce proceedings. Wife was your typical upper class well-educated Hillary lib who tried to be aware and hip to poo poo and mostly failed and the husband was the sort of libertarian that you get when the son of a construction magnate inherits a chunk of the family business.

Kid loving hated his mom. Every day the same dynamic would play out: mom would take the laptop away for any of a litany of reasons and dad would give it back to undermine her. Kid would proceed to stay up until 4AM playing League and actualizing on his hatred for his mom in the gamergate/online antifeminist/anti-SJW space.

This was in 2015 so he and I would have a lot of politics “debates” and discussions about culture war poo poo. He wasn’t even like politically conservative the way his dipshit dad kinda was. But he constantly wanted to talk about politics and had basically all of the perspectives you’d imagine a 15 year old steeped in 4chan brainrot would have.

We’d have “logical” conversations and I’d always quickly get him to some place where he’d be like “honestly if I could vote I’d probably vote for Bernie” but then he also really hated his mom and that kinda extended to all women, but like not really. I don’t think he actually believed in anything at all so much as he thought it was funny/had a desire to hurt people, especially people like his mom. Is that what being a sociopath is? Maybe he was/is a sociopath. He seemed to love animals. The one time the subject of animal abuse came up (part of his social studies curriculum involved reading and writing about the local news) he seemed genuinely horrified and angry about the idea. I don’t think he was the “hurts animals” sort though he was horrible to his siblings, and in a manner/extent that I would consider abnormal for a 15 year old.

My partner at the time worked with his younger brother and sister, both of whom went to regular in-person private school, and as far as I can tell were awesome kids. He bullied the poo poo out of them—especially the brother, who was in the process of coming out. I don’t think the parents ever got a handle on it or even understood how bad it was. They were totally out of their element on the online poo poo. As far as they knew he used the computer for “gaming”.

I literally had to explain to the mom what 4chan was one time. She was like “I swear I don’t know where he gets all of these nasty politics from. I don’t think it’s his father.”

“You don’t know the websites that he goes to? Because he literally tells me about them all the time. Do you know what 4chan is?”

“No, what’s that? Is that like a chat room?”

I hope he’s doing better now, but in all honesty he’s probably a member of kiwifarms.

Anyway, it’d be really funny to me if Linus turned into a rich weird sports dad working to get his kids badminton scholarships and sending them to Laurel Springs so they can train six days a week on their backyard court.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jan 31, 2024

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

it's a Badminton centre he can convert to a LAN/Events centre overnight. It's probably got mad tax incentives and stuff because it's a sports / atheletics venue. Linus is dumb but his accountants aren't.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Battle of the Bands
(Ages 13+)
Friday, March 1
doors open 7PM
at the Linus Sebastian Civic Center

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

No-one has ever written anything about the rich man buying the community center.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I hope he gets extorted by Surrey gangsters

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

trilobite terror posted:

Is that what being a sociopath is? Maybe he was/is a sociopath. He seemed to love animals.

So did Tony Soprano.

Willeh
Jun 25, 2003

God hates a coward

Former Human posted:

So did Tony Soprano.

So did Adolf Hitler

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Willeh posted:

So did Adolf Hitler

:thejoke:

gnatalie
Jul 1, 2003

blasting women into space

njsykora posted:

No-one has ever written anything about the rich man buying the community center.

mister evrart is helping me find my tech tips

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
The latest Technology Connections video on flash bulbs is great, he teamed up with the Slow Mo Guys to film them in 200k FPS:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEm-2giH_zw

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

well why not posted:

it's a Badminton centre he can convert to a LAN/Events centre overnight. It's probably got mad tax incentives and stuff because it's a sports / atheletics venue. Linus is dumb but his accountants aren't.

The LAN center aspect is mostly so he can run his Whale LANs regularly and make piles of cash off his most parasocial fans without disrupting things at the studio space or paying to rent out a space that may be ill-suited to having a hundred or so high spec PCs running full out. I'm sure the internal company events (X-Mas parties, summer stuff, etc.) will end up there as well.

