Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

If this idea to recognize the state of Palestine doesn't involve Israel ceasing to exist, I'm finding it tough to see that as much more than "pre-October 7th status quo". Am I wrong? I don't buy a mealy- mouthed word the State Department says about anything.

only issue i have with that is i do not know how a 1 state solution that removes israel's government and allows for Truth and Reconciliation commissions and poo poo can happen any time soon. So in the meantime is a 2 state better than just a ceasefire?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

only issue i have with that is i do not know how a 1 state solution that removes israel's government and allows for Truth and Reconciliation commissions and poo poo can happen any time soon. So in the meantime is a 2 state better than just a ceasefire?

2 state is demonstrably worse than a ceasefire.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

theyre going to put him in prison for this one

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
the 2-state solution as proposed by the US and by Israeli 'progressives' is just a reservation, even in the absolute rosiest most optimistic scenario where the settlements stop and Israel lifts the blockade it would still have no more meaningful sovereignty or autonomy than my tribal government does

for a more modern example you can look at apartheid South Africa's attempt to emulate the American reservation model with their 'bantustans', which South Africa insisted were separate sovereign and independent countries, and see how well that worked out

reservations in the US are at least usually territorially contiguous, though - even if they decided to completely lock down the borders of Pine Ridge or Standing Rock you could still travel from one end of the rez to the other

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

2 state solution is the “humanitarian pause” of options because we all know it would jus the another bantustan.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Retromancer posted:

lol if Joe Biden is the president that gives US recognition to a Palestinian state.

lucky ducky rear end geopolitics between that and the afghanistan withdrawal

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Mismanaging the empire so hard you're reluctantly forced to make the bare minimum of correct decisions.

Lmao if having a hardcore zionist cutout for a president ends up doing the most damage to the zionist project.

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS

Mister Bates posted:

the 2-state solution as proposed by the US and by Israeli 'progressives' is just a reservation, even in the absolute rosiest most optimistic scenario where the settlements stop and Israel lifts the blockade it would still have no more meaningful sovereignty or autonomy than my tribal government does

for a more modern example you can look at apartheid South Africa's attempt to emulate the American reservation model with their 'bantustans', which South Africa insisted were separate sovereign and independent countries, and see how well that worked out

reservations in the US are at least usually territorially contiguous, though - even if they decided to completely lock down the borders of Pine Ridge or Standing Rock you could still travel from one end of the rez to the other

the palestinians will get to enjoy a new type of unbelievably petty band politics, which should be entertaining for a little while.

always gotta look on the bright side.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

does it seem like israel is really going to pull out and try to attack hezbollah? that seems monumentally stupid

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

I feel like formally recognizing palestine while continuing to support israel's current form and policies and government, is less of a positive step toward real palestinian liberation and more like legitimizing what is effectively a palestinian bantustan

efb rip

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013

Mister Bates posted:

An old man in South Africa broke down crying to one of my friends, explaining that the domestic worker who cleaned his childhood home was kidnapped from a Bantustan. His parents paid people from one Bantustan to go raid a "rival" Bantustan and bring back a young girl.

I imagine this is what Zionists want.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Frosted Flake posted:

I do wonder if Israel feels a pang of guilt about "confirming" the worst stereotypes about Jewish people in their actions, while shouting blood libel at every turn.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

that shoot's as bad as an IDF soldier confronted with a toddler.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

a Palestinian state would be a fast track to ICC jurisdiction of Israel

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Hatebag posted:

does it seem like israel is really going to pull out and try to attack hezbollah? that seems monumentally stupid

First as tragedy then as farce the Nazis couldn’t help not committing state suicide by cop Stalin by deciding invade Russia and then provoke the USA which were the only two states that had the combination of industrial base and population each by themselves to flatten Germany.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

yeah at the end of the day it's up to the people of palestine to communicate their desires as far as recognition or not or whatever but i would definitely encourage being cautious about any us government gestures in that direction because :d2a:

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

euphronius posted:

a Palestinian state would be a fast track to ICC jurisdiction of Israel

Israel would nuke the world before they gave up sovereignty to the the Hague.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news...0000#1507736291
Hamas sources: Haniyeh willing to accept hostage deal if guarantees for permanent cease-fire are provided

Hamas will go along with a hostage deal if guarantees for an extended cease-fire are provided, say Hamas political sources who spoke to Haaretz.

According to the sources, the head of Hamas' political bureau, Ismail Haniyeh, is inclined to approve the outline of the hostage deal if the intermediaries provide guarantees for a comprehensive ceasefire in the final stage.

The sources added that Hamas would be willing to advance the mentioned outline even if it is not accompanied by an immediate declaration of a complete and immediate ceasefire.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

First as tragedy then as farce the Nazis couldn’t help not committing state suicide by cop Stalin by deciding invade Russia and then provoke the USA which were the only two states that had the combination of industrial base and population each by themselves to flatten Germany.

i guess that's the downside of having an insane junkie be in charge of your country

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Considering israel dont want any ceasefire of any kind i dont see it getting anywhere

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

"US sends special troops to liberate hostage" brings back memories of Operation Eagle Claw. Of course, they probably mean "diplomaticly".

Toplowtech has issued a correction as of 20:37 on Jan 31, 2024

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 21 days!)

HallelujahLee posted:

Considering israel dont want any ceasefire of any kind i dont see it getting anywhere

The deal will be implemented in secret and trigger a civil war once they're leaked. Itamar Ben Gvir will try riding a tank like Yeltsin did, and fall into the treads.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

While a Palestinian state recognized and set up by liberal zionists would probably be just a bantustan, I think we've seen that even the fig leaves used to legitimize apartheid are too outrageous for the right wing who represent the actual bloodthirsty Israeli public. They want full sugar genocide, none of this diet neo-colonialism.