That said, his operation really has become LLTT: Land Lord Tech Tips. Got in early before things really got nuts in the lower mainland starting with his first house, and has so far successfully rolled it forward as soon as the company could afford more as quickly as he could. Debt load on LMG must be wild.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYxQ4Lvqn14

This kind of overlaps with the networking thread but I have never seen someone explain why these things are loving amazing so well.

Last year on my summer vacation I used one of these connected through Tailscale to my home server (And a back up on my Synology NAS), everywhere we went, connect it to WiFi and everything acted like it was on our home network, because it was. Plug a Google TV into the hotel TV and Hulu Live TV worked flawlessly.

You can even use Apple TVs as exit nodes now, so you don't need any sort of server setup at home to do this.

wibble
May 20, 2001
Meep meep
Is putting the logo of your old company and making it a computer case and putting it on a wall bit like a hunter putting the head of a dead deer on the wall also the same?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

wibble posted:

Is putting the logo of your old company and making it a computer case and putting it on a wall bit like a hunter putting the head of a dead deer on the wall also the same?
That's a pretty loving rad idea :black101:

Unfortunately, I can't do that because I've ship of Theseus'd my workstation over the years, and it's always just been called monolith(.local).

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

njsykora posted:

CRD got that massive fanless HTPC he showed in one of his recent thrifting videos. Truly answering the question of "how much is too much thermal paste" when an entire side of the power supply is slathered in it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2OPrGBxkD0

CRD (and Metal Jesus for retro games people) turn up at RE:PC in the Seattle area - http://www.repc.com/ which occasionally gets some uh, that's not a windows PC :dogstare: items.

Back when I was in college at U of Illinois there's a sizable research institution as part of the campus, and it was just around the time when proprietary Unix workstation systems were seeing their end. Who needs a lab full of $15000 UltraSPARC Sun Blade running solaris when a $1500 Pentium 4 Dell running Redhat was just as fine or better for the kids learning C++.
So, I got to visit a similar dumping ground for scrap hardware. All kinds of exotic poo poo wound up going through there. I only wish I could have visited similar places in Silicon Valley or MIT at the time.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Coffee Jones posted:

CRD (and Metal Jesus for retro games people) turn up at RE:PC in the Seattle area - http://www.repc.com/ which occasionally gets some uh, that's not a windows PC :dogstare: items.

Back when I was in college at U of Illinois there's a sizable research institution as part of the campus, and it was just around the time when proprietary Unix workstation systems were seeing their end. Who needs a lab full of $15000 UltraSPARC Sun Blade running solaris when a $1500 Pentium 4 Dell running Redhat was just as fine or better for the kids learning C++.
So, I got to visit a similar dumping ground for scrap hardware. All kinds of exotic poo poo wound up going through there. I only wish I could have visited similar places in Silicon Valley or MIT at the time.

But that is a windows PC! And a lot of other things, but it was a windows PC.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

Coffee Jones posted:

SPARCs and even SGIs used to turn up at Boeing Surplus and Re:PC back in the early 00's. A few of my nerdier friends picked them up. Neat to play with, but even then, yeah, were getting out classed quick.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Coffee Jones posted:

Yea, there's a few places around the US that are sort of a mecca for retro-hardware enthusiasts.

Years back I had plans to do a year-long RV-roadtrip from Los Angeles up to Seattle, over to New York and down to Key West with a friend, but unfortunately life and health complications got in the way - we were definitely planning on visiting all the good spots, just in the hopes of finding something.
I don't think we had any clue how we were going to get it back to Denmark, but we'd solve that problem if we ran into it.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
I went to repc not long ago, got some cool stuff, will be back

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Do we have a thread for talking about retro hardware?

If not, should we have one?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Do we have a thread for talking about retro hardware?

If not, should we have one?

There's the tech relics thread

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3756559

Edit wow the start of that thread is NOT what it's like now. Skip to the end.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

We have a gaming-focused one in the retro games subform: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3577352

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Fil5000 posted:

There's the tech relics thread

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3756559

Edit wow the start of that thread is NOT what it's like now. Skip to the end.

It started in gbs then moved to PYF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Don't think I have stumbled into that forum before. Thanks for linking that. It's up my alley.