It's kind of like the ICJ report where the more canny zionists know they could just bullshit it by saying "well of course we agree genocide is bad and we're working to prevent it". Even that insincere answer though acknowledges the idea that the ICJ merits a response, so instead the ministers hold a dance party at a settler convention.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Ff didn't even say anything that weird, he just phrased it poorly.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Harik posted:

that shoot's as bad as an IDF soldier confronted with a toddler.

The whole thread has been hinting at it since day one but you aren't supposed to say it out loud!

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dolash posted:

It's kind of like the ICJ report where the more canny zionists know they could just bullshit it by saying "well of course we agree genocide is bad and we're working to prevent it". Even that insincere answer though acknowledges the idea that the ICJ merits a response, so instead the ministers hold a dance party at a settler convention.

A lot of what the IDF is doing right now is "studying for the test." They're making a lot of performative gestures meant to prove that they're meeting their provisional obligations. Like, you can't blame Israel for not sending aid through Karem Shalom; it was protesters who stopped them.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

I don't think the US story 'it was the same time one of our drones was coming in to land' stacks up.

anyone know what sort of sensors are deployed on these bases?

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

I don't think the ff post was antisemitic but i can understand not wanting to encourage people to make similar posts that could very well be antisemitic. but that shouldn't be 3 days

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Lmao if IAF did a uss liberty on land

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

ughhhh posted:

Lmao if IAF did a uss liberty on land

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hatebag posted:

I don't think the ff post was antisemitic but i can understand not wanting to encourage people to make similar posts that could very well be antisemitic. but that shouldn't be 3 days

Accusing FF of antisemitism is the most insulting thing about it. They just put in his rap sheet that he's doing antisemitic thought experiments. What's Jeffrey or an admin supposed to think about that?

Sancho Banana
Aug 4, 2023

Not to be confused with meat.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The deal will be implemented in secret and trigger a civil war once they're leaked. Itamar Ben Gvir will try riding a tank like Yeltsin did, and fall into the treads.

Pictured: commander in Chief of the Kahanist Khamas Khaters, an armed militia that was active during the Israeli Civil War.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

https://aje.io/i37ezs?update=2666472

quote:

US says it raised Gaza buffer zone issue with Israel

State Department spokesperson Matthew Miller tells reporters that Washington opposes any reduction in the size of Gaza territory.

In recent days, there have been reports of Israeli forces demolishing a number of buildings around the perimeter of Gaza’s border with Israel, and Israeli media reported that officials plan to create an informal buffer zone about a kilometre (half a mile) wide to prevent potential future attackers from reaching Israeli communities near Gaza.

Asked about the destruction of a university in Gaza, Miller said that the United States had raised the issue of demolition of sites and Israel reported they were conducted only when they were sites from which terrorist activities were launched, plotted or planned.

I know that the U.S. is just trying to provide cover for the Gaza Genocide, but still... god drat America.

Israeli media is reporting that the demolitions are to provide a buffer zone, based on what they've been told from Israeli officials, but the State Department is positive that that's not right. Like, gently caress, they can't even do a good job of lying, they're just spitting in our faces and saying it's raining

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sancho Banana posted:

Pictured: commander in Chief of the Kahanist Khamas Khaters, an armed militia that was active during the Israeli Civil War.

more like the milletia

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Accusing FF of antisemitism is the most insulting thing about it. They just put in his rap sheet that he's doing antisemitic thought experiments. What's Jeffrey or an admin supposed to think about that?

that's true. next time some d&d or gbs guy reports him for not supporting a war they could bring the hammer down on him. that should be revised

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Malloc Voidstar posted:

https://www.axios.com/2024/01/31/palestine-statehood-biden-israel-gaza-war
State Department reviewing options for possible recognition of Palestinian state

do it

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

crazy things usually happen when ff is on long probes so i say let the mods cook

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS
once it hits the lepers colony it's not an accusation, it's a branding.

Pomeroy
Apr 20, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

Apparently there were walkouts at at least 15 local High Schools:
https://twitter.com/pslnational/status/1752395850339291446

https://twitter.com/pslnational/status/1752452941078839667

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Abu Obeida sighs as he slips the blackberry back into his pocket; Another post misinterpreted, another break from the forums. Nothing else to do but return to the wars at-hand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

If this idea to recognize the state of Palestine doesn't involve Israel ceasing to exist, I'm finding it tough to see that as much more than "pre-October 7th status quo". Am I wrong? I don't buy a mealy- mouthed word the State Department says about anything.

https://palwatch.org/storage/documents/hamas%20new%20policy%20document%20010517.pdf

"Hamas - A Document of General Principles and Policies posted:

20. Hamas believes that no part of the land of Palestine shall be compromised or conceded, irrespective of the causes, the circumstances and the pressures and no matter how long the occupation lasts. Hamas rejects any alternative to the full and complete liberation of Palestine, from the river to the sea. However, without compromising its rejection of the Zionist entity and without relinquishing any Palestinian rights, Hamas considers the establishment of a fully sovereign and independent Palestinian state, with Jerusalem as its capital along the lines of the 4th of June 1967, with the return of the refugees and the displaced to their homes from which they were expelled, to be a formula of national consensus.

If Palestine can get a UN seat it will be game changing. It opens up a bunch of legal avenues. Of course this is why the fascist United States of America will never allow it